Revis Available? Flynn bait?

chris98251

Reaction score
joeshaney":26zdlz7n said:
Because revis would be more impactful than the 31 year old Ratliff whose production is on the decline. The dwi isn't the breaker, but it doesn't help.

Not that I wouldn't trade Flynn for Ratliff, but revis is a better deal and we would still have enough to land the top St in free agency. I'd much prefer Melton over Ratliff. Add revis and a solid draft and wow.

Were looking at trades we have DB's if we can get Ratliff at Salary: 4.875 million USD (2012)

or so we already have the best secondary, we draft kids and have a good DT that can pressure inside while they get NFL ready. Revis is a one year deal.

Ratliff’s sack totals the last five seasons: 7.5, 6.0, 3.5, 2.0, 0.

Ratliff’s salaries due the next five seasons: $5 million, $5.5 million, $7 million, $7.5 million and $10 million.

He's improved every year and while a long term deal is in place we may be able to re negotiate that and get shorter contract or something also.

joeshaney

Reaction score
5 and a half sacks in 3 years vs revis is no contest.
Revis by a landslide. His contract is more cap friendly too.

CFraychineaud

Reaction score
Why not get DRC who is a FA and will be had for a LOT less after being misused in philly for 2 years. He's 6'2", had decent ball skills and is a MUCH better fit for a press man system that we run compared to the zone heavy scheme philly had been running. He is also what, 26 years old.

Fits Scheme
Has Height
Cheap
Young

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Revis at 6 million? Guaranteed holdout. How many times has Revis threatened/actually held out of camp? Whoever gets him is going to break the bank on a contract extension, and if you think that is us with all the deals looming for 2014 you are nuts.

Otherwise, great idea.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sherman and Revis? You'll never throw on us!

All my fears of Browner getting torched would go out the window too, its a win/win!

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Wow. I saw a blip that they were considering trading Revis. My immediate instinct was to trade for Flynn, and I scoot over here to post only to find three pages of discussion of the exact same idea.

You guys are just on top of shit aren't you.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
One reason I haven't seen in all this discussion IN FAVOR of making a trade would be to keep teams like the 49ers from getting Revis. That wouldn't be a primary reason, but still the ghastly thought of it.

John Schneider would not hang the team out to dry to get a Flynn for Revis trade done. No matter how any trade for Revis goes down... the Jets are not in the best position with him, either to risk losing him for nothing the following year. He cannot be franchised. It's going to be tough for the Jets to trade him coming off an injury no matter who the suitor might be. Per Schefter... the Jets would get a 3rd round comp pick if Revis walks after next season. Probably smart of them (Idzik) to see what they might fetch. But, I don't think their going to be able to demand as much as being reported. It's like none of the factors ($, injuries) are being considered realistically and they start talking about a young, never injured Darrelle Revis. There will be teams that would pull the trigger, even for a year. In talking about Flynn... it's a glass if half empty to minimize the potential for that trade. For the Jets to get their potential starting QB for years to come. Calling him a "journeyman" is a bit of a stretch. Just two teams - and there's a very specific story there. Flynn isn't just a "journeyman". He's a good QB that was traded to a team to be the guy... until. Forget all that Kolb comparison garbage, too. Flynn is a gamer. He just never had the chance to show that on the Field in Seattle (thank God). Seattle would not give up "multiple picks". They would be taking just as much a chance as the Jets. I'm not trying to "overvalue" Flynn here... but, as good as Mr. Island is when healthy (and young with years ahead. He's not exactly "old" - 6th/7th year, but when injuries factor in- well, there you go)... what about over-valuing a guy who has mileage no matter how great he has been?

joeshaney

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3tc8hjsi said:
Revis at 6 million? Guaranteed holdout. How many times has Revis threatened/actually held out of camp? Whoever gets him is going to break the bank on a contract extension, and if you think that is us with all the deals looming for 2014 you are nuts.

Otherwise, great idea.

Disagree. Due to having sat out last year he's not in the best position to hold out. I mean, theoretically I could understand why he might want to, but would anyone be threatened he would miss any games? For him to ride the pine for two straight years as he ages through the short life of an NFL career with questions remaining about his ability to return from injury the same player he was before. It might be career suicide or at least ruin his chances at his big pay day next year.

Zowert

Reaction score
One of the best (arguably the best when healthy) cornerbacks in the NFL for a 28-year old QB with two career starts. LOL! We are going to have to chip in a draft pick. A second round pick at least.

If this move did happen though, it would be damn near impossible to pass on the Seahawks with Sherman/Revis (the two best CB's in the league) and one of the best Free Safeties (Earl Thomas). Oh and we'd also have one of the hardest hitting strong safeties (Kam) who could potentially play LB in some packages too. Then there is Brandon Browner, who is talented in his own right.

The Seahawks would have the best secondary in the NFL. Hands down. Potentially the best secondary the NFL has seen in decades.. Then we're looking at Bobby Wagner improving from an already spectacular rookie season. KJ Wright, who is a stud and then Leroy Hill/Malcolm Smith. One who's aging but can hold his own and the other who seems to be an underrated or up-and-coming linebacker. However you'd like to look at it.

The only thing we'd have to concentrate on is the defensive line. Move Red Bryant to the middle, and rotate him in with the DT's (he's just too slow for a DE). Bryant could take some of the workload off Mebane and Branch, if we can't find a high talent balanced DT who can pass rush and stop the run. Then the only position in question is DE. Hoping that Clemons comes back healthy next season, if not, we would be in need of two Defensive Ends. Unless a miracle happens over the off-season and Irvin puts on 20 pounds of pure muscle.

Damn. I'm thinking we need more than I originally thought because there is still the offensive line that needs a little work. Well, the only set linemen are Unger and Okung, well Breno is pretty solid. So teem needs look like this:

Defensive End (x2)
Offensive Guard (x2)
Wide Receiver

Others we could improve on: Tight-End, Defensive Tackle and depth in the trenches (both sides of the ball).

scipiobronze

Reaction score
How about Flynn + Browner for Revis if Flynn is not enough? I would argue that we have actually have a glut right now at the CB position if Thurmond gets healthy and we could spare a CB like Thurmond, Browner, or Lane.

Browner's weakness in deep coverage is tying Earl Thomas down right now. Revis would be a valuable upgrade to Browner imo b/c it would free up ET to roam the field and blitz more.

If this seems like too much for the Seahawks to give for just a one-year rental of Revis, maybe ask the Jets to throw in a promising DT/DE, which the Jets seem to be good at drafting and developing, e.g. Mo Wilkerson, Quin Coples.

hawker84

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3iqm4z1p said:
for that reason.. I would put Revis on the outside with Sherman..
Switch Browner to SS Bench Kam(who I love dearly, but his coverage is suspect I think)

for nickle.. Revis to slot, Browner to outside, Kam to Weakside LB, Guy to SS

how about, revis and sherman outside coverage, move kam to hill's spot, browner to SS, bring in thurmond maxwell for nickle .... now you're cooking with gasoline.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
joeshaney":5qq2dzqu said:
Scottemojo":5qq2dzqu said:

Otherwise, great idea.

Disagree. Due to having sat out last year he's not in the best position to hold out. I mean, theoretically I could understand why he might want to, but would anyone be threatened he would miss any games? For him to ride the pine for two straight years as he ages through the short life of an NFL career with questions remaining about his ability to return from injury the same player he was before. It might be career suicide or at least ruin his chances at his big pay day next year.
I gotta agree with joeshaney on this (and pretty much, if not all said in this thread). Not saying I think this trade will absolutely happen, but I could see JS being able to work with Idzik on this. I think Revis might be getting more interested in getting a championship at this point, too - especially with recovering from injury and the thought of something like that ending his career earlier than hoped. How would he not want to join an already great Defense and elite group of DB's on a team that will be in serious contention for a Super Bowl Championship? We're in a great position. We don't have to make this trade. The Jets fans or media might want to talk about what they would be losing... forgetting what they would be gaining.

ceej22

Reaction score
chris98251":2vd6i2jv said:
For arguements sake, if the choice was Revis or a top 3 tech DT which way do you go?

Jay Ratliff, Dallas Cowboys

They also need a back up for Romo.

Didn't he just get charged with a DUI? Also, I doubt JS would trade Flynn to be a backup on another team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
joeshaney":14vn5sg0 said:
Scottemojo":14vn5sg0 said:

Otherwise, great idea.

I am talking about next year. Revis wants top 5 money. Not top 5 cornerback, top 5 in the league. Like Drew Brees money. He has a no holdout clause in his last deal, but there is also a no franchise player clause in that deal. Trade for him, you better have a long term deal worked out already, because if you don't, you just signed him for one year only.

I think there is zero chance these guys want to give Revis 15 mil or more per year to play cornerback. That is about what he is going to demand.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Scottemojo":evpgist5 said:
joeshaney":evpgist5 said:
Scottemojo":evpgist5 said:

Otherwise, great idea.

I am talking about next year. Revis wants top 5 money. Not top 5 cornerback, top 5 in the league. Like Drew Brees money. He has a no holdout clause in his last deal, but there is also a no franchise player clause in that deal. Trade for him, you better have a long term deal worked out already, because if you don't, you just signed him for one year only.

I think there is zero chance these guys want to give Revis 15 mil or more per year to play cornerback. That is about what he is going to demand.

If his play warrants 15 million a year in free agency next year, what does that say about our Superbowl odds?
If he bolts on a 15 million dollar contract after next year, the compensatory pick we would get would likely justify the Flynn trade anyway.

Latest posts