Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm
  • And the "if Tannehill wasn't available they'd go with Moore arguement...." is MADDENING. Ireland and Philbin had a pretty good idea who was going where..it's their job to do that. It's the chance you take, you know, kinda how PC had to calm JS down so he wouldn't take Wilson in round 2.

    FFS...
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Flynn knows our system, were going for it this next year, Wilsons salary low versus Flynns salary still ranks us as a low cost team for QB's. English has stated you can't win a Super Bowl unless you have a top 10 pick at QB in this leage, now he is saying a qualified back up isn't necessary. Dolphins would say shame on you, 49ers had Monatan and Young, I guess that was a waste of cap money also and never paid off. Jeez what would have heppened if Pittsburgh would have had a actual legitimate QB to fill in for Ben when he got hurt this year. A tem in a serious contention position doesn't need a grooming QB, they need someone that can manage and not lose games and have the tools to win if necessary.

    English has a lot of good information, I just beleive he has a under appreciation in some cases of QB's and a over confidence on the media declaring others sure fire.

    I don't believe, even slightly, that we're still a Super Bowl team if Matt Flynn is our QB. So why keep him? A top QB being essential has nothing to do with having an above average backup. If your starter goes down, your season is in trouble, and that'd be the same whether or not we're rolling out Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson next year.

    I'm 100% in the cut him if you can't trade him camp. We can find someone for cheap to backup Russ and better use that money. Flynn and Russell are very different players, so it's not like we're looking at some sort of smooth transition if we need to call Matt in.


    Well how well did Green Bay do after Majik man was down, Schieder I'm sure is aware of that situation.

    Brunell was there in the event of a injury till the heir was established and the market was ready for him, I see Flynn as the same way. Flynn has shown flashes of being able to win games, has the respect of his team mates and can manage games.

    This isn't MADDEN, value in depth is what got us to where we were this year on defense, just as value at WR, RB, and the O- Line, QB is no different. Going cheap at the most important position is asking for trouble, a season ending injury may put us out of the playoffs, or may give Flynn the opportunity he has been waiting for. A couple game injury at an important time with Flynn holding down the fort may be the difference maker of us getting in or getting home field advantage. Being to only 1 Super Bowl in our history I take the value in the event of something happening. Especially with a QB that runs and takes hits on occation. he could pull a hammy, land wrong, take an extra shot etc, thats in addition to any clean or cheap shots running the ball.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11183
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:And, the market for him last year is entirely irrelevant. Last year was the strongest QB class since 1983 (and the CBA incentivizes drafting one of those). Also, that Manning guy.


    It's hardly irrelevant. You can call it the strongest class since whenever in hindsight. Nobody was saying that beyond Luck/RGIII pre-draft and only two teams had a shot at those two players. Teams like Cleveland preferred to spend a R1 pick on a 29-year-old despite running a WCO that would appear to suit Flynn. No interest at all. His old coach in Miami didn't sign him and was rolling with Matt Moore it seems had Tannehill not made it to their pick at #8. These points are not irrelevant. People keep preaching the importance of the position. Here was a big name free agent and his market was cold.

    So yeah... it could be red hot this year. We'll see in two months. But last year is not irrelevant as we ponder whether he'll get a shot somewhere else via trade.


    Signing Matt Flynn wasn't going to save Holmgren's job. He no longer had the leeway to bring in FA QB's, because, his misses there already had the wagons circling.

    Last I checked Philbin had Tannehill's HC as OC. They we're in a rebuilding year. The new CBA actually made it a smarter move to draft Tannehill. I knew before all this that the Dolphins were never going to sign Matt Flynn. I guess Jason Cole never reported it, so you wouldn't have known, but it was obvious to ANYONE reading between the lines it wasn't going to happen, it was never going to happen in Miami. They needed. their TJack, non-threatening bridge type...ya know...Moore. It would've been FLAT DUMB.

    The Miami argument is just ignorant or the real world.


    Not to start a fight here, but I have 2 things to rebuttal here;

    1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.

    2) Now debating everybody knew Miami had no real interest, that leaves SEA as the only team to show even mild interest in Flynn, including letting him walk without an offer. So, I'm not sure how this strengthens an argument for how valuable Flynn is.

    I am of the mindset that actions speak louder than words, and so far the NFL's actions have shown that Flynn was a 7th rounder and has had minimal interest in the trade market as well as FA. That's based off the reality of what has happened, so far. Does this mean Flynn sucks? Of course not. He could be a successful QB for all we know. But, as of right now, nobody is banging the table for him, which speaks volumes about his perceived value amongst those who get paid to make these types of decisions.
    Mtjhoyas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 315
    Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm
  • I disagree, Chris, I think Flynn's going to be gone. The Seahawks have built a VERY nice reputation with players by doing right by them. Flynn wants to start, they'll do right by him. This tweet was a lure fished out by either JS or Flynn's representation, to do right by him.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm
  • Has anyone (Jason Cole) thought about the possibilty of Flynn restructuring? Im in the thinking that Flynn's contract isnt backbreaking and so what if he makes more than #3? R Wilson CAN'T get paid until his rookie deal is over and thats not anyone's fault. During a 16 game season there's a great chance your backup will see playing time. Would you want a rookie or Matt Flynn?
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3513
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm
  • Lets see, Irvin was a reach by all the experts, Russell a career back up and could not play at the NFL level, Sherman to big, Lynch a problem, Clemons a throw in player, Brock over the hill, I'm pretty sure all those experts could take a few lessons in evaluations from Schineider and Pete.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11183
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm
  • Mtjhoyas wrote:Not to start a fight here, but I have 2 things to rebuttal here;

    1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.


    Hmm, how did Pete know Russell Wilson would be available in round 3, when JS wanted him in round 2?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm
  • This is all just a bunch of hubbaballu.

    No reason to cut flynn at this point in time
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9703
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Signing Matt Flynn wasn't going to save Holmgren's job. He no longer had the leeway to bring in FA QB's, because, his misses there already had the wagons circling.

    Last I checked Philbin had Tannehill's HC as OC. They we're in a rebuilding year. The new CBA actually made it a smarter move to draft Tannehill. I knew before all this that the Dolphins were never going to sign Matt Flynn. I guess Jason Cole never reported it, so you wouldn't have known, but it was obvious to ANYONE reading between the lines it wasn't going to happen, it was never going to happen in Miami. They needed. their TJack, non-threatening bridge type...ya know...Moore. It would've been FLAT DUMB.

    The Miami argument is just ignorant or the real world.



    Just excuses.

    "They didn't sign him because it was a crescent moon that night"

    But I'm pleased for you that you knew Miami's plans last off-season.


    bellingerga wrote:Not that surprising? I think you and I live on two different planets, not in two different countries.

    Surprises the hell out of me when you could get an awesome trade value out of him.

    Hold on to Flynn till some team starts panicking that they haven't found the right QB yet, then get some good value.

    Cutting him? Nope. That makes no sense to me and would be a huge surprise.


    Awesome trade value? You might be in for a shock unfortunately. Just my take. Same planet.

    HawkWow wrote:People call Flynn "a career back-up" like he went from team to team, never able to secure a starting slot no matter how badly those teams expected him to start. How many QBs in this league would beat out Rodgers? After Brady's most recent performance, I'd say the answer to that question is... zero.

    Now, how many QBs in this league could beat out Wilson? I'm sure he's better today than he was when named the starter, but how much better? Obviously JS and PC saw something in Wilson....and they were obviously correct.

    The majority of posters in here have proclaimed there is not one QB in the league they would trade RW for. I am probably in that camp as well.

    So, what we know about Flynn is that he has excelled when called upon (vs. NE and Detroit) and got beat out in Seattle's camp by what many apparently believe to be the best QB in the world. I'm not saying Flynn's worthy of a 1st rounder, but I do believe an asterisk belongs next to the description of "career back-up". YMMV.


    We can use an asterisk if you want, but he is a career back-up. It's not an unfair description given he's been a back-up for his whole NFL career so far.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8049
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Mtjhoyas wrote:Not to start a fight here, but I have 2 things to rebuttal here;

    1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.


    Hmm, how did Pete know Russell Wilson would be available in round 3, when JS wanted him in round 2?


    Huh? I'm confused what this has to do with Flynn. I don't think Pete knew, he just took a calculated risk by waiting until R3. Nobody knows exactly where guys will be drafted. They trust their evaluations and whatever info they can dig up and make calculated risks/gambles/decisions (by either drafting early or waiting as long as they are comfortable).
    Mtjhoyas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 315
    Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 pm
  • No one believed Flynn was going to Miami. You're doing the same thing you ripped Kiper for in his first mock; assigning a body to fill a perceived void without understanding the totality of the situation. Its not excuses, it's reality.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Signing Matt Flynn wasn't going to save Holmgren's job. He no longer had the leeway to bring in FA QB's, because, his misses there already had the wagons circling.

    Last I checked Philbin had Tannehill's HC as OC. They we're in a rebuilding year. The new CBA actually made it a smarter move to draft Tannehill. I knew before all this that the Dolphins were never going to sign Matt Flynn. I guess Jason Cole never reported it, so you wouldn't have known, but it was obvious to ANYONE reading between the lines it wasn't going to happen, it was never going to happen in Miami. They needed. their TJack, non-threatening bridge type...ya know...Moore. It would've been FLAT DUMB.

    The Miami argument is just ignorant or the real world.



    Just excuses.

    "They didn't sign him because it was a crescent moon that night"

    But I'm pleased for you that you knew Miami's plans last off-season.


    bellingerga wrote:Not that surprising? I think you and I live on two different planets, not in two different countries.

    Surprises the hell out of me when you could get an awesome trade value out of him.

    Hold on to Flynn till some team starts panicking that they haven't found the right QB yet, then get some good value.

    Cutting him? Nope. That makes no sense to me and would be a huge surprise.


    Awesome trade value? You might be in for a shock unfortunately. Just my take. Same planet.

    HawkWow wrote:People call Flynn "a career back-up" like he went from team to team, never able to secure a starting slot no matter how badly those teams expected him to start. How many QBs in this league would beat out Rodgers? After Brady's most recent performance, I'd say the answer to that question is... zero.

    Now, how many QBs in this league could beat out Wilson? I'm sure he's better today than he was when named the starter, but how much better? Obviously JS and PC saw something in Wilson....and they were obviously correct.

    The majority of posters in here have proclaimed there is not one QB in the league they would trade RW for. I am probably in that camp as well.

    So, what we know about Flynn is that he has excelled when called upon (vs. NE and Detroit) and got beat out in Seattle's camp by what many apparently believe to be the best QB in the world. I'm not saying Flynn's worthy of a 1st rounder, but I do believe an asterisk belongs next to the description of "career back-up". YMMV.


    We can use an asterisk if you want, but he is a career back-up. It's not an unfair description given he's been a back-up for his whole NFL career so far.


    Not to be argumentive, but "back up", in this context is just a bit too generic. Steve Young backed up Joe Montana. Because both Flynn and Young were back ups, can we assume Matt Flynn is probably about as good as Steve Young?
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5649
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I disagree, Chris, I think Flynn's going to be gone. The Seahawks have built a VERY nice reputation with players by doing right by them. Flynn wants to start, they'll do right by him. This tweet was a lure fished out by either JS or Flynn's representation, to do right by him.


    He very well could be, that would open the door for another Vet I am thinking that has a good understanding of what we do here, Hass, TJack, are the two off the top of my head right away. We don't go with a unknown I am pretty sure. It's too important in the 4 year plan. Besides we have seen how they have cycled thru QB's here until Wilson, stability is going to be important to a large degree even while your competing at the different positions. I can't see how the QB is an open challange anymore though. Even in a trade if Hass was to come he would know that it was as a back up out of the gate. ( Trade for Flynn not Hass) Best place for a straight trade would be Jacksonville for Henne I would think. Athletic, Vet, seems to have the support of his team mates. Depends on if Bradley is sold on him or not.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11183
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm
  • Mtjhoyas wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    Mtjhoyas wrote:Not to start a fight here, but I have 2 things to rebuttal here;

    1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.


    Hmm, how did Pete know Russell Wilson would be available in round 3, when JS wanted him in round 2?


    Huh? I'm confused what this has to do with Flynn. I don't think Pete knew, he just took a calculated risk by waiting until R3. Nobody knows exactly where guys will be drafted. They trust their evaluations and whatever info they can dig up and make calculated risks/gambles/decisions (by either drafting early or waiting as long as they are comfortable).


    So, it's not possible Ireland and Philbin took a calculated risk (a much easier one consider it was the 8th pick)? Or, is Pete the only one with those abilities?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 pm
  • Assuming he wants to be traded, they may well redo his contract to be more cap friendly.
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1886
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Flynn knows our system, were going for it this next year, Wilsons salary low versus Flynns salary still ranks us as a low cost team for QB's. English has stated you can't win a Super Bowl unless you have a top 10 pick at QB in this leage, now he is saying a qualified back up isn't necessary. Dolphins would say shame on you, 49ers had Monatan and Young, I guess that was a waste of cap money also and never paid off. Jeez what would have heppened if Pittsburgh would have had a actual legitimate QB to fill in for Ben when he got hurt this year. A tem in a serious contention position doesn't need a grooming QB, they need someone that can manage and not lose games and have the tools to win if necessary.

    English has a lot of good information, I just beleive he has a under appreciation in some cases of QB's and a over confidence on the media declaring others sure fire.

    I don't believe, even slightly, that we're still a Super Bowl team if Matt Flynn is our QB. So why keep him? A top QB being essential has nothing to do with having an above average backup. If your starter goes down, your season is in trouble, and that'd be the same whether or not we're rolling out Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson next year.

    I'm 100% in the cut him if you can't trade him camp. We can find someone for cheap to backup Russ and better use that money. Flynn and Russell are very different players, so it's not like we're looking at some sort of smooth transition if we need to call Matt in.


    Well how well did Green Bay do after Majik man was down, Schieder I'm sure is aware of that situation.

    Brunell was there in the event of a injury till the heir was established and the market was ready for him, I see Flynn as the same way. Flynn has shown flashes of being able to win games, has the respect of his team mates and can manage games.

    This isn't MADDEN, value in depth is what got us to where we were this year on defense, just as value at WR, RB, and the O- Line, QB is no different. Going cheap at the most important position is asking for trouble, a season ending injury may put us out of the playoffs, or may give Flynn the opportunity he has been waiting for. A couple game injury at an important time with Flynn holding down the fort may be the difference maker of us getting in or getting home field advantage. Being to only 1 Super Bowl in our history I take the value in the event of something happening. Especially with a QB that runs and takes hits on occation. he could pull a hammy, land wrong, take an extra shot etc, thats in addition to any clean or cheap shots running the ball.


    QB is very different in how valuable depth is. You don't rotate out QBs like you do other positions nor do injuries play as big of a role. I'm not saying just sign Josh Portis to hang back there, find somebody who can come in and not lose a game for cheaper. If you assume Matt Flynn is some franchise Super Bowl QB hampered by bad luck, fine, I don't. I think if Russell suffers a big injury, we're screwed. Flynn isn't coming in and taking us to the promised land. We wouldn't be going cheap, we'd be finding a better way to use our cap dollars on a team that needs to really be planning for hitting a huge wall when all of our cheap late round hits turn into guys who want to get paid like stars. Every dollar counts, and Flynn is poor value for what he costs in relation to what he brings to the team, which so far, has been just about nothing. What other contending team is going to overpay a backup QB "just in case"? Russell's super cheap deal might make that a luxury we can afford, but it doesn't make it a smart value move when taken in the context of the entire 53-man roster.

    Flynn comes in, we need to run a very different offense. Let's get a QB where that won't be the case and pay him significantly less.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:13 pm
  • Happypuppy wrote:Assuming he wants to be traded, they may well redo his contract to be more cap friendly.


    I agree. And to those that think he should be cut...and is no better than a career back-up, why would he even want to be traded? Hell, if I were as terrible as some seem to think Matt Flynn is, I'd just shut up and call coin tosses at $4,000,000 per year.

    We need a QB that can step in should RW go down. I sincerely believe Flynn is more than capable and hopefully he will consider a reduction in pay. I won't lose sight of the fact that we are never more than 1 play away from being the Cleveland Browns.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5649
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 pm
  • Dump him, money saved for Okung and Thomas later is more important than spending on a reserve and we have needs to address that should take precedent before thinking about backup QB. Any move that keeps our legit core starters is preferable to spending cap space and resources for a reserve.

    A good backup is needed, but Flynn isn't making backup money.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    User avatar
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1797
    Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:22 pm
  • Happypuppy wrote:Assuming he wants to be traded, they may well redo his contract to be more cap friendly.



    :13:
    GoHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 489
    Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:24 pm
  • pehawk wrote:No one believed Flynn was going to Miami. You're doing the same thing you ripped Kiper for in his first mock; assigning a body to fill a perceived void without understanding the totality of the situation. Its not excuses, it's reality.



    "No one believed Flynn was going to Miami"

    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8049
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:I won't lose sight of the fact that we are never more than 1 play away from being the Cleveland Browns.


    And Flynn stops us being the Browns?

    I don't even know who Atlanta's back-up is for Matt Ryan.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8049
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm
  • Any vet brought in is going to cost you a couple million, then you have the ramp up time. Our offense will lose the read option with someone like Flynn, then again it may with TJack also since he doesn't process information quickly.

    Obviously none of you know who Earl Morrow was, or Don Strock. What about Dave Kreig in Detroit the year they had Woodley go down. Doesn't happen often but a capable back up I think is important and can help you. Then there is Frank Reich in Buffalo as well.

    Until the recent bargaining agreement Flynn would have been an expense we could not afford, we are not strapped for cash and his deal isn't long term. Just feel that we are not up against any wall and until there is a new guy to step in we don't have a viable option really anyway.

    With all the coaching changes there will be some vets let go, many of you all wanted Kolb, maybe he comes here after getting cut in Arizona. Maybe we take a flyer on Vince Young now that he has had a chance to be out of football and maybe has come back to earth some. I don't like either one but they were targets some wanted here. If we get one in camp and showcase Flynn or someone makes overtures then maybe we can expedite his learning curve. Wilson is going to get the Vet treatment I think next year and just be a showcase.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11183
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:No one believed Flynn was going to Miami. You're doing the same thing you ripped Kiper for in his first mock; assigning a body to fill a perceived void without understanding the totality of the situation. Its not excuses, it's reality.



    "No one believed Flynn was going to Miami"

    :lol: :lol: :lol:


    Well, I guess if you listened to John Clayton or Chris Mortenson, Mario Williams was going to go to Seattle or Atlanta. Same thing and same reality...foolhardy assesments.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm
  • No way we'd cut him. They will either keep him because it's very useful to have his skills in a backup quarterback or they will trade him for other players and/or draft picks and no less.
    User avatar
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2242
    Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:54 pm
  • While Seattle has told QB Matt Flynn they are willing to trade him, finding trade partner is problematic because several expect he'll be cut


    Cutting Flynn in 2014 is an option. But 2013? ....... I doubt Jason Cole looked at Flynn's contract before twitting his response.

    $7.25m is Flynn's scheduled cap cost for 2013. $2m of that is the prorated signing bonus cap hit for 2013 which is charged against the cap regardless of Flynn's roster status. The actual 2013 cap saving available thru cutting Flynn out right would be only $5.25m salary - $4m guarantee = $1.25 million savings.

    That would get eaten up by a backup's contract. Also, there would be an additional $2 million (pro rated signing bonus) in dead cap money charged against the 2014 cap.

    Unless of course the 2014 dead cap charge is excellerated into 2013 .... which would raise the cap hit from $7.25m to $8 million.

    I wonder if there is a quarterback prospect out there willing to pay $.75 million to compete for a roster spot? LOL
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3617
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm
  • I'm not trusting anyone with a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge in their Twitter default for accurate news on the Seahawks.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3901
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm
  • This argument is way simpler than you're all making it. It simply comes down to what you rather spend your money on. Re-signing players like Okung, Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, etc. Or your backup qb.

    You're more than welcome to choose backup qb. But you're dead wrong if you do. I really think some of you guys are vastly underestimating just how important cap health and frugality is if you want to keep this young core together. You want to risk one of those guys for a backup qb that doesn't fit your offensive indentity? I'm glad you aren't running this franchise.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4639
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 pm
  • Why is this board constantly preparing for the worst? What has Matt Flynn proven to you that he can run the offense we are going to implement?

    Take the cap space, get rid of Flynnobody and either draft someone with one of our 1000 picks and pick up a guy or two in FA.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7952
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 pm
  • Ditto on the last 2 posts.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 14711
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 pm
  • IIRC: Flynn gets 2mil out of the 5mil, guaranteed. So the savings is only 3mil. Now consider how much we would have to pay for a competent backup, and it's no great savings in cutting Flynn.

    Maybe we could trade him for Carson Palmer? :twisted:
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 5573
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:22 pm
  • I'm sure that those that figure if your not starting you should be paid minimum wage, and if you screw up you should be cut are great Management types.

    There is a list of Free Agents or possible cuts, Vick probably fits our system best and will only cost 15 million, we should go for him, because if the glove fits you must take the cap hit.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11183
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 pm
  • The only way Flynn is gone is if we get value for him 2nd or 3rd round pick IMO. There is zero percent chance we cut him, zero.

    We've already invested a lot in him, and a capable back up that we would feel comfortable in would cost 2 MM a year anyways. Flynn will have value, and if not, then he will next off season. Let me ask you a question, if we didn't have Wilson, and we still had Tavaris, what would you give up for Flynn who's locked up for 2 more years at a reasonable starter salary? People still have the GB vs Det and GB vs NE tape that we all once drooled over. However, if by some slight chance we weren't able to get the value that JS mentioned this off-season, then we would certainly keep him. By cutting him you are admitting that you saw wrong in him, and that it was a mistake- signing Flynn wasn't a mistake..PC and JS rarely make them.
    Image

    "We all we got, we all we need"
    User avatar
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1457
    Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 pm
  • [quote=theenglishseahawk]
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:What a half ass tweet. I don't buy it. We trade him or hold onto him.


    If you were expecting a diatribe there's a 140 character limit...

    [/quote]

    You managed to say nothing of value within 140 characters as well. Congratulations.

    I work in social media, I am obviously aware of the character limit.

    I think Cole could have at the very least said 'per sources', or supply a link to a blog post that actually says something to back his tweet. Is cole a legit source?
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 pm
  • Free Agents and 2012 Salarys off of Google Search


    Brian Hoyer – ARI - Tainted, has been touched by Arizona and actually looked better then what they had there in Skelton and Lindley I thnk his name is.1.927 million USD (2012)
    Luke McCown – ATL - One of the McCowns, serviceable but can't hold a job 825,000 USD (2012)
    Joe Flacco – BAL - He's not Elite, Brady said so........ No chance this guy goes anywhere. 4.61 million USD (2012)
    Tarvaris Jackson – BUF - Knows our offense but has limitations. 4 million USD (2012)
    Tyler Thigpen – BUF - If Buffalo drafts another QB then could be the odd man out also. 2.5 million USD (2012)
    Derek Anderson – CAR - Going to Cleveland possibly..... Again 825,000 USD (2012)
    Jason Campbell – CHI - Here's a possibility, mobile , strong Arm, but when cold icey and not enough Hot. Could be intrigueing though if we think we know whats wrong with him or can limit his chances to make mistakes .1.5 million USD (2012)
    Josh McCown – CHI - One of the McCowns, serviceable but can't hold a job Salary: 825,000 USD (2012)
    Bruce Gradkowski – CIN - I like this guy, smart savvy and finds a way to win, mobile enough to get out of trouble 1.8 million USD (2012)
    Drew Stanton – IND - Who? 1.25 million USD for last year.
    Brady Quinn – KC - Actually did a lot with very little time behind center, still not a fit for us. 1.5 million USD (2012)
    Pat Devlin – MIA – umm undrafted and on Dolphins roster, scout team guy I would have to think. (Ex) 390,000 USD (2012)
    Matt Moore – MIA He's back up and wants to start, would not be happy here, same situation were in with Flynn. 2.5 million USD (2012)
    Chase Daniel – NO seen him step in for Brees and he looked good, doubt they let him go easily. He's a bargain based on other salries and they can afford to pay him a bit.700,000 USD (2012)
    David Carr – NYG Just not what he was, beat up to much and read option I think is the last thing we would want to see him do now.925,000 USD (2012)
    Matt Leinart – OAK He thinks he is still good enough to start, made several comments last year as he would possibly be there in case Palmer falters or gets hurt. Then sucked when he got a chance. He gets paid well though.3 million USD (2012)
    Charlie Batch – PIT His best days are in the past I'm afarid for a new start. 925,000 USD (2012
    Byron Leftwich – PIT Often injured and not someone I think fits our needs either.825,000 USD (2012)
    Kellen Clemens – STL He doesn't stink it up, he's too short though :) 6-2 Weight: 220 just remember that when he was drafted, not ideal height. 700,000 USD (2012)
    Rex Grossman – WAS Pocket passer and the Hot and Cold is the same issue with him. 1.3 million USD (2012)

    Everyone else is on the scrap heap for one reason or another, I don't think any of them can help except Vince Young if he had his head straght, seems he could not even make it in Buffalo and that says something.



    Vince Young – FA
    Sage Rosenfels – FA
    Seneca Wallace – FA
    Donovan McNabb – FA
    A.J. Feeley – FA
    Troy Smith – FA
    Chris Redman – FA
    John Beck – FA
    Stephen McGee – FA
    Jordan Palmer – FA
    J.P. Loseman – FA


    At some point I would like to look at the rosters and see who the cut targets are going to be. Hass and Fitzpatrick, Vick, Tebow are a few possibles. But need to look deeper.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11183
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 pm
  • You guys over-value Flynn. We started a rookie with a 1/10th of the offense for 8 games of this season over him. Just because RW turned out to be an incredible stud doesn't mean that at one point Matt Flynn wasn't sitting on the bench behind a 3rd round 5'10" rookie.

    I'll happily cut Flynn, pick up a 4/5th round QB, pay him the minimum and have an as-competent backup.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7952
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 am
  • I'm not worried about this situation. Seattle doesn't have to trade Flynn any time soon. The start of FA (and trade) is still 2 months away, and as that unfolds we'll see teams evaluating their options. Flynn's contract isn't bad by starter standards, and if he was a free agent he'd be the best quarterback on the open market. He's probably a better QB than several current NFL starters. This isn't perceived as a great draft for QBs. And you have desperate GMs/coaches out there.

    All it takes is one bidder and suddenly the "Seattle's going to cut Flynn attitude" goes out the window. I would be pretty surprised if at least one team didn't offer a can of peanuts for Flynn by the end of August. And when that happens and teams realize that Flynn's not going to be a UFA, you might even have a mini bidding war for him. Flynn might be open to restructure and Seattle can always get a little creative with their trade demands (like they did for trading Kelly Jennings).

    Bottom line, I'd be very surprised if Seattle got a ton for Flynn. I think a mid round pick or a draft pick swap might be the best case scenario. Whatever happens, releasing Flynn doesn't really make a lot of sense, not this year. Flynn is going to be a better 2013 backup than any rookie QB Seattle drafts this year. He's the kind of QB that can come in and keep the Seahawks alive if Wilson has to miss a few games from injury.

    My prediction is that Seattle deals him for minor compensation sometime in late March.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11195
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I think Cole could have at the very least said 'per sources', or supply a link to a blog post that actually says something to back his tweet. Is cole a legit source?


    So the difference between you accepting this tweet and not was the lack of 'per sources' in his 140 character limit?
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8049
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 am
  • I'm with kearly here. I think the team ends up "TJacking" Flynn, the Hawks get a 5th rounder or so before draft time, and head into the draft with 11 picks instead of 10 and without Flynn's contract hanging over their heads. They draft a guy like Matt Scott to come in and hold a clipboard for peanuts for the foreseeable future and EVERYONE (.Net, Flynn, his hot girlfriend, his parents, JS, PC, etc.) goes home happy. Flynn talks up how great it was to be a member of such a class organization, JS and PC talk about how great of a backup Flynn was, and people will look back on 1/23/2014 as we prepare for the Super Bowl and think "remember when Matt Flynn was a major subject at the beginning of the offseason?!" and we'll all laugh about it.

    The End. Fin. :th2thumbs:
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1414
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 am
  • lukerguy wrote:Let me ask you a question, if we didn't have Wilson, and we still had Tavaris, what would you give up for Flynn who's locked up for 2 more years at a reasonable starter salary?


    Nothing.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8163
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:53 am
  • I find this whole thread pretty funny, English is just carrying forward his angst for Flynn. His posted opinion of Flynn before we signed him was he has a weak arm, isn't mobile and has done nothing to show he is any good at all. If you believe English, Flynn in the Detroit and NE games simply took the snap, stepped back and hucked the ball as far as he could (15 yards) and that amazing receiving core in GB did the rest.

    Remember this is the guy that was willing to bet his house that Seattle had no interest in Flynn. Kind of speaks volumes of why he is now trying to suggest again that Flynn sucks and there is no market for the guy and never was.

    Is it possible that no market develops for Flynn? Sure but using last year as a reference for that while ignoring both markets is beyond dumb. This is much more in the mind set of hoping there is no market so for even a short time he looks like he was right about Flynn to begin with. I guess there is no possible way we are ever going to get something for Jackson at 4 million a year either.

    I get more the feeling that the FO might have made a promise to Flynn to keep him happy last season and if they do release him before the 4th week of next season, there is nothing that will change my mind on that. We paid Jackson and Whitehurst 4 Million a year and we are in better cap position now than then. Cutting Flynn to pay another back up 4 mil, unless you as a FO believe you wouldn't be hurting the position is not smart and when you consider that this FO traded alot for Whitehurst and then signed Jackson, you have to question if they themselves believe they can just go grab any old back up.

    For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls. There are also starters that were backup quality that did. It isn't just about a major injury either. If your starter gets nicked up for a week or 6 you want a guy that can keep your team in the win column. When playoff seeding happens that can make a huge difference in home field or playing at Fedex field again.

    Even if no real market surfaces for Flynn in the off season you still hang onto him (assuming you haven't committed to releasing him before hand) and wait to see who gets injured next year. Did anyone think the Bengals would get up to 2 first rounders for Palmer?

    Again this thread isn't about whether Flynn is starter quality or even worth the money he is scheduled to make. It's about the guy who has been committed to discrediting Flynn since before he was a Seahawk. Anyone surprised who created the thread to begin with? I'm not.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3026
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:
    For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls. There are also starters that were backup quality that did. It isn't just about a major injury either. If your starter gets nicked up for a week or 6 you want a guy that can keep your team in the win column. When playoff seeding happens that can make a huge difference in home field or playing at Fedex field again.


    A ton?

    Name them. I'll even spot you two: Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams.

    Who are the rest that make up this "ton"?
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8163
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 am
  • Hansen brought back the Sonics... and Pete's bringing back TJack

    SEATTLE'S GLORY YEARS ARE COMING NEXT NBA & NFL SEASONS!!!
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19204
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:I find this whole thread pretty funny, English is just carrying forward his angst for Flynn. His posted opinion of Flynn before we signed him was he has a weak arm, isn't mobile and has done nothing to show he is any good at all. If you believe English, Flynn in the Detroit and NE games simply took the snap, stepped back and hucked the ball as far as he could (15 yards) and that amazing receiving core in GB did the rest.

    Remember this is the guy that was willing to bet his house that Seattle had no interest in Flynn. Kind of speaks volumes of why he is now trying to suggest again that Flynn sucks and there is no market for the guy and never was.

    Is it possible that no market develops for Flynn? Sure but using last year as a reference for that while ignoring both markets is beyond dumb. This is much more in the mind set of hoping there is no market so for even a short time he looks like he was right about Flynn to begin with. I guess there is no possible way we are ever going to get something for Jackson at 4 million a year either.

    I get more the feeling that the FO might have made a promise to Flynn to keep him happy last season and if they do release him before the 4th week of next season, there is nothing that will change my mind on that. We paid Jackson and Whitehurst 4 Million a year and we are in better cap position now than then. Cutting Flynn to pay another back up 4 mil, unless you as a FO believe you wouldn't be hurting the position is not smart and when you consider that this FO traded alot for Whitehurst and then signed Jackson, you have to question if they themselves believe they can just go grab any old back up.

    For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls. There are also starters that were backup quality that did. It isn't just about a major injury either. If your starter gets nicked up for a week or 6 you want a guy that can keep your team in the win column. When playoff seeding happens that can make a huge difference in home field or playing at Fedex field again.

    Even if no real market surfaces for Flynn in the off season you still hang onto him (assuming you haven't committed to releasing him before hand) and wait to see who gets injured next year. Did anyone think the Bengals would get up to 2 first rounders for Palmer?

    Again this thread isn't about whether Flynn is starter quality or even worth the money he is scheduled to make. It's about the guy who has been committed to discrediting Flynn since before he was a Seahawk. Anyone surprised who created the thread to begin with? I'm not.



    Yes I told Jason Cole to put the tweet out there. We're in cahoots. It's to aid my agenda to prove to the world that Matt Flynn is a weak armed quarterback.

    Image
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8049
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:IIRC: Flynn gets 2mil out of the 5mil, guaranteed. So the savings is only 3mil. Now consider how much we would have to pay for a competent backup, and it's no great savings in cutting Flynn.

    Maybe we could trade him for Carson Palmer? :twisted:

    Now there is a guy who will probably be released.

    My take on this whole thread: Last year is not this year. Kolb was rumored to move for two years before he did get traded.

    Miami was so hot and heavy for Manning last year, before we forget. In fact, Miami was shocked he went elsewhere. Flynn would have been a pretty big letdown after that. I think English and I were shocked Seattle even cared one bit for Flynn, he simply doesn't fit their biggish arm/mobile template. Miami had just let Matt Moore go, Flynn is just a slightly better Moore. IMO, before the 480/6 crew gets pissed at me.

    Manning was the wildcard last year, it's hard to settle for lime rickeys when you were all set for margaritas. The pursuit of Manning had Alex Smith almost out of a job, Kolb on the verge of release, Pete and John waiting on the Denver tarmac, Tennessee on the verge of a new civil war, and a half dozen teams we never heard of probably lining up for lotto tickets. Miami though they had him for sure, partly because Manning leveraged them for more cash.

    Jason Cole is a troll. Just go read his yahoo archive if you have the stomach. He fancies himself an insider, I bet Doub has as many inside sources (say 3). The market isn't even open yet, so speculation is unwarranted unless Flynn has a big roster bonus like Kolb coming up. Which he doesn't. The QB market is going to be more packed this year, too many new GMs and head coaches. The aisles are going to be more bare this year, there are potentially 3 or 4 first rounders. All with questions. The free agent market is going to be drier.

    The hidden truth in here is this: Matt Flynn will not be a Seahawk for the 2013 season. I will guarantee it. My guarantee is worth precisely dick. I know 2 things, our front office is open to talks, and Flynn is desperate to start in the NFL. Flynn wants to be in Seattle next year about as much as Jim Harbaugh. Pete and John will accomodate his wish. If they have to cut him, they will.
    I am going one farther, I think Flynn is going to Jacksonville for a 5th. Jacksonville is still stinging from a 1st round miss with the hippie QB, and a flirtation with Chad Henne opened their eyes about needing a superior athlete at QB. I think Bradley is going to do the usual NFL routine of filling your luggage with familiar items. His GM may be the real boss down there, but they didn't hire him because his philosophy of strong D, game manager QB is outdated.

    See, I can be just like Jason Cole when I put my mind to it.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11211
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:18 am
  • RichNhansom wrote: Cutting Flynn to pay another back up 4 mil, unless you as a FO believe you wouldn't be hurting the position is not smart and when you consider that this FO traded alot for Whitehurst and then signed Jackson, you have to question if they themselves believe they can just go grab any old back up.

    For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls.


    I doubt they'd cut Flynn and bring in a similarly priced FA back up. The back up next year will almost certainly be a draft pick or a FA on a much cheaper deal.

    As for back ups winning superbowls: Brady was in just his second season (he passed 3 times for 6 yards as the 4th choice QB on the roster during his first) having been a 6th round pick when he stepped in and took the Pats all the way. It's a pretty far fetched analogy and not one that is likely to be repeated, but I bet there was nobody who thought, when Bledsoe went down, that Brady would have a hope in hell of taking them all the way. He was both cheap and inexperienced, not a seasoned vet on starter money. So Schneider, go find us a Brady!
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1282
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 am
  • I think English is hoping we can trade Flynn for Courtney Upshaw.
    User avatar
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 am
  • If last offseason doesn't satisfy the idea that Flynn is just not that much of a hot commodity in the NFL, try the fact that he's a 28-year-old career backup with a mediocre arm, mediocre mobility, and experience with top receivers in a pure passing system where somebody was almost always open. He has less ceiling than Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton, both of whom went for second-round picks. I'm not even convinced his W-L record would outdo T-Jack's 7-8 from 2011.

    There is absolutely nothing pointing to the idea that some team will be so lustful for Flynn that they'll give up that level of pick, except for people appealing to the stupidity of a GM. For me, that stupidity exists but probably nets us a 4th at absolute best.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11309
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 am
  • I dont appreciate Scott equating his inside source ability to "dick". And, you cant be Cole, because, well, I am already. Oh, and Miami kept Moore, he was on their roster last year (reason 1,345 why Miami never wanted Flynn that English will deny).

    English got taken for London Bridge (British jokes!!!!) here, but thats okay, we still love him.

    One request, from now on can we refer to Matt Flynn as THE Bearded Coly McCoy?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10138
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:LINK: https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/stat ... 2142918656

    "While Seattle has told QB Matt Flynn they are willing to trade him, finding trade partner is problematic because several expect he'll be cut."


    Not that surprising.



    I read that as 'other teams' expect him to be cut so they will be less likely to offer a trade which in turn will make him more likely to be cut. It's a vicious cycle.

    I don't know why the Seahawks would cut him. I believe they have the cap room to keep him around another year. Then they would be able to drop him the following year when they have to start signing all our overperforming low draft picks.
    CornerHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 am


Re: Matt Flynn expected to be cut?
Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 am
  • And people actually thought Matt Flynn was worth as much as a first round pick, lol! I knew this all along, that Flynn doesn't have much (if any) value on the market. He is simply not a proven quarterback. If he had a full season under his belt, where he put up good or at least decent numbers, then we would be talking 3rd or even 2nd round picks.

    We overvalued Matt Flynn, so this kind of news [if he does get cut] really shouldn't be so surprising. Just because we're paying him a starting QB's salary, doesn't make him a valuable asset to other teams around the league. Even to teams that need a QB. They'd rather draft one or pick a proven veteran up.

    Tarvaris Jackson is actually worth more than Flynn.

    QB's are not exactly a dime a dozen though, so I can see why a lot of people put more value on Flynn than he is actually worth. Kinda funny how things work out, sometimes...
    ~ The Stache'
    User avatar
    Zowert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1990
    Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm
    Location: Seattle


PreviousNext


It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information