Would bringing in a high-$ free agent mess w/chemistry?

Rat

Reaction score
pehawk":5s4g8n6r said:
Oh, I didn't know Osi's gonna get anything more than a 1-2 year deal. Do tell.
I have no idea how much he'll get, but based on how much he's whined about his contract in recent years, I just don't see him signing a 1 year $4 million contract. There will be enough demand for him, given the position he plays. Every year, we see these contracts that surprise people. Hugh Douglas was about the same age as Osi when he hit free agency, and got 5 years $27 million, and that was ten years ago.

Was Bowe a better example? I think either relates.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":10x9vt34 said:
SuperHawks":10x9vt34 said:
Good post. I've been thinking a lot about this exact scenario since the Revis rumors started up. I think it would, especially in the case of Revis. Sherman would not take kindly to that, I'm quite certain.

And, Sherman would have a point, IMO.
I tend to agree with the Sherman gig, because most of the players don't feel that they are too far away from that brass ring, er, should I say Super Bowl Ring, although I believe that we are lacking in certain areas (crushing Defensive line) (Pass Rush), that they feel is not getting it done with certain players on the roster.
I think they realize that with the right moves to fill the open holes, they wouldn't object to it.
Revi$ would probably create a controver$y though.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Rat":1ej18wwa said:
pehawk":1ej18wwa said:
Oh, I didn't know Osi's gonna get anything more than a 1-2 year deal. Do tell.
I have no idea how much he'll get, but based on how much he's whined about his contract in recent years, I just don't see him signing a 1 year $4 million contract. There will be enough demand for him, given the position he plays. Every year, we see these contracts that surprise people. Hugh Douglas was about the same age as Osi when he hit free agency, and got 5 years $27 million, and that was ten years ago.

Was Bowe a better example? I think either relates.

Old CBA. Osi will get, max $6M, if someone overpays.

Not sure how Bowe relates.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I have often seen teams give money to a "really good" free agent and they don't play anywhere near the hype that got them the money. Too often too many players once they get the money they lose the passion. Players need to show that they deserve the good money before they get it. Sorry but I don't like how much some of these ego trips get paid before they even show their goods. It is like purchasing something on line then when it gets there it doesn't do half of what it was said to do.

Rat

Reaction score
pehawk":1vs5ked9 said:
Not sure how Bowe relates.

You don't think Bowe will be a high priced free agent?

As for Osi, if I'm wrong, it sure won't be the first time, but I really think people are going to be surprised at how much money he gets.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1rjdq0tv said:
Do you think for one min that Russell Wilson will allow anyone on this team to not dial it up based on what someone else is getting paid?

This team has leadership. Not worried one bit.

This is kind of how I feel. There's leadership, there's professionalism, and there's direction. It's a team with their eyes set on the Super Bowl and not so much on their own contracts...I hope.

I'd like to think that Sherman is the kind of guy who looks for his validation in his accomplishments on the field, in the media's acknowledgement of the Seahawks' talent, and in the W column. I hope he's not also going to look to the size of the contract the Seahawks give him. Countless players around the league get paid exorbitant sums, and they never sniff the playoffs. Will this perspective enable Sherman to look past a Revis-sized contract and play for the real honors?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Kixkahn":23tt2j0q said:
I have often seen teams give money to a "really good" free agent and they don't play anywhere near the hype that got them the money. Too often too many players once they get the money they lose the passion. Players need to show that they deserve the good money before they get it. Sorry but I don't like how much some of these ego trips get paid before they even show their goods. It is like purchasing something on line then when it gets there it doesn't do half of what it was said to do.
Boy ain't that the truth.
That's why I really like the "Incentive Clause" tied to some of those signings.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3o6agx54 said:
Tech Worlds":3o6agx54 said:
Do you think for one min that Russell Wilson will allow anyone on this team to not dial it up based on what someone else is getting paid?

This is kind of how I feel. There's leadership, there's professionalism, and there's direction. It's a team with their eyes set on the Super Bowl and not so much on their own contracts...I hope.

I'd like to think that Sherman is the kind of guy who looks for his validation in his accomplishments on the field, in the media's acknowledgement of the Seahawks' talent, and in the W column. I hope he's not also going to look to the size of the contract the Seahawks give him. Countless players around the league get paid exorbitant sums, and they never sniff the playoffs. Will this perspective enable Sherman to look past a Revis-sized contract and play for the real honors?
That all sounds good on the surface, but not so much under the skin.
In real life, money greases the wheels, and if a player doesn't receive recognition on payday for giving his all, and sees another skimming the cream off the top?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I just think the offense and defense are seperate in this hypothetical. Wags, Earl, BB, Sherm, BB may not view that as a peer thing.

hawkpride

Reaction score
It seems to me that this fo has always stood for the fact that you play well, you get paid. They have stated that its their position to retain players from within that perform. If a FA comes in and gets better money, then maybe the person playing the position previously didn't warrent the bigger bucks.
This is the business end and the players know it, although don't like it, i'm sure.

Just my humble opinion.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
The bigger problem with the Jimmy Mac signing was that Kemp, aside from that outsider being taken care of first, when he had been promised a max deal by the Ackerleys which didn't happen, he also saw what we all saw. The Sonics signed a guy that sucked and wasn't going to help the team. That money was now gone, and less money was available to take care of the guys who were already there. Now.... if they had signed even Dikembe Mutombo I don't think the reaction is the same, because Shawn and everybody else sees that the team will improve on the inside, this will open up opportunities for Shawn, including more points, a better shot at a title, endorsements, etc. He didn't feel Mac did anything but waste money. I felt the same. It was a godawful signing.

As a Seahawks player you look at the big signing and say, "Hmmm... does this take us to the next level?" If it does? Then you like it, because it increases your value. Look at how much our coordinators value went up after this year. If the Hawks win a Superbowl Richard Sherman's value jumps considerably. Does he care who pays him? Probably not. He just wants to get a buttload of money from somebody. We'd all like to believe he wants to stay a Hawk for life, but I don't think many major leaguers think that way.

If I were on the Hawks and I saw Osi and Dockett brought in, I'd be absolutely ecstatic, especially if I'm a DB, because it makes my job easier, and helps me get more INT's from the defensive pressure on the QB. As a LBer I'd be happy as I see the fact that the front pressure helps me in my assignments. If I'm an offensive player, I'm happy, because then our game winning drives with a minute left are much less likely to end in a loss.

I think the players are smart enough to see an upgrade when one comes along. It isn't "not paying your current guys" if you sign somebody at a position of weakness or where we have nobody under contract. Jones is a free agent, I believe Branch is a free agent. We have Mebane, Irvin, and Clemons making the majority of the money on the line, and Clemons is hurt, and the other guys will go get their best deal. I'd gladly swap out branch and jones and end up with Dockett. I think the whole team would be stoked to have him, because he is the exact type of player we need in the middle (If not the exact guy, then he is the type we need for sure).

chris98251

Reaction score
Green Bay is the model, last real big FA they brought in was Woodson, they take care of their own, if the player gets to long in the tooth or too expensive they let him go. At the very least as John has done they say go ahead and look and come back and let us know how ya did after an offer was tabled and not taken.

The exception is key positions like QB or maybe CB's and pass rushers. You seen how they don't pay the big dollars to RB's there, some of the ones they and wanted big dollars and they either cut or let them go. They also have had issues with the running game there recently as well. Could be a error on their judgement of the ability of the guys behind them or the line not opening up holes. But the point I was making is they take care of their own and don't pay for FA's with big contracts.

chris98251

Reaction score
If we brought in Dockett who has produced it would be a lot like Reggie White in GB, you have no doubt what your getting. Signing a guy that doesn't have a history for more then the guys here would be an issue. Osi has been whineing for years in NY, he isn't young, been injured. I don't think that attitude would fly here since he comes across as I'm bigger then the team.

Osi was impressive early on granted, but he would need to be screened well to make sure that his skill set was not eroded, I would still make it a incentive laden contract never the less if he did sign, and make it a Jones type deal with the produce and you can get a second chance on the market type.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't think so. Guys like Wilson, Sherman and Thomas know that it's the NFLPA and that agreement that sets the rules. However at the end of the rookie contract they will expect to be paid.

In the case of Flynn they disparity is so large I think that could be an issue. The team seems to really like Wilson on a personal level. Flynn rarely sees game time and sits. That I think could be aggravating to the team as a whole.

Zowert

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":29bw7ph6 said:

This..

Seahawks have a good leader, and now that he's not a rookie anymore. It will only add to the respect Russell Wilson has already earned. Sherman is painted as the biggest D-bag in the NFL by the major sports media outlets (ESPN, FOX, CBS and even the NFL's own website), but seeing him on the Real Rob Report and various local interviews says differently. Sherman was one of the few guys that actually got of his vehicle to personally thank fans, sign autographs and pose for pictures when hundreds of Seahawks fans showed up at the VMAC to congratulate the Hawks for having a great season. Even after the heart breaking loss in Atlanta.

I think Richard Sherman knows his pay day is coming, so he'll keep his mouth shut and play ball (even if he doesn't like a high priced corner like Revis coming in). Sherm may run his mouth on the field but he's not like a Terrell Owens, who talks trash about his teammates as well as opponents. Besides, Sherman has shown he can back up everything he says. Unlike TO's last two seasons in the NFL, he was often shut down by younger/faster DB's and still ran his mouth at or about them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scutterhawk":229p6us9 said:
MontanaHawk05":229p6us9 said:
Tech Worlds":229p6us9 said:

That all sounds good on the surface, but not so much under the skin.
In real life, money greases the wheels, and if a player doesn't receive recognition on payday for giving his all, and sees another skimming the cream off the top?

Cynicism agrees with you, but every time I've brought my cynicism into my opinions on the Pete Carroll Seahawks, I've been proven wrong.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Always Compete. (waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive and unrealistic though).

CANHawk

Reaction score
Depends on the who and the what i'd reckon. If it's a position of need like 3-tech or Will LB and a guy who fits the system, I can't see any of our guys getting too bent out of shape if we bring in a free agent to better the team.

I also can't see JS over-pay for an aging FA with limited d upside the way Timmy used to. If he brings somebody in, it'll either be a young guy with lots of tread left on the tires like Sidney and Zack or a vet at a reasonable price (and a short deal) who fills a need like Raheem Brock or Brandon Stokley.

I trust that the current regime understands that the team is greater than the sum of its parts and that a big ticket FA signing can do just as much harm as good. I'm not too worried about them making a move that screws with team chemistry (and I highly doubt they trade for Revis).

drdiags

Reaction score
The FO is very wary of the type of player they bring into the locker room. They did bring in Winslow, TO and Edwards but didn't seem to hear a peep out of any of them, even after they walked. Then again all were descending in value to a team versus a young player getting his second contract or a Revis coming in on an expired re-negotiated deal.

It is a fine line and the days of letting a Housh walk with $6M is probably over. Even though the FO has done a yeoman's job of getting things on track, just like some fans, there are probably advisers to Paul Allen that will talk about the money paid to Whitehurst and Flynn which will keep the FO from just letting competition be the only criteria for retaining players.

The financial commitment made to Red is an example where the team cannot just declare they are going to move away from the current DL construction. But that is another story. Yet this is an example of how a veteran coming in will recognize he is untouchable for the most part. And that could lead to chemistry issues.

It is an interesting consideration the FO has to weigh when reaching out to a targeted FA.