The "what I expect to happen" mock draft v2.0

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":2r2yxscw said:
One thing kearly, Ziggy's not getting past the Giants, IMO. No way, no how.

Edit: For 3.0 consideration

No lie, at this point if I were in charge I'd just write the Giants a blank check to tell us who their favorite DL in the draft is this year. Odds are, he'll end up becoming a beast. No doubt they know DL talent. I agree, don't think Big Zig makes it past NYG.

As for the JPP comparisons that people are starting to make, I understand the obvious similarities in their "career" paths, stature, and athletic background. I get it. However, when I "watch the film", I mean check out Youtube videos I don't see the same type of player. JPP had a ferocious first step, excellent closing speed, and a gladiator type of mentality out there.

[youtube]tP0rhntrT7I[/youtube]

He just jumps off the screen. I like Ziggy, but he just doesn't jump off the screen like that. If I had to pick a guy who has that same type of pop in this year's draft it'd be Dion Jordan, not Ansah.

What I will say is that I still think Ziggy has an extremely bright future and I would love it for it be with the Seahawks. I think playing with the team we've assembled would only do wonders for this kid's career. These guys, with their attitude and their confidence, would turn this guy into a beast. A versatile weapon that could play all along the defensive front and give you solid production no matter where he's lined up. Ansah actually reminds me of JPP's teammate, Justin Tuck. Tuck was at his best for the Giants when he was able to play all 4 spots along the line. I don't know for sure if Ansah will ever play with such reckless abandonment as Tuck did, but I think he could if he were practicing with this team. This is the guy I think JS is referring to when he says that he likes the "unique" pass rushers in this class. I think he's referring to Jordan or Ansah. Jordan will probably go top 15, but as pe says, the Seahawks will probably have to trade ahead of the Giants in order to assure themselves Ziggy.

The bigger question, if kearly's pick comes true, is which DE spot does he compete for? I think both. With Clemons' status up in the air, you could conceivably rotate Ansah and Irvin at the LEO, and Bryant/Scruggs/Ansah in Red's spot. This isn't even taking any FA pickups into account.

Kip, I'm with you on wanting DeAndre Hopkins. What I'd love is for the Hawks to somehow be able to get Ansah, and if Hopkins or Patterson falls into the 2nd round, trade up in the 2nd to get one of them. That would be a dream come true. Very realistic draft. I love the Cooper Taylor pick. He's a dude that's just screaming 'Future Seahawk', I hope. Plus, as a long haired 12, I'm always down with more dreads, plus Rutgers is basically my local College football team, so I'm down with Kasheem Greene!

aawolf

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2u5okt07 said:
In watching Kaseem Greene, he does some really good stuff. Good in coverage down the middle, but what impressed me most, he will stick his nose in to fill gaps against a pulling guard or fullback. He does the dirty work on plays where he could lose gap assign in pursuit. He won't create cut back lanes.

He got frozen by a pistol look once in that Connecticut footage(think Kaepernick) and according to Rang, IIRC, he has already maxed out his frame, so a playing weight of 230 is a question mark. those missing 10 pounds could be enough to drop him a ways.
On Kahseem Greene: Yesterday, the Sirius/XM folks on "Moving the Chains" (Pat Kerwin and Tim Ryan) specifically commented that Greene was a "Pete Carol Guy"--great football player with speed and anticipation that is kind of a hybrid in that he can cover like a saftey and stop the run like a linebacker. I thought these comments matched up well with what Kearly had said. I, too, love linebackers that have a ton of tackles in college. It shows that they are great at play-recognition in finding where the ball is going to go. I don't put as much stock in 40 times and bench-press reps as I do in the ability to get to ball-carriers and make plays. That's a skill that is invaluable in a linebacker.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3642ra68 said:
He got frozen by a pistol look once in that Connecticut footage(think Kaepernick) and according to Rang, IIRC, he has already maxed out his frame, so a playing weight of 230 is a question mark. those missing 10 pounds could be enough to drop him a ways.

It's hard to believe he's just 230. He's not short, and has good bulk to his frame. But yeah, if he's 230 that's a bit of a shame. Cause he definitely looks maxed out.

Lavonte David went about a round lower than he was projected last year in large part because of his 230-ish weight.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NYCoug":28uj2i88 said:
As for the JPP comparisons that people are starting to make, I understand the obvious similarities in their "career" paths, stature, and athletic background. I get it. However, when I "watch the film", I mean check out Youtube videos I don't see the same type of player. JPP had a ferocious first step, excellent closing speed, and a gladiator type of mentality out there.

I agree that the JPP comparison's are extremely generous, but where I disagree is the reasoning. JPP played 2 seasons at the JUCO level before transferring to the mighty powerhouse conference that is the Big East, yet still struggled to put up sacks. He was hardly battle tested before going to the NFL, and his one season of division I had awful tape. He lacked nastiness, was easy to lock down with a decent block, and generally looked like a guy that had never played football before that season. He even ran around like a kid waving his arms around (kind of like Irvin does, heh). Ansah needs coaching up, but JPP was raw-er.

The thing was, JPP's tools were so amazing and the Giants were so confident in their coaching that they took him early anyway. And it worked out great for them. I don't think Ansah's tools are anywhere near that level. Jason Pierre Paul had freakish length and freakish athleticism. I don't really see anything freakish about Ansah, he merely looks like a very good athlete to me.

samwize77

Reaction score
Every year bout this time I'm baffled, because I don't watch Collage ball. I couldn't tell ya nothin about these guys. I never heard of Wagner, Irvin, Carp, Wilson or any of the others until the weeks approaching the draft.
But thanks to guys around here like Rob, Kip, Scott and of course Pe (and others)...I get some very good knowledge BEFORE I'm bombarded by the mainstream media knuckleheads and am able to filter out some of the popularity picks and get some great info and insight into what our Hawks MIGHT be thinking. I empathize "might" because JS and PC have a way of throwing some curve balls at us. BUT with what I learn from you guys in the months preceding the draft at least I feel a bit better informed! Thanks for all the hard work gentleman!! I for one truly appreciate the effort!!