Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Largent80":m0bxfa4d said:
:lol: you guys that try and hammer your point are quite amusing.

Flynn is simply a backup. What else needs to be said?

I think you mean career backup?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The NFL is a copycat league, and if there is one thing that defined the 2012 season, it was the emergence of the mobile QB and the validation of the read option in the NFL. While I think most NFL GMs are probably smart enough to know that QBs like Russell Wilson are very rare, QBs like Colin Kaepernick are not. Finding QBs with tools but not skills isn't hard to do, and SF is proving that such a player can lead a potent NFL offense, even without top shelf WRs.

I see a lot of owners/GMs watching that at home and thinking "why the hell aren't we doing that?" I expect a pretty huge shift in that direction starting immediately this offseason, and though EJ Manuel might have mid round draft grades, will it shock anyone when a team trades up in round 2 to reach for him extra hard? It won't surprise me. This whole situation pretty much sucks the wind out of Matt Flynn's sails. There might be some teams that like Flynn as a backup, which explains the "wait til he's released" logic. Flynn has his fans, just none big enough to pay him starter money or hand him a starting job.

THAT's RIGHT!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2jsff0lk said:
Here's a simple way of looking at it...

If you are on the side that Flynn is a no brainer good starting caliber QB, then we should be seeing great offers in the near future (ie 1st to 3rd rounder). If somebody offered GB a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Flynn, how many of you really think they would turn that down, knowing they could acquire a cheap, starting caliber player with that capital? Honest question.

If you are on the side that Flynn is god awful, then why would JS pay good money to acquire him in FA? Yes, he let him walk without an offer, but ultimately paid the man. If he was terrible, why would any GM cough up $ for him? Why is he still in the league?

So, I'm going out on a limb and saying that reality is probably right in the middle of this debate. That being, Flynn has been a good backup QB, with pretty underwhelming physical skills (I didn't say bad) by starting QB standards, who probably has the ceiling of a low end starting QB. Does this make him terrible? No. Does this make him the GOAT? No.

So, really the question is, how do you think other teams view Flynn? I think if some of you take the time to look at what the Chiefs are looking at, you might get a more grounded version of what Flynn truly is. This time last year, would you want to give GB a 2nd rounder for Flynn? My honest answer is no. I wouldn't mind taking a shot with a 5th rounder.

See I'm not on either side of that fence. I see things from Flynn that are traits of a good QB and I think given the right environment he might be a good QB but I also acknowledge that we don't really know how he will be long term. When I say long term I think of guys like Tony Romo. They show all the right things and have some amazing highlight reels but they also are erratic and seem to lack that killer leader instinct that motivates their team mates and push's the team over the top.

My problem with these conversations is you have the same guys that before preseason were saying Flynn was slow and couldn't scramble, had a noodle arm and couldn't throw deep, is a career backup, he was a 7th round pick for a reason on and on. You get the idea. Once the bullets started flying in preseason and you seen Flynn scramble out of the pocket with good speed and throw a beautiful 50+ yard strike to TO that TO promptly dropped and sprayed the ball all over the field even though he didn't compile much in the stats category thanks in large part to the supporting cast those guys quickly changed their tune about his weakness's and instead of saying, hey I guess he doesn't have a noodle arm or wow he actually does have some speed and pocket presence, they just reverted back to he only has two starts and his supporting cast in GB did all the work he shouldn't get credit for any of that.

It's kind of sickening. He may very well not have the leadership skills that Wilson possesses and he may become erratic from game to game and those are the things that are still a question for anyone. His resume is short but impressive but it doesn't give the whole answer and that won't come out until he actually is a full time starter but to just write him off as a scrub when he has so far shown zero reason to believe he is, to me is ridiculous and deserves to be called out for the rubbish it is.

Winterfell

Reaction score
I have no idea whether Matt Flynn will BE a good starting QB in this league.

But I will say that he has definitely shown POTENTIAL to be a good starting QB.

Just looking back on that game he played against Detroit: 480 passing yards, 6 TDs.

Those are freaking videogame numbers. People might say he was very lucky, but at the professional level of football, nobody gets THAT lucky.

People might say his success that game was due to him being on a stacked team. Sure the Packers were the #1 seed that season, but I think that was more on Aaron Rodgers than the team being stacked.

Sure, the Packers have a lot of great depth to the WR group, but it's not anything near what a team like the Falcons have. And Matt Ryan hasn't exploded for that much production having Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez to throw to, has he? Much less playing outdoors, in the snow?

It's not like the Packers run game or defense did Flynn any favors in that game, they both disappeared.

He fought and made a very good case that he can be a productive starting QB. Whether he does or not depends on whether he'll be given the chance to start, and whether he can replicate that on the field.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hands up if you've written off Matt Flynn as a scrub?

Anyone?

Hang on.... why can't I see any hands?

Funny that, I thought we were going to see such a movement of arms raising from waist height to the ceiling... potentially on such a scale that it leads to a seismic shift provoking a devastating earthquake across the Pacific Northwest.

I guess we don't need 'RichnHansom' (aka LivesinmothersbasementNlookslikeTerryBradshaw) to call out the masses for their 'sickening', beastly viewpoints.

HawkWow

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2jytiq2o said:
HawkWow":2jytiq2o said:
I won't lose sight of the fact that we are never more than 1 play away from being the Cleveland Browns.

And Flynn stops us being the Browns?

I don't even know who Atlanta's back-up is for Matt Ryan.

In a perfect world, nobody would have to know the names of any back-ups but Atlanta's is Luke (warm) McCown. Imagine if McCown had to come in for Ryan. They'd become the Cleveland Browns before our very eyes.

And yes, If RW were injured, I'd give Flynn a much better chance of preventing us from becoming the Browns than I would Portis, Robinson or even Golden Tate. ;)

I think we have a pro-bowl QB as well as a very good QB on our roster. It's a luxury few teams have. Last year we would have given anything for 1 decent QB, now we have two.....and that also apparently makes people unhappy.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Matt Flynn could be the next Ken O'Brien or the next Bernie Kosar, but he could also be the next Wade Wilson or Jay Schroeder so it's really hard to say for sure what he's worth.

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":26lg16ga said:
Matt Flynn could be the next Ken O'Brien or the next Bernie Kosar, but he could also be the next Wade Wilson or Jay Schroeder so it's really hard to say for sure what he's worth.

Zeb, you shoehorning your 4 favorite QB's of all-time into every conversation gets old.

Eric Hipple, Joe Ferguson, Bubby Brister and Richard Todd.

Nuff said, pehawk wins.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":335arp2n said:
Zebulon Dak":335arp2n said:

Zeb, you shoehorning your 4 favorite QB's of all-time into every conversation gets old.

Eric Hipple, Joe Ferguson, Bubby Brister and Richard Todd.

Nuff said, pehawk wins.

Brister's up there. If Matt Flynn could be Bubby Brister I'd by happy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Joe Ferguson had a pretty good career in the NFL

College: Arkansas
NFL Draft: 1973 / Round: 3 / Pick: 57
Debuted in 1973 for the Buffalo Bills
Last played in 1990 for the Indianapolis Colts
Career history
Buffalo Bills (1973-1984)
Detroit Lions (1985-1987)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1988-1989)
Indianapolis Colts (1990)
San Antonio Texans (1995)

Career NFL statistics
TD-INT 196-209
Yards 29,817
QB Rating 68.4

RichNhansom

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3cwpoyo7 said:
Hands up if you've written off Matt Flynn as a scrub?

Anyone?

Hang on.... why can't I see any hands?

Funny that, I thought we were going to see such a movement of arms raising from waist height to the ceiling... potentially on such a scale that it leads to a seismic shift provoking a devastating earthquake across the Pacific Northwest.

I guess we don't need 'RichnHansom' (aka LivesinmothersbasementNlookslikeTerryBradshaw) to call out the masses for their 'sickening', beastly viewpoints.

Funny because I think I see both your hands up.

Correct me if I am wrong but you were the first to say he was a seventh round pick for a reason and didn't you say you would bet your house the Seahawks have no interest in Flynn?

You've been banging the scrub rum as loud as anyone and way louder than most. Trying to push off your imagination on me is pretty funny.

I think my calling out the masses might have hit a little close to home for you. Do you live in your mothers basement? I don't think my wife of 29 years would still be with me if I did. Sorry to tell ya.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":19ytdvu7 said:
So, I'm going out on a limb and saying that reality is probably right in the middle of this debate. That being, Flynn has been a good backup QB, with pretty underwhelming physical skills (I didn't say bad) by starting QB standards, who probably has the ceiling of a low end starting QB. Does this make him terrible? No. Does this make him the GOAT? No.

So, really the question is, how do you think other teams view Flynn? I think if some of you take the time to look at what the Chiefs are looking at, you might get a more grounded version of what Flynn truly is. This time last year, would you want to give GB a 2nd rounder for Flynn? My honest answer is no. I wouldn't mind taking a shot with a 5th rounder.

You're my new favorite poster, I think.

I think Flynn is likely one of the better backup QBs available, and that he would make a decent though uninspiring starting QB for some team. I think he would be about on par with Alex Smith, though with less experience (which is why I decided to respond to the Alex Smith red zone comment with some evidence for Flynn in the red zone). I see the two as not all that different as far as talent level goes.

That doesn't mean he's horrible, but he's probably not worth what he and Alex Smith are getting paid, and he's definitely not worth it if he's just going to hold a clipboard for us. So I think it makes sense to move him if the team can get something out of it (and the prospect of getting a mid-round pick and freeing up a few million in cap room is definitely something).

That said, I see the absolute most we could get for him as being a 2nd round pick. Yes, teams have paid more for unproven guys they hope to turn to starters, but the fact of the matter is that the track record for FA/traded QBs like that isn't stellar. For every Hasselbeck, there's a Scott Mitchell, Kevin Kolb, Jay Fiedler, and Rob Johnson (or even Charlie Whitehurst). That is going to come into play when a QB-needy team starts saying, "Okay, who can we get and how much are we willing to spend?" The only reason I think a 2nd round pick is even within the realm of possibility is because sometimes, GMs are desperate.

I think it's almost a lock that Matt Flynn will be playing for someone else in 2013 (at least I hope he's playing and not just holding a clipboard in different colors). I think it's incredibly likely that the Seahawks will get some trade value for him, so he won't be cut. I also think it's very likely that the trade value will be in the high 4th to high 5th range (maybe even something conditional where if he plays X% of snaps, the pick goes from a 4th to a 3rd or something like that).

scipiobronze

Reaction score
Do we really need to trade Flynn this offseason? Is it possible to trade him during next season after he gets a chance to show more of his stuff during preseason?

If Flynn makes a good showing in the preseason, maybe he becomes more attractive to a team that is just a decent QB away from the postseason, e.g. the Jets, Chiefs, Eagles. I think the calculus for a Matt Flynn trade will change significantly after teams realize that 1) we will not cut Flynn and 2) their other QB options fall through, e.g. they lose all hope in their rookie or FA QB

Does anybody know how the cap numbers work out if he is traded during next season?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Name one QB who wears a helmet that looks like it's 2 sizes too big that has ever won a SB. And don't say Dilfer, his helmet was fine. He just has beady eyes.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":h9evpehl said:
Name one QB who wears a helmet that looks like it's 2 sizes too big that has ever won a SB. And don't say Dilfer, his helmet was fine. He just has beady eyes.

I see your Dilfer, and raise you a Rypien.

Rypien1

Basis4day

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1gx94ndy said:

Eli Manning

Basis4day

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":28848x9z said:

Nfl u manning gb2 576

Latest posts