kearly's dream draft 2.0

kearly

Reaction score
I realize that I included the "who I would pick" options in the realistic mock the other day, but for the sake of variety I'll mix it up a little this time.

1st round: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

[youtube]oTJjRlGOCjk[/youtube]

Drafting Hopkins at #25 feels like drafting Julio Jones without selling the farm to get him.

Hopkins is the perfect WR for what Seattle needs. He runs terrific routes. He can cut on a dime on the short comebacker. He can beat DBs with double moves and beat defenses deep. He has the attitude of a champion and will work tirelessly to improve his craft. He is physical but also quick.

Tahj Boyd is actually a pretty good QB capable of spreading the ball, and yet he clearly favored Hopkins last season. Hopkins is the best WR on that team, but he still earns those targets.

The downside with Hopkins is that he doesn't have the strongest hands and sometimes struggles against good coverage (lots of balls knocked out). He's a great deep ball WR when he gets behind the DB and knows how to catch a ball in stride, but when he's targeted deep on contested throws (jump ball scenario) he often mistimes his jump much like Golden Tate does.

Bottom line: Hopkins is perhaps the best route runner in the draft (in a stellar WR class), he's got size, and he will probably surprise people with his 40 time at the combine. He's outrunning people on the deep stuff. The lack of hype for him is unfathomable to me.

2nd round: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

[youtube]ExvDtq8Whq0[/youtube]

I think the "lack of athleticism," which I put in air quotes because it's been exaggerated, will cause Okafor to slip in the draft. Late 2nd, even 3rd or 4th round would not completely shock me. Purely in terms of size and athleticism, he's similar to Everson Griffen (2010), who was touted as a late 1st option but slid into the 4th round. Everson Griffen had 8 sacks last year, btw. While Okafor probably raised some eyebrows with a 4.5 sack performance in his final college game, I think at the end of the day a mediocre combine will lower his stock and this pick could become realistic.

Okafor is a player that I didn't like much at first but the more I watch him the more I warm up to the idea of drafting him. His speed is roughly on par with Chris Clemons' speed. Clemons is quick but he's hardly a blur. Clemons made it big in Seattle after mastering a wide repertoire of pass rush moves over his career. Okafor is similar in that he relies on skill more than pure athleticism. And like Clemons, Okafor is a finisher. He's not an elite prospect, but he's perhaps an under-rated one in a bleak pass rusher draft class.

Okafor is not an "ideal" LEO, but he is in my opinion the best LEO candidate that could realistically be in play at either #25 or #58. If Pete is adamant about Okafor not being athetic enough, he should probably address the area in free agency. My gut instinct is that Okafor doesn't end up a Seahawk. He might not be fast enough, and he's certainly not unique. He is good enough, and undervalued. I'd draft him, but I'm not sure our FO would. Then again, this draft is sorely lacking for fast LEO types.

3rd round: Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State University

[youtube]3YJL7Omn6G4[/youtube]

(Williams is #66)

I hope that I am the only one outside our front office to make this comparison: Haloti Ngata. Both weigh 340 pounds, both move very fast for their size, both can shed blocks, and both alternate between 3-tech and 1-tech roles despite their mammoth size. Williams is so athletic he was often seen lining up in a 3-tech spot and then stunting around the end. Like Ngata, Williams is a nasty tackler and can obliterate his victims.

The only reason why Williams is a 3rd or 4th round pick is because he played for a small school (for which he owns their all time sack record: 29). His domination in the senior bowl should put to rest worries over level of competition. Like Russell Wilson last year, Williams is being devalued for reasons that can be factually disproven, or are at least on tenuous footing. Honestly, it would not shock me if Seattle took Williams in round 1, his upside is certainly high enough and he seems like the kind of player that could see a massive rise up draft boards in the final two months.

4th round: Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers

[youtube]VfhOBZfybFg[/youtube]

I'm guessing Pete Carroll is a much bigger fan of Greene than I am, but if Greene's 230 pound weight on a maxed out frame helps him last this long, count me as part of the fan club. Not to sound cynical. Like Okafor, Greene is a player that I like more and more every time I go back and watch him. He rarely moves at top speed, but Carroll might view that as a positive. Greene plays well below his speed potential out of tentativeness, but with coaching he could outgrow it and become a fast linebacker in the future. Greene looked faster in 2012 than he did in 2011- seemingly because of increased comfort and decisiveness.

Greene is a natural linebacker who fills gaps well and isn't afraid of the scrum. I doubt he'll clock a 40 time better than 4.6 (another reason I think he'll last this long), but he's not an embarrassment as a blitzer and can drop deep into coverage quickly.

Above all, I just get that "Pete Carroll LB" vibe from Greene like crazy when I watch him. It's reassuring knowing that Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan made the same observation on a recent Sirius radio segment. Kirwan is close friend with Carroll and might be privy to some inside information. It's enough to make you wonder.

If Pete wasn't our coach, I wouldn't draft Greene. But given Pete's track record with linebackers just like this, I think he could probably turn Greene into a minor star next year just like he did for Wagner. Getting a minor star at a position of need is a bargain in the 4th round.

5th round: Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

[youtube]XNtbp1JSS90[/youtube]

Hyde is an outstanding, well rounded cover corner with size who's being devalued for a lack of speed and a one time public intoxication incident. This pick is right up Seattle's alley.

5th round: Denard Robinson, WR/RB/KR/QB, Michigan

[youtube]A7f-9_1y-zk[/youtube]

Robinson just bombed the Senior Bowl practices as a WR. That's to be expected, WR is not a position that can be learned overnight. Tony Pauline (SI) tends to have good sources. Here is what he tweeted about Robinson yesterday:

Senior Bowl notes posted- most scouts presently have a last day grade on Denard Robinson/WR/Michigan

I think Robinson's future is very bright at RB should he add just a little bit of bulk. I think he could excel in a Leon Washington role. As a WR, well, Seattle isn't afraid of projects at WR. And while I don't think Robinson is an NFL QB, he does have read option experience and could be an emergency consideration. Most importantly, Robinson's 4.3 speed could make him an asset on kick returns and give Seattle their heir to Leon Washington.

That's a ton of utility out of one roster spot, and remember, Pete and John love versatility out of their players. It's worth noting that a Seattle scout was seen chatting with Robinson at the Senior Bowl.

6th round: Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn

[youtube]WJFUIUgpizg[/youtube]

I said before that this draft is very thin on speedy LEO candidates. One under the radar option that I think could be worth looking into on day 3 is Corey Lemonier. He's undersized (6'3", 242 pounds), but possesses outstanding speed. He had 9.5 sacks in 2011 but really hurt his stock this year by posting just .5 sacks over his final 8 games (5.5 for the season). Lemonier actually had a year of eligibility left but turned it down to go pro. That's a big mistake, although it could be a mistake that plays in Seattle's favor.

Lemonier needs to add weight, but it's worth noting that he's the same height and six pounds heavier than Chris Clemons when he was coming out of Georgia in 2003. Lemonier looks fast enough to run sub 4.6, and he'd not without a few pass rush moves. I like how he finishes a sack too. The thing that stood out to me watching the video above is how Auburn played him at a 5-technique position (shaded just outside tackle). Had they lined him up in a LEO type position he probably would have faired a lot better. Could be a case like Irvin at WVU. Irvin's production plummetted when they moved him inside, but he bounced back immediately when returned to a nine-tech type role.

Lemonier is generally graded in the late 3rd round, but there are extenuating circumstances that could cause GMs to underrate him come draft day.

7th round: Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond

[youtube]keDMX76oW1Q[/youtube]

More potato filmed footage of a true freak of nature, Taylor stands 6'5" and yet moves like a much shorter man. He can cover a lot of ground in a hurry and I love the way he flings himself into tackles. 2013 is looking like a great draft for small school players.

7th round: Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson

[youtube]X1_8CcFecnc[/youtube]

Ford is a classic H-back type, and gives the Seahawks a stretch the field threat from a tight end spot. Would make for good competition alongside Cameron Morrah for the #3 TE job.

7th round: Matt Scott, QB, Arizona

[youtube]jR-7vIeLyso[/youtube]

I would almost guarantee you that Seattle will draft a backup QB capable of running the read option, and the list of mid to late round QBs who can offer that is a short one. Matt Scott is a leading candidate, and they might take him earlier than this. I probably would, but I have him this low after he (according to youtube) measured 6'1.75" at the Senior Bowl.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Good stuff Kip. I'd absolutely love it if the Hawks draft fell this way.

Brandon Williams has quickly become my favorite player in the draft, sorry DeAndre, and I'd gladly take him in the 1st round if I were in charge. He might cry tears of joy considering how hard he's worked to get to the NFL.

[youtube]WGSMeSZXQdM[/youtube]

If we got him along with Hopkins, Okafor, Greene, Hyde, Robinson, Taylor, and Scott?! That would be yet another amazing draft haul. Hopefully we at least get a few of the guys you mentioned. Namely Hopkins or Williams.

pehawk

Reaction score
I like this dream draft, but am sad this is what kearly dreams of, exclusively.

Matt Scott is to kearly what Jordan Rogers is to pehawk.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kip, I know you respect Matt Waldman. Here is what he has to say about my favorite TE prospect:
TE Vance McDonald, Rice

Waldman: Rice isn’t technically a small school, but as a non-F.B.S. program I think it qualifies. McDonald dropped easy passes at least twice a day during the last two days of practice. I don’t care about those, because in the scheme of the positives I saw, I believe those miscues were correctable concentration flaws that I didn’t see from the games I have watched thus far. It also helped that McDonald made some of the best catches of any tight end at either practice this week. He was the only tight end who could consistently get open deep against a safety and play a physical game against linebackers. My favorite play of the week from McDonald was a drill versus a linebacker where McDonald released from the right side of the formation and was asked to break across the field to the left hash. In previous reps from other tight ends running this route, I noticed bigger players like Alabama’s Mike Williams or Colorado’s Nick Kasa trying to push off at the top of their stems. McDonald lowered his shoulder and got his pads under the linebacker’s, turning outside through the contact as he dropped the defender on his back. The tight end kept his balance through the trash and broke outside for the catch. McDonald also made difficult catches all week despite the easy drops.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I like it, maybe I would switch it up and double dip on WR by adding Hopkins and then Wheaton in the second, then go defense heavy but can't argue with that haul. I really like both of them and thinking about Miller, Wheaton, Hopkins, Rice, Tate, McCoy, and Baldwin, that is a deep WR core going forward.

One player I would try and add later would be Quanterus Smith in the 5th or 6th and get him healthy, he could be a dark horse for us on draft day.

We will probably attempt to acquire at least one DT (vet that can play 3 and 5) and DE (Osi) in FA and perhaps another long receiving TE.

cover-2

Reaction score
Great mock! I'm on the Brandon Williams bandwagon and think it could be a steal getting him in the 3rd round. I like rounds 1-2 as well, but I'm not a fan of Greene even if it is in the 4th round. Good upside players with the late round picks.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Great write up Kip. We part ways on Okafor though. Dude is just not very good. He's slower than Clemons by a lot and gets blocked by everyone. The highlight film you had up there is not all impressive. He's a bust waiting to happen. I bet he slides to the 3rd round at a minumum.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
If we snagged both Hopkins and Williams, that would be EPIC.

Not high on Okafor...probably mainly because his name is too close to ex-Seahawk Chike Okeafor. :vodka:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Deandre hopkins has me very interested. this kid gets open and meets the tall athletic requirement Pete likes. hands need to get stronger as Kip mentioned but dang he looks like MONEY.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":7u5qp6gl said:
Matt Scott is to kearly what Jordan Rogers is to pehawk.

I like Jordan Rodgers too. Unfortunately, that's about my full list of late round QBs that I covet this year. Last year I could have named five or six, with Wilson topping the list. Last year was stellar for late round QBs. This year, there aren't as many options (I think Manuel is going to be a 2nd rounder).

Chukarhawk":7u5qp6gl said:
Great write up Kip. We part ways on Okafor though. Dude is just not very good. He's slower than Clemons by a lot and gets blocked by everyone. The highlight film you had up there is not all impressive. He's a bust waiting to happen. I bet he slides to the 3rd round at a minumum.

I don't think he's much slower than Clemons. Clemons ran a 4.68 when he weighed 236 as a rookie. Outside of the top end pass rushers (Jones, Moore, Werner) that will not likely make it out of the top 15, Okafor is clearly the most consistent end in the draft after those guys. He's almost always pressuring the QB in 3 seconds or less. He's not a freak, but he knows his craft.

If there is a case against Okafor, it's that he's compares fairly well to Derrick Morgan in 2010. Morgan has gotten a little better each season and might break out in year 4, but he basically added zero pass rush in the first two years. Everson Griffen added close to zero pass rush in the first two years before having 8 sacks in 2012. It takes a very special pass rusher to contribute right away, and while I like Okafor, he's not special. I think he's a great pick long term, but short term he'd likely hurt more than help.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Brandon Williams... wow what a video that was. Would love some easy-to-watch tape on that guy. Those arms make Turbin look small.

EDIT - watched some of the game tape above. I don't mind small school guys, but they have to dominate the opponent given the difference in quality. I didn't see a great deal of domination from Brandon Williams.

chris98251

Reaction score
I probably would, but I have him this low after he (according to youtube) measured 6'1.75" at the Senior Bowl.

Damn he's tall for a Seattle QB, I see no issues there, guys that have a bit more stocky build are better suited to run this offense I think, good quick muscle reflexes, can take a few hits. Muscle mass typically can absorb contacts better also as it's distributed across a larger area and insulates .

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":1nxcqyoq said:
Damn he's tall for a Seattle QB, I see no issues there

I don't either, but rougly 85% of the NFL would disagree with me. That means he could be in play as a realistic 7th rounder.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
It's fun mocking Williams in round 3, but I have a feeling that Williams will be a 1st rounder. Watching that interview video was the last nail that sold him for me. Usually DTs with his gifts do not have a heart of gold and that strong a work ethic.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":8cayitcg said:
It's fun mocking Williams in round 3, but I have a feeling that Williams will be a 1st rounder. Watching that interview video was the last nail that sold him for me. Usually DTs with his gifts do not have a heart of gold and that strong a work ethic.

Are you that impressed with the tape though? I'm a little 'meh'.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Well, I did compare him to Haloti Ngata. Moves incredibly well for 340 pounds (was very impressed with the agility of his stunts). Like Ngata, he hits like a 340 pound charging linebacker when getting a free release. Doesn't beat double teams often but can make guys look silly on 1v1 stuff. He has good hand use and is fast on the snap. He's supposedly dominating the Senior Bowl practices which helps dispel the notion that he can only beat crappy competition.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm 18 minutes into the video now and still not feeling it. He doesn't seem to have any counter, his hand use could be better, he isn't dominating mediocre opposition. He isn't winning the 1vs1's and double teams are keeping him well out of the play. On one play 14:30 in he's slowed by a double team and a third lineman comes over and dumps him on the turf. I'm not expecting a dancing bear at 340lbs but he's not overpowering these guys, getting much push on the drive or showing any moves (swim/rip). I hate making judgements on one video but with small school guys I think you almost want to see them stand out so much because the competition is vastly inferior. Right now I'm not blown away at all but I'll finish the video.

I've also seen mixed reviews on his senior bowl display. Some positive like this: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ten ... -week.html

Then there's Pat Kirwan's slightly mixed review: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-k ... mpressions

"Finally there's Brandon Williams, a young man that struggled a lot early in the week to the point he didn't look like he belonged here. Williams was on the ground Monday but was a force by Thursday. He told me he went back to his room Monday night and decided to do a better job for his mom and 3-month-old son. He's got a fan in me after he recounted how his mother and brother lived in a car for a period of time when things were tough."

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I sense we are looking for different things. All I know is that 340 pound humans should not move that well. He's also fast off the snap which is pretty uncommon in this draft. Sometimes you see videos where a guy looks like crap and then lucks into a sack and it makes him look good on paper that day. I don't see that with Williams. He is getting in backfield frequently, and he's not some 1 trick pony either. As far as the "dumped on the turf" comment, it's really hard to complain about getting knocked down when it took 3 players to do it.

Williams is not Cortez Kennedy, but Kennedy showed that even big men can make a dynamic impact in the pass rush. With time and development, I could see Williams collapsing NFL pockets. I certainly wouldn't underestimate a 340 pound dude with a fast first step. And if nothing else, Williams could be a problem fixer for Seattle as a 5-tech if Bryant's foot problem causes him to struggle again in 2013.

Latest posts