Sherman explains to the world why he is better than Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hzla2aj said:
Except when he fell down giving up that TD in Atlanta.
What a joke. See below:

bestfightstory":2hzla2aj said:
Roland and kidhawk. I have never heard a Sehawks fan complain about Sherman's on-field performance.
Really? I see several people in this thread wanting Sherman to prove it on the field before talking more. That is a direct reference to his on-field performance, and they're using damned near the ONLY time he has gotten burned as some sort of perceived evidence for wanting him to be quiet. Nobody in the history of the world has ever been perfect, and Sherman's 99% of the way there, placing him in the top handful of players at ANY POSITION in the league with how good he was this year, and they're trying to use performance as an excuse for something. It's absolutely ridiculous. You can want him to be quiet all you want, but you cannot - ABSOLUTELY CANNOT link it to his performance in any way, shape, or form. That is worse than asinine.

Check it out, Sherman was tied for 2nd place with Adrian Peterson for approximate value in the entire league, across all positions on both sides of the ball, by Pro Football Reference: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... eaders.htm

Those of you whining about Sherman's mouth, that's fine, BUT STOP MENTIONING PERFORMANCE or relating to it directly or indirectly in any way. That is absolutely ridiculous, and by ridiculous I mean a euphemism for something I can't say outside the shack that is very insulting towards you.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TJH":1no24sfl said:
I want to be a classy organization.

Been there, done that....how many superbowls did that get us?

Not to mention that it's not like he's putting others down, he's just confident in himself. If he were saying that Revis sucked, that would be different. That's not what he's doing. He's saying that his name should be mentioned with the best in the game.

I'd have to agree, and his All-Pro nod tends to support it as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":2i2i4hoo said:
find me a cornerback that's never ever ever been beaten and I'll find you a guy getting paid 20m a year

My point is you'd think giving up a huge TD where you fell on your face and cost your team a chance at the NFC Championship game might create a little off season humility.

Jac

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3no4kub8 said:
TJH":3no4kub8 said:
The dude needs to learn a little bit of how to act from Wilson. Tired of the bragging and talk.

Or we can embrace the smack talk! Enjoy it even? We have arguably the best corner in the league, who isn't afraid to talk some smack, and backs it up on the field! He's our new GP!

I know a lot of Seahawk fans are old school, quiet/silent style, the Steve Largent types (and Russell Wilson). Don't say a word, let your actions speak for themselves, act like you've been there before, yadda yadda yadda. But there's nothing wrong with having players with personality.

But c'mon get out of your comfort zones a bit, embrace the Sherman smack talk, its a lot more fun when you do.

It'd be impossible for me to agree more. Sherman is exactly the kind of player/personality this team needed. He's the kind of player that other parts of the country pay attention to (...and so many here have talked incessantly about lack of exposure/respect over the years!) Plus, he's one of those extremely rare commodoties...a shutdown corner (only a handful in the league at most). Some will love him and more will think he's a villian...but, in any event, they'll be thinking and talking about Seattle.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":19ghkc9z said:
I'm not really sure why Sherman is picking this fight? I love the guy, but it's not like he can leverage this into a paycheck this off season.

If you don't know why than u don't know Sherman.
Drafted in the 5th round passed over by 32 teams 4 times including his college coach.
He is a prideful competitor with oozing confidence. This is who he is and those who wish he be quiet don't know him.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3i7z39el said:
Sgt. Largent":3i7z39el said:
What a joke. See below:

bestfightstory":3i7z39el said:
Roland and kidhawk. I have never heard a Sehawks fan complain about Sherman's on-field performance.
Really? I see several people in this thread wanting Sherman to prove it on the field before talking more. That is a direct reference to his on-field performance, and they're using damned near the ONLY time he has gotten burned as some sort of perceived evidence for wanting him to be quiet. Nobody in the history of the world has ever been perfect, and Sherman's 99% of the way there, placing him in the top handful of players at ANY POSITION in the league with how good he was this year, and they're trying to use performance as an excuse for something. It's absolutely ridiculous. You can want him to be quiet all you want, but you cannot - ABSOLUTELY CANNOT link it to his performance in any way, shape, or form. That is worse than asinine.

It's like he's already held to a higher standard than other corners. And they don't even realize they're doing it.

"Did you see that one pass they completed on him, he's not very good!" Ignoring that he locked his side of the field down for 99.99% of the remaining plays, registered 5 PD's and 2 INT's.(just an example) :|

And opposing WR's actually celebrate when they get a pass completion on him. It's actually pretty crazy to think about. There could be 25-35 passes completed in a game, but they celebrate the ones on Sherman. That's really telling.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q637br8 said:
themunn":2q637br8 said:
find me a cornerback that's never ever ever been beaten and I'll find you a guy getting paid 20m a year

My point is you'd think giving up a huge TD where you fell on your face and cost your team a chance at the NFC Championship game might create a little off season humility.

I'd be very worried about Sherman if this was the case. Great players never do this.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sherman is becoming obnoxious, this isn' t New York keep your mouth closed.

kidhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":occ6akyz said:

Some of us just prefer a more ?dignified? approach to the game.... Think Cortez. Or Kenny Easley..

Different Strokes.

That's fine, I'm not here to tell you which players to like or dislike, but it's not like sherman is being disrespectful here, he's not putting down anyone here, he's just elevating himself. Different people have different personalities. You can't have a team in the NFL of all nice guys on the field, or you will not be too successful. Each team, not unlike a family unit, needs different personalities to survive. I wouldn't want an entire team of Shermans, nor (no matter how much I love him) would I want an entire team of Wilsons. I like the chemistry our team has right now and Sherman puts his own little spin on it.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
kidhawk":d2yal8tv said:
Love how people hate on Sherman. The man is confident in his job and he brings it to the field each and every week. With Revis' ACL injury, anyone doubt that Sherman will be better than Revis from this point out? Revis had a great career, but with that ACL, he's bound to lose a little bit when he comes back. Sherman has been getting better.

That's not a guarantee as we all witnessed with Adrian Peterson this year.

Sherman is talented, but I think that this kind of talk if he keeps it up will just continue to fall on deaf ears. As some of the other teams boards I have read and the comments that are made on sites like that one in the OP when he does things like this, usually include a statement that questions if his numbers would have been as impressive as they were this year if he wasn't involved with performance enhancers. Since he got off on a technicality during his appeal, he will be closely watched next year by the NFL world to see if be can play like be did this year again. His reputation in hat regard would have been better served by having been proved correct in his appeal, instead of getting off on a technicality. That's just the way it is for people in the public eye.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3458ila3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3458ila3 said:
What a joke. See below:

bestfightstory":3458ila3 said:

Check it out, Sherman was tied for 2nd place with Adrian Peterson for approximate value in the entire league, across all positions on both sides of the ball, by Pro Football Reference: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... eaders.htm

Those of you whining about Sherman's mouth, that's fine, BUT STOP MENTIONING PERFORMANCE or relating to it directly or indirectly in any way. That is absolutely ridiculous, and by ridiculous I mean a euphemism for something I can't say outside the shack that is very insulting towards you.
The point EVERYONE was trying to make is to live by actions not words, it goes for all of us.

hawker84

Reaction score
TJH":9zx113fi said:
twisted_steel2":9zx113fi said:
TJH":9zx113fi said:
The dude needs to learn a little bit of how to act from Wilson. Tired of the bragging and talk.

Or we can embrace the smack talk! Enjoy it even? We have arguably the best corner in the league, who isn't afraid to talk some smack, and backs it up on the field! He's our new GP!

Nah, I am not going to change my outlook on sports just because the guy is on our team. I will say this, if Sherman was a 9er, he would be the most hated person on these forums, and nobody can deny that.

I love him as a player, but that's not identity I like for our team. I want to be a classy organization.

I have to agree with this post.... take it down a notch Sherm.. we still love ya but damn.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
kidhawk":2d926eqd said:
bestfightstory":2d926eqd said:

Some of us just prefer a more ?dignified? approach to the game.... Think Cortez. Or Kenny Easley..

Different Strokes.

That's fine, I'm not here to tell you which players to like or dislike, but it's not like sherman is being disrespectful here, he's not putting down anyone here, he's just elevating himself. Different people have different personalities. You can't have a team in the NFL of all nice guys on the field, or you will not be too successful. Each team, not unlike a family unit, needs different personalities to survive. I wouldn't want an entire team of Shermans, nor (no matter how much I love him) would I want an entire team of Wilsons. I like the chemistry our team has right now and Sherman puts his own little spin on it.

I don't disagree. Not one bit. I've just never been enamored of the 'look at me' players. Well... I was intoxicated by Bosworth coming out of college. Anyway, I'm glad Sherm is on our team. Obviously. He's a phenom. Just not that thrilled with the self-aggrandizement. It often foretells problems. Pride comes before a fall. Old-school crap.

kidhawk

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1n3pdtnm said:
kidhawk":1n3pdtnm said:
Love how people hate on Sherman. The man is confident in his job and he brings it to the field each and every week. With Revis' ACL injury, anyone doubt that Sherman will be better than Revis from this point out? Revis had a great career, but with that ACL, he's bound to lose a little bit when he comes back. Sherman has been getting better.

That's not a guarantee as we all witnessed with Adrian Peterson this year.

Sherman is talented, but I think that this kind of talk if he keeps it up will just continue to fall on deaf ears. As some of the other teams boards I have read and the comments that are made on sites like that one in the OP when he does things like this, usually include a statement that questions if his numbers would have been as impressive as they were this year if he wasn't involved with performance enhancers. Since he got off on a technicality during his appeal, he will be closely watched next year by the NFL world to see if be can play like be did this year again. His reputation in hat regard would have been better served by having been proved correct in his appeal, instead of getting off on a technicality. That's just the way it is for people in the public eye.

It's not a guarantee, but CB and RB are two different positions. CB's need to be more agile and faster. It only takes a split second to get burned. Revis can come back and still be a great corner, but if you watched Sherman play this year, he is playing as well as Revis was BEFORE the injury, and the surgery won't make Revis a better CB. Peterson didn't become a better RB, he ran into a rare opportunity this season with some god awful QB play, they really put the game in his hands more. Not trying to take anything away from Revis here, but Sherman has only a year and a half of playing experience and is already as good as Revis at his prime. Revis won't be any better than he was when he returns, but Sherman is still improving.

grizbob

Reaction score
If it aint bothering Pete, it aint bothering me. :stirthepot:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1a71ksgi said:
The rest of the NFL has BEEN obnoxious since I don't know when. They pass Sherman up for the Pro Bowl? Really? Screw them. Sherman's just shoving their ignorance in their faces and you know what? THEY NEED THEIR IGNORANCE SHOVED IN THEIR FACES.

Good on him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2sot2meo said:

This isn't Catholic Sunday School class, either. To everyone complaining about Sherm's mouth: less whining would be nice.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3s6bj359 said:
It often foretells problems. Pride comes before a fall. Old-school crap.

Except in the real world, this isn't true a lot of the time, and plenty of prideful people don't get a comeuppance. Not that being prideful in and of itself deserves being taught a lesson. This isn't a rom-com.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2f3c62zq said:
themunn":2f3c62zq said:

He was assignment sound on that play. 31 was supposed to be over the top, but got suckered. The falling down had nothing to do with the result. The assignment for that play was chase.

Or we could do it your way and blame him for not getting one game farther while ignoring the handful of really great individual plays he made in that game.

hawker84

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ytopjjz said:
bestfightstory":2ytopjjz said:

Different Strokes.

Kid i hear what you're saying and agree with it for the most part.. but there are more productive way to lift yourself up... i'm sure Revis takes some offense to the fact the Sherman threw his name out there like this... which wasn't necesarry.... all he had to do was say, i think i'm the top corner in the league , here's my numbers to back that up... if Revis wanted to challenge , then he could... you can talk smack and still keep it classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.