Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Guss
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

The more I think about the interviews for head coaching positions he had during the playoffs the more this whole thing makes sense-Our run defense was INEPT in the first half and secondary porous in the final drive against Atlanta. His second interview with the Eagles was a day before the game; come on man.

The league really has to stop the feeding frenzy on coaching vacancies until AFTER the playoffs. Otherwise we'll miss you Guss...

Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 pm 
NET Veteran

While I don't really believe that it affected the outcome of this game, it does seem a bit odd to me that coaching vacancies are being interviewed for and filled during the playoffs. I suppose it makes sense that you'd want to fill the position as quickly as possible, and ideally well before free agency starts (as the lack of a head coach would obviously be a serious deterrant to players who want to know who their boss will be), but it does seem like an enormous potential distraction.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 pm 
NET Veteran

Funny how Gus interviewing before the game affected the run-defense in only the first half and the secondary only last 30 seconds.

Not both at the same time, but separate, seemingly random times in the game. Hmmm..yeah, makes sense. Must be the reason.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 pm 
NET Starter

Spooky.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 pm 
NET Veteran

Grow up man, its was the players, not the defensive coordinator, that couldnt stop those running backs.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Recon_Hawk wrote:
Funny how Gus interviewing before the game affected the run-defense in only the first half and the secondary only last 30 seconds.

Not both at the same time, but separate, seemingly random times in the game. Hmmm..yeah, makes sense. Must be the reason.

No; I only chose those two glaring instances for obvious reasons. We came out flat on D and that cannot be denied-

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

therealjohncarlson wrote:
Grow up man, its was the players, not the defensive coordinator, that couldnt stop those running backs.

No; the league should not allow interviews of coaching staff until after teams are eliminated or seasons end. He would have had a clearer focus on the task at hand-

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mods, isn't there a way to prevent posters with less than 50 posts to start new threads?

HalG6 wrote:

Really dude? Ridiculous...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Trenchbroom wrote:
Mods, isn't there a way to prevent posters with less than 50 posts to start new threads?

HalG6 wrote:

So you think that it was okay for Guss to interview with two or three teams before the Atlanta game?

< 50 posts

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 pm 
NET Veteran

Trenchbroom wrote:

Come on man, his opinion and right to start a new thread and idea is just as important as yours, mine, and anyone else's here. That being said, I completely disagree with this opinion...... I do actually think they should wait until after the postseason to start interviewing coaches and stuff, much like free agency- some NFL rules are just straight up retarded- but I think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that it had a legitimate effect on the outcome of the game. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 pm 
NET Veteran

HalG6 wrote:
Recon_Hawk wrote:

No; I only chose those two glaring instances for obvious reasons. We came out flat on D and that cannot be denied-

But that doesn't mean Bradley's interview was the reason for it. Heck, he could have had a short, one hour interview while the rest of the team and staff was watching the Packers-49ers game in their hotel room. We just don't know if it made any difference.

If teams come out flat, why do we automatically blame the coaches for not preparing or getting them ready? The truth is, the players have a responsibility to come out sharp and ready, too, and sometimes, the players don't hold up their end of it, no matter what the coaches do.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 pm 
NET Veteran

I'm not buying these woe is me excuses, as a Franchise that has success you learn to deal with these things. If it was a distraction then it's on Pete and the Front Office for allowing interviews during our preperation week.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm 
NET Practice Squad

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated by multiple people, but these interviews aren't a big deal. It's a short interview done after the game plan is already installed and it's done in the coaches limited free time anyway. It wasn't a factor.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 am 
NET Veteran

It's amazing how shitty people can be when someone posts an opinion they don't subscribe to.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am 
NET Veteran

Bradley had a relaxed 90 minute interview on Saturday night.

It almost certainly had zero impact on the game.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 am 
NET Veteran

imo if the gameplan he drew up was solid then the interview shouldn't matter that much.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 am 
NET Veteran

Game plan was already in place. Players may have been distracted but I really doubt it. Stupid soft zone did us in, and that's on PC and Gus Bradley.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 am 
NET Veteran

You. Need. To. Let. The. Atlanta. Game. Go.

You've started several threads trying to pick apart the outcome of this game, looking for a way to blame the refs or the coordinators.

"Russell got the play off at the end of the 1st half!"

"Turbin's 3rd and 1 was converted!"

"Bradley interviewing threw everyone off and prevented players from doing their jobs!"

Please, for your own mental well-being, let it go.

Wilson didn't get the play off. Turbin didn't get the 1st down.

And Bradley didn't interview with "2 or 3 teams before the game." It was one team, the Eagles, for a brief introductory interview. As English pointed out, it wasn't even 2 hours long, and it wasn't during a time when the team was supposed to be installing the super-secret special defense that would have prevented us from getting gashed by Turner or giving up big plays to Gonzalez.

Sometimes, the players just don't play well enough. That's what happened in Atlanta.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Gus interviewing with the Eagles had nothing to do with Jacquizz Rodgers and Michael Turner breaking tackles by Red Bryant, Earl Thomas, and ALL our LBers.

Gus interviewing also had nothing to do with Kam Chancellor being beat by Gonzalez in the end zone.

Gus interviewing also had nothing to do with Marshawn fumbling.

Gus interviewing also had nothing to do with Russell Wilson being sacked with no TOs left in the 1st half.

Gus interviewing also had nothing to do with Turbin not being able to get 1 yard on 3rd down and then Robinson not being able to get 1 yard on 4th down.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 am 
NET Veteran

i agree the interviewing process needs to be conducted after the playoffs... i however do no agree that the interview played some part in the break down of the running Defense or the secondary at the end... our run d has been suspect all year since the SF game, and that stupid zone coverage does nothing to prevent apposing teams from moving the ball in large chunks, i hate it, we should have manned up there.. that's what got us to that point, why go away from it...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am 
*NET Poop Holster*

jkitsune wrote:
While I don't really believe that it affected the outcome of this game, it does seem a bit odd to me that coaching vacancies are being interviewed for and filled during the playoffs. I suppose it makes sense that you'd want to fill the position as quickly as possible, and ideally well before free agency starts (as the lack of a head coach would obviously be a serious deterrant to players who want to know who their boss will be), but it does seem like an enormous potential distraction.

If it only made a 3 pt difference I for one am STEAMED!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am 
* NET Radish *

Trenchbroom wrote:

HalG6 wrote:

No but there is a serious move underfoot to prevent posters with 800 posts to not post in them.

:roll:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 am 
* Gangnameister *

Oh newbies... They're like a crazy uncle spouting conspiracy theories at Thanksgiving dinner.

Can we try blaming the loss on lithium batteries, the communist agenda or BPA in the Gatorade bucket while we're at it..?

And while we're at it... Who's Guss? Sounds European.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 am 
NET Starter

It's doubtful that Gus' interview had an impact on the game, since they had a whole week to prepare.

I agree that there need to be a rule change where coaching vacancies shouldn't be filled until after the SuperBowl to give every coordinator an equal opportunity at the job.

And for those of you telling this guy to grow up, you grow up. He has his opinion, it's a team forum. If you have nothing good to add to the discussion but ragging on him, then go elsewhere

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

The NFL cannot nor should not restrict coaching interviews until after the season is over. The reason is that the upcoming draft has to be evaluated with the coach's input as soon as possible. You have the Shrine game and Sr Bowl (plus that scam NFLPA game) that fall on the wrong side of the Superbowl. Sure, you have the regular bowl games where the coach in place may be fired soon afterwards. But the NFL scouts and coaches are at an arm's length, where these bowl games allows your team's personnel people an up and close interaction.

Just because your team is successful shouldn't restrict coaching staff to get an opportunity to move up. Teams have some control in allowing coaches under contract from interviewing. It has been done before, only to fire the coach the next year. I am sure that leads to a healthy interaction among the coaching staff.

Give it a rest is my suggestion.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 am 
NET Bench Warmer

drdiags wrote:
The NFL cannot nor should not restrict coaching interviews until after the season is over. The reason is that the upcoming draft has to be evaluated with the coach's input as soon as possible. You have the Shrine game and Sr Bowl (plus that scam NFLPA game) that fall on the wrong side of the Superbowl. Sure, you have the regular bowl games where the coach in place may be fired soon afterwards. But the NFL scouts and coaches are at an arm's length, where these bowl games allows your team's personnel people an up and close interaction.

Just because your team is successful shouldn't restrict coaching staff to get an opportunity to move up. Teams have some control in allowing coaches under contract from interviewing. It has been done before, only to fire the coach the next year. I am sure that leads to a healthy interaction among the coaching staff.

Give it a rest is my suggestion.

That's good input; question is about 'under contract' I guess with me. I am certainly looking forward to next years version of Hawks D under coach Quinn and I am beyond it- only to this extent.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am 
* NET Shrink *

Recon_Hawk wrote:

Maybe it was his gameplan. The sooner the season is over, the sooner he has a head coaching job. Problem with this argument is that those jobs weren't guaranteed - or were they?

Either way, smart players play smart and if Gus did try to sabotage (which I am not saying he did - this has been a theory tossed around about many coordinators-to-be-head-coaches), I'd expect our smart players, especially secondary, to step up - they did not (see Lions game, Dolphins game).

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm 
NET Veteran

Jerhawk wrote:
I agree that there need to be a rule change where coaching vacancies shouldn't be filled until after the SuperBowl to give every coordinator an equal opportunity at the job.

Might I suggest that you do some research on this subject and come back and present the pros and cons of your suggestion.

The system in place today is considered the best solution because it balances the needs of the team looking to hire a HC with the desire of the Ass't. Coach to get an opportunity at a promotion... and as well, takes into account the needs of the team who currently has the Asst. Coach under contract.

It's not a perfect system but it pretty darn good at the balancing act.

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Another factor that isn't mentioned here is that there are Important college scouting events happening during the playoffs. Most teams have coaches at these events which are crucial to evaluating players for the draft.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am 
NET Starter

onanygivensunday wrote:
Jerhawk wrote:

Might I suggest that you do some research on this subject and come back and present the pros and cons of your suggestion.

The system in place today is considered the best solution because it balances the needs of the team looking to hire a HC with the desire of the Ass't. Coach to get an opportunity at a promotion... and as well, takes into account the needs of the team who currently has the Asst. Coach under contract.

It's not a perfect system but it pretty darn good at the balancing act.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480316-it-benefits-mike-mccoy-gus-bradley-nfl-coordinators-to-lose-in-the-playoffs

This isn't a formal research report, this is an internet forum. But since you want research, I found a source for you. Written January 11th. If you read the above article, it states several examples of how coaches such as Chuck Pogano doesn't feel like he would've been hired as Colts coach if Baltimore wins the AFC Championship last year.

Also, with the headline of the article, how Gus Bradley and Mike McCoy get first dibs at head coacing vacancies since their teams were eliminated.

The system in place is flawed. For one, the lack of minority coaches, while it may not deal with this argument, is one problem. You claim that the system is good.

Coordinators who are on Superbowl teams right now won't get a shot at what would've been other coaching vacancies like the Cardinals or Chargers. If the 49ers were still playing, do you think it's possible that a team wouldn't want their defensive coordinator?

Also in the article, it points out that Bill O'Brian was hired by a college team while he was still O Coordinator of the Pats before the Superbowl last year.

While the BleacherReport isn't a great source, this shows that I'm not the only one who thinks that the system is flawed.

Last edited by Jerhawk on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 am 
NET Starter

Although, to your argument, it is up to the head coach whether or not to allow their coordinators/assts to go on the interview.

Back to the topic of this thread, would it have looked bad on Carroll then to not allow Gus to interview for head coaching vacancies? If this rule were changed for teams to wait until after the SuperBowl to interview coordinators and assts, then the head coach wouldn't feel responsible for keeping his coordinators from getting a coaching job at another team.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am 
NET Starter

FargoHawk wrote:
Another factor that isn't mentioned here is that there are Important college scouting events happening during the playoffs. Most teams have coaches at these events which are crucial to evaluating players for the draft.

The Senior Bowl is played on January 26th. Outside of this, what other major scouting events are there that occur during the playoffs?

The Scouting Combine isn't until the end of February. There's plenty of game tape of college prospects and scouts that have been with the team all season looking at who to draft. Pushing back the date to hire a head coach by a few weeks wouldn't interfere with these events.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]