tyrann mathieu

Domseahawks

Reaction score
if Carroll thinks this kid has truly changed and is ready to play ball i think we dont let him drop after the 3rd round, personally if i was happy with his character i would take him 2nd round, he in my opinion, is the top corner in this draft. Pete preaches turnovers and his kid is outstanding at creating them, i think, without the red flags, he doesn't make it out of the top ten. i'd like to hear what you guys think of him..

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'm hoping he drops to the 6th/7th and we swoop in a pick him up, if John and Pete believe all the troubles are behind him then I'm for it.

Talent wise, I don't think he is quite 1-2 round type of player. He was a good player a season ago, if healthy and in shape with some speed then maybe you take a chance but not too early.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
I like the potential of Mathieu but I think he was a pretty overrated prospect his last season at LSU.He was surrounded by a great secondary and I remember some experts saying that Tharold Simon was a better prospect.Very talented kid no doubt but a bit overrated

pehawk

Reaction score
He reminds me of Pacman Jones, but actually less troubled than Pacman coming out (so what, kid smokes weed, who cares?). Pacman had that "it" factor - I seem the same things from the Honeybadger.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":2sixdgkc said:
He reminds me of Pacman Jones, but actually less troubled than Pacman coming out (so what, kid smokes weed, who cares?). Pacman had that "it" factor - I seem the same things from the Honeybadger.

1. He works in a profession with random drug testing.
2. He loves weed.
3. Weed is legal in Washington under state law.
4. The NFL will suspend you for smoking it.

That's why you should care. A fan or coach's personal opinion on marijuana means nothing if the NFL can and will suspend you for it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm so sick of the "he smoked weed who cares" argument. He repeatedly did something against the rules. It's not about him "just" smoking weed. Being a college football means he's not allowed to smoke weed. He didn't care about his team, only himself. Especially when reports say he failed NUMEROUS drug tests. Just a selfish player who I don't want anywhere near a Hawks uniform. What good is a selfish player like this to the Hawks if he can never play because always getting suspended? Like Basis4day, who cares what any of us feel about weed, that's not the point.

Seriously how would you guys feel about Browner if he got suspended again? And then when he was re-instated got suspended again?? "It's just adderall"

BASF

Reaction score
As a huge Russell Wilson fan, and watching him overcome his short comings, it is hard to type this, but Mathieu is going to struggle covering NFL receivers on the outside. He is listed at 5'9", but I suspect he is actually a little shorter. He has a great vertical leap, but in the NFL you are playing against bigger faster receivers and QB's who know how to exploit a smaller CB. He may very well be a great CB to play against slot receivers, but on the outside you may be looking at Kelly Jennings ver2. It is possible that he hadn't maxed out his height his freshman season, but I don't think I would trust him covering big receivers.

pinksheets

Reaction score
BASF":38vd40e4 said:
As a huge Russell Wilson fan, and watching him overcome his short comings, it is hard to type this, but Mathieu is going to struggle covering NFL receivers on the outside. He is listed at 5'9", but I suspect he is actually a little shorter. He has a great vertical leap, but in the NFL you are playing against bigger faster receivers and QB's who know how to exploit a smaller CB. He may very well be a great CB to play against slot receivers, but on the outside you may be looking at Kelly Jennings ver2. It is possible that he hadn't maxed out his height his freshman season, but I don't think I would trust him covering big receivers.
I agree, which is why I'd love him as a value pick later and make him play FS.

JKent82

Reaction score
BASF":ji4u5gij said:

Kelly Jennings wasn't short. He was bad at football. He was 5' 11".

Short corners can play in the NFL. But they have to be feisty as hell, have some long arms, be willing to tackle, and play the ball in the air like a freak.

Brent Grimes was 5' 9" coming out, 177. Brandon Flowers was 5' 9" too. Tim Jennings 5' 8". All can play outside. Grimes and Jennings have recent Pro Bowls.

Not like you want a short corner playing across from Calvin Johnson all the time, but short corners can thrive in the NFL. Not common but not the least bit unheard of.

I think the bigger question is if he has the ball skills to play outside, which is what you were really referring to when you mentioned Kelly Jennings. He's a very physical tackler from what I've seen/read and has plenty of attitude. If he can run with guys he'll probably make it in the NFL. This is of course ignoring any of the other "issues" he has. Gotta show he's willing to mature.

Not to mention he'd be interesting prospect at free safety. Back up to Earl/nickel corner anybody?

Plus I just feel like he'd add just that little extra in-your-face-ittude to our already trash talking secondary.

Mid to late round pick I wouldn't mind. Like 4th on. Maybe earlier if he tests well at the combine and seems to have things together.

skater18000

Reaction score
There is a feeling inside me, that says he is going to dominate the combine...

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JKent82":36bjveyv said:
Short corners can play in the NFL.

Who cares? That's not the question. The real question is, can they play in this system? Don't think so...

JKent82

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":9weo9n2u said:
JKent82":9weo9n2u said:
Short corners can play in the NFL.

Who cares? That's not the question. The real question is, can they play in this system? Don't think so...

Mathieu certainly wouldn't be a perfect fit outside in press. But it's not as if we don't carry 10-11 DB's. If a guy has unique talents Pete will at least look. Personally I think Mathieu is a little unique with his tackling/blitzing/stripping ability for a corner.

Obviously with a higher pick you wouldn't want to take a corner who wouldn't project to replace Browner. But I doubt that's the intent with which Mathieu would be drafted and he will be far from a high pick.

He could bring special teams ability, Jeremy Lane and him on either side as gunners sounds pretty good. He could play nickel corner, likely safety as a potential back up to Earl. He's a capable tackler/blitzer to use around the line of scrimmage. I just think he could bring a pretty interesting element to the defense.

Obviously this is a pretty optimistic view. Gotta see how the draft process goes for him. He's been out of football for a year. He's got his weed problem. He's gotta prove he's athletic enough. Just my thoughts anyways.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Emory Hunt has him going in the 1st to the Ravens in his projections....I doubt he'll be a late round guy. I think he'll most likely be a 2nd day guy.

pehawk

Reaction score
Pinksheets for the win. He'd upgrade the FS and slot DB positions.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2ikzh7ux said:
I'm so sick of the "he smoked weed who cares" argument. He repeatedly did something against the rules. It's not about him "just" smoking weed. Being a college football means he's not allowed to smoke weed. He didn't care about his team, only himself. Especially when reports say he failed NUMEROUS drug tests. Just a selfish player who I don't want anywhere near a Hawks uniform. What good is a selfish player like this to the Hawks if he can never play because always getting suspended? Like Basis4day, who cares what any of us feel about weed, that's not the point.

Seriously how would you guys feel about Browner if he got suspended again? And then when he was re-instated got suspended again?? "It's just adderall"

Professional Career =/= College

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":35jzs1b3 said:

Right, getting a bunch of money and more free time will turn him into an upstanding citizen :sarcasm_off:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":36v9ym04 said:
T-Sizzle":36v9ym04 said:

Right, getting a bunch of money and more free time will turn him into an upstanding citizen :sarcasm_off:

You are right, all those other college kids with issues that have been drafted by teams always resort back to their college issues. NFL teams do not have the time or money to hire people to watch out for these guys. Nobody has ever gone to the nfl with a questionable record and played at all. :sarcasm_off:

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I feel like this kid has the potential to be a pretty good starting DB, but needs to prove his commitment to the game.

Not only does he have to demonstrate his value to the owner and coaches, he needs to prove his worth to the 12s.

All that said, if Seattle can get him for a premium...I'd roll the dice. Pete is great at fixing players personal faults, and if dudes still want to question authority...well they know where the door is!

Latest posts