Mel Kiper re-grades 2012 draft

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
The headline on ESPN.com's NFL page reads "Mel Kiper re-grades the 2012 draft and admits he was wrong about Seattle", but it's an Insider column. Can anyone sum up his comments? Was "I'm an ignorant tool" one of them?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Can't stand that hot airbag, but good on him for manning up.

He changed his original post-draft grade (C-) to an A. Gives credit to Schneider and Carroll. Kind of gets wish washy by saying "let's be clear: I think the Seahawks drafted guys they really wanted, and with a plan in mind for how to use them." No kidding Mel, you mean front offices don't just follow who you think they should draft? You don't say!

He's all over Wilson's jock, of course. Tried to explain his hesitation with the pick of Wilson by saying we already had Flynn, which doesn't mean jack sh*t since you should be assessing the draft picks exclusively and not where they fit on a roster. Says if Wilson was 6'2", he would have been a top-5 pick.

Waffles on why he doubted Wagner ... still questions Irvin (which is fair). Doesn't believe he will be an every down DE, but of course that's not why we drafted him.

Calls the draft (now) "exceptional" and a "defining one for the franchise based on Wilson alone."

OP
OP
Beer Hawk

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2gi6kr48 said:
"let's be clear: I think the Seahawks drafted guys they really wanted, and with a plan in mind for how to use them."

LOL - We really should look into using Kiper's Big Board instead. Will save us money and time doing, you know.. research.......

washmont

Reaction score
Post-draft grade: C-
Summary: Give John Schneider and Pete Carroll all the credit in the world. I had major questions on value and even need with some of their picks, and in most cases, the Seahawks proved me wrong. At the time I wrote, "Let's be clear: I think the Seahawks drafted guys they really wanted, and with a plan in mind for how to use them." Did they ever. Russell Wilson might be the defining pick of the draft, already a star and a guy Seattle got at No. 75 overall. I really liked Wilson as a prospect, and said on the set I thought he'd be "a great test case" for short quarterbacks. My question of the pick also had to do with the fact that Seattle had acquired Matt Flynn. If Wilson had been 6-foot-2, I think he would have been a top-5 pick -- said it then, say it now. Is that evaluation still reasonable? Has Wilson proven that short QBs can't all be lumped together? Ultimately, evaluators will still have questions about whether short QBs can succeed because they simply have so few of them to evaluate. The sample size for guys at Wilson's size who've succeeded as he has is so small that not only is Wilson almost unique, I don't see a QB like him coming along for years. But there's no way around the fact that he was a great pick, perhaps the best of the draft when you consider where he was taken.

I also had questions about the value of Bobby Wagner at No. 47 overall, but he was a home run, an impact starter and a guy who will be a fixture for years to come. Robert Turbin, Jeremy Lane and Greg Scruggs also look like great picks. The one pick I really questioned then and still feel the same way about is Bruce Irvin at No. 15 overall. There's no question Irvin can rush the passer, but that's really all he can do, and I still don't see him as a good value at that spot because he's so one-dimensional. I wrote then, "I wouldn't be surprised if Irvin gets 10 sacks in 2012, but that's really his game. He's not a three-down player yet." He still isn't, and is a total liability against the run, as we saw against Atlanta in the playoffs. He finished with 8.0 sacks, but has plenty of development left if he wants to become more than a situational player. I think you want more of a complete player at that point in the draft. Still, this was an exceptional draft, a very good one in terms of immediate value and likely a defining one for the franchise based on Wilson alone.

New grade: A

Hawknballs

Reaction score
mel kiper is obviously just quentin tarantino with glasses on trolling everybody.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Beer Hawk":3r5pffc6 said:
FlyingGreg":3r5pffc6 said:
"let's be clear: I think the Seahawks drafted guys they really wanted, and with a plan in mind for how to use them."

LOL - We really should look into using Kiper's Big Board instead. Will save us money and time doing, you know.. research.......

In fairness, he is used to the Jets drafting guys for their story lines and crowd appeal, with piss all in mind for how to use them.

hawkpride

Reaction score
It will be great to see if Gruden, or how many times Chucky, reminds Kiper of what he said on nation tv last year.
Here's to Gruden rippin Kipper a new one at this years draft.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
hawkpride":2cieglco said:
It will be great to see if Gruden, or how many times Chucky, reminds Kiper of what he said on nation tv last year.

Good call, that could provide for some really good comedy.

I almost think Chucky too it personally when guys ripped on Wilson's draft stock for his height.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Were there any teams that people initially thought had an amazing draft, only to realize they blew it?

Jac

Reaction score
Mel Kiper takes far too much heat for what he said on draft day. Bill Polian's comments about Wilson were much worse (particularly with Gruden turning to him for a bit of support).

Cartire

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1vx56tb9 said:
Were there any teams that people initially thought had an amazing draft, only to realize they blew it?

he graded SF as a C+ initially. Gave them an incomplete this time.

The Niners didn't see early impact, but given where the team is, we can't say this won't be an impactful draft. Consider it an "incomplete" with the highest compliments.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Much like Daytomann's post in the Shack, I give him absolutely zero credit for admitting the obvious.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":kdf0f467 said:
Without looking at it, I can say it probably was, but only as part of the sentence. The whole sentence would read: "You're going to have to fork over some cold, hard cash if you're going to find out whether I say I'm an ignorant tool."

Awesome (for lack of better cliches) post! Why the hell people want to listen, watch or read what he says is beyond me. I
get it. He was in the right place at the right time and I'll give him that. By right place at the right time, I mean he was doing the whole mock draft player evaluations before it became what it is today and I have to give him credit for it. But cmon mang!! Anymore you can go anywhere and get this type of information without the big haired ego.He whiffs more often than he hits.

I like English's assestments as well as any (disagree a little on #15 though).

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
After having watched the youtube video draft-day exchange between Kiper and Gruden just a couple of weeks ago, I'm totally okay with Kiper's comments from his re-grading of the Hawks draft.

They seem accurate and fair to me.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
There was a guy on twitter really going after the Seahawks draft back when it happened. Saying they were the worst drafting team in the NFL.

Recently I wanted to rub his face in his ignorance. But he blocked me. :lol:

So good for Kiper for eating a little crow and acknowledging his mistakes.

sc85sis

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":5l7q9ejf said:
hawkpride":5l7q9ejf said:

Good call, that could provide for some really good comedy.

I almost think Chucky too it personally when guys ripped on Wilson's draft stock for his height.
I'd say it was extremely personal for Gruden. He accused Kiper of discriminating against shorter guys, "guys like me," as he said.