Rumor: Hawks 'highly interested' in acquiring Darrelle Revis

Winterfell

Reaction score
As much as the thought of Sherman/Revis/Thomas covering the field together really excites me as a fan, I don't think we should be sinking more resources into an area of strength.

The Seahawks and the 49ers both played the Falcons this year, a week apart. A team with arguably the most dangerous receiving weapons on offense in the entire NFL.

Seahawks results:

- Roddy White 5 Rec 76 Yards 1 TD
- Julio Jones 6 Rec 59 Yards 0 TD
- Tony Gonzalez 6 Rec 51 Yards 1 TD

49ers results:

- Roddy White 7 Rec 100 Yards 0 TD
- Julio Jones 11 Rec 182 Yards 2 TDs
- Tony Gonzalez 8 Rec 78 Yards 1 TD

Bear in mind, that even with a better front 7 and pass rush the 49ers secondary still did not perform as well as our secondary. Their team has like a bajillion 1st round draft picks! Our secondary is still being paid pennies relative to their performance, and they're all young!

Brandon Browner isn't a scrub, and on a lot of teams he would be their #1 corner. Sure he's not shutdown, but there's only like 2, or 3 at the most, in the league right now, and that's being generous.

I think it would be more productive to use those draft picks and money that would have gone to acquiring Revis to address other areas of actual weakness on our team and built our players up. I'd rather we use our resources to reward our players for working hard and becoming great players when no one else gave them an opportunity.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
RE: Contract

If you front load a new deal for Revis with most of the $$$$ in 2013 and 2014... you have the two best cornerbacks in the NFL for the price of 1.5.

After 2014, dip Revis' number and re-sign Sherman. You're still not paying both players a premium price at the same time.

One way of getting around the fact you'd have to pay Revis. And also makes the idea of having the two best corners in the league more enticing...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":uk0vao1z said:

If you front load a new deal for Revis with most of the $$$$ in 2013 and 2014... you have the two best cornerbacks in the NFL for the price of 1.5.

After 2014, dip Revis' number and re-sign Sherman. You're still not paying both players a premium price at the same time.

One way of getting around the fact you'd have to pay Revis. And also makes the idea of having the two best corners in the league more enticing...
Because Revis has never held out before? Even though he had multiple years left on his deal? Revis has a history getting his money while he can, then getting some more.

SuperHawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":5mz5t226 said:

That's a good point and would make a deal much more palatable if he'd be more than a rental for next season only. The question is how much would you give up to make this trade happen?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would love to have a CB group of BB, Sherm and Revis. Could we call it the Bermuda triangle?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":oagvykvn said:
The only thing we're "highly interested" in doing in regards to Revis is pricing him out of the NFC West.

Exactly.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2d6oo0w1 said:

That doesn't change the fact we would have two CBs earning ridiculous money, anyway you want to shift it around. Nor does it change the fact we are going to give ridiculous money to Wilson in 2015. You can't have three massive contracts on the books like that at once. And this doesn't take into consideration Earl Thomas, Russell Okung, etc.

There's a reason why teams don't have arguably the two best shutdown CB's in the league on the same roster.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
ok lets get one thing settled first. PC is NOT going to move Brand Browner to SS and Cam to LB. just not going to happen. with that being said....

Make this deal. Give them Matt Flynn and a 3rd pick. Maybe even a 2nd round picks. Hell give them Browner. I think Matt Flynn and BB would be more then enough to make the deal Browner doesn't make that much money and has been to the probowl before. Matt flynn's contract isn't that bad and I bet you if they offered him the starting gig he might even be willing to take less money. We could use Revis even if its just to not let him go to the 49ers which I could see him ending up. We need to get him and keep him away from the other teams

*edit* I could see Revis taking less money after he buys in to play with us and I can see the other players taking less money to stay here as well. Just like the Packers and Patriots do all the time. Guys want to play for a good organization. They will take less money if they are in a good situation which we have. Good coaching, good FO, THE BEST facilities. Guys want to come here. Jets are a mess, why do you tihnk Revis has been banging them year after year for a new contract, b/c he wants to get the most out of a bad organization. I mean who really asks for a new contrat year after year after year AFTER getting a new one year after year after year. Someone who isn't happy with their current situation. And if wasn't the money b/c he was always brining in the money. The dude wants out. He probably doesn't like Rex Ryan. Everyone loves Pete. Bring this guy in. He will do wonders for us and help bring home a SB

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23moge95 said:
Because Revis has never held out before? Even though he had multiple years left on his deal? Revis has a history getting his money while he can, then getting some more.

Not really. As far as I'm aware he's not missed any games via hold out. He earned $6m in base salary this year, or as it's otherwise known... $5m less Nnamdi. He still played despite all the threats.

And when he gets paid what he's worth to be a premier NFL defensive player, I suspect he'll get on with it. He'll want rings to go with the $$$$.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
We need a stud defensive lineman, not a CB(our area of strength). This is a ridiculous story.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1yahls6z said:
ok lets get one thing settled first. PC is NOT going to move Brand Browner to SS and Cam to LB. just not going to happen. with that being said....

Make this deal. Give them Matt Flynn and a 3rd pick. Maybe even a 2nd round picks. Hell give them Browner. I think Matt Flynn and BB would be more then enough to make the deal Browner doesn't make that much money and has been to the probowl before. Matt flynn's contract isn't that bad and I bet you if they offered him the starting gig he might even be willing to take less money. We could use Revis even if its just to not let him go to the 49ers which I could see him ending up. We need to get him and keep him away from the other teams

*edit* I could see Revis taking less money after he buys in to play with us and I can see the other players taking less money to stay here as well. Just like the Packers and Patriots do all the time. Guys want to play for a good organization. They will take less money if they are in a good situation which we have. Good coaching, good FO, THE BEST facilities. Guys want to come here. Jets are a mess, why do you tihnk Revis has been banging them year after year for a new contract, b/c he wants to get the most out of a bad organization. I mean who really asks for a new contrat year after year after year AFTER getting a new one year after year after year. Someone who isn't happy with their current situation. And if wasn't the money b/c he was always brining in the money. The dude wants out. He probably doesn't like Rex Ryan. Everyone loves Pete. Bring this guy in. He will do wonders for us and help bring home a SB

On what authority do you speak of?
just how do you know, did he say someting?

Doubt if the 49ers would be interested, they are about to have a cap explosion.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ry9cdi1 said:
That doesn't change the fact we would have two CBs earning ridiculous money, anyway you want to shift it around.

If you front load the Revis deal you do not have two corners earning ridiculous money. If you paid Revis $14m - making him by far the highest paid corner in the league - for both 2013 and 2014, the average you'd be paying for your two corners would be $7.25m each. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay that average for a Revis and Sherman combo?

Let's say Sherman signs a $10m per year deal in 2015 -- again, a massive contract. If you front load the revis deal so he only earns $7m in 2015/16 as a 30/31 year old (he earned $6m in base in 2012) then you're still only paying an average of $8.5m for the two best corners in the league.

Next year Zach Miller will take up $11m. I don't an average of $8m per year each for Sherman/Revis until 2016 is exactly pushing the boat out. You could argue Sherman's rookie deal makes it a bargain.

getnasty

Reaction score
Just Say No To Revis! We need a pass rush. If you think our secondary is good now, imagine if we had a top 10 pass rush. Give me Melton, Starks or Bryant at DT and Osi, Avril or William Hayes at DE this off season. Oh and draft the best DLinemen available in the draft. Revis and Sherman might be able to cover forever but what about our other corners and linebackers.

kearly

Reaction score
Per Rotoworld:

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.

Yikes.

edogg23

Reaction score
This would be a big mistake. PC/JS have demonstrated their ability to find quality db's at will. We don't need to devote top dollars to that position when we have much more pressing needs.

Latest posts