How much of our top ranked defense is....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • How much of our top ranked defense is a product of personalle, and how much of it was a product of Gus Bradley?
    Were we a top ranked defense off of pure talent? how big of a role did Gus Bradley play into us having a top 5 unit across the board.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• I doubt we'll see a drop off with him gone. Players like Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Mebane and Wright ae just to good. This is Petes defense. He installed it when he came to Seattle. Gus was good at calling the plays and making adjustments.
    ProckHawks
    NET Rookie

• We'll have our answer come next preseason and next regular season.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• It was because of talent and a top 5 D despite Gus Bradleys crap schemes and playcalling!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Well, the players are talented, no doubt, so they deserve most if the credit, but lets not forget, Gus and Pete turned one youngest team in the league, made up of mostly lower draft prices, into a top defense.

You cab hate Gus for his scheme and playcall, but it hard to ignore that the results. Plus, I'd say that there's the side of player development that we as fans don't get to see because it happens behind the scene, on the practice field and in the film room. I have a feeling that was one of Gus' strong suits.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Recon_Hawk wrote:Well, the players are talented, no doubt, so they deserve most if the credit, but lets not forget, Gus and Pete turned one youngest team in the league, made up of mostly lower draft prices, into a top defense.

You cab hate Gus for his scheme and playcall, but it hard to ignore that the results. Plus, I'd say that there's the side of player development that we as fans don't get to see because it happens behind the scene, on the practice field and in the film room. I have a feeling that was one of Gus' strong suits.

I disagree. Sherman, Kam, Browner, 2010/2011 Red Bryant, Clem, KJ, Wagner are all players that match Pete's scheme. Pete is the architect of the Defense, and we are about to see that our Defense Coordinator is plug and play.

Dan Quin is going to be to our Defensive line as Cable is to our Offensive line
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -in/nTBzg/

Im a betting man, and I bet that our Defense gets better under Quin. Imagine that, and drool
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:It was because of talent and a top 5 D despite Gus Bradleys crap schemes and playcalling!

Uh oh, another 'expert' post. Yeah the lack of pressure from our base set was all Bradley's fault. Considering we were lacking TALENT on the D line, it's a wonder our D was ranked in the top 5. That was some GOOD coaching that got us there.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• I don't know, but here is Brock Huard breaking down the first play of that season ending drive:

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2179342/Chal ... ff-Falcons

Note that Brock says when he was a QB the thing he didn't want to see in this situation was press man coverage. He wanted to see zone so that he had big space to throw into.

We had a top 3 press man coverage unit, but you know which coverage we chose.

Press man is what had got Ryan off the field the last two drives, trying to thread the needle on those tightly covered out routs. Ryan was choking. I don't see any way he converts on that drive into tight coverage. We had the personnel. We made it as hard as possible for them to be successful.
    formido
    NET Starter

• Hopefully it was Bradley as we couldnt stop teams when we needed to this season.

We need some (who knows where they are going to come from) defensive lineman and we need to dump Trufant. Zero pressure on the QB at too many times this season. Failures, like Trufant's on the last drive against Atlanta, have haunted us a critical times this season.

We need help or we are just going to be in track meets with any team that has a good offense.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Hard to say, it may be Carroll's scheme but Bradley setup the rotations, play calling, and game plans, so losing him will be felt on game day. Also, I think Bradley was somewhat responsible for teaching so many of our young players and getting them starting early with results. I do think Quinn can accomplish this as well but we'll have to wait and see if we get better or worse when it counts.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Better question is how much of our top ranked defense is a product of the 12th Man?

Not taking anything away from our defense, because it is great......but I see our offense being better than our defense next year.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Our offense looked top 5, not our defense. Looking forward to the draft and Dan Quinn.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:Better question is how much of our top ranked defense is a product of the 12th Man?

Not taking anything away from our defense, because it is great......but I see our offense being better than our defense next year.

Our secondary and linebackers looked great on the road, our d-line looked pretty bad even at home several times during the year.
    Even against the 49ers, Kaepersnicks had all day to throw the ball unless if we blitzed LBs.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• yeah, our d-line didn't hold up very well this last season.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• Personnel decisions... 30%

Pete's contribution in scheme/personnel... 50%

Bradley's contribution... 20%
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Smoke wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:Well, the players are talented, no doubt, so they deserve most if the credit, but lets not forget, Gus and Pete turned one youngest team in the league, made up of mostly lower draft prices, into a top defense.

I disagree. Sherman, Kam, Browner, 2010/2011 Red Bryant, Clem, KJ, Wagner are all players that match Pete's scheme. Pete is the architect of the Defense, and we are about to see that our Defense Coordinator is plug and play.

Dan Quin is going to be to our Defensive line as Cable is to our Offensive line
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -in/nTBzg/

Im a betting man, and I bet that our Defense gets better under Quin. Imagine that, and drool

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, but I do agree we get better on defense, though I would have said that if either Bradley or Quinn was here next year. We're a young defense with room to grow and we'll have a few new players on the defensive line through the draft and FA. We better improve!
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:Better question is how much of our top ranked defense is a product of the 12th Man?

Our secondary and linebackers looked great on the road, our d-line looked pretty bad even at home several times during the year.
    Even against the 49ers, Kaepersnicks had all day to throw the ball unless if we blitzed LBs.

That kind of what Im saying in a way. Our DL is definitely the weakness of our defense, especially rushing the passer. However, that weakness is concealed better at Cent Link where they can get an actual jump on the OL due to crowd noise.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:How much of our top ranked defense is a product of personalle, and how much of it was a product of Gus Bradley?
    Were we a top ranked defense off of pure talent? how big of a role did Gus Bradley play into us having a top 5 unit across the board.

Having talented players makes the Coaches look good.
    Players still have to "Get It Done" regardless how the play gets called.
    Bradley screwed up in the last few playcalls in the Falcons game, by positioning his players in the wrong places.
    You could have driven a Mack Truck thru the hole on that long pass by Ryan and his wide open Receiver.
    You could tell that Browner was peeved about that particular play call by the Defense Coach...I'm glad he's gone, and I'm not looking back,,,,,,Welcome Home Quinn,,,,now, please learn from Bradleys mistakes.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I think Bradley benifited from our defensive players.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Starter

• 50% Personnel, 40% Pete, 10% Gus. Just my feeling or hopeful delusion, whichever you prefer.
    MOCHawk
    NET Rookie

• Gus gone? K, next man up.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:Better question is how much of our top ranked defense is a product of the 12th Man?

The 12th man has defenently padded the stats IMHO too.
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

• I think he had a young-fresh outlook on a scheme similar to what Pete had

Younger guy to relate to younger team....

Had zero blitz and scheme innovation really in my opinion

But we aren't in the headset...but pretty sure he would call the blitz formation...Pete would juat say "send some pressure"
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

• zayden185 wrote:I think he had a young-fresh outlook on a scheme similar to what Pete had

Younger guy to relate to younger team....

Had zero blitz and scheme innovation really in my opinion

But we aren't in the headset...but pretty sure he would call the blitz formation...Pete would juat say "send some pressure"

Imagine if we had Washingtons D-Coordinator who ran cover 0 like 20 times through out the game, With our shutdown corners, every game would be like the Green Bay one.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• I am happy Quinn is our DC now, for one he is a amazing d linemen coach, and there are no words to say how important that will be for Bruce, and the other young linemen we have like Scruggs. Specially since our D-line pretty much fell apart mid season, we weren't stopping the run like we used to, nor were we getting pressure.

Quinn is to the D-line, as Cable is to the O-line

To the people saying Quinn can't coach our players like Gus did. Then you don't know much about Quinn. He is another Pete kinda guy, Players love him, and just look what he has done in his past jobs like Florida. Florida's offense was so inconsistent, that team was held up by there defense. All the articles on Quinn I could find online have quotes from players saying how much they loved him as there coach. He has a nack of getting more out of players, and I am ecstatic that he is our DC now. I think our defense will be so much better next season, because Quinn is going to get that line in shape. I guarantee you that, mix that with us drafting a LB to replace Hill, a New nickle corner to replace Trufant, and maybe adding some more young talent to the D-line.

That gets me reeeaalll fired up *in a pete carrol voice* i expect our defense to be redic! :th2thumbs:
    XLVIII - 2014 - Champions
    checkdanews
    NET Rookie

• Oh, I'm very confident in Quinn's abilities. I still think we need to add some D line players to help him out cause coaching only goes so far. We didn't have a winning record and the D was ranked much lower while he was here, so he's not magic.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• MOCHawk wrote:50% Personnel, 40% Pete, 10% Gus. Just my feeling or hopeful delusion, whichever you prefer.

This is about where I put the percentages also.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• HawKnPeppa wrote:Oh, I'm very confident in Quinn's abilities. I still think we need to add some D line players to help him out cause coaching only goes so far. We didn't have a winning record and the D was ranked much lower while he was here, so he's not magic.

...and all of the parts we have now were not here either. We've upgraded the talent on D quite a bit since he left.

It'll be interesting to see who we sign/draft to help him. Pete's declared he's on the hunt for pass rush. Quinn has to be down with that.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• we should just hire nick holt he was AWESOME when he rode petes coattails
    tek5
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information