Da'Rick Rogers 1rst rnd talent 5th rnd brain.

justafan

Reaction score
Not too long ago I would have written this kid off for smokin weed but with the way things are I have become more acceptable of mistakes these kids make.I made worse thats for sure.
I started looking at players late this year and started with some Wrs and this kid really jumps out with all the talent he has.I love the toughness and the willingness to take a hit over the middle and make the catch.
Tore it up in the SEC 2011 before getting the boot and having an average year with Tenn Tech this last year.Should have probably stayed in school one more year to show he has changed.After watching the presser with the tech coach I believed what he was saying.
As far as talent he is right up there with the best of them in this class.Body control, size,speed,toughness, hands open field running just not alot of weak spots in his game. Hopefully he will pull his head out and realise his potential.
He will probably take a heck of a drop in the draft and I would probably overdraft this kid just on the talent he has shown.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Besides smoking weed and maybe coming out a year early is there anything else that shows he's a dumbass? I honestly don't know. I've heard about this kid and rumored Character concerns, I just haven't heard much else besides the weed smoking. You said you watch the Tech coach's pressser. Did he say somethings about this guy?

I've also heard he has all the talent you want in a receiver, so I'm curious if he's worth the risk as well.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Reminds me of Michael Irvin, the way he plays and even his mannerism and voice at times.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think this guy could possibly be a Brandon Marshall or Julio Jones clone, sadly complete with the 50 cent head, but maybe that could change if surrounded by a strong team of guys like those already here. He's 6'3", 215 4.5/40 and has great hands yet is still developing, though is already a strong route runner. Thing is i believe he has real talent, a potentially huge upside, has legit 1st rd. talent, and could be available in the 2nd rd. or even maybe in the 3rd b/c of his character concerns. He's possibly the big physical talented RAC split-end WR Pete has been looking for since he got here. He was dominant and uncovereable in the SEC two seasons ago before getting axed by Tenn for smoking weed. This guy could be a diamond in the rough.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":4ujp0etv said:
I think this guy could possibly be a Brandon Marshall or Julio Jones clone, sadly complete with the 50 cent head, but maybe that could change if surrounded by a strong team of guys like those already here. He's 6'3", 215 4.5/40 and has great hands yet is still developing, though is already a strong route runner. Thing is i believe he has real talent, a potentially huge upside, has legit 1st rd. talent, and could be available in the 2nd rd. or even maybe in the 3rd b/c of his character concerns. He's possibly the big physical talented RAC split-end WR Pete has been looking for since he got here. He was dominant and uncovereable in the SEC two seasons ago before getting axed by Tenn for smoking weed. This guy could be a diamond in the rough.

I may be misreading your post, but I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about Julio Jones that would lead me to believe that he has a 50 cent head. Quite the opposite actually.

OP
OP
J

justafan

Reaction score
My 5th round brain comment was a little harsh probably.I don't think he is a dumbass.The kid was just a Soph. when he was one of the top WRs in the SEC so he did make some bad decisions to get kicked off the team but I don't think he is in the same league as a young Brandon Marshal character wise.
But thats the way life is.You take a lot of tests when you are 18 or 19 and learn the lessons after you fail a couple and grow older.
He sounded sincere when took responsibility for his mistakes and made his apologies.
He may not even be around when we draft at 2 but he will have to come totally clean at the combine and convince a team he isn't the same kid.
If I am right about his talent and he follows examples of someone like Wilson you could have something special.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2s3a8o54 said:
jammerhawk":2s3a8o54 said:

I may be misreading your post, but I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about Julio Jones that would lead me to believe that he has a 50 cent head. Quite the opposite actually.

You're right and perhaps my post was unfair to Julio Jones on the character issues. What I meant was that I see this guy as an amalgam combo of Jones and Marshall. Physically he's not as big as Marshall but possibly has Marshall's 50 cent head and RAC ability while being closer to Jones in terms of his physical size and his ability to catch in traffic and physicality after the catch. So apologies to Jones fans. In terms of his character he's only got a couple of weed fails of drug which may be youthful stupidity and a bar fight which points towards his possible arrogance. However, who knows we weren't there and stuff happens. I think another year in college may have helped his route running but he's still pretty good at being a WR.

The film on him shows he's not a body catcher, he seems to have strong hands, isn't afraid to contest a catch in traffic, and is physical after the catch. I don't believe he has sub 4.45/40 speed but isn't slow and certainly looks fast enough to be successful as a pro. In the right organization with some solid experienced guys I suspect the character concerns will fade away. This guy may turn out to be a draft day steal if taken in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

volshawk

Reaction score
As a UT grad, I've followed the ups and downs of DR rather closely. Great talent and great head case. He can definitely play in the league, but wouldn't be surprised to see a Titus Young situation occur. I'd much rather have Justin Hunter or CP, but he has a ton of talent. I just fear his attitude will create a premature ceiling.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He basically had multiple violations of the substance abuse policy. Based on what I've gathered trawling the net over the last year... he was given plenty of chances by Dooley and kept making the same mistakes, ignoring the warnings. And eventually they said enough's enough.

It basically comes down to whether you can trust this guy once he gets paid. And the only people who can answer that are NFL employee's who can investigate him, speak to him, grill him. I could see him in round 2/3... I could see him going undrafted. Who knows what happens. It really depends if he can convince the NFL he's changed.

volshawk

Reaction score
English, you are right. The substance issues are what eventually led to his dismissal. That's obviously a big red flag, but my bigger issue is that he was the dreaded locker room 'cancer'. He divided the team with his attitude.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What goes unsaid here is has he grown up at all, or is he still the same self absorbed but über talented WR?

If he is as talented as most every report indicates is he not not worth a shot at seeing if his attitude can be redirected?

I've not read anything about him being a locker room cancer or distraction (unless the drugs or his apparent season ending postgame meltdown are what you are talking about). I've read only that he was an unrepentant serial weed smoker who ignored coaches warnings about it, and got into a bar fight along with a team mate. Can you point me to a report that indicates he's a locker room cancer? there is no doubt but every team looking at him will check him out thoroughly and he may drop like a stone to a point where he's cheap to cut if his attitude hasn't changed.

volshawk

Reaction score
He has always been a diva since arriving in Knoxville. Missed a ton of practices, got into a near physical altercation with the strength coach and had insubordination issues with the coaching staff. There was a strong rumor that he (and Bray) tanked the Kentucky game two years ago because they didn't want to play in a lower tier bowl.

He has talent, but I would take Hunter over him in a heartbeat.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately I suspect Hunter would be long gone by the 56th pick but it's possible Rogers may not.

Your knowledge of the Vols is undoubtedly superior to most here and although he's a diva Rogers is a talented player who may eventually grow up. Of course he may just be another self focus athlete that only
"loves me some me".

It's this kids talent and not his head that intrigues me as a possible fit with our WRs and RW. There is a lot of maturity on this team and a prima donna that doesn't focus on team first will get schooled quick or will be gone. I guess I look at the potential upside of his talent and am worried less about his character until I know more. What you just told us about him is very concerning but smacks of childish behaviour.