#3 says his footwork is room to grow - what's that about?

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":14hv4g3m said:
mrblitz":14hv4g3m said:
more often than not, hass underthrew the deep ball.

Name a game before Pete Carroll came to Seattle that there was even a deep throw play call in. Holmgren virtually NEVER did it. Ever. Then, look at the Saints playoff game, where we won because of the deep ball from Hasselbeck. I'm not saying he's a rocket arm or anything like that, but a lot of people seemed to have come to the conclusion that because we never tried to go deep, like EVER, under Holmgren that it was because Hasselbeck wasn't capable of it.

Also, Matt Ryan goes deep all the time and he has the highest rainbow arc passes on deep throws I've ever seen in the history of the NFL. I'm surprised he doesn't hit the rafters in the Georgia Dome on the really deep ones.

I remember a QB competition from like 06 or so where the only QB that Hass threw farther than was Marc Bulger of the Rams...Hass had a barely adequate NFL deep ball. He made up for it with deadly precision on the short and intermediate stuff that was the staple of the WCO. Holmgren ran one of the more pure WCO's since Bill Walsh and under Walsh the 49ers only used a 50yd practice field because that's all they needed to use to run their entire route tree, plus Joe Montana had a noodle that would make him almost undrafted today. Hass was perfect for the WCO that we ran back then but that's pretty close to the only NFL offensive system that he was a good fit for.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1va25z1d said:
mrblitz":1va25z1d said:
more often than not, hass underthrew the deep ball.

Name a game before Pete Carroll came to Seattle that there was even a deep throw play call in. Holmgren virtually NEVER did it. Ever. Then, look at the Saints playoff game, where we won because of the deep ball from Hasselbeck. I'm not saying he's a rocket arm or anything like that, but a lot of people seemed to have come to the conclusion that because we never tried to go deep, like EVER, under Holmgren that it was because Hasselbeck wasn't capable of it.

Also, Matt Ryan goes deep all the time and he has the highest rainbow arc passes on deep throws I've ever seen in the history of the NFL. I'm surprised he doesn't hit the rafters in the Georgia Dome on the really deep ones.
Super bowl. Hass threw a deep ball to D-jack. 2 yards out of bounds.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Schneider has pointed to footwork and reads regarding areas Russell can improve.

I also noticed that RW3 has a tendency to overthrow, esp early in games and esp when under pressure.

BestInTheWest

Reaction score
It's all about becoming more fluent and crisper. Having your feet set and pointed in the right direction as you throw. Stepping up into the pocket, stepping away from pressure, it's truly an art. As many have said a lot of times when you over throw someone it's in the mechanics either A) not throwing with the leg properly bent, feet not set properly or not fully balanced or B) mechanics in the upper body.

There's always room for improvement. Get Russel to properly be able to sit and move around in a pocket and become a pocket first QB. Then he can use his mobility as a secondary. Not saying Russel can't throw from the pocket, but he can most definitely improve. And a lot of these little things are just straight up mechanics. He's a rookie, he has plenty of room to grow.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
brimsalabim":12w788hk said:
I read that this is the first offseason that Russell wont go directly into baseball practice? I also heard Tate mention that he and Russell were going to spend a lot of time working on timing throws this off season. I expect we will see less of the footwork overthrow problem next season.

I want to see him improve on his timing passes more than anything. He seems to hold on to the ball pretty long before unloading.

Winterfell

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1k15isti said:
I want to see him improve on his timing passes more than anything. He seems to hold on to the ball pretty long before unloading.

I think that has a lot to do with his approach towards the game - not releasing a pass until he feels reasonably confident that it'll be "safe."

Those timing passes generally entail throwing a quick strike to a spot on the field where your WR isn't, but you must anticipate and trust that your WR will make it to that spot and make a play. It's definitely a pass of faith.

I think the reason why we see Russel Wilson holding on the ball longer than is expected, and why the pass seems late is that he throws it once the WR has already made his cut and got a little separation from the defender, rather than throw it to a blank spot on the field and then when the WR makes his cut the ball is already right there.

Considering that Russel Wilson has only had one season to establish chemistry with the receivers, and his concern over turnovers, I really expect him to improve on this for next season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Why is this being treated as issue or problem? QB's are always working on their footwork and reads. It's a fundamental part of their game that they need to constantly hone to keep an edge. I guaranted that any great QB, including Brady and Manning, are constantly practicing their footwork and reads. I would be worried if he WASN'T working on this.

Winterfell

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3thsevip said:
I guaranted that any great QB, including Brady and Manning, are constantly practicing their footwork and reads.

I always thought it was interesting to compare Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's footwork.

Manning is always dancing, one foot down, one foot up like he's tapping his feet while he maneuvers in the pocket.

manning_jump.gif

Brady on the other hand, tends to keep both feet on the ground, however he stands on the tips of his toes and his heels are slightly off of the ground.

Tom_d6d5f5_3044954.gif

I wonder what the pros and cons are to both styles? There has to be something fundamentally logical in both Brady's and Manning's footwork for them to maintain the passing excellence for all those seasons.