Rumor: Hawks 'highly interested' in acquiring Darrelle Revis

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Mtjhoyas wrote:2 part post here:

1) I am not going to say this is impossible, but it is very, very unrealistic. Salary and compensation (ie the 2 greatest factors) do not play in our favor. Yes, we have nice cap room, but we are also looking at some huge deals in the near future for our young corps (ET, RW, Sherm, etc). Likewise, you know that one (1) team will offer up something ridiculous, and that team most definitely will not be the Seahawks (see: history of PC/JS). We value our picks and losing a bunch of them is not the MO of this staff, and certainly not for a position of strength on this team (whether that is sheer talent or scheme manipulation).

2) Even if Revis is a luxury (to an extent) you never, ever turn your back on making your team better. Think of it this way...would you trade James Carpenter (and I really like Carpenter) for Darrelle Revis right now? The resounding answer should be "well no sh!t Sherlock." In essence (granted hindsight), this is a possible scenario trading Revis for a 1st rounder. Now, you could obviously "miss" the chance of drafting a great player, at the same time. The point is, you know what you are getting with Revis, even if he is coming off of an injury. ACL, like Tommy John (which I've had) is so advanced nowadays, that it takes an (anti) miracle to not come back from it. Is it a luxury? Sure it is. But, you are also talking about a player who drastically changes what you can do on defense.

All I am trying to illustrate, is that even though this is a highly improbable scenario, it does in fact make sense from a strictly "make your team better" point of view. I think Browner is a terrific CB, but he's not Revis. And like I said, further enhancing a strength, is never a bad thing, as long as it doesn't completely jeopardize and weaken a weakness.

this...
    joeshaney
    NET Starter

• joeshaney wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    SuperHawks wrote:Unless the Jets are willing to swap him for Flynn and a mid rounder I don't see it. We've got our own players who are gonna get paid soon enough so why bother giving up anything significant for a one year rental.

:lol:

The Jets are trying to clear cap room, not add a big contract for a big contract.

If this happens we're giving up picks.. maybe Lane since he's cheap

You are correct, however, if they bring in Matt Flynn's 5.25 million dollar cap hit they would also be deducting Revis's $6, Sanchez's $14, and Tebow's $6 million.

That's a net decrease of almost $21 milliIon. I understand this number may be subject to cap penalty, but only if they don't find a trade partner for Tebow as I believe Sanchez can be cut at any time without penalty after he restructured last year (might be wrong on this).

They can't get rid of sanchez contract. The guarenteed money is cost prohibitive they would have to take a cap hit of 17.1 million (3 million more that keeping him) Sanchez will be on the Jets roster next year
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• Well this is what some Jets fans want for Revis: this is totally realistic :17:

Packers- Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and 1st Round picks in 2013/2014

Broncos- Von Miller, Eric Decker, 2 1st round picks 2013/2014

Seahawks- Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, 2 1st Round Picks 2013/2014

49ers- Aldon Smith and a 1st Round Pick

Patriots- every pick for the rest of the existence

Bills- hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha maybe Dareus and 3 1st Round Picks

all showing interest, those are the deals I would accept from them
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• If we got him for cheap, I'd be all for it.

But I don't see the point in investing a ton into having 2 shutdown corners.

Are we really that concerned about opposing teams' #2 receivers? I think Browner does just fine for the most part when it comes to stopping that kind of talent. I certainly won't scoff at a Sherman-Revis tandem but I do think that it's a huge luxury that quickly becomes not worth the pricetag.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Here's how these things work with nebulous "anonymous source" type rumors.

Step #1: Look at which teams have enough cap room to afford player
    Step #2: Is there prior history or ties between two teams
    Step #3: Float rumor in 200 different directions and see if anything sticks to the wall
    Step #4: Cut a hole in the box.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Unless Revis puts on 130 pounds and becomes a penetrating 3-tech, he's not what we need (or can afford) on the D.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• "Seahawks- Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, 2 1st Round Picks 2013/2014"

LMAO :chug: :thcocktail:
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I am a billion percent CERTAIN that the Hawks are HIGHLY interested in Revis. PC and JS are highly interested in everyone, even personal trainers like Chukwurah...

It's nice to have a restless and diligent FO, but I doubt we'd ever come close to pulling the trigger on a deal.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to hard work"
    CHawks4L
    NET Rookie

• Revis is one of the premiere defensive players in the league. Of course the Seahawks are interested. Only stupid teams wouldn't be interested.

Doesn't mean it will happen... but if it's the right deal for this team they'll go for it. And so they should too. You can never have enough good corners, let alone elite, lockdown corners like Revis who take away an entire side of the field consistently. You cannot throw at this guy.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Question? Has any team ever had the 2 best lockdown corners in the NFL. Not saying it is going to happen, because frankly, I see the stategy behind it, but don't believe it will be a reality.

I have a hard time imaging 2/3rd of a football field a complete "no fly zone"
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• pinksheets wrote:If we got him for cheap, I'd be all for it.

But I don't see the point in investing a ton into having 2 shutdown corners.

Are we really that concerned about opposing teams' #2 receivers? I think Browner does just fine for the most part when it comes to stopping that kind of talent. I certainly won't scoff at a Sherman-Revis tandem but I do think that it's a huge luxury that quickly becomes not worth the pricetag.

i second this post.. Browner VS. Julio Jones = shut down.. look what Jones did to SF...

do we really need a spendy CB who may or may not be 100% again?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• For those worried acquiring Revis would jeopardize locking up our younger talent - don't be.. if we acquired him he'd be a 2 year rental.. then he'd hit the open market after 2014 and his salary would come off the books.

It's not until 2014 that we will have to start locking guys up. Basically, we can do this trade if we want.. and I'm sorry, if the asking price is reasonable, you pull the damn trigger and don't think twice. Having the two best corners in football would be a MAJOR luxury. This isn't a running league anymore..
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Invest the money in pass rushers in free agency, especially a pocket collapser.

That frees the draft up for offensive skill players and depth!
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• With Sherman and Browner both being bigger guys, the Seahawks could use a corner to defend the speedy types.

Revis is damn good. I hope it happens.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• FlyingGreg wrote:Invest the money in pass rushers in free agency, especially a pocket collapser.

What pass rushers are really out there and available though?

Darrelle Revis is so good.. he and Sherman would make our pass rush look a LOT better.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Basis4day wrote:"We usually try not to move Pro Bowl players to different positions," - John Schneider

Usually being the operative word.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:Invest the money in pass rushers in free agency, especially a pocket collapser.

Darrelle Revis is so good.. he and Sherman would make our pass rush look a LOT better.

Randy Starks and Henry Melton, for starters.

I'd love to have Revis too, but it's a luxury we can't afford. We don't want to take on that kind of money when we have a huge list of our young core stars coming due for huge raises in the next 2-3 years, not to mention the windfall Wilson will get in 2015.

Our DB's already play exceptional. There's not much more they can do to help the pass rush, but that's a "chicken or the egg" argument anyways.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• sainthawk29 wrote:Question? Has any team ever had the 2 best lockdown corners in the NFL. Not saying it is going to happen, because frankly, I see the stategy behind it, but don't believe it will be a reality.

I have a hard time imaging 2/3rd of a football field a complete "no fly zone"

The best I can think of is Lester Hayes and Micheal Haynes of the Raiders.
    seacat1
    NET Rookie

• Hasselbeck wrote:. This isn't a running league anymore..

The two Superbowl teams beg to differ.............and the asking price would be HUGE for Revis. At least a 1st rounder, if not 1st and 2nd.

No thanks, not an area of need. If any team is looking to trade their all pro DT or DE, get back to me.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:. This isn't a running league anymore..

The two Superbowl teams beg to differ.............and the asking price would be HUGE for Revis. At least a 1st rounder, if not 1st and 2nd.

No thanks, not an area of need. If any team is looking to trade their all pro DT or DE, get back to me.

I don't consider Baltimore a running team. I consider them a running team that has a play where Flacco throws it as far as he can and Bouldin trys to catch it.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Okay some thoughts on this:

#1: Idzik is in his first days at GM and just a few days ago he was a compatriot of John Schneider. It's conceivably possible that Seattle has no real interest, but is getting involved to help drive up the price as a favor to a friend. Having a friendly GM on the other side of the NFL owing you a favor is never a bad thing.

#2: It's not delusional to think Seattle would have interest. Schneider's MO is due diligence.

#3: If the NFL was without a true salary cap (like MLB), Revis would not be getting traded. But the Jets are well over the cap already and would be highly unlikely to keep Revis next season. This deal is all about saving money and squeezing value out of Revis before he walks next season. From Idzik's perspective, trading Revis makes a ton of sense.

#4: So what does Idzik want? Good yet cheap players because cheap players help cure salary cap ailments. Idzik knows our roster very well- and Seattle has no shortage of quality players on cheap contracts. Draft picks are a great way to get good, cheap players too. So I see fertile ground there.

#5: Why would Seattle do it? Because Browner is a free agent after next season and might command a large price next offseason. Remember when the Seahawks traded for Zach Miller and people asked "why? we already have John Carlson?" As it turned out, Seattle decided they'd rather pay a little more for a far better player. If Seattle did trade for Revis, it would likely spell the end of Browner here, and since Browner is on a low cost 1 year deal it's possible he could be a part of the trade.

It really depends on the deal, but if Seattle created a reasonable win-win package for Revis (maybe a 2nd rounder and a couple of good, cheap players such as Jeremy Lane and/or Doug Baldwin), I think it would be worth it. Revis on his next big contract will only cost a few million a year more than Browner would, and Browner might not even have a ton of years left playing corner before he has to move to safety. Revis only makes $6 million next season (though Seattle would probably ask for an extension before signing off on the trade) and for the right price wouldn't necessarily inhibit Seattle's ability to pursue pass rushers in free agency or the draft. I don't think it will happen, but I could see it.
    Last edited by kearly on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:Invest the money in pass rushers in free agency, especially a pocket collapser.

Randy Starks and Henry Melton, for starters.

I'd love to have Revis too, but it's a luxury we can't afford. We don't want to take on that kind of money when we have a huge list of our young core stars coming due for huge raises in the next 2-3 years, not to mention the windfall Wilson will get in 2015.

Our DB's already play exceptional. There's not much more they can do to help the pass rush, but that's a "chicken or the egg" argument anyways.

Melton is likely getting tagged.. I wouldn't mind Starks either, but Revis > Starks on everyday ending in Y.

It's a pretty deep draft at DT. If you got Revis with a 2nd + other lower picks and maybe Lane.. why not? I believe this FO can find a gem for the DL in the draft at some point. They however will not find Darrelle Revis.

As far as affordability .. his contract is done in 2014. We could afford him and still be fine extending Wilson, Sherman, etc.

I think this opportunity is a lot more real than you might believe.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Basis4day wrote:
    sainthawk29 wrote:I could see it, if JS and PC has this in mind...

Revis and Sherman on the outside.... seriously that is terrifying to think about.
    Granted Revis to my knowledge has never played extensively press coverage, but if they want him I trust they believe they can do it.

Browner moves to SS.

Kam moves to Will.

I don't know if that would work, but if they are really interested I assume that would be the plan. Browner IMO would be a liablity in the slot, as it would take away his greatest strenght.

"We usually try not to move Pro Bowl players to different positions," - John Schneider

Haa ha. Thank you.
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• Another reason why this will never happen: Idzik just came from Seattle. How's it going to look for him if he deals the Jets' best player to his old boss for anything less than a perceived home run deal (i.e. something more than 1st & 2nd round picks). The NY media would destroy him.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:Another reason why this will never happen: Idzik just came from Seattle. How's it going to look for him if he deals the Jets' best player to his old boss for anything less than a perceived home run deal (i.e. something more than 1st & 2nd round picks). The NY media would destroy him.

Cause Revis is pretty much guaranteed to walk next year for nothing, while they stay in severe cap trouble. Why not get young talent he already knows about plus a decently high draft pick for a guy who doesn't want to be there? The Patriots did that throughout the past decade with success.

Armchair GM opinion is I would give them Flynn, a 2nd rounder, and a guy like Lane/Browner/Baldwin for Revis and a 4th. Idzik doesn't want Tebow there and Sanchez has proven he can't be effective without a dominate running game. Flynn's contract is not demanding at all and he would realistically beat out Sanchez in preseason. Revis allows us to not need Earl always watching over Browner's side and having him and Sherm on the outsides will in itself improve our pass rush. Browner will want a bigger contract when his is finished, so why not pay a few extra million for another lock down corner? And who knows, maybe Revis buys into our defense and doesn't demand the enormous contract to stick around.

Now, none of this matters if Revis demands an enormous contract regardless of the trade, because JS won't do it. And if the Jets try to fleece us for a 1st and 2nd plus a player it isn't going to happen.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote: Melton is likely getting tagged.. I wouldn't mind Starks either, but Revis > Starks on everyday ending in Y.

It's a pretty deep draft at DT. If you got Revis with a 2nd + other lower picks and maybe Lane.. why not? I believe this FO can find a gem for the DL in the draft at some point. They however will not find Darrelle Revis.

As far as affordability .. his contract is done in 2014. We could afford him and still be fine extending Wilson, Sherman, etc.

I think this opportunity is a lot more real than you might believe.

"Revis > Starks" ... not so fast. We need a player like Starks, we don't "need" Revis. Our secondary is the strength of the defense. I'm not sure we hang our hopes on drafting the immediate impact D line players we need. I see us going into free agency for that.

Revis contract actually voids after 2013. It will get murky, because the only way a team is going to trade for him is to agree to a new deal ahead of time - they won't spend the capital it will take to trade for him when he could be a free agent after the 2013 season. He is probbaly looking for a deal in the $100 million range. And, it might be wishful thinking that they would give him up for a 2nd and some players - they are believed to be seeking a 1st and a 2nd, but of course they may not have much room for a demand like that with their cap situation. Then there is the issue of his health....

And of course, we'd have to pay Sherman as much as Revis in a few years as well. Talk about cap hell.

I think this is fantasy more than a real opportunity, but it would be awesome to have him.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Darelle Revis is very very good. And because of that the Jets are going to want a lot in return for him (like a 1st round pick plus something else of value (another pick or player)). The current front office values their draft picks very highly, and rightfully so based on how successful their picks have been during the first three years of the current regime. It is also because they have been so successful that they will have some difficult decisions to make regarding upcoming cap room. They will have to re-sign (if they're going to) Chancellor, Tate, Baldwin, Browner, Sherman, Thomas and Wright in the next two offseasons. This list didn't include lesser pieces McQuistan, Giacomini and Robinson. Because of the size of the contract that Revis is going to demand, if they traded for him they essentially lose three or four players: the draft pick(s) and/or players involved in the trade, plus one or more guys off of the list I just gave. This front office is too smart to make a move like this.

If the Seahawks trade for Darelle Revis it would be the most shocking decision the Seahawks have made since selecting Dan McGwire in the first round of the 1991 draft.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Hasselbeck wrote:Image

Haha, Revis is 24.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• SouthSoundHawk wrote:Haha, Revis is 24.

Not on this team he wouldn't be, there's only one 24 on the Hawks, Beastmode :th2thumbs:

On the topic of this, if we can get him for a reasonable price for two years till he walks then sure, but don't break the bank for him, its not needed.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• As much as the thought of Sherman/Revis/Thomas covering the field together really excites me as a fan, I don't think we should be sinking more resources into an area of strength.

The Seahawks and the 49ers both played the Falcons this year, a week apart. A team with arguably the most dangerous receiving weapons on offense in the entire NFL.

Seahawks results:

- Roddy White 5 Rec 76 Yards 1 TD
    - Julio Jones 6 Rec 59 Yards 0 TD
    - Tony Gonzalez 6 Rec 51 Yards 1 TD

49ers results:

- Roddy White 7 Rec 100 Yards 0 TD
    - Julio Jones 11 Rec 182 Yards 2 TDs
    - Tony Gonzalez 8 Rec 78 Yards 1 TD

Bear in mind, that even with a better front 7 and pass rush the 49ers secondary still did not perform as well as our secondary. Their team has like a bajillion 1st round draft picks! Our secondary is still being paid pennies relative to their performance, and they're all young!

Brandon Browner isn't a scrub, and on a lot of teams he would be their #1 corner. Sure he's not shutdown, but there's only like 2, or 3 at the most, in the league right now, and that's being generous.

I think it would be more productive to use those draft picks and money that would have gone to acquiring Revis to address other areas of actual weakness on our team and built our players up. I'd rather we use our resources to reward our players for working hard and becoming great players when no one else gave them an opportunity.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• RE: Contract

If you front load a new deal for Revis with most of the $$$$ in 2013 and 2014... you have the two best cornerbacks in the NFL for the price of 1.5.

After 2014, dip Revis' number and re-sign Sherman. You're still not paying both players a premium price at the same time.

One way of getting around the fact you'd have to pay Revis. And also makes the idea of having the two best corners in the league more enticing...
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• That's Right!
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Trade Flynn and a 3rd?
    Treefiddy
    NET Rookie

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:RE: Contract

If you front load a new deal for Revis with most of the $$$$ in 2013 and 2014... you have the two best cornerbacks in the NFL for the price of 1.5.

After 2014, dip Revis' number and re-sign Sherman. You're still not paying both players a premium price at the same time.

One way of getting around the fact you'd have to pay Revis. And also makes the idea of having the two best corners in the league more enticing...

Because Revis has never held out before? Even though he had multiple years left on his deal? Revis has a history getting his money while he can, then getting some more.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

That's a good point and would make a deal much more palatable if he'd be more than a rental for next season only. The question is how much would you give up to make this trade happen?
    SuperHawks
    NET Starter

• The only thing we're "highly interested" in doing in regards to Revis is pricing him out of the NFC West.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I would love to have a CB group of BB, Sherm and Revis. Could we call it the Bermuda triangle?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Please, please, front office, pull the trigger on this one! We could use a great third cornerback to replace Trufant/Thurmond!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• RolandDeschain wrote:The only thing we're "highly interested" in doing in regards to Revis is pricing him out of the NFC West.

Exactly.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

That doesn't change the fact we would have two CBs earning ridiculous money, anyway you want to shift it around. Nor does it change the fact we are going to give ridiculous money to Wilson in 2015. You can't have three massive contracts on the books like that at once. And this doesn't take into consideration Earl Thomas, Russell Okung, etc.

There's a reason why teams don't have arguably the two best shutdown CB's in the league on the same roster.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• ok lets get one thing settled first. PC is NOT going to move Brand Browner to SS and Cam to LB. just not going to happen. with that being said....

Make this deal. Give them Matt Flynn and a 3rd pick. Maybe even a 2nd round picks. Hell give them Browner. I think Matt Flynn and BB would be more then enough to make the deal Browner doesn't make that much money and has been to the probowl before. Matt flynn's contract isn't that bad and I bet you if they offered him the starting gig he might even be willing to take less money. We could use Revis even if its just to not let him go to the 49ers which I could see him ending up. We need to get him and keep him away from the other teams

*edit* I could see Revis taking less money after he buys in to play with us and I can see the other players taking less money to stay here as well. Just like the Packers and Patriots do all the time. Guys want to play for a good organization. They will take less money if they are in a good situation which we have. Good coaching, good FO, THE BEST facilities. Guys want to come here. Jets are a mess, why do you tihnk Revis has been banging them year after year for a new contract, b/c he wants to get the most out of a bad organization. I mean who really asks for a new contrat year after year after year AFTER getting a new one year after year after year. Someone who isn't happy with their current situation. And if wasn't the money b/c he was always brining in the money. The dude wants out. He probably doesn't like Rex Ryan. Everyone loves Pete. Bring this guy in. He will do wonders for us and help bring home a SB
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Because Revis has never held out before? Even though he had multiple years left on his deal? Revis has a history getting his money while he can, then getting some more.

Not really. As far as I'm aware he's not missed any games via hold out. He earned $6m in base salary this year, or as it's otherwise known... $5m less Nnamdi. He still played despite all the threats.

And when he gets paid what he's worth to be a premier NFL defensive player, I suspect he'll get on with it. He'll want rings to go with the $$$$.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• We need a stud defensive lineman, not a CB(our area of strength). This is a ridiculous story.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• kthebestwayw wrote:ok lets get one thing settled first. PC is NOT going to move Brand Browner to SS and Cam to LB. just not going to happen. with that being said....

Make this deal. Give them Matt Flynn and a 3rd pick. Maybe even a 2nd round picks. Hell give them Browner. I think Matt Flynn and BB would be more then enough to make the deal Browner doesn't make that much money and has been to the probowl before. Matt flynn's contract isn't that bad and I bet you if they offered him the starting gig he might even be willing to take less money. We could use Revis even if its just to not let him go to the 49ers which I could see him ending up. We need to get him and keep him away from the other teams

*edit* I could see Revis taking less money after he buys in to play with us and I can see the other players taking less money to stay here as well. Just like the Packers and Patriots do all the time. Guys want to play for a good organization. They will take less money if they are in a good situation which we have. Good coaching, good FO, THE BEST facilities. Guys want to come here. Jets are a mess, why do you tihnk Revis has been banging them year after year for a new contract, b/c he wants to get the most out of a bad organization. I mean who really asks for a new contrat year after year after year AFTER getting a new one year after year after year. Someone who isn't happy with their current situation. And if wasn't the money b/c he was always brining in the money. The dude wants out. He probably doesn't like Rex Ryan. Everyone loves Pete. Bring this guy in. He will do wonders for us and help bring home a SB

On what authority do you speak of?
    just how do you know, did he say someting?

Doubt if the 49ers would be interested, they are about to have a cap explosion.
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie

• FlyingGreg wrote:That doesn't change the fact we would have two CBs earning ridiculous money, anyway you want to shift it around.

If you front load the Revis deal you do not have two corners earning ridiculous money. If you paid Revis $14m - making him by far the highest paid corner in the league - for both 2013 and 2014, the average you'd be paying for your two corners would be $7.25m each. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay that average for a Revis and Sherman combo?

Let's say Sherman signs a $10m per year deal in 2015 -- again, a massive contract. If you front load the revis deal so he only earns $7m in 2015/16 as a 30/31 year old (he earned $6m in base in 2012) then you're still only paying an average of $8.5m for the two best corners in the league.

Next year Zach Miller will take up $11m. I don't an average of $8m per year each for Sherman/Revis until 2016 is exactly pushing the boat out. You could argue Sherman's rookie deal makes it a bargain.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• I will be monitoring this situation very closely
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Just Say No To Revis! We need a pass rush. If you think our secondary is good now, imagine if we had a top 10 pass rush. Give me Melton, Starks or Bryant at DT and Osi, Avril or William Hayes at DE this off season. Oh and draft the best DLinemen available in the draft. Revis and Sherman might be able to cover forever but what about our other corners and linebackers.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Per Rotoworld:

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.

Yikes.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• This would be a big mistake. PC/JS have demonstrated their ability to find quality db's at will. We don't need to devote top dollars to that position when we have much more pressing needs.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information