Rumor: Hawks 'highly interested' in acquiring Darrelle Revis

hawker84

Reaction score
pinksheets":10n7bskl said:
If we got him for cheap, I'd be all for it.

But I don't see the point in investing a ton into having 2 shutdown corners.

Are we really that concerned about opposing teams' #2 receivers? I think Browner does just fine for the most part when it comes to stopping that kind of talent. I certainly won't scoff at a Sherman-Revis tandem but I do think that it's a huge luxury that quickly becomes not worth the pricetag.

i second this post.. Browner VS. Julio Jones = shut down.. look what Jones did to SF...

do we really need a spendy CB who may or may not be 100% again?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
For those worried acquiring Revis would jeopardize locking up our younger talent - don't be.. if we acquired him he'd be a 2 year rental.. then he'd hit the open market after 2014 and his salary would come off the books.

It's not until 2014 that we will have to start locking guys up. Basically, we can do this trade if we want.. and I'm sorry, if the asking price is reasonable, you pull the damn trigger and don't think twice. Having the two best corners in football would be a MAJOR luxury. This isn't a running league anymore..

cesame

Reaction score
With Sherman and Browner both being bigger guys, the Seahawks could use a corner to defend the speedy types.

Revis is damn good. I hope it happens.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1grxs36q said:
Invest the money in pass rushers in free agency, especially a pocket collapser.

That frees the draft up for offensive skill players and depth!

What pass rushers are really out there and available though?

Darrelle Revis is so good.. he and Sherman would make our pass rush look a LOT better.

kearly

Reaction score
Basis4day":19py0in3 said:
"We usually try not to move Pro Bowl players to different positions," - John Schneider

Usually being the operative word.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1wm1arc9 said:
FlyingGreg":1wm1arc9 said:

Darrelle Revis is so good.. he and Sherman would make our pass rush look a LOT better.

Randy Starks and Henry Melton, for starters.

I'd love to have Revis too, but it's a luxury we can't afford. We don't want to take on that kind of money when we have a huge list of our young core stars coming due for huge raises in the next 2-3 years, not to mention the windfall Wilson will get in 2015.

Our DB's already play exceptional. There's not much more they can do to help the pass rush, but that's a "chicken or the egg" argument anyways.

seacat1

Reaction score
sainthawk29":3swjp6yf said:
Question? Has any team ever had the 2 best lockdown corners in the NFL. Not saying it is going to happen, because frankly, I see the stategy behind it, but don't believe it will be a reality.

I have a hard time imaging 2/3rd of a football field a complete "no fly zone"

The best I can think of is Lester Hayes and Micheal Haynes of the Raiders.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":14sh2mgi said:
. This isn't a running league anymore..

The two Superbowl teams beg to differ.............and the asking price would be HUGE for Revis. At least a 1st rounder, if not 1st and 2nd.

No thanks, not an area of need. If any team is looking to trade their all pro DT or DE, get back to me.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h4dli0t said:
Hasselbeck":1h4dli0t said:
. This isn't a running league anymore..

The two Superbowl teams beg to differ.............and the asking price would be HUGE for Revis. At least a 1st rounder, if not 1st and 2nd.

No thanks, not an area of need. If any team is looking to trade their all pro DT or DE, get back to me.

I don't consider Baltimore a running team. I consider them a running team that has a play where Flacco throws it as far as he can and Bouldin trys to catch it.

kearly

Reaction score
Okay some thoughts on this:

#1: Idzik is in his first days at GM and just a few days ago he was a compatriot of John Schneider. It's conceivably possible that Seattle has no real interest, but is getting involved to help drive up the price as a favor to a friend. Having a friendly GM on the other side of the NFL owing you a favor is never a bad thing.

#2: It's not delusional to think Seattle would have interest. Schneider's MO is due diligence.

#3: If the NFL was without a true salary cap (like MLB), Revis would not be getting traded. But the Jets are well over the cap already and would be highly unlikely to keep Revis next season. This deal is all about saving money and squeezing value out of Revis before he walks next season. From Idzik's perspective, trading Revis makes a ton of sense.

#4: So what does Idzik want? Good yet cheap players because cheap players help cure salary cap ailments. Idzik knows our roster very well- and Seattle has no shortage of quality players on cheap contracts. Draft picks are a great way to get good, cheap players too. So I see fertile ground there.

#5: Why would Seattle do it? Because Browner is a free agent after next season and might command a large price next offseason. Remember when the Seahawks traded for Zach Miller and people asked "why? we already have John Carlson?" As it turned out, Seattle decided they'd rather pay a little more for a far better player. If Seattle did trade for Revis, it would likely spell the end of Browner here, and since Browner is on a low cost 1 year deal it's possible he could be a part of the trade.

It really depends on the deal, but if Seattle created a reasonable win-win package for Revis (maybe a 2nd rounder and a couple of good, cheap players such as Jeremy Lane and/or Doug Baldwin), I think it would be worth it. Revis on his next big contract will only cost a few million a year more than Browner would, and Browner might not even have a ton of years left playing corner before he has to move to safety. Revis only makes $6 million next season (though Seattle would probably ask for an extension before signing off on the trade) and for the right price wouldn't necessarily inhibit Seattle's ability to pursue pass rushers in free agency or the draft. I don't think it will happen, but I could see it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2jrxzd7t said:
Hasselbeck":2jrxzd7t said:
FlyingGreg":2jrxzd7t said:

Randy Starks and Henry Melton, for starters.

I'd love to have Revis too, but it's a luxury we can't afford. We don't want to take on that kind of money when we have a huge list of our young core stars coming due for huge raises in the next 2-3 years, not to mention the windfall Wilson will get in 2015.

Our DB's already play exceptional. There's not much more they can do to help the pass rush, but that's a "chicken or the egg" argument anyways.

Melton is likely getting tagged.. I wouldn't mind Starks either, but Revis > Starks on everyday ending in Y.

It's a pretty deep draft at DT. If you got Revis with a 2nd + other lower picks and maybe Lane.. why not? I believe this FO can find a gem for the DL in the draft at some point. They however will not find Darrelle Revis.

As far as affordability .. his contract is done in 2014. We could afford him and still be fine extending Wilson, Sherman, etc.

I think this opportunity is a lot more real than you might believe.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Basis4day":65awxqd6 said:
sainthawk29":65awxqd6 said:
I could see it, if JS and PC has this in mind...

Revis and Sherman on the outside.... seriously that is terrifying to think about.
Granted Revis to my knowledge has never played extensively press coverage, but if they want him I trust they believe they can do it.

Browner moves to SS.

Kam moves to Will.

I don't know if that would work, but if they are really interested I assume that would be the plan. Browner IMO would be a liablity in the slot, as it would take away his greatest strenght.

"We usually try not to move Pro Bowl players to different positions," - John Schneider

Haa ha. Thank you.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Another reason why this will never happen: Idzik just came from Seattle. How's it going to look for him if he deals the Jets' best player to his old boss for anything less than a perceived home run deal (i.e. something more than 1st & 2nd round picks). The NY media would destroy him.

mistaowen

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3qsruw6i said:
Another reason why this will never happen: Idzik just came from Seattle. How's it going to look for him if he deals the Jets' best player to his old boss for anything less than a perceived home run deal (i.e. something more than 1st & 2nd round picks). The NY media would destroy him.

Cause Revis is pretty much guaranteed to walk next year for nothing, while they stay in severe cap trouble. Why not get young talent he already knows about plus a decently high draft pick for a guy who doesn't want to be there? The Patriots did that throughout the past decade with success.

Armchair GM opinion is I would give them Flynn, a 2nd rounder, and a guy like Lane/Browner/Baldwin for Revis and a 4th. Idzik doesn't want Tebow there and Sanchez has proven he can't be effective without a dominate running game. Flynn's contract is not demanding at all and he would realistically beat out Sanchez in preseason. Revis allows us to not need Earl always watching over Browner's side and having him and Sherm on the outsides will in itself improve our pass rush. Browner will want a bigger contract when his is finished, so why not pay a few extra million for another lock down corner? And who knows, maybe Revis buys into our defense and doesn't demand the enormous contract to stick around.

Now, none of this matters if Revis demands an enormous contract regardless of the trade, because JS won't do it. And if the Jets try to fleece us for a 1st and 2nd plus a player it isn't going to happen.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10ko052r said:
Melton is likely getting tagged.. I wouldn't mind Starks either, but Revis > Starks on everyday ending in Y.

It's a pretty deep draft at DT. If you got Revis with a 2nd + other lower picks and maybe Lane.. why not? I believe this FO can find a gem for the DL in the draft at some point. They however will not find Darrelle Revis.

As far as affordability .. his contract is done in 2014. We could afford him and still be fine extending Wilson, Sherman, etc.

I think this opportunity is a lot more real than you might believe.

"Revis > Starks" ... not so fast. We need a player like Starks, we don't "need" Revis. Our secondary is the strength of the defense. I'm not sure we hang our hopes on drafting the immediate impact D line players we need. I see us going into free agency for that.

Revis contract actually voids after 2013. It will get murky, because the only way a team is going to trade for him is to agree to a new deal ahead of time - they won't spend the capital it will take to trade for him when he could be a free agent after the 2013 season. He is probbaly looking for a deal in the $100 million range. And, it might be wishful thinking that they would give him up for a 2nd and some players - they are believed to be seeking a 1st and a 2nd, but of course they may not have much room for a demand like that with their cap situation. Then there is the issue of his health....

And of course, we'd have to pay Sherman as much as Revis in a few years as well. Talk about cap hell.

I think this is fantasy more than a real opportunity, but it would be awesome to have him.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Darelle Revis is very very good. And because of that the Jets are going to want a lot in return for him (like a 1st round pick plus something else of value (another pick or player)). The current front office values their draft picks very highly, and rightfully so based on how successful their picks have been during the first three years of the current regime. It is also because they have been so successful that they will have some difficult decisions to make regarding upcoming cap room. They will have to re-sign (if they're going to) Chancellor, Tate, Baldwin, Browner, Sherman, Thomas and Wright in the next two offseasons. This list didn't include lesser pieces McQuistan, Giacomini and Robinson. Because of the size of the contract that Revis is going to demand, if they traded for him they essentially lose three or four players: the draft pick(s) and/or players involved in the trade, plus one or more guys off of the list I just gave. This front office is too smart to make a move like this.

If the Seahawks trade for Darelle Revis it would be the most shocking decision the Seahawks have made since selecting Dan McGwire in the first round of the 1991 draft.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":3cmfbgh1 said:
Haha, Revis is 24.

Not on this team he wouldn't be, there's only one 24 on the Hawks, Beastmode :th2thumbs:

On the topic of this, if we can get him for a reasonable price for two years till he walks then sure, but don't break the bank for him, its not needed.