Rumor: Hawks 'highly interested' in acquiring Darrelle Revis

joeshaney

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1vah0c9y said:
As much as I'd love Revis on the Hawks...if we're investing stackloads of cash and high draft picks into someone elses player could we please hassle Detroit into giving us Ndamukong Suh?

He's not available.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
joeshaney":3q1s8gmm said:
Hasselbeck":3q1s8gmm said:
SuperHawks":3q1s8gmm said:
Unless the Jets are willing to swap him for Flynn and a mid rounder I don't see it. We've got our own players who are gonna get paid soon enough so why bother giving up anything significant for a one year rental.

:lol:

The Jets are trying to clear cap room, not add a big contract for a big contract.

If this happens we're giving up picks.. maybe Lane since he's cheap

You are correct, however, if they bring in Matt Flynn's 5.25 million dollar cap hit they would also be deducting Revis's $6, Sanchez's $14, and Tebow's $6 million.

That's a net decrease of almost $21 milliIon. I understand this number may be subject to cap penalty, but only if they don't find a trade partner for Tebow as I believe Sanchez can be cut at any time without penalty after he restructured last year (might be wrong on this).

Cutting Sanchez does nothing. They're stuck with his salary no matter what. They can cut Bart Scott + Calvin Pace and free up $17M .. but still.. you've subtracted 3 key guys from a defense that isn't getting any better. They wouldn't take on Flynn at that salary.

Idzik is going to want to build the Jets up similar to how PC/JS have built this team up - via the draft. They will want picks for Revis if he's moved.. guaranteed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ampr6c25 said:
We need an elite corner less than any other team in the league. This isn't happening, people; get real.
We are sharing a brain today. This is never going to happen.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1netxsse said:
Idzik is going to want to build the Jets up similar to how PC/JS have built this team up - via the draft. They will want picks for Revis if he's moved.. guaranteed.

And who is a team in our division with LOTS of picks? :shock:

mikeak

Reaction score
joeshaney":3banj881 said:
You are correct, however, if they bring in Matt Flynn's 5.25 million dollar cap hit they would also be deducting Revis's $6, Sanchez's $14, and Tebow's $6 million.

That's a net decrease of almost $21 milliIon. I understand this number may be subject to cap penalty, but only if they don't find a trade partner for Tebow as I believe Sanchez can be cut at any time without penalty after he restructured last year (might be wrong on this).

Spotract lists Revis at $783K signing bonus - should hit Jets cap not ours

Then it shows base salary of $4.5 million and misc bonus of $6.2 so potential cap hit removed is almost $11 million. So that is a $6 millino saving if they get Flynn

Personally I think someone picks up Tebow of waiver or with a 7th rounder. I would be interested in a trade of Jets Tebow and 7th rounder for a 7th rounder lol - not sure if that is allowed. All to remove the cap hit

Now Tebow is only $4 million cap hit if he stays on roster with $2.5 for 2013 - not sure what part of that is guaranteed

Regardless of their salary situation and how much in qb spot. They are not starting Sanchez next year, they are not starting Tebow next year. They need a qb.........

mikeak

Reaction score
joeshaney":3ehxj2g0 said:
Hawkspur":3ehxj2g0 said:
As much as I'd love Revis on the Hawks...if we're investing stackloads of cash and high draft picks into someone elses player could we please hassle Detroit into giving us Ndamukong Suh?

He's not available.

Of course Detroit that has cap issue wouldn't want to move a person underperforming his contract who is stuck in controversy every week........ :sarcasm_off:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":j5ti2q1d said:
We need an elite corner less than any other team in the league. This isn't happening, people; get real.
Yeah, and after all, Revis to the 9rs, Rams, or Cards would kinda help even the playing field in the NFC WEST.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
2 part post here:

1) I am not going to say this is impossible, but it is very, very unrealistic. Salary and compensation (ie the 2 greatest factors) do not play in our favor. Yes, we have nice cap room, but we are also looking at some huge deals in the near future for our young corps (ET, RW, Sherm, etc). Likewise, you know that one (1) team will offer up something ridiculous, and that team most definitely will not be the Seahawks (see: history of PC/JS). We value our picks and losing a bunch of them is not the MO of this staff, and certainly not for a position of strength on this team (whether that is sheer talent or scheme manipulation).

2) Even if Revis is a luxury (to an extent) you never, ever turn your back on making your team better. Think of it this way...would you trade James Carpenter (and I really like Carpenter) for Darrelle Revis right now? The resounding answer should be "well no sh!t Sherlock." In essence (granted hindsight), this is a possible scenario trading Revis for a 1st rounder. Now, you could obviously "miss" the chance of drafting a great player, at the same time. The point is, you know what you are getting with Revis, even if he is coming off of an injury. ACL, like Tommy John (which I've had) is so advanced nowadays, that it takes an (anti) miracle to not come back from it. Is it a luxury? Sure it is. But, you are also talking about a player who drastically changes what you can do on defense.

All I am trying to illustrate, is that even though this is a highly improbable scenario, it does in fact make sense from a strictly "make your team better" point of view. I think Browner is a terrific CB, but he's not Revis. And like I said, further enhancing a strength, is never a bad thing, as long as it doesn't completely jeopardize and weaken a weakness.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
scutterhawk":b7t0c7mm said:
RolandDeschain":b7t0c7mm said:
Yeah, and after all, Revis to the 9rs, Rams, or Cards would kinda help even the playing field in the NFC WEST.
Now, the Seahawks getting involved to drive the price up for our rivals, that I can see.

joeshaney

Reaction score
mikeak":1lf3lpyx said:
joeshaney":1lf3lpyx said:
Hawkspur":1lf3lpyx said:

He's not available.

Of course Detroit that has cap issue wouldn't want to move a person underperforming his contract who is stuck in controversy every week........ :sarcasm_off:

they dont.... at all

joeshaney

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":usfe20de said:
2 part post here:

1) I am not going to say this is impossible, but it is very, very unrealistic. Salary and compensation (ie the 2 greatest factors) do not play in our favor. Yes, we have nice cap room, but we are also looking at some huge deals in the near future for our young corps (ET, RW, Sherm, etc). Likewise, you know that one (1) team will offer up something ridiculous, and that team most definitely will not be the Seahawks (see: history of PC/JS). We value our picks and losing a bunch of them is not the MO of this staff, and certainly not for a position of strength on this team (whether that is sheer talent or scheme manipulation).

2) Even if Revis is a luxury (to an extent) you never, ever turn your back on making your team better. Think of it this way...would you trade James Carpenter (and I really like Carpenter) for Darrelle Revis right now? The resounding answer should be "well no sh!t Sherlock." In essence (granted hindsight), this is a possible scenario trading Revis for a 1st rounder. Now, you could obviously "miss" the chance of drafting a great player, at the same time. The point is, you know what you are getting with Revis, even if he is coming off of an injury. ACL, like Tommy John (which I've had) is so advanced nowadays, that it takes an (anti) miracle to not come back from it. Is it a luxury? Sure it is. But, you are also talking about a player who drastically changes what you can do on defense.

All I am trying to illustrate, is that even though this is a highly improbable scenario, it does in fact make sense from a strictly "make your team better" point of view. I think Browner is a terrific CB, but he's not Revis. And like I said, further enhancing a strength, is never a bad thing, as long as it doesn't completely jeopardize and weaken a weakness.

this...

sainthawk29

Reaction score
joeshaney":2ddr9tho said:
Hasselbeck":2ddr9tho said:
SuperHawks":2ddr9tho said:
Unless the Jets are willing to swap him for Flynn and a mid rounder I don't see it. We've got our own players who are gonna get paid soon enough so why bother giving up anything significant for a one year rental.

:lol:

The Jets are trying to clear cap room, not add a big contract for a big contract.

If this happens we're giving up picks.. maybe Lane since he's cheap

They can't get rid of sanchez contract. The guarenteed money is cost prohibitive they would have to take a cap hit of 17.1 million (3 million more that keeping him) Sanchez will be on the Jets roster next year

hawker84

Reaction score
Well this is what some Jets fans want for Revis: this is totally realistic :17:

Packers- Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and 1st Round picks in 2013/2014

Broncos- Von Miller, Eric Decker, 2 1st round picks 2013/2014

Seahawks- Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, 2 1st Round Picks 2013/2014

49ers- Aldon Smith and a 1st Round Pick

Patriots- every pick for the rest of the existence

Bills- hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha maybe Dareus and 3 1st Round Picks

all showing interest, those are the deals I would accept from them

pinksheets

Reaction score
If we got him for cheap, I'd be all for it.

But I don't see the point in investing a ton into having 2 shutdown corners.

Are we really that concerned about opposing teams' #2 receivers? I think Browner does just fine for the most part when it comes to stopping that kind of talent. I certainly won't scoff at a Sherman-Revis tandem but I do think that it's a huge luxury that quickly becomes not worth the pricetag.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Here's how these things work with nebulous "anonymous source" type rumors.

Step #1: Look at which teams have enough cap room to afford player
Step #2: Is there prior history or ties between two teams
Step #3: Float rumor in 200 different directions and see if anything sticks to the wall
Step #4: Cut a hole in the box.

mikeak

Reaction score
"Seahawks- Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, 2 1st Round Picks 2013/2014"

LMAO :chug: :thcocktail:

CHawks4L

Reaction score
I am a billion percent CERTAIN that the Hawks are HIGHLY interested in Revis. PC and JS are highly interested in everyone, even personal trainers like Chukwurah...

It's nice to have a restless and diligent FO, but I doubt we'd ever come close to pulling the trigger on a deal.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Revis is one of the premiere defensive players in the league. Of course the Seahawks are interested. Only stupid teams wouldn't be interested.

Doesn't mean it will happen... but if it's the right deal for this team they'll go for it. And so they should too. You can never have enough good corners, let alone elite, lockdown corners like Revis who take away an entire side of the field consistently. You cannot throw at this guy.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Question? Has any team ever had the 2 best lockdown corners in the NFL. Not saying it is going to happen, because frankly, I see the stategy behind it, but don't believe it will be a reality.

I have a hard time imaging 2/3rd of a football field a complete "no fly zone"

Latest posts