Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

pehawk

Reaction score
No one believed Flynn was going to Miami. You're doing the same thing you ripped Kiper for in his first mock; assigning a body to fill a perceived void without understanding the totality of the situation. Its not excuses, it's reality.

HawkWow

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":zv0soz11 said:
pehawk":zv0soz11 said:
Signing Matt Flynn wasn't going to save Holmgren's job. He no longer had the leeway to bring in FA QB's, because, his misses there already had the wagons circling.

Last I checked Philbin had Tannehill's HC as OC. They we're in a rebuilding year. The new CBA actually made it a smarter move to draft Tannehill. I knew before all this that the Dolphins were never going to sign Matt Flynn. I guess Jason Cole never reported it, so you wouldn't have known, but it was obvious to ANYONE reading between the lines it wasn't going to happen, it was never going to happen in Miami. They needed. their TJack, non-threatening bridge type...ya know...Moore. It would've been FLAT DUMB.

The Miami argument is just ignorant or the real world.

Just excuses.

"They didn't sign him because it was a crescent moon that night"

But I'm pleased for you that you knew Miami's plans last off-season.

bellingerga":zv0soz11 said:
Not that surprising? I think you and I live on two different planets, not in two different countries.

Surprises the hell out of me when you could get an awesome trade value out of him.

Hold on to Flynn till some team starts panicking that they haven't found the right QB yet, then get some good value.

Cutting him? Nope. That makes no sense to me and would be a huge surprise.

Awesome trade value? You might be in for a shock unfortunately. Just my take. Same planet.

HawkWow":zv0soz11 said:
People call Flynn "a career back-up" like he went from team to team, never able to secure a starting slot no matter how badly those teams expected him to start. How many QBs in this league would beat out Rodgers? After Brady's most recent performance, I'd say the answer to that question is... zero.

Now, how many QBs in this league could beat out Wilson? I'm sure he's better today than he was when named the starter, but how much better? Obviously JS and PC saw something in Wilson....and they were obviously correct.

The majority of posters in here have proclaimed there is not one QB in the league they would trade RW for. I am probably in that camp as well.

So, what we know about Flynn is that he has excelled when called upon (vs. NE and Detroit) and got beat out in Seattle's camp by what many apparently believe to be the best QB in the world. I'm not saying Flynn's worthy of a 1st rounder, but I do believe an asterisk belongs next to the description of "career back-up". YMMV.

We can use an asterisk if you want, but he is a career back-up. It's not an unfair description given he's been a back-up for his whole NFL career so far.

Not to be argumentive, but "back up", in this context is just a bit too generic. Steve Young backed up Joe Montana. Because both Flynn and Young were back ups, can we assume Matt Flynn is probably about as good as Steve Young?

chris98251

Reaction score
pehawk":33mhdxpo said:
I disagree, Chris, I think Flynn's going to be gone. The Seahawks have built a VERY nice reputation with players by doing right by them. Flynn wants to start, they'll do right by him. This tweet was a lure fished out by either JS or Flynn's representation, to do right by him.

He very well could be, that would open the door for another Vet I am thinking that has a good understanding of what we do here, Hass, TJack, are the two off the top of my head right away. We don't go with a unknown I am pretty sure. It's too important in the 4 year plan. Besides we have seen how they have cycled thru QB's here until Wilson, stability is going to be important to a large degree even while your competing at the different positions. I can't see how the QB is an open challange anymore though. Even in a trade if Hass was to come he would know that it was as a back up out of the gate. ( Trade for Flynn not Hass) Best place for a straight trade would be Jacksonville for Henne I would think. Athletic, Vet, seems to have the support of his team mates. Depends on if Bradley is sold on him or not.

pehawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":c4joo678 said:
pehawk":c4joo678 said:
Mtjhoyas":c4joo678 said:
Not to start a fight here, but I have 2 things to rebuttal here;

1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.

Hmm, how did Pete know Russell Wilson would be available in round 3, when JS wanted him in round 2?

Huh? I'm confused what this has to do with Flynn. I don't think Pete knew, he just took a calculated risk by waiting until R3. Nobody knows exactly where guys will be drafted. They trust their evaluations and whatever info they can dig up and make calculated risks/gambles/decisions (by either drafting early or waiting as long as they are comfortable).

So, it's not possible Ireland and Philbin took a calculated risk (a much easier one consider it was the 8th pick)? Or, is Pete the only one with those abilities?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Assuming he wants to be traded, they may well redo his contract to be more cap friendly.

pinksheets

Reaction score
chris98251":1a138pw8 said:
pinksheets":1a138pw8 said:
chris98251":1a138pw8 said:
Flynn knows our system, were going for it this next year, Wilsons salary low versus Flynns salary still ranks us as a low cost team for QB's. English has stated you can't win a Super Bowl unless you have a top 10 pick at QB in this leage, now he is saying a qualified back up isn't necessary. Dolphins would say shame on you, 49ers had Monatan and Young, I guess that was a waste of cap money also and never paid off. Jeez what would have heppened if Pittsburgh would have had a actual legitimate QB to fill in for Ben when he got hurt this year. A tem in a serious contention position doesn't need a grooming QB, they need someone that can manage and not lose games and have the tools to win if necessary.

English has a lot of good information, I just beleive he has a under appreciation in some cases of QB's and a over confidence on the media declaring others sure fire.
I don't believe, even slightly, that we're still a Super Bowl team if Matt Flynn is our QB. So why keep him? A top QB being essential has nothing to do with having an above average backup. If your starter goes down, your season is in trouble, and that'd be the same whether or not we're rolling out Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson next year.

I'm 100% in the cut him if you can't trade him camp. We can find someone for cheap to backup Russ and better use that money. Flynn and Russell are very different players, so it's not like we're looking at some sort of smooth transition if we need to call Matt in.

Well how well did Green Bay do after Majik man was down, Schieder I'm sure is aware of that situation.

Brunell was there in the event of a injury till the heir was established and the market was ready for him, I see Flynn as the same way. Flynn has shown flashes of being able to win games, has the respect of his team mates and can manage games.

This isn't MADDEN, value in depth is what got us to where we were this year on defense, just as value at WR, RB, and the O- Line, QB is no different. Going cheap at the most important position is asking for trouble, a season ending injury may put us out of the playoffs, or may give Flynn the opportunity he has been waiting for. A couple game injury at an important time with Flynn holding down the fort may be the difference maker of us getting in or getting home field advantage. Being to only 1 Super Bowl in our history I take the value in the event of something happening. Especially with a QB that runs and takes hits on occation. he could pull a hammy, land wrong, take an extra shot etc, thats in addition to any clean or cheap shots running the ball.

QB is very different in how valuable depth is. You don't rotate out QBs like you do other positions nor do injuries play as big of a role. I'm not saying just sign Josh Portis to hang back there, find somebody who can come in and not lose a game for cheaper. If you assume Matt Flynn is some franchise Super Bowl QB hampered by bad luck, fine, I don't. I think if Russell suffers a big injury, we're screwed. Flynn isn't coming in and taking us to the promised land. We wouldn't be going cheap, we'd be finding a better way to use our cap dollars on a team that needs to really be planning for hitting a huge wall when all of our cheap late round hits turn into guys who want to get paid like stars. Every dollar counts, and Flynn is poor value for what he costs in relation to what he brings to the team, which so far, has been just about nothing. What other contending team is going to overpay a backup QB "just in case"? Russell's super cheap deal might make that a luxury we can afford, but it doesn't make it a smart value move when taken in the context of the entire 53-man roster.

Flynn comes in, we need to run a very different offense. Let's get a QB where that won't be the case and pay him significantly less.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Happypuppy":zo6en385 said:
Assuming he wants to be traded, they may well redo his contract to be more cap friendly.

I agree. And to those that think he should be cut...and is no better than a career back-up, why would he even want to be traded? Hell, if I were as terrible as some seem to think Matt Flynn is, I'd just shut up and call coin tosses at $4,000,000 per year.

We need a QB that can step in should RW go down. I sincerely believe Flynn is more than capable and hopefully he will consider a reduction in pay. I won't lose sight of the fact that we are never more than 1 play away from being the Cleveland Browns.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Dump him, money saved for Okung and Thomas later is more important than spending on a reserve and we have needs to address that should take precedent before thinking about backup QB. Any move that keeps our legit core starters is preferable to spending cap space and resources for a reserve.

A good backup is needed, but Flynn isn't making backup money.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2l2q8u47 said:
No one believed Flynn was going to Miami. You're doing the same thing you ripped Kiper for in his first mock; assigning a body to fill a perceived void without understanding the totality of the situation. Its not excuses, it's reality.

"No one believed Flynn was going to Miami"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2qmt7zul said:
I won't lose sight of the fact that we are never more than 1 play away from being the Cleveland Browns.

And Flynn stops us being the Browns?

I don't even know who Atlanta's back-up is for Matt Ryan.

chris98251

Reaction score
Any vet brought in is going to cost you a couple million, then you have the ramp up time. Our offense will lose the read option with someone like Flynn, then again it may with TJack also since he doesn't process information quickly.

Obviously none of you know who Earl Morrow was, or Don Strock. What about Dave Kreig in Detroit the year they had Woodley go down. Doesn't happen often but a capable back up I think is important and can help you. Then there is Frank Reich in Buffalo as well.

Until the recent bargaining agreement Flynn would have been an expense we could not afford, we are not strapped for cash and his deal isn't long term. Just feel that we are not up against any wall and until there is a new guy to step in we don't have a viable option really anyway.

With all the coaching changes there will be some vets let go, many of you all wanted Kolb, maybe he comes here after getting cut in Arizona. Maybe we take a flyer on Vince Young now that he has had a chance to be out of football and maybe has come back to earth some. I don't like either one but they were targets some wanted here. If we get one in camp and showcase Flynn or someone makes overtures then maybe we can expedite his learning curve. Wilson is going to get the Vet treatment I think next year and just be a showcase.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2en8l79k said:
pehawk":2en8l79k said:

"No one believed Flynn was going to Miami"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess if you listened to John Clayton or Chris Mortenson, Mario Williams was going to go to Seattle or Atlanta. Same thing and same reality...foolhardy assesments.

The Outfield

Reaction score
No way we'd cut him. They will either keep him because it's very useful to have his skills in a backup quarterback or they will trade him for other players and/or draft picks and no less.

Jville

Reaction score
While Seattle has told QB Matt Flynn they are willing to trade him, finding trade partner is problematic because several expect he'll be cut
Cutting Flynn in 2014 is an option. But 2013? ....... I doubt Jason Cole looked at Flynn's contract before twitting his response.

$7.25m is Flynn's scheduled cap cost for 2013. $2m of that is the prorated signing bonus cap hit for 2013 which is charged against the cap regardless of Flynn's roster status. The actual 2013 cap saving available thru cutting Flynn out right would be only $5.25m salary - $4m guarantee = $1.25 million savings.

That would get eaten up by a backup's contract. Also, there would be an additional $2 million (pro rated signing bonus) in dead cap money charged against the 2014 cap.
Unless of course the 2014 dead cap charge is excellerated into 2013 .... which would raise the cap hit from $7.25m to $8 million.

I wonder if there is a quarterback prospect out there willing to pay $.75 million to compete for a roster spot? LOL

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not trusting anyone with a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge in their Twitter default for accurate news on the Seahawks.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
This argument is way simpler than you're all making it. It simply comes down to what you rather spend your money on. Re-signing players like Okung, Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, etc. Or your backup qb.

You're more than welcome to choose backup qb. But you're dead wrong if you do. I really think some of you guys are vastly underestimating just how important cap health and frugality is if you want to keep this young core together. You want to risk one of those guys for a backup qb that doesn't fit your offensive indentity? I'm glad you aren't running this franchise.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Why is this board constantly preparing for the worst? What has Matt Flynn proven to you that he can run the offense we are going to implement?

Take the cap space, get rid of Flynnobody and either draft someone with one of our 1000 picks and pick up a guy or two in FA.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IIRC: Flynn gets 2mil out of the 5mil, guaranteed. So the savings is only 3mil. Now consider how much we would have to pay for a competent backup, and it's no great savings in cutting Flynn.

Maybe we could trade him for Carson Palmer? :twisted:

Latest posts