Favorite QB in the draft?

kearly

Reaction score
Yeah, the Barkley thing highlights how most people just cling to a hive mentality. People rarely give reasons for Barkley's massive draft drop, and when they do, it's usually "7-6". As if that had nothing to do with incompetent coaching, a porous defense, or an offensive line that sorely missed a guy who went #4 overall the year before. Not to mention that Barkley was not even the QB in two of those losses. In the 4 games Barkley did lose, his offense averaged 32.25 points per game.

Not a fan of Bray, never have been. His mobility is basically Mallett-esque, and as a thrower he's Nick Foles with a better arm. Locks on to WRs... rarely if ever checks reads. I'm not in love with his inefficient throwing motion either. He is going to be a pick machine in the NFL. Coaching has gotten so good that these kinds of QBs can be salvaged, but if you want to know what limits a QBs upside, it's what's above the neck, not what's below it. Not saying he will bust, but Andy Dalton with a lot less mobility is his maximum upside.

Not sure if I have a favorite QB this year. Lots of "Jay Cutler" caliber QBs in this draft (Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib). Geno Smith is really hard to project. He wows you but really lacks when it comes to intangibles and consistency. Matt Barkley's maximum upside is probably Matt Ryan. If you just want a good starter this is a great draft early, but not seeing any superstar to get geeked over. And in the later picks, I'm not seeing as many intriguing "potential steals" as last year. Darron Thomas really did screw up not staying an extra year.

If I had a favorite QB, with some reluctance I'd probably say... oh never mind. I'm trying to ration how many mentions I make of him before the draft arrives.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2vytzcb9 said:
Hasselbeck":2vytzcb9 said:
Matthew Barkley.

My mid-round steal though? Tyler Bray.

Good shout on Bray. SUPERB arm-talent. If only he wasn't a complete numb-nuts in the decision making department, he'd be a sure-fire first rounder. I've never seen a more frustratingly brilliant QB. Everything is there for him, but you watch the games and want to climb into the TV and shake him. "What the hell did you see there!!??"

I can only put it down to not working hard enough. Put 50% of Russell Wilson's drive in Tyler Bray and he could be the #1 pick this year. And that's why he's going to go in the middle rounds. But as a cheap backup he has enough talent as a passer to go 3-1 in relief. So unless he's a complete idiot (some people have suggested he could be) then I'd be all over that in the middle rounds.

And Barkley deserves so much more credit than he's getting. Some of the things you see written about Barkley are just silly.

Agreed completely. I would love to have Bray behind Wilson .. maybe Russ rubs off on him (how could he not?) and his work ethic/knowledge of the game begins to match his physical attributes.

It's crazy, you look at the Vols roster and they had talent.. I think their coaching was really to blame.. Dooley is an idiot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CPHawk":17xisyr1 said:
Matt Barkley isn't a leader IMO and that's why SC locker room was a zoo. Russel Wilson would never have a team who has guys fighting in the locker room.

:lol:

Barkley wasn't a leader? He started for four years and was named a team captain as a sophomore (only sophomore in school history to have that distinction)

Barkley wasn't the problem, it was Lane Kiffin and Monte Kiffin.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3q69z0um said:
CPHawk":3q69z0um said:
Matt Barkley isn't a leader IMO and that's why SC locker room was a zoo. Russel Wilson would never have a team who has guys fighting in the locker room.

Barkley wasn't a leader? He started for four years and was named a team captain as a sophomore (only sophomore in school history to have that distinction)

We get it, you hate Flynn. Enough!

If Barkley slides, it'll make the draft interesting. Remember when Aaron Rogers slid?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":27ux1l4v said:
Hasselbeck":27ux1l4v said:
CPHawk":27ux1l4v said:

We get it, you hate Flynn. Enough!

If Barkley slides, it'll make the draft interesting. Remember when Aaron Rogers slid?
I wonder if Dallas gives him a look if he falls that far. Romo isn't as as deep in the grave as Farve was, but Dallas is the only team that far down in the draft without a QB in waiting. Let him sit for a few years and I think he comes out strong when he gets his chance.

pehawk

Reaction score
My surprise Barkley team is the Rams. English said Vikes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":1uevnwyo said:
My surprise Barkley team is the Rams. English said Vikes.

I'd say the odds of Barkley landing in our division are pretty solid.. could see the Cardinals taking him as well.

Latest posts