Favorite QB in the draft?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I said in another thread that I haven't watched much QB tape, but from what little I've seen that I liked Nassib. I also said he was getting overhyped. Well, after watching my first tape of him here, I take it back. I really like this kid and he probably deserves all the hype he's getting.

I know one tape isn't enough to really evaluate a player, but my first thoughts were that he shows some really good first round-worthy tools. He's obviously been well coached, as his mechanics are very sound, and he has some great size and moves well. It'd take a lot more tape for me to get a solid idea on what kind of player he is, but my gut tells me he can be a franchise quarterback.

In a QB draft class lacking a true front-runner, I'd take this kid over all of them.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd want Nassib...in round 4 or below.

kearly

Reaction score
This QB class is pretty under-rated. I really liked it last year when looking ahead. I liked Tannehill, but there are five QBs in this 2013 draft I'd probably grade higher than him in terms of NFL readiness. Nassib being one (despite having a name that sounds like it's out of Mortal Kombat).

His throwing motion and arm strength reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck (finesse mechanics, below average arm with some intermediate zip, but good release time and accurate passer). He can check through reads. He's NFL ready. If he goes in the 2nd round he'll be far superior in his NFL preparation than past 2nd round QBs like Osweiler, Dalton, or Kaepernick.

Not really sure Nassib would be an obvious fit for Seattle. I don't think Seattle would draft QB early enough to get him, and I don't think Nassib offers enough of a contrast from Flynn. Seattle wants a read option QB, and that's not Nassib.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":369qwf1r said:
This QB class is pretty under-rated. I really liked it last year when looking ahead. I liked Tannehill, but there are five QBs in this 2013 draft I'd probably grade higher than him in terms of NFL readiness. Nassib being one (despite having a name that sounds like it's out of Mortal Kombat).

His throwing motion and arm strength reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck (finesse mechanics, below average arm with some intermediate zip, but good release time and accurate passer). He can check through reads. He's NFL ready. If he goes in the 2nd round he'll be far superior in his NFL preparation than past 2nd round QBs like Osweiler, Dalton, or Kaepernick.

Not really sure Nassib would be an obvious fit for Seattle. I don't think Seattle would draft QB early enough to get him, and I don't think Nassib offers enough of a contrast from Flynn. Seattle wants a read option QB, and that's not Nassib.

I would have thought having a name out of Mortal Kombat would increase his stock :lol:

A couple of thoughts:

Nassib's throwing motion reminds more of a bit of Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck than Hass, but only in pieces. He has that sort of 3/4 drop of the ball towards his waist then coming quickly up with the throw that RW has (which I suspect RW got from playing baseball). Nassib's release, however, is more Andrew Luck in that he stands tall when he throws and has an over-the-top motion with that leaning forward type follow through. At least, that's how I see it.

As to whether he fits this system or not. I tend to agree with you, but even though the front office came out and said they prefer a back-up that plays like RW, I don't feel coaches pass up on good players because they aren't exact matches to their starter. Mike Shanahan drafting Kirk Cousins is a good example of that and the Redskins use the read-option in a much larger way than we do. I know we use a lot of the read-option offense, but much of that plays well into what RW can do. I don't think not having a RW-type mobile QB would significantly hurt this offense. They would just adjust to fit a player skill sets like Nassib's.

Sidenote: Syracuse had Nassib running a bit of the read-option which is surprising. I wonder if there's more mobility to his game than appears.

Lithium

Reaction score
kearly":5zq3nv3o said:
His throwing motion and arm strength reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck (finesse mechanics, below average arm with some intermediate zip, but good release time and accurate passer)

while im no expert, after watching 5 games from Nassib I believe he is very inconsistent with his accuracy, to me thats his biggest flaw.
Other than that I really like him, although everyone in Buffalo is convinced Marrone will take him in either RD1 or 2

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I like Wilson the most and wonder how good he could be.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
Barkley by and far with Smith/Wilson trailing.Barkley had a rough year but I really think that Kiffin was a huge reason behind USC's problems.Those who say he was surrounded by great talent(which he was) was the sole reason behind him being good is slightly ridiculous.When he went down with an injury his backup struggled mightily with those same weapons around him.He is also a far superior talent and qb to the retarded comparisons to Sanchez

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
cubbyhawkfan":2ip7nwrz said:
Barkley by and far with Smith/Wilson trailing.Barkley had a rough year but I really think that Kiffin was a huge reason behind USC's problems.Those who say he was surrounded by great talent(which he was) was the sole reason behind him being good is slightly ridiculous.When he went down with an injury his backup struggled mightily with those same weapons around him.He is also a far superior talent and qb to the retarded comparisons to Sanchez
I think Barkley would be my number 2 favorite, but I haven't really watched enough to have an accurate ranking.

With that said, wasn't barkley's backup a freshman?

kearly

Reaction score
Nassib and Hass both look like they are flyfishing when they throw the ball. Wilson has a strong arm with picture perfect mechanics, and Luck just slings it. I am not Luck's biggest fan, but he throws the prettiest football in the league.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
LOL flyfishing? I haven't heard that before. I wish I knew more about flyfishing now.

It appears we are seeing different things (which is cool), but I'm going to try and explain what I see in these players mechanics anyways, because, well, I enjoy talking about mechanics and it doesn't get brought up much here.

IMO, Nassib and Hass' throwing motion aren't that similar. Nassib, like Luck, is more an over-the-top passer. His arm placement in his throw, if you imagine the face of a clock, is more at the 12 o'clock hand whereas Hass is more a side arm-type thrower, with his arm placement at the 10. Another big difference between Hass and Nassib is their follow-through, and this is where Luck and Nassib, again, compare. Nassib has a front-heavy follow through (just heard that term today. It fits.). When both he and Luck throw, they are standing tall almost leaning forward at their release point, and have a sometimes high, right leg kick follow through because of it. (Peyton Manning also this similar type of follow through). Hass, on he other hand, his follow through is more balanced, even leaning back at times at his release point, and hardly produces a leg kick.

The reason I compared Nassib to Wilson, is purely one aspect of their game which matches at times, and that's Wilson's occasional dip of the ball to around his waist in his windup throw (mostly in routes where he really needs to sling it). I don't remember which game, but there was a commentator who highlighted his throwing motion of a play and it shows it well. It is quick and compact throw, so it's nothing major, but there's added motion to it and it exposes the ball more to pass-rushers. Now, Wilson doesn't always do that. Mostly, his mechanics are picture perfect, but it does come out at times (And in my experience is something common with QBs who have developed these habits through baseball, mostly pitching).

I know I probably sound like an ass trying to explain this, but I have spent a lot of time through football and baseball going over throwing mechanics in more detail than I even wanted at times (thanks coach :| ). Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I never really get the chance to share this and thought it'd be fun to explain how I see it. Cheers.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I still like Barkley. I liked him before last year. I liked him before his junior season. I still like him. He plays for a dummy of a coach, and is a good ball player. The kid works hard, is intelligent, throws a nice ball, and went ball for ball, throw for throw, first down for first down with Andrew Luck and many others when he was healthy. He's tough and has been impressive since high school. He grew like I'd expect from high school through his senior year. Sure the injury deal will hurt him some, but if I had to take 1 QB from this draft and put my team behind him, then Barkley would be the choice for me and it wouldn't even be close.

He reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson in his commitment to the game. This makes him a lot different than a lot of the other USC QB's.

G

I'd love to get Manuel in the 4th if he's still there. This is an ideal landing spot for him... As RW re-defines what franchises look for in a QB, Manuel can observe/learn/develop, and become a valuable trading chip while being a capable backup in this offense.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":92jgsyoy said:
Matthew Barkley.

My mid-round steal though? Tyler Bray.

Good shout on Bray. SUPERB arm-talent. If only he wasn't a complete numb-nuts in the decision making department, he'd be a sure-fire first rounder. I've never seen a more frustratingly brilliant QB. Everything is there for him, but you watch the games and want to climb into the TV and shake him. "What the hell did you see there!!??"

I can only put it down to not working hard enough. Put 50% of Russell Wilson's drive in Tyler Bray and he could be the #1 pick this year. And that's why he's going to go in the middle rounds. But as a cheap backup he has enough talent as a passer to go 3-1 in relief. So unless he's a complete idiot (some people have suggested he could be) then I'd be all over that in the middle rounds.

And Barkley deserves so much more credit than he's getting. Some of the things you see written about Barkley are just silly.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
English, agreed. Barkley is getting so much disdain I have begun to think it's just kind of cool to bag on him right now. I am pretty sure draft day he won't be waiting long, though. Anyone who comes up with reasons he should fall is talking out their ass. I keep remembering a play from last year where he made 4! reads before he throws an end zone strike.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Matt Barkley isn't a leader IMO and that's why SC locker room was a zoo. Russel Wilson would never have a team who has guys fighting in the locker room.

Latest posts