Any chance jackson comes back as a backup

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Erebus wrote:I'd rather have Tebow.

^^ This. Absolutely seriously. Skip TJack. I think Tebow would be a very good fit in Seattle as #2. He can do all the read option stuff that Russell can. We know that he can lead 4th-quarter drives to win games. Maybe he could learn to suck less the first 3 quarters. I think Bevell could find some good ways to use him.
    I bet all Tebow would really need is to know he would be the #2 guy and play if #1 is unavailable. He got jobbed in NY over the Greg McElroy thing. Not to mention his contributions on special teams and possibly a few snaps a game at H-back, and one more player on the field who can throw the ball deep off a fake pass. (Rice, Tate, and I think Lynch had TD passes this year; did MRob, the college QB have any TD passes?) Anyway, we're a little weak on our deep passing threat from the TE position, and I can't wait to see a 4th and 1 with Tebow at TE and running the fake end-around with Tebow, only to have him pull up and throw 70 yards across field and 50 yards downfield to a streaking Russell Wilson for a TD. (There was a play like that for Wilson in college, check out his Wisconsin highlights)

Honestly, this really does make a lot of sense (except for the last line about the 80 yard TD pass to Wilson... c'mon mang...). Tebow is a great athleate, a good football player and a helluva competitor... but I reeeally can't get behind bringing the whole Tim Tebow circus to our town.

Yes I think we have a strong enough team to withstand a lot of the craziness and yes I think the roles on our team are defined clearly enough that the Tebow zelots wouldn't get their hopes up, but still... anything related to Tim Tebow just seems to turn into a gong show.

Pass.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Erebus wrote:I'd rather have Tebow.

Id like to have some trick plays with Tebow, this!
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:You know what's funny. I could see Jackson running the read option and being waaaaay more effective than he was last year. Way more effective.

In running the read option you have to take a snapshot of what the outside defender is doing and make a decision to keep the ball or give it to the running back. That process requires the ability to analyze the situation in an instant. That decision making process was Jackson's downfall here. He is very slow to read and understand to where the ball needs to go.

We need to be done with Jackson and move on. Hey I have an idea! Why don't we get a young prospect that shows talent and let them grow as our backup. A player that is from a not so favorite school, one that feels lucky to just be in the NFL. Bringing in a player like Jackson is just a band-aid for the guy that is next in line for the most important position on the team.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• v1rotv2 wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:You know what's funny. I could see Jackson running the read option and being waaaaay more effective than he was last year. Way more effective.

In running the read option you have to take a snapshot of what the outside defender is doing and make a decision to keep the ball or give it to the running back. That process requires the ability to analyze the situation in an instant. That decision making process was Jackson's downfall here. He is very slow to read and understand to where the ball needs to go.

We need to be done with Jackson and move on. Hey I have an idea! Why don't we get a young prospect that shows talent and let them grow as our backup. A player that is from a not so favorite school, one that feels lucky to just be in the NFL. Bringing in a player like Jackson is just a band-aid for the guy that is next in line for the most important position on the team.

Not that I'm trying to suck up to Throwdown, but I think Josh Portis might actually have a really good skillset to be Russell's understudy. At this point in his career, he either "gets it" and sticks in the NFL as a 2nd stringer, or packs it up and heads for the CFL.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• jacksonfan wrote:I think his bills contract is over

Tjack would be a good backup for seattle

Yes i watched wilson all year, and he is great player

I think flynn is done and is expensive will be cut by march

You mean that Flynn (who was paid way more money than Jackson) will be cut?, just like Jackson was? :roll:
    Not going to happen.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:You know what's funny. I could see Jackson running the read option and being waaaaay more effective than he was last year. Way more effective.

No way, shape, or form can Jackson operate in a mimic Russell Wilson fashon and run the read option, because his inability to READING Defensive sets at NFL speed was why he's no longer here.
    Flynn can probably do a better job of reading D-sets, but doesn't have the mobility to get out of trouble, BUT I believe that he could probably throw a change-up at the Defenses they wouldn't be prepared for,,BECAUSE,, some of Y'all have already pointed out,,the Defenses wouldn't have a lot of game tape on him, and sometimes that can be an added advantage.
    Flynn isn't as dynamic as Russell Wilson, but who the hell is, but he can be the change-up curve ball that gets thrown at the batter.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:If we bring back TJ! we have to let him challenge PB3! for the starting job, no?

By Jove!, I think you're right when you said........NO :16:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• WestcoastSteve wrote:I would rather have Seneca Wallace though.

Why Seneca Wallace?,,,Beause you could count on him shaving about 4 to 6 seconds off the decission making while under pressure, and that is enough to cancel out the idea of bringing Jackson back.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jackson never complained, played through a torn pec, knows Bevell, could step in and play. I'd love to get something for Flynn (anything get the contract off the books) and pick up Jackson.
    the ditch
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• the ditch wrote:Jackson never complained, played through a torn pec, knows Bevell, could step in and play. I'd love to get something for Flynn (anything get the contract off the books) and pick up Jackson.

I'm with ya!

Jackson would be the perfect backup for this team. Cheap, his teammates love him here, and he can run our new style of offense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• CANHawk wrote:
    Honestly, this really does make a lot of sense (except for the last line about the 80 yard TD pass to Wilson... c'mon mang...). Tebow is a great athleate, a good football player and a helluva competitor... but I reeeally can't get behind bringing the whole Tim Tebow circus to our town.

Yes I think we have a strong enough team to withstand a lot of the craziness and yes I think the roles on our team are defined clearly enough that the Tebow zelots wouldn't get their hopes up, but still... anything related to Tim Tebow just seems to turn into a gong show.

Pass.

Too much of the left side of the teeter totter and not enough of the right if Tebow was on this team (between him and Wilson).

:3-1:

I would also pass.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Plus Tebow suuuuuuucks.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• CaptainSkybeard wrote:He's probably the 40-50th best QB in the nfl, making him just fine as a backup.

Flynn is definitely better than #32 and deserves to go start somewhere. Call me an altruist, or maybe I'm a bigger player fan than team fan sometimes, but I want to see Flynn succeed.

Just not on the Cardinals. Yes, that can still happen...

You think so?
    I would rather have Jackson over any of the starters (or backups) of the following teams:

Kansas City
    Jacksonville
    Arizona
    New York (Jets obviously)
    Minnesota
    Buffalo (why they kept him benched for Pickspatrick is beyond me)
    Cleveland

and arguably Tennessee and Oakland.

And as far as backups go, the only backups I think are a better choice than Jackson are Flynn, Cousins and Jason Campbell. Maybe there's one or two others out there that are an improvement (such as Vick/Foles, depending on who your starter is), but we haven't seen them in play yet. Either way Jackson to me makes the top 30 QBs in the league (barely)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Jackson is a horrible QB end of story, who cares if he played hurt what NFL player doesn't? Stop the madness. We need a veteran to back up RW and all will be good. I would not mind if Matt came back as the backup as I think he would help RW mature as a QB.
    TorontoHawk
    NET Veteran

• TorontoHawk wrote:Jackson is a horrible QB end of story, who cares if he played hurt what NFL player doesn't? Stop the madness. We need a veteran to back up RW and all will be good. I would not mind if Matt came back as the backup as I think he would help RW mature as a QB.

You want your backup QB to be able to go .500 if your starter is out. No problem with Tjack coming in as a backup. Dude has a strong arm and enough mobility to play our offense if Wilson is hurt.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:
    TorontoHawk wrote:Jackson is a horrible QB end of story, who cares if he played hurt what NFL player doesn't? Stop the madness. We need a veteran to back up RW and all will be good. I would not mind if Matt came back as the backup as I think he would help RW mature as a QB.

You want your backup QB to be able to go .500 if your starter is out. No problem with Tjack coming in as a backup. Dude has a strong arm and enough mobility to play our offense if Wilson is hurt.

I want a backup who can help the starter, what can Jackson do show him how to zone in on one WR? He could not even make the 2nd string for the Bills I think that should tell you something there. Plenty of options that make sense for a backup but Jackson is not one, as he showed he is not a winner and can't be a starter. I think bringing him here is the only mistake PC and JS have really made.
    TorontoHawk
    NET Veteran

• I honestly think we cut Flynn and make a play for TJ! and if we fail to land him we'll probably just roll with no back up. Mike Rob can play in a pinch if PB3 gets tired or bored.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I want to be like Green Bay, drafting QBs and letting them sit behind elite starting QBs (Rodgers and then Flynn). Then when the time is right hopefully we can trade him for a high round pick. Like Green Bay tried to do with Flynn before he went to free agency.

No more retreads please
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• under 60% completion rate while almost exclusively throwing underneath, NOT MOBILE, cant read defenses, holds the ball forever and averages less than a TD per game? Yeah that's REAL solid.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Erebus wrote:I'd rather have Tebow.

Id like to have some trick plays with Tebow, this!

I support Tebow.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan after Super Bowl XLVIII
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

• If Jackson were anywheren near as good as some here believe, he wouldn't have been the #3 in Buffalo and he wouldn't be a FA this off season. Why would you believe Jackson is top 30 QB in the league but the Bills are just going to release him?

Our system is what made Jackson look servicable. Great running game and a defense that didn't force us into throwing situations. Add in the schedule he played the year he was here where we seen a ton of back up QB's the second half of the season and Pete and John were able to rangle a draft pick for a guy who's lack of talent was clearly masked by the surrounding environment and weak opponents.

Some of those back ups that you think he is better than haven't had that luxury and instead were forced to compete in a worse environment just like Jackson had to do this year where he ended up not active for a single game and couldn't beat our Fitzpatrick for the #2 spot when you know the Bills wanted him to. Why else would they spend a draft pick and then not give him a chance?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• If you want Tebow over TJack, imma have to ask you to return to the kitchen.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Seems like an easy choice to me. Tebow actually leads his teams to comeback wins vs TJax!!! who can't lead a comeback to save his life. :snack:

Plus Tebow and RW3 can talk about God together or something after pratice.
    Last edited by edogg23 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

• edogg23 wrote:Seems like an easy choice to me. Tebow actually leads his teams to comeback wins vs TJax!!! who can't lead a comeback to save his life. :snack:

How's it gonna work out if Wilson gets hurt and the other team knows all we can do is run the ball to not embarrass ourselves because Tebow can't throw? The teams FINISHED at that point.

Flynn or TJack for me, if the only other option is Tebow.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    edogg23 wrote:Seems like an easy choice to me. Tebow actually leads his teams to comeback wins vs TJax!!! who can't lead a comeback to save his life. :snack:

How's it gonna work out if Wilson gets hurt and the other team knows all we can do is run the ball to not embarrass ourselves because Tebow can't throw? The teams FINISHED at that point.

Flynn or TJack for me, if the only other option is Tebow.

I'll take Flynn all day obviously as a backup... but yeah I'm half kidding I would be scared to bring Tebow in.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

• Only way I'd want Tebow is if we were bringing him in to learn from Michael Robinson as to how to transition from college qb to pro fb. I actually think Tebow could be an All-Pro fb if he focused on it.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• Tebow would bring a media circus, and a weekly story on ESPN if we use him enough, no thanks.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• How did Jackson get a fan? I swear some people are emotionally retarded just looking for any controversy.

Heres the deal......uhh Jackson is not comming anymore than Jennings is as an incompetant nickle back.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Jackson is a 50% win/lose Qb.

Would rather trade Flynn and draft a low round overlooked Qb with that pick and take a chance.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Uffda wrote:Jackson is a 50% win/lose Qb.

Would rather trade Flynn and draft a low round overlooked Qb with that pick and take a chance.

How many back ups are capable of winning 50%?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I wouldn't want him as the #2 unless the off-season improvements that we are hoping for on D become reality. Presently the D is not stout enough to consistently win with a 'game manager.' Jackson will never be more than that. I see this team on the ultimate mission next year. For that reason, I hope they hang onto Flynn somehow.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• I doubt he would want to come back as a backup. He felt he could trust the coaching staff but was shown the door. He would have to be out of options to want to come back here is my thinking. Seattle will need to find a solid backup in the draft if they decide to move on from Flynn.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Good God, I'm glad Tjack feels butthurt by the coaches here. He wasn't given a fair shot in Minny, he wasn't given a fair shot here, gee whiz I see a pattern developing, guy is a suck master and coaches cannot wait to push him aside as soon as anything with a heartbeat becomes available (unless the heartbeat belongs to Whitehurst who competes valiantly in the suck a thon).

LMAO at Tjack having mobility. Physically it *seems* like he should have mobility, but his negative pocket presence meant that most of the time he moved, he moved himself right into a sack. His mobility actually becomes negative for him. We've seen with Russell, a large part of what makes mobility dangerous is a sense of when to take off, when to spin around and elude a sack, but of course that requires good decision making and we're back to Tjack's area of negative competence.

I can't stand what his supporters do to the board as well, and that's the final nail in the coffin for me.

I think that the way Pete and JS find hidden gems, they can do better than TJ for a backup if we end up dealing Flynn.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Uffda wrote:Jackson is a 50% win/lose Qb.

How many back ups are capable of winning 50%?

Cousins ? Kaepernick ?
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Jackson is not a 500 QB in any other environment than one that can win inspite of him and that requires a very soft schedule to boot. Those that believe he is a 500 QB should go back and see the games we won when he was the starter and stop giving him credit for the Giants game that Whitehurst came in trailing and gave us our only come from behind win that year.

The Seahawks went 7-9 with him as the starter but one win and one loss goes to Charlie leaving Jackson at 6-8 and not 500. Would Jackson have won that Cleveland game? I doubt it. Lynch was (mysteriousy) pulled for that game ad Mike Carrey was officiating it. There were multiple drive killing calls in that game and a fantom block in theback that took away Washingtons return for TD. Jackson never showed any reasn to believe h was any better than Whiteurst orany reason to think he could hve done a better job against Cleveland without Lynch. He had one of the worst third down conversion rates in the league and benefitted heavily from field position compliments of our defense and many back up QB's we faced that year. If he were starting for us this year with the schedule we had, we would have been lucky to win 5 games and none of those would have been because of his performance but rather inspite of it.

If Jackson were anywhere near what some here want to believe, he wouldn't be a FA this offseason but he is not and that is why he couldn't get activated for a single game last year and why the Bills will surely let him walk in FA.

I'd take Seneca Wallace over Jackson in a heart beat. Plenty of Veteren experience and has the mobility and pocket presence to run our offense. He's not the best QB but for a back up he might be perfect for us. He's also a good team mate that won't distract the lockr room and is fine with bing a backup. He is someone we could feasably bring in and keep him in that role for near league minimum for many years.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:You want your backup QB to be able to go .500 if your starter is out. No problem with Tjack coming in as a backup. Dude has a strong arm and enough mobility to play our offense if Wilson is hurt.

If it were NOT a problem for Jackson to be able to run the Wilson Offense, then WHY would Schneider go and get Flynn?, and WHY couldn't Jackson beat out FLYNN, and WHY even go after Wilson IF Jackson could run the Offense?
    Hell of a nice guy, but, If running the Wilson system is the question?, Jackson isn't now nor ever has been, the answer.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:Good God, I'm glad Tjack feels butthurt by the coaches here. He wasn't given a fair shot in Minny, he wasn't given a fair shot here, gee whiz I see a pattern developing, guy is a suck master and coaches cannot wait to push him aside as soon as anything with a heartbeat becomes available (unless the heartbeat belongs to Whitehurst who competes valiantly in the suck a thon).

LMAO at Tjack having mobility. Physically it *seems* like he should have mobility, but his negative pocket presence meant that most of the time he moved, he moved himself right into a sack. His mobility actually becomes negative for him. We've seen with Russell, a large part of what makes mobility dangerous is a sense of when to take off, when to spin around and elude a sack, but of course that requires good decision making and we're back to Tjack's area of negative competence.

I can't stand what his supporters do to the board as well, and that's the final nail in the coffin for me.

I think that the way Pete and JS find hidden gems, they can do better than TJ for a backup if we end up dealing Flynn.

THIS times 2.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:You want your backup QB to be able to go .500 if your starter is out. No problem with Tjack coming in as a backup. Dude has a strong arm and enough mobility to play our offense if Wilson is hurt.

If it were NOT a problem for Jackson to be able to run the Wilson Offense, then WHY would Schneider go and get Flynn?, and WHY couldn't Jackson beat out FLYNN, and WHY even go after Wilson IF Jackson could run the Offense?
    Hell of a nice guy, but, If running the Wilson system is the question?, Jackson isn't now nor ever has been, the answer.

Recall that we did not yet have Wilson when we got Flynn. Recall that Wilson had not even started a regular season game when we traded TJack. Last March when we got Flynn, i think most Seahawks were fine with Flynn at starter and TJack as a backup.

What i call the Wilson offense now is not what we were running or knew we would be capable off when Wilson was starting out. This is not about TJack running the offense better or even as good as Wilson. That's why he would be the back-up. No one is saying he's the answer for our offense. What i am saying is he's a great option as a back-up QB in our offense.

Knowing what we know now about Wilson, i am absolutely comfortable with TJack as a backup to Wilson because i do think we can get some value in dealing Flynn if we choose too.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information