Luke's Mock 1.0

lukerguy

Reaction score
Hawks trade 2nd & oak 5th, 6th & 7th for early/mid 2nd.

1) Lane Johnson RT
Probably the least sexy pick you could imagine..I like Johnson..a lot.. and I think Cable will too. He's only played the position one year (mold factor), but possesses everything you would want. I've always thought Giacomini was a G playing T. I think Giacomini could be a top 10 RG in this league. Johnson dominated Moore in their game earlier this year. He's only progressed and has shut down potential.

2) DeAndre Hopkins WR- This is so over-mentioned, but he reminds me so much of Roddy White...except I actually think he will be better. He's got better hands, and similar route running. Had to trade up to the early 2nd to nab him though. Most likely will be the most productive WR in the class when you look back in 15 years.
3) Datone Jones- DE/DT Finally some picks on D...I'm officially on the Datone Jones bandwagon..problem is I think he'll be gone in the early 3rd or late 2nd to a 3-4 team needing a 5 tech. Has played all 4 position on a line of a 4-3 D scheme. I like him for depth, and I like him for Jason Jones' old spot on passing downs.
4) Khaseem Greene OLB- Don't think Greene will make it that long, but hopefully. Former Saftey converted LB- it shows, he may be the most natural coverage LB in the draft, and we need that- and someone who can cover a lot of ground in space.
5) Nickell Robey N CB- Trufant & co got burned last year in the slot. Problem Solved.
7) Denard Robinson WR/ST- Terrible Senior bowl- I could see him sliding.

chris98251

Reaction score
I could see something being done for a real good DT that we want, but RT is not our weakness, let alone giving up 2 picks to move up in the same round for a position we have depth at and is improving.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
chris98251":d65g29en said:
but RT is not our weakness

No, but RG certainly is...(SEE Sweezy getting blown up on 4th & 1, as well as the last play of the 2nd half in the Falcons game). I guarantee you it cost us 3, points but possibly as many as 10.

Giacomini may not be a weakness at RT, but I don't believe it's where he would truly thrive. It is what it is, he's an average RT in the NFL. However, I believe he can be an elite RG. Now, all of a sudden you have an Elite RT, and an Elite RG.

My logic is you take a 6.5/10 RT, and a 5/10 RG and by moving Giaco over, you now have a 8/10 RG, and 8.5/10 RT.

chris98251

Reaction score
Moffit , Carpenter and Sweezy all guys that can play gaurd, we also have that kid we called up and not sure if Frank is coming back but he did a great job rotating in as well. McQuiston is in that rotation as well since were not sure who the LG will be as a starter.

120713-johnsonr-65.jpg

Position:GHeight:6-5Weight:313College:California University (Pa.)Hometown:Hammond, La.Experience:R

This is the Kid I was thinking about.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
chris98251":ekp2ldur said:
Moffit , Carpenter and Sweezy all guys that can play gaurd,

Both Moffit and Sweezy are average to below average at the position. Carp has the potential to be elite if he can shake his injury concerns. Either way I do not feel great about the G position on our team. They may be serviceable as a part of the overall system, but I want excellent play to move our line to be the best in the league & I truly believe that one strong shut down RT converted LT will do that for us .

chris98251

Reaction score
Well thats why were here is to have opinions, I beleive the pieces are here, Lines that play together get better, we have the athletes, we just have not had the health at Gaurd, I am hoping that we are healthy next year there and that the impact on the line will be shown as a cohesive unit. Moffit gets out of the doghouse and Carp is 100 percent.

kearly

Reaction score
Luker, thank you for providing rationale behind picks. No disrespect to some of the other mocks, but a lot of them just feel like names picked at random.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":cq66zlen said:
Luker, thank you for providing rationale behind picks. No disrespect to some of the other mocks, but a lot of them just feel like names picked at random.
Thanks Kearly. I just added a bit more too.

What are your thoughts on an elite LT converted to RT and moving Giaco over? As well as the Datone Jones pick?

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Datone Jones. I think Giacomini probably isn't going anywhere. Seattle might draft T depth, maybe. I haven't looked at this OL class at all because I've just assumed the team likes the current OL group.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Lane Johnson is a pure technician. His grasp of blocking schemes, his hand use and positioning is superb for a player with his background. But two thing -- one, there's no way on earth he lasts until #25 because somebody is going to draft him to play left tackle in the top-20. Two, he just doesn't translate to the right side. He's a bit like Antony Castonzo. You wouldn't move him to the right either.

And they're not going to draft a tackle in round one. I'd put money on that and I barely ever gamble.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3j3tl9j3 said:
But two thing -- one, there's no way on earth he lasts until #25 because somebody is going to draft him to play left tackle in the top-20.
Fair enough. I doubt that as well especially when he runs a 4.8-4.9 40 as I suspect he will.

Two, he just doesn't translate to the right side. He's a bit like Antony Castonzo. You wouldn't move him to the right either.

I'm not sure this is accurate speaking for a guy who just learned the LT position a year ago, and has already thrived to the point of a mid 1st round pick selection. I wouldn't put it past him to be able to learn the RT position. He does lack some run blocking ability- I'll give you that but he's such an intelligent athlete that I think he could do it.

And they're not going to draft a tackle in round one. I'd put money on that and I barely ever gamble.

I would have put money that we wouldn't have drafted a Saftey last year as well, but JS said post draft they were going to take Barron if he was there at 12...so I think they look at things a bit differently then you and I.

pehawk

Reaction score
No offense, but last year I heard Seattle believes so strongly in Cable's ability that they'll never take a OL high in the draft (from now on). This was in regards to DeCastro. Cable may be achieving Gibbs status who once famously said "I can get any bum off the highway to play guard". Carp returning adds depth to both guard spots AND tackle. Frank Oma(sp)whatever also played well.

Unlike others, I see the OL as stacked.

Unless he's SO good the Sehawks have no choice...which is how they got Hutch (gee, the one pick Holmgren didn't draft for need).

Appreciate this though, homey.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":13niilnn said:
I would have put money that we wouldn't have drafted a Saftey last year as well, but JS said post draft they were going to take Barron if he was there at 12...so I think they look at things a bit differently then you and I.
Small correction. JS never said he was for sure going to take Barron if he was there.

He said they had two other defensive players graded above Irvin, Barron and I believe Kuechly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they would have pick them if they were available.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":19f91202 said:
lukerguy":19f91202 said:
Small correction. JS never said he was for sure going to take Barron if he was there.

He said they had two other defensive players graded above Irvin, Barron and I believe Kuechly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they would have pick them if they were available.

You're right. I thought it was implied but not 100% committed in his interview to taking him.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
pehawk":wpuhe0ai said:
No offense, but last year I heard Seattle believes so strongly in Cable's ability that they'll never take a OL high in the draft (from now on). This was in regards to DeCastro. Cable may be achieving Gibbs status who once famously said "I can get any bum off the highway to play guard". Carp returning adds depth to both guard spots AND tackle. Frank Oma(sp)whatever also played well.

Unlike others, I see the OL as stacked.

Unless he's SO good the Sehawks have no choice...which is how they got Hutch (gee, the one pick Holmgren didn't draft for need).

Appreciate this though, homey.

None taken- at all. Good to know, and probably smart. I would love to see someone better than Giacomini at RT and Giacomini at RG, but that doesn't mean they have to necessarily draft that spot. I also wonder if it has something to do with the fact that both of Oline draft picks have been average at best based on draft position when Cable gives his advice.