Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm sure that those that figure if your not starting you should be paid minimum wage, and if you screw up you should be cut are great Management types.

There is a list of Free Agents or possible cuts, Vick probably fits our system best and will only cost 15 million, we should go for him, because if the glove fits you must take the cap hit.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The only way Flynn is gone is if we get value for him 2nd or 3rd round pick IMO. There is zero percent chance we cut him, zero.

We've already invested a lot in him, and a capable back up that we would feel comfortable in would cost 2 MM a year anyways. Flynn will have value, and if not, then he will next off season. Let me ask you a question, if we didn't have Wilson, and we still had Tavaris, what would you give up for Flynn who's locked up for 2 more years at a reasonable starter salary? People still have the GB vs Det and GB vs NE tape that we all once drooled over. However, if by some slight chance we weren't able to get the value that JS mentioned this off-season, then we would certainly keep him. By cutting him you are admitting that you saw wrong in him, and that it was a mistake- signing Flynn wasn't a mistake..PC and JS rarely make them.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
theenglishseahawk said:
Coug_Hawk08":2aoykwqc said:
What a half ass tweet. I don't buy it. We trade him or hold onto him.

If you were expecting a diatribe there's a 140 character limit...

You managed to say nothing of value within 140 characters as well. Congratulations.

I work in social media, I am obviously aware of the character limit.

I think Cole could have at the very least said 'per sources', or supply a link to a blog post that actually says something to back his tweet. Is cole a legit source?

chris98251

Reaction score
Free Agents and 2012 Salarys off of Google Search

Brian Hoyer – ARI - Tainted, has been touched by Arizona and actually looked better then what they had there in Skelton and Lindley I thnk his name is.1.927 million USD (2012)
Luke McCown – ATL - One of the McCowns, serviceable but can't hold a job 825,000 USD (2012)
Joe Flacco – BAL - He's not Elite, Brady said so........ No chance this guy goes anywhere. 4.61 million USD (2012)
Tarvaris Jackson – BUF - Knows our offense but has limitations. 4 million USD (2012)
Tyler Thigpen – BUF - If Buffalo drafts another QB then could be the odd man out also. 2.5 million USD (2012)
Derek Anderson – CAR - Going to Cleveland possibly..... Again 825,000 USD (2012)
Jason Campbell – CHI - Here's a possibility, mobile , strong Arm, but when cold icey and not enough Hot. Could be intrigueing though if we think we know whats wrong with him or can limit his chances to make mistakes .1.5 million USD (2012)
Josh McCown – CHI - One of the McCowns, serviceable but can't hold a job Salary: 825,000 USD (2012)
Bruce Gradkowski – CIN - I like this guy, smart savvy and finds a way to win, mobile enough to get out of trouble 1.8 million USD (2012)
Drew Stanton – IND - Who? 1.25 million USD for last year.
Brady Quinn – KC - Actually did a lot with very little time behind center, still not a fit for us. 1.5 million USD (2012)
Pat Devlin – MIA – umm undrafted and on Dolphins roster, scout team guy I would have to think. (Ex) 390,000 USD (2012)
Matt Moore – MIA He's back up and wants to start, would not be happy here, same situation were in with Flynn. 2.5 million USD (2012)
Chase Daniel – NO seen him step in for Brees and he looked good, doubt they let him go easily. He's a bargain based on other salries and they can afford to pay him a bit.700,000 USD (2012)
David Carr – NYG Just not what he was, beat up to much and read option I think is the last thing we would want to see him do now.925,000 USD (2012)
Matt Leinart – OAK He thinks he is still good enough to start, made several comments last year as he would possibly be there in case Palmer falters or gets hurt. Then sucked when he got a chance. He gets paid well though.3 million USD (2012)
Charlie Batch – PIT His best days are in the past I'm afarid for a new start. 925,000 USD (2012
Byron Leftwich – PIT Often injured and not someone I think fits our needs either.825,000 USD (2012)
Kellen Clemens – STL He doesn't stink it up, he's too short though :) 6-2 Weight: 220 just remember that when he was drafted, not ideal height. 700,000 USD (2012)
Rex Grossman – WAS Pocket passer and the Hot and Cold is the same issue with him. 1.3 million USD (2012)

Everyone else is on the scrap heap for one reason or another, I don't think any of them can help except Vince Young if he had his head straght, seems he could not even make it in Buffalo and that says something.

Vince Young – FA
Sage Rosenfels – FA
Seneca Wallace – FA
Donovan McNabb – FA
A.J. Feeley – FA
Troy Smith – FA
Chris Redman – FA
John Beck – FA
Stephen McGee – FA
Jordan Palmer – FA
J.P. Loseman – FA

At some point I would like to look at the rosters and see who the cut targets are going to be. Hass and Fitzpatrick, Vick, Tebow are a few possibles. But need to look deeper.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You guys over-value Flynn. We started a rookie with a 1/10th of the offense for 8 games of this season over him. Just because RW turned out to be an incredible stud doesn't mean that at one point Matt Flynn wasn't sitting on the bench behind a 3rd round 5'10" rookie.

I'll happily cut Flynn, pick up a 4/5th round QB, pay him the minimum and have an as-competent backup.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not worried about this situation. Seattle doesn't have to trade Flynn any time soon. The start of FA (and trade) is still 2 months away, and as that unfolds we'll see teams evaluating their options. Flynn's contract isn't bad by starter standards, and if he was a free agent he'd be the best quarterback on the open market. He's probably a better QB than several current NFL starters. This isn't perceived as a great draft for QBs. And you have desperate GMs/coaches out there.

All it takes is one bidder and suddenly the "Seattle's going to cut Flynn attitude" goes out the window. I would be pretty surprised if at least one team didn't offer a can of peanuts for Flynn by the end of August. And when that happens and teams realize that Flynn's not going to be a UFA, you might even have a mini bidding war for him. Flynn might be open to restructure and Seattle can always get a little creative with their trade demands (like they did for trading Kelly Jennings).

Bottom line, I'd be very surprised if Seattle got a ton for Flynn. I think a mid round pick or a draft pick swap might be the best case scenario. Whatever happens, releasing Flynn doesn't really make a lot of sense, not this year. Flynn is going to be a better 2013 backup than any rookie QB Seattle drafts this year. He's the kind of QB that can come in and keep the Seahawks alive if Wilson has to miss a few games from injury.

My prediction is that Seattle deals him for minor compensation sometime in late March.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":26cdyct4 said:
I think Cole could have at the very least said 'per sources', or supply a link to a blog post that actually says something to back his tweet. Is cole a legit source?

So the difference between you accepting this tweet and not was the lack of 'per sources' in his 140 character limit?

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm with kearly here. I think the team ends up "TJacking" Flynn, the Hawks get a 5th rounder or so before draft time, and head into the draft with 11 picks instead of 10 and without Flynn's contract hanging over their heads. They draft a guy like Matt Scott to come in and hold a clipboard for peanuts for the foreseeable future and EVERYONE (.Net, Flynn, his hot girlfriend, his parents, JS, PC, etc.) goes home happy. Flynn talks up how great it was to be a member of such a class organization, JS and PC talk about how great of a backup Flynn was, and people will look back on 1/23/2014 as we prepare for the Super Bowl and think "remember when Matt Flynn was a major subject at the beginning of the offseason?!" and we'll all laugh about it.

The End. Fin. :th2thumbs:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I find this whole thread pretty funny, English is just carrying forward his angst for Flynn. His posted opinion of Flynn before we signed him was he has a weak arm, isn't mobile and has done nothing to show he is any good at all. If you believe English, Flynn in the Detroit and NE games simply took the snap, stepped back and hucked the ball as far as he could (15 yards) and that amazing receiving core in GB did the rest.

Remember this is the guy that was willing to bet his house that Seattle had no interest in Flynn. Kind of speaks volumes of why he is now trying to suggest again that Flynn sucks and there is no market for the guy and never was.

Is it possible that no market develops for Flynn? Sure but using last year as a reference for that while ignoring both markets is beyond dumb. This is much more in the mind set of hoping there is no market so for even a short time he looks like he was right about Flynn to begin with. I guess there is no possible way we are ever going to get something for Jackson at 4 million a year either.

I get more the feeling that the FO might have made a promise to Flynn to keep him happy last season and if they do release him before the 4th week of next season, there is nothing that will change my mind on that. We paid Jackson and Whitehurst 4 Million a year and we are in better cap position now than then. Cutting Flynn to pay another back up 4 mil, unless you as a FO believe you wouldn't be hurting the position is not smart and when you consider that this FO traded alot for Whitehurst and then signed Jackson, you have to question if they themselves believe they can just go grab any old back up.

For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls. There are also starters that were backup quality that did. It isn't just about a major injury either. If your starter gets nicked up for a week or 6 you want a guy that can keep your team in the win column. When playoff seeding happens that can make a huge difference in home field or playing at Fedex field again.

Even if no real market surfaces for Flynn in the off season you still hang onto him (assuming you haven't committed to releasing him before hand) and wait to see who gets injured next year. Did anyone think the Bengals would get up to 2 first rounders for Palmer?

Again this thread isn't about whether Flynn is starter quality or even worth the money he is scheduled to make. It's about the guy who has been committed to discrediting Flynn since before he was a Seahawk. Anyone surprised who created the thread to begin with? I'm not.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1ocv62v2 said:
For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls. There are also starters that were backup quality that did. It isn't just about a major injury either. If your starter gets nicked up for a week or 6 you want a guy that can keep your team in the win column. When playoff seeding happens that can make a huge difference in home field or playing at Fedex field again.

A ton?

Name them. I'll even spot you two: Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams.

Who are the rest that make up this "ton"?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Hansen brought back the Sonics... and Pete's bringing back TJack

SEATTLE'S GLORY YEARS ARE COMING NEXT NBA & NFL SEASONS!!!

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":inhy3epw said:
I find this whole thread pretty funny, English is just carrying forward his angst for Flynn. His posted opinion of Flynn before we signed him was he has a weak arm, isn't mobile and has done nothing to show he is any good at all. If you believe English, Flynn in the Detroit and NE games simply took the snap, stepped back and hucked the ball as far as he could (15 yards) and that amazing receiving core in GB did the rest.

Remember this is the guy that was willing to bet his house that Seattle had no interest in Flynn. Kind of speaks volumes of why he is now trying to suggest again that Flynn sucks and there is no market for the guy and never was.

Is it possible that no market develops for Flynn? Sure but using last year as a reference for that while ignoring both markets is beyond dumb. This is much more in the mind set of hoping there is no market so for even a short time he looks like he was right about Flynn to begin with. I guess there is no possible way we are ever going to get something for Jackson at 4 million a year either.

I get more the feeling that the FO might have made a promise to Flynn to keep him happy last season and if they do release him before the 4th week of next season, there is nothing that will change my mind on that. We paid Jackson and Whitehurst 4 Million a year and we are in better cap position now than then. Cutting Flynn to pay another back up 4 mil, unless you as a FO believe you wouldn't be hurting the position is not smart and when you consider that this FO traded alot for Whitehurst and then signed Jackson, you have to question if they themselves believe they can just go grab any old back up.

Even if no real market surfaces for Flynn in the off season you still hang onto him (assuming you haven't committed to releasing him before hand) and wait to see who gets injured next year. Did anyone think the Bengals would get up to 2 first rounders for Palmer?

Again this thread isn't about whether Flynn is starter quality or even worth the money he is scheduled to make. It's about the guy who has been committed to discrediting Flynn since before he was a Seahawk. Anyone surprised who created the thread to begin with? I'm not.

Yes I told Jason Cole to put the tweet out there. We're in cahoots. It's to aid my agenda to prove to the world that Matt Flynn is a weak armed quarterback.

Cuckoo2

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2b7ivvsk said:
IIRC: Flynn gets 2mil out of the 5mil, guaranteed. So the savings is only 3mil. Now consider how much we would have to pay for a competent backup, and it's no great savings in cutting Flynn.

Maybe we could trade him for Carson Palmer? :twisted:
Now there is a guy who will probably be released.

My take on this whole thread: Last year is not this year. Kolb was rumored to move for two years before he did get traded.

Miami was so hot and heavy for Manning last year, before we forget. In fact, Miami was shocked he went elsewhere. Flynn would have been a pretty big letdown after that. I think English and I were shocked Seattle even cared one bit for Flynn, he simply doesn't fit their biggish arm/mobile template. Miami had just let Matt Moore go, Flynn is just a slightly better Moore. IMO, before the 480/6 crew gets pissed at me.

Manning was the wildcard last year, it's hard to settle for lime rickeys when you were all set for margaritas. The pursuit of Manning had Alex Smith almost out of a job, Kolb on the verge of release, Pete and John waiting on the Denver tarmac, Tennessee on the verge of a new civil war, and a half dozen teams we never heard of probably lining up for lotto tickets. Miami though they had him for sure, partly because Manning leveraged them for more cash.

Jason Cole is a troll. Just go read his yahoo archive if you have the stomach. He fancies himself an insider, I bet Doub has as many inside sources (say 3). The market isn't even open yet, so speculation is unwarranted unless Flynn has a big roster bonus like Kolb coming up. Which he doesn't. The QB market is going to be more packed this year, too many new GMs and head coaches. The aisles are going to be more bare this year, there are potentially 3 or 4 first rounders. All with questions. The free agent market is going to be drier.

The hidden truth in here is this: Matt Flynn will not be a Seahawk for the 2013 season. I will guarantee it. My guarantee is worth precisely dick. I know 2 things, our front office is open to talks, and Flynn is desperate to start in the NFL. Flynn wants to be in Seattle next year about as much as Jim Harbaugh. Pete and John will accomodate his wish. If they have to cut him, they will.
I am going one farther, I think Flynn is going to Jacksonville for a 5th. Jacksonville is still stinging from a 1st round miss with the hippie QB, and a flirtation with Chad Henne opened their eyes about needing a superior athlete at QB. I think Bradley is going to do the usual NFL routine of filling your luggage with familiar items. His GM may be the real boss down there, but they didn't hire him because his philosophy of strong D, game manager QB is outdated.

See, I can be just like Jason Cole when I put my mind to it.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
RichNhansom":bzx44xpf said:
Cutting Flynn to pay another back up 4 mil, unless you as a FO believe you wouldn't be hurting the position is not smart and when you consider that this FO traded alot for Whitehurst and then signed Jackson, you have to question if they themselves believe they can just go grab any old back up.

For those that say just cut him and draft or grab anyone or that we have no shot at a super bowl with him, go look at history. There are a ton of backups the came in and won super bowls.

I doubt they'd cut Flynn and bring in a similarly priced FA back up. The back up next year will almost certainly be a draft pick or a FA on a much cheaper deal.

As for back ups winning superbowls: Brady was in just his second season (he passed 3 times for 6 yards as the 4th choice QB on the roster during his first) having been a 6th round pick when he stepped in and took the Pats all the way. It's a pretty far fetched analogy and not one that is likely to be repeated, but I bet there was nobody who thought, when Bledsoe went down, that Brady would have a hope in hell of taking them all the way. He was both cheap and inexperienced, not a seasoned vet on starter money. So Schneider, go find us a Brady!

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I think English is hoping we can trade Flynn for Courtney Upshaw.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If last offseason doesn't satisfy the idea that Flynn is just not that much of a hot commodity in the NFL, try the fact that he's a 28-year-old career backup with a mediocre arm, mediocre mobility, and experience with top receivers in a pure passing system where somebody was almost always open. He has less ceiling than Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton, both of whom went for second-round picks. I'm not even convinced his W-L record would outdo T-Jack's 7-8 from 2011.

There is absolutely nothing pointing to the idea that some team will be so lustful for Flynn that they'll give up that level of pick, except for people appealing to the stupidity of a GM. For me, that stupidity exists but probably nets us a 4th at absolute best.

pehawk

Reaction score
I dont appreciate Scott equating his inside source ability to "dick". And, you cant be Cole, because, well, I am already. Oh, and Miami kept Moore, he was on their roster last year (reason 1,345 why Miami never wanted Flynn that English will deny).

English got taken for London Bridge (British jokes!!!!) here, but thats okay, we still love him.

One request, from now on can we refer to Matt Flynn as THE Bearded Coly McCoy?

CornerHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":397057qm said:
LINK: https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/stat ... 2142918656

"While Seattle has told QB Matt Flynn they are willing to trade him, finding trade partner is problematic because several expect he'll be cut."

Not that surprising.

I read that as 'other teams' expect him to be cut so they will be less likely to offer a trade which in turn will make him more likely to be cut. It's a vicious cycle.

I don't know why the Seahawks would cut him. I believe they have the cap room to keep him around another year. Then they would be able to drop him the following year when they have to start signing all our overperforming low draft picks.

Zowert

Reaction score
And people actually thought Matt Flynn was worth as much as a first round pick, lol! I knew this all along, that Flynn doesn't have much (if any) value on the market. He is simply not a proven quarterback. If he had a full season under his belt, where he put up good or at least decent numbers, then we would be talking 3rd or even 2nd round picks.

We overvalued Matt Flynn, so this kind of news [if he does get cut] really shouldn't be so surprising. Just because we're paying him a starting QB's salary, doesn't make him a valuable asset to other teams around the league. Even to teams that need a QB. They'd rather draft one or pick a proven veteran up.

Tarvaris Jackson is actually worth more than Flynn.

QB's are not exactly a dime a dozen though, so I can see why a lot of people put more value on Flynn than he is actually worth. Kinda funny how things work out, sometimes...