Drew Brees: "RW's talent level probably higher than mine."

Fox0r

Reaction score
"As far as just pure ability to throw the football, he’s got it. He’s a great athlete. He can make all kinds of plays with his legs – a lot more than I’ve ever been able to make. So I would say his talent level probably is a little higher than mine.” - New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees on Russell Wilson

Brees then went that even one better, admitting that the season-long comparisons between himself and Wilson have been “very flattering.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 5157d5d880

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1rci8zok said:
Very rarely will one QB make that comparison to a rookie! That says a lot about Drew Brees.

And also about Russell Wilson!

Bakergirl

Reaction score
This makes me smile. Coming from Drew Brees that's quite a compliment.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The best part in all of this is knowing it's not just Seahawks fans HOPING Russell Wilson will be the quarterback we've waited for since the beginning of the franchise in 1976. Everybody KNOWS he is the real deal.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Absolutely, I can see great things from Russell in the future. You guys got one hell of a steal by drafting him. People will always talk mad trash about his height, all he has to do is keep proving them wrong by making plays.

:th2thumbs:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man, I have always liked Drew, this just makes me like him even more. If Russell can turn out to be anything close to how Drew was/is i would be one happy Hawks fan.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
IronSaint":2k2jeyxm said:
Absolutely, I can see great things from Russell in the future. You guys got one hell of a steal by drafting him. People will always talk mad trash about his height, all he has to do is keep proving them wrong by making plays.

Precisely, and that will always be the fuel to his fire that will guarantee continued personal and team success as long as Russell Wilson is our quarterback.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Aros":3itueuas said:
IronSaint":3itueuas said:

Precisely, and that will always be the fuel to his fire that will guarantee continued personal and team success as long as Russell Wilson is our quarterback.

Yeah, I hope they continue talking trash and underestimating him. Prove 'em all wrong, Dangeruss!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I disagree with all the talk about his height will not cease. The more he wins in the NFL and the more awards he captures less and less of these fools will want to stick their necks out. Sure there will be the occasional knee jerk after a loss or if RW has bad game but as time goes by those idiots will shut up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1nokjmb7 said:
Man, I have always liked Drew, this just makes me like him even more. If Russell can turn out to be anything close to how Drew was/is i would be one happy Hawks fan.
Yeah, I too have always liked Breese for his non-arrogance, and team first attitude.
Wilson has a self assured aura about him, and it rubs off on his team mates.
He exudes a quiet confidence in himself, and works his ass off to getting everyone on the same plane of thinking.
Breese recognizes that something special in Wilson, just as Moon, Schneider, and Gruden does....Mad Respect right there Hawks fans. :th2thumbs:

Zowert

Reaction score
Wow.. To have a guy like Drew Brees say something like that. It's comforting [for us fans] to say the least.

This is a big off-topic but: One thing I've noticed about Russell Wilson is the size of his hands. If you look at many of the great quarterbacks in NFL history, most of them had enormous hands. With that in mind, I heard one of the FOX commentators during a game late in the season mention that Russell Wilson has 'one of the' largest hands in the National Football League, with 10 1/4 inch hands. This is actually the biggest set of hands i've been able to find while Googling to find other NFL quarterbacks. Andrew Luck has 10 in, Kaepernick has 9 3/4, and most of the starting QB's I have actually found their combine measurements on were under 10 inches (if only a little under).

I know they measure the size of a QB prospect's hands at the combine and i'm not sure how big of a deal this is but it can't just be a coincidence. That pretty much every professional quarterback has this one trait in common, especially some of the best of all time. Having big hands simply means they can grip the ball better, right? You often see Wilson scrambling with one hand on the ball and he never drops it while scrambling, even with one hand on the ball.

Is this the only purpose for the hand measurements, or is there something i'm missing? Big hands = easier to throw tight spiral..?

Sorry if that's a weird question. It is just something I have always wondered..

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Aros":14owxmix said:
The best part in all of this is knowing it's not just Seahawks fans HOPING Russell Wilson will be the quarterback we've waited for since the beginning of the franchise in 1976. Everybody KNOWS he is the real deal.

Wilson's very popular it seems around the NFL in general.

Type of guy that gets non-Seahawks fans wearing his jersey.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Zowert":32es0qz1 said:
Wow.. To have a guy like Drew Brees say something like that. It's comforting [for us fans] to say the least.

This is a big off-topic but: One thing I've noticed about Russell Wilson is the size of his hands. If you look at many of the great quarterbacks in NFL history, most of them had enormous hands. With that in mind, I heard one of the FOX commentators during a game late in the season mention that Russell Wilson has 'one of the' largest hands in the National Football League, with 10 1/4 inch hands. This is actually the biggest set of hands i've been able to find while Googling to find other NFL quarterbacks. Andrew Luck has 10 in, Kaepernick has 9 3/4, and most of the starting QB's I have actually found their combine measurements on were under 10 inches (if only a little under).

I know they measure the size of a QB prospect's hands at the combine and i'm not sure how big of a deal this is but it can't just be a coincidence. That pretty much every professional quarterback has this one trait in common, especially some of the best of all time. Having big hands simply means they can grip the ball better, right? You often see Wilson scrambling with one hand on the ball and he never drops it while scrambling, even with one hand on the ball.

Is this the only purpose for the hand measurements, or is there something i'm missing? Big hands = easier to throw tight spiral..?

Wow, that is a huge hand. My hand measures only 8" from thumb tip to pinky tip.

I found that Brett Favre's hands are 10 3/8"

Here are some other quarterback hand sizes: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6238 ... your-dealt

Ponder's hand size is 10 1/4"

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Interesting...Drew Brees and RW both have hands >10"...Kevin Kolb is 6'4" with a 9.25". Vick has 8.5" hands.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
They have big noses?

In random news, I'm at the Olive Garden in Kirkland right now getting dinner before heading out to meet up with some friends, and a guy came in wearing a Russellmania t-shirt to pick up a take-out order; I complimented him on it. Russellmania - playing at theaters everywhere. :D

formido

Reaction score
Zowert":24ikpeyo said:

I think you're onto something. Maybe tall QBs are better not because they're taller but because taller people tend to have big hands. Chip Kelly seems to think so:

"lf the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands.
That is the biggest coaching point to finding
a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how
well can he control the football? The height of
the quarterback is not the important thing. No one
playing quarterback throws over the line. They
throw through lanes in the linemen. The important
thing is the size of their hand"

-The Glove-

Reaction score
formido":2jcbs797 said:
Zowert":2jcbs797 said:

I think you're onto something. Maybe tall QBs are better not because they're taller but because taller people tend to have big hands. Chip Kelly seems to think so:

"lf the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands.
That is the biggest coaching point to finding
a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how
well can he control the football? The height of
the quarterback is not the important thing. No one
playing quarterback throws over the line. They
throw through lanes in the linemen. The important
thing is the size of their hand"
That's the quote I was looking for. Thought it was a former RW coach at WI.

Latest posts