Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Further correspondence from Cole on this Twitter thread:

Luke W ‏@Lukerguy
@JasonColeYahoo Zero chance he's cut. That would be to admit they were wrong to sign him. They weren't wrong...it's just Wilson was right.

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
@Lukerguy agreed, just relaying what people think

pehawk

Reaction score
Press the weasel on "who" these sources are. My bet would be its; English, Flynn's agent and Schneider. Although I'm pretty sure the first two people are one in the same.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2jq6qlwl said:
Coug_Hawk08":2jq6qlwl said:
I think Cole could have at the very least said 'per sources', or supply a link to a blog post that actually says something to back his tweet. Is cole a legit source?

So the difference between you accepting this tweet and not was the lack of 'per sources' in his 140 character limit?

Did I say that? Or did you read incorrectly? Sheesh you are being pretty dense. It's poor journalism to just make a brash statement without saying where it came from. Most legitamate reporters will at least say it was from sources, or per another report with link etc. Id expect you know this at least to some extent, as I have seen you complain about it in the past. Guess you are selective that way. The tweet has near zero credibility as is (jason coles name is on it, thats it. who cares?) Might as well be from bleacher report. Saying it is from a reliable source, is again, a start. Should fit in the character limit, too.

Even in the next tweet from the exchange with lurker "just relaying what people think", He gives zero detail or credibilty. I mean really? Are these people that matter? Are they even football people? Or did he just read some random community convo and then make a generic and largely baseless statement?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
All you Flynn lovers make me sick. :lol:

In a perfect world we keep both he and Wilson next year, or trade Flynn for a pick of some sort.. but if we cant and that $3M is the difference between a Richard Sherman staying in Seattle for 5 more years or him going to a Dallas or Washington.. ummm sorry Flynn, love ya buddy and wish you the best.

seedhawk

Reaction score
If we cut Flynn, it will not be about money or cap. It will be because we either found someone else who is a better fit for us, or because we reach the decision that Flynn is just not right for the Hawks.

Look at our roster and count how many guys we have in their first 4 years. Only those in their 4th year have contracts under the old CBA. Using Wilsons contract as an example, (3rd round Qb), his third year will pay him about 700K. If that is "average", and you have 40 guys on your team in their first 4 years, thats about 30M, leaving 90M to spread out on vets. 30 in the first 4 it goes down to 20M leaving 100M for vets. Welcome to life in the new NFL.

TroxHawk

Reaction score
If we cut or traded Flynn, who would be the backup? We are only carrying two QB's on the roster. Would we draft another rookie to back up Wilson? Pick a veteran off the scrap heap, like Cassel, Quinn, etc? If we trade Flynn it would be for draft choices. If we trade Flynn it will be because the Hawks have their eye on a veteran coming available or another sleeper in the draft. I don't see him being cut.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1t4fvkds said:
All you Flynn lovers make me sick. :lol:

In a perfect world we keep both he and Wilson next year, or trade Flynn for a pick of some sort.. but if we cant and that $3M is the difference between a Richard Sherman staying in Seattle for 5 more years or him going to a Dallas or Washington.. ummm sorry Flynn, love ya buddy and wish you the best.

We get it, you hate Flynn.

BASF

Reaction score
As much as people want to point to the high numbers produced in Flynn's two starts, no one ever mentions that in his two starts he threw interceptions on probably 30% of his passes that traveled over 15 yards. He is a risk taker down field and doesn't have the arm to back that up.

The true question and one that no one but the coaching staff can answer is, is Josh Portis ready to be the number two guy and come in and get us wins if our starter gets injured (I am not willing to put his name and injured in the same sentence)? A lot of Seahawk fans got very excited about Portis after two drives in the preseason two seasons ago, but his last preseason was not impressive at all. The lack of reps probably killed him, but this offseason he should be putting in work as much as either one of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart with our receivers. All of them have already stated they will be working with Russell Wilson, and I wonder if they will extend the same for Portis.

themunn

Reaction score
Zowert":2ukp8v66 said:
And people actually thought Matt Flynn was worth as much as a first round pick, lol! I knew this all along, that Flynn doesn't have much (if any) value on the market. He is simply not a proven quarterback. If he had a full season under his belt, where he put up good or at least decent numbers, then we would be talking 3rd or even 2nd round picks.

We overvalued Matt Flynn, so this kind of news [if he does get cut] really shouldn't be so surprising. Just because we're paying him a starting QB's salary, doesn't make him a valuable asset to other teams around the league. Even to teams that need a QB. They'd rather draft one or pick a proven veteran up.

Tarvaris Jackson is actually worth more than Flynn.

QB's are not exactly a dime a dozen though, so I can see why a lot of people put more value on Flynn than he is actually worth. Kinda funny how things work out, sometimes...

Don't agree, people will always pay for QBs they think can "maybe be the guy".
Last year was different in that the QB class was deep and full of quality, the top 2 picks were slam dunk starters, and then people were high on Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler, Cousins, Foles and Wilson - maybe not first round high, but "possible starter guys", and pretty much everyone has been proven right bar a couple. This year there's talk that a QB won't go in the first round (I doubt that will happen), but that also means that the value of backup QBs increase.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":37jmeib0 said:
If we cut Flynn, it will not be about money or cap. It will be because we either found someone else who is a better fit for us, or because we reach the decision that Flynn is just not right for the Hawks.

Look at our roster and count how many guys we have in their first 4 years. Only those in their 4th year have contracts under the old CBA. Using Wilsons contract as an example, (3rd round Qb), his third year will pay him about 700K. If that is "average", and you have 40 guys on your team in their first 4 years, thats about 30M, leaving 90M to spread out on vets. 30 in the first 4 it goes down to 20M leaving 100M for vets. Welcome to life in the new NFL.

Actually, it could be about all three.

It will definitely be about money/cap, and we may find a journeyman or rookie that we feel fits the offense better and for less money.

The thing is, sure, if you look at our current cap situation and don't consider the future at all, we're in pretty good shape. But we've got a lot of amazing, key guys who are so much more important to the team than the backup QB, and we're going to need to start preparing to pay these guys as they come off their rookie deals.

Given that we can roll cap room over to following seasons, maximizing your cap room in order to keep your crucial players from leaving in FA by signing them to long-term deals prior to them hitting FA is hugely important. Far more important than whether we have Matt Flynn or (for example) Tarvaris Jackson at backup.

Yes, the Seahawks are very lucky that they don't have a ton of money tied up in the QB position, but it's primarily due to Wilson being the biggest bargain in the league at starting QB. But just because we don't HAVE to release Flynn doesn't mean we shouldn't try to maximize the value we're getting at all positions on the team. If we can get a guy that gives us the peace of mind at backup QB that Flynn does for closer to the vet minimum, then we should take it and let Flynn seek a starting gig elsewhere.

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team approach Flynn about reworking his contract to something more cap friendly in order to grease the wheels for a trade, or in the absence of that, to keep him around while giving the team more flexibility to sign guys like Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Browner, Okung, etc. to deals that will keep them far away from FA.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It is pretty crazy how much some people over-value Flynn around here. He is a 28 year old career backup. He has no outstanding physical skills. Few teams were interested in him as a free agent. Since then, he lost out to a rookie in a QB competition. I just don't get why people think he would be worth so much in a trade, or why a struggling team with a pissed off fanbase would even want to sell Matt Flynn as "the answer" to those pissed off fans.

I think the most you could hope for is that another team is willing to give him exactly the same kind of opportunity Seattle gave him last year: Bring him in, let him compete with a high upside rookie and see what happens. But the thing is, no team is going to give up a high pick for the opportunity to bring him in for a QB competition.

Despite all that stuff, I do really like him. I think he probably could be a pretty good player, maybe even a good starter. I think he is a fantastic backup. If he was content with it, I'd just assume keep him, unless we have to have that cap space to address other needs.

mikeak

Reaction score
We are not CUTTING Flynn. The cost of doing so plus the cost of the backup has to much risk vs the reward. If you can save $10 million and get a great improvement fine but in this case we would save a few millions on the cap but get a huge downgrade.

Now trading Flynn is surely on the block. Get rid of the full contract and get someone in there cheap but with upside for the future but he will be good enough to come in and play.....

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I don't see it. There is more value for him this year than last, and he had at least two teams - Seattle and Miami - interested then.

To say he won't amount to anything because he's been a "perpetual backup" is not really telling the whole story anyway. He backed up a perennial top-5 (and arguably the league's current best) quarterback in Green Bay, and even if Wilson was a 3rd round rookie, his play put him soundly in top-5 quarterback play this year. Flynn would have had to beat out two top-5 quarterbacks on two different teams to make the cut as a starting quarterback. What are the odds of that? But he doesn't have to do that if he's traded. All he has to do is be one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the league to be a starter. He obviously still has the potential for that.

The thing we're overlooking somewhat here is Flynn's contribution to this team. As I recall, both Carroll and Wilson said he was extremely instrumental in keeping our heads and hearts in the game when we came back against Atlanta. He played a vital role in pumping up spirits on the sidelines, and coaching everyone up to stay in it and come back for what would have been the win. So to dismiss him as so much fodder just because he's making more money than Wilson as Wilson's backup is a bit off. There is a set amount of money tied up in the quarterback position, and even next year, it's not anything to break the bank. He may be cut or (more likely) traded, but he could well remain on our roster next year. We've seen the need for a quality backup. Why open yet another position to be a position of need just to save a few bucks?

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":17y01zof said:
Did I say that? Or did you read incorrectly? Sheesh you are being pretty dense. It's poor journalism to just make a brash statement without saying where it came from. Most legitamate reporters will at least say it was from sources, or per another report with link etc. Id expect you know this at least to some extent, as I have seen you complain about it in the past. Guess you are selective that way. The tweet has near zero credibility as is (jason coles name is on it, thats it. who cares?) Might as well be from bleacher report. Saying it is from a reliable source, is again, a start. Should fit in the character limit, too.

Even in the next tweet from the exchange with lurker "just relaying what people think", He gives zero detail or credibilty. I mean really? Are these people that matter? Are they even football people? Or did he just read some random community convo and then make a generic and largely baseless statement?

I think the rules of the forum say attack the post, not the poster. You might want to keep that in mind next time.

It's a tweet.

He relayed some information. There was nothing 'brash' about it. You're arguing he didn't use the words 'per sources'. The world continues to turn whether he uses those words or not. It's completely irrelevant considering it's implied that he has indeed spoken to sources. Anybody can see that.

pehawk

Reaction score
It's okay to attack posters not in the country. At least thats what Les said.

Zowert

Reaction score
I am wondering why the Seahawks even gave Matt Flynn the amount of money they did. He only has two career regular season starts, and other teams in the league weren't exactly falling over trying to sign him. Actually I think we were the only ones really pursuing him. I did hear about the Miami Dolphins having a little interest in him, and maybe one or two others. But none of them were going to give him a long term deal and especially not the amount of money we dumped into his contract.

I bet if the talent available in the Quarterback position wasn't so deep in last year's draft. Then Flynn's stock on the free agent market would've been much higher. However, that wasn't the case and we ended up overpaying the guy. Now we're out what could have been the best backup QB in the league because his salary is not worth keeping him on the roster. We're either going to have to sign Portis off the practice squad [before he gets signed to attend another team's training camp] or look around for a decent backup. Its going to tough to find a second string QB that everyone (fans, players and coaches) can be confident in..

Lets just hope that Russell Wilson has a skeleton with the indestructible metal; adamantium, like the X-Men character "Wolverine".. Since "adamantium" is a fictional metal. Maybe the Seahawks team surgeons can put DangeRuss under the knife this off-season and replace his ordinary bone skeleton with Grade 4 Titanium alloy rods. Then reconstruct all of his ligaments (ACL, MCL, etc) with Type-49 Kevlar, or maybe some type of carbon nanofiber material. Graphene [200x stronger than steel] if you could somehow use it to make knee ligaments. Basically, I want RW to be indestructible.

pehawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":dgtk7anp said:
pehawk":dgtk7anp said:
It's okay to attack posters not in the country. At least, thats what Les said.

Hell yeah! Let's gang up on the foreigners!

You'd like that wouldn't you, Air Supply?

I'm tired of these LAZY, know-nuttin, freeloading foreigners clogging OUR boards and bandwidth to spread their Bearded Colt McCoy hate. Yeah, I know that statement will ruffle the feathers of Rockhawk who encourages such isht with his "screenname amnesty" program, but someone had to say it. I want my daughter to grow up on a board free of such hate and rhetoric. Not to mention my daughters right to the bandwidth and OP's they're greedily taking for themselves.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ncxjs4s said:
Coug_Hawk08":1ncxjs4s said:

I think the rules of the forum say attack the post, not the poster. You might want to keep that in mind next time.

It's a tweet.

He relayed some information. There was nothing 'brash' about it. You're arguing he didn't use the words 'per sources'. The world continues to turn whether he uses those words or not. It's completely irrelevant considering it's implied that he has indeed spoken to sources. Anybody can see that.

Where is the emote smiley shedding a little tear? Or playing a tiny violin? Come on man.

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's credible, or that it really means a dang thing. You are obviously an advocate of his thoughts and are pushing it on others, that's fine. I think the attempts to defend cole are as weak as the arguments provided for releasing Flynn. Good thing is, we get to see how it all plays out.

I wonder what incarceratedbob has to say about this topic? #beleiveeverythingontwitter

Latest posts