Replacement for Washington?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Have been watching some of the Sr. Bowl stuff, and they have raved about both Barner and Franklin. Both have the speed, but they have both surprised in the blocking game. Would be nice to have a 3rd guy who can play well if either Lynch or Turban go down, similar to what SF has in LMJ with Hunter getting hurt. Both guys had success as return men early in their careers before having to be the man at UO and UCLA. At this point I think either would be a better RB then Washington is at this point in his career, though I still love his return ability I think we need to draft someone who helps us transition.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Barner's the man, fo sho. If, for some reason, Washington wasn't on the team next season I wouldn't mind Kenjon being the return guy/#3/3rd down running back. Having said that, only way I see Washington NOT on the team next season is if the team asks him to take a paycut and he denies. I doubt they'd do that after he led the league in KR Avg, but stranger things have happened.

If someone jumped on Barner earlier than we could in this scenario, the guy I'd look to next would be Dri Archer, RB/WR out of Kent State. Gotta love the small school kids and Dri is a star in the return game, as well as on offense. Don't know how all of his skills will translate to the NFL as far as being running back is concerned, but he'll certainly be a threat with the ball in his hands. Supposedly runs a 4.27 40, we'll see how he times.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Personally I dont think Kenjon is going to be a very good pro. He has speed and good hands, but thats it. He doesnt run physical. He doesnt really have jukes to make people miss. And if a defender gets their hands on him he's tackled. I do like Franlin a lot though. But i'd rather have Denard Robinson tehn either of them.

Veilside

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hlseo5g said:
Personally I dont think Kenjon is going to be a very good pro. He has speed and good hands, but thats it. He doesnt run physical. He doesnt really have jukes to make people miss. And if a defender gets their hands on him he's tackled. I do like Franlin a lot though. But i'd rather have Denard Robinson tehn either of them.

Wow so much for Barner then. This must be the most damning assessment of a player I've seen yet. *no sarcasm*

What about Black Mamba? You see him translating to the pro game? I really kinda want a speedy scatback type who's great out of the backfield and can eventually take over for Washington at returns.

sturg78

Reaction score
Kenjon has some speed and some vision, but nothing extraordinary. Mamba has speed that makes him special by itself. Mamba is sproles but younger and faster.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Black Mamba at 165 pounds is a tougher inside runner, and tougher to bring down then Barner, and its not even close.

I think DAT will be great in the NFL but I dont think it will be at RB. I think he'll be a hyper athletic Wes Welker and a kick returner. Give him 3 feet of space, anywhere on the football field, and he's gone. He's better at making jukes and moves while running full speed then any football player i've ever seen.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
One guy who I believe is very underrated is Utah St rb Kerwynn Williams who has speed,smaller guy but put up 1500+ on the ground and almost 700 through the air

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":261yuve1 said:
Black Mamba at 165 pounds is a tougher inside runner, and tougher to bring down then Barner, and its not even close.

I think DAT will be great in the NFL but I dont think it will be at RB. I think he'll be a hyper athletic Wes Welker and a kick returner. Give him 3 feet of space, anywhere on the football field, and he's gone. He's better at making jukes and moves while running full speed then any football player i've ever seen.

165 in HS. He weighed in at 178 this last summer and still has room to grow to 185 or so. I think DAT will be a Persey Havin like player in the NFL, or could even be used exclusively as a slot guy.

As for Barner you are wayyy underselling him. He has elite speed and does have some moves. I do agree he needs to work on lower body strength for breaking tackles, but I think he's a half a step slower Reggie Bush type of RB. They are both built very similar and have kind of the same type of running style, though I feel at this point coming out o school, Barner has shown far more willingness to run between the tackles then Reggie did while at SC.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3pwg67x2 said:

Who is Black Mamba or DAT, or are they the same person? And isn't Black Mamba already Kobe Bryant's terrible nickname?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1yaed6c7 said:
JSeahawks":1yaed6c7 said:

Who is Black Mamba or DAT, or are they the same person? And isn't Black Mamba already Kobe Bryant's terrible nickname?

De'Anthony Thomas. Not in this draft. The knickname Black Mamba was given to him by Snoop Dogg when he was playing youth football.

[youtube]vM184_w8a0c[/youtube]

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
As far as kick returners that can contribute else where, though not a RB, I really liked what I saw from Robert Alford in the senior bowl. Guy has skills and speed as well as good corner abilities. I think he has the speed/quickness and instincts to be an excellent nickel back covering the quick slot guys. I also feel that is really what we need in there to complement the big outside corners we already have.

As far as RB's, I liked Stephon Taylor and Jonathon Franklin from the senior bowl. But I am perfectly fine if we go another year w/ Leon as well. He may have lost a step and not much to the run game but still gets good production on returns w/ the threat to take it the distance.