Will Chris Clemons be on 2013's final roster?

Largent80

Reaction score
ACL tears aren't even that big of a deal anymore to recover from.

AP is an anomaly, but a lot of players play at high levels after surgery these days. Can Clem recover? Who knows.

Puts us in another position of need and a critical one.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":15x47ycm said:
They will sign this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlKDo_m694

and cut Clem. Why waste that money? Same age, but one is healthy and one will not be.

They will then draft another DE. Bank on it.

Agree, I like Clemons but is it worth waiting to see if he comes back 100% and sacrifice cap space potentially risking not being able to extend Browner, KJ, or Chancellor? No way, I think we will probably have to start getting ahead of the cap prior to hitting it and that means getting Flynn out of here with Obo and Clemons getting an injury settlement. That probably clears up enough space to stash away for the young core and adds some to snag a FA DE and DT, possibly another LB or WR/TE we need. Sucks but that's the reality with a salary cap, really benefits teams that draft and develop well and not big spenders paying for previous production.

They probably need to look at maybe unloading Red and signing Branch for less as well(he can play inside and outside, offers more than Bryant) but I'm not sure messing with the leadership of the defense would be worth it; that is something to take into account for the locker room. Of course they could spin it as Branch outplayed Bryant and are rewarding him for that.

mikeak

Reaction score
The cap hit saving would be $2.27 in 2013 and some $7 million in 2014

That is not a lot of savings for 2013. Now the financial saving is much more significant for 2013 if you don't think he will play then you are looking at actually saving $7+ millions by cutting him since you already spent the signing bonus you would only be on the hook for the guaranteed $1.5 million

I think you let him come back see how things look and if you think he plays in 2013 you keep him. If that works out great if it doesn't work out you cut him before 2014 which has the biggest saving on the cap and in "real" money

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
mikeak":3txibknw said:
Lets get the cap hit right - someone correct me if I am wrong :)

Signing bonus is spread on the years of the contract when you sign the contract. When you cut a player the number remaining is added up under that year.

$6.5M signing bonus -- $2.2M / year then $1.5 guaranteed for next year in my calculation that makes the

2013 cap hit if you cut him almost $5.9million

I really should start using rotoworld. Spotrac sucks.

It's $3.66 million in dead money if you cut him in 2013. If the 2014 signing bonus money is accelerated into 2013 then it rises to $5.83 million, but it's really the same difference with the new cap rollover rules (since whatever money we save in 2013 goes towards 2014's cap number). Basically you are looking at paying $5.83 million without Clemons over two years or paying $17.83 million with him, a difference of $12 million. If Clemons was a UFA with that knee at age 32, do you think he'd get a 2/12 contract offer? I don't.

But the larger issue is, if you are Seattle and your pass rush depends on one player so much, you don't want to be banking on a guy that will very likely be performing on a 2009 Patrick Kerney level. Overpaying him while doing it is a double whammy.

If I were JS, I'd be going hard after Cliff Avril, and if I didn't get him, I'd sign Osi and then check up on Clemons in August. If my understanding is correct, Clemons won't see much or any of his non-guaranteed money before the real games start.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3vc83cur said:
They will sign this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlKDo_m694

and cut Clem. Why waste that money? Same age, but one is healthy and one will not be.

They will then draft another DE. Bank on it.

I feel obligated to say that those highlights were pre-2012, but I generally agree with the spirit of this post. It would be surprising if Umenyiora didn't have more in the tank than an unhealthy Clemons would.

The thing about Umenyiora is, he's not just a pass rusher- he's just a really good football player. He's strong, has good awareness, can separate from blocks, and plays the run well. He can pretty much do it all. Doesn't have blinding speed but makes up for it in other areas. Can't stress enough how much he reminds me of Raheem Brock's situation in 2010. I don't think Umenyiora alone fixes our problem even in 2013, but he'd be a good start.

Osi Umenyiora had 10 forced fumbles in 2010. This guy creates turnovers. Makes me want to finally create a twitter account and tweet that to Pete. That would catch his attention.

Loved the music in that video btw. Pretty cool how 80's/early 90's elements are making their way back into the music biz.

Winterfell

Reaction score
kearly":ox917aih said:
I feel obligated to say that those highlights were pre-2012, but I generally agree with the spirit of this post. It would be surprising if Umenyiora didn't have more in the tank than an unhealthy Clemons would.

The thing about Umenyiora is, he's not just a pass rusher- he's just a really good football player. He's strong, has good awareness, can separate from blocks, and plays the run well. He can pretty much do it all. Doesn't have blinding speed but makes up for it in other areas. Can't stress enough how much he reminds me of Raheem Brock's situation in 2010. I don't think Umenyiora alone fixes our problem even in 2013, but he'd be a good start.

I agree regarding Umenyiora, I really think we desperately need to add either Umenyiora or Cliff Avril through free agency, then add another pass rusher or two through the draft. Prepare for the worst case scenario which is assume Clemons won't be able to produce sacks for us anymore.

I know some people are worried about Umenyiora's production this season, but I think it's important to keep into perspective that the whole Giants defensive line had struggled and underperformed all year. Neither Jason Pierre-Paul nor Justin Tuck had a year people expected of them either.

Keeping in mind the Giant's defensive line underachievement this year, coupled with the fact that the Giants have a wealth of DEs that they rotate, and a case can be made that Umenyiora still has a lot left in the tank.

Whether Umenyiora maintains the drive and intensity after being a SB champion and getting a new contract remains to be seen, however.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
When I watched Osi this year, which wasn't very often admittedly, he looked like the same exact guy. I think he's got at least one good year left in him, and it's not uncommon for pass rushers to produce at age 31/32 if healthy. Health is really my only worry with him.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":331xcml5 said:
mikeak":331xcml5 said:
Lets get the cap hit right - someone correct me if I am wrong :)

Signing bonus is spread on the years of the contract when you sign the contract. When you cut a player the number remaining is added up under that year.

$6.5M signing bonus -- $2.2M / year then $1.5 guaranteed for next year in my calculation that makes the

2013 cap hit if you cut him almost $5.9million

I really should start using rotoworld. Spotrac sucks.

It's $3.66 million in dead money if you cut him in 2013. If the 2014 signing bonus money is accelerated into 2013 then it rises to $5.83 million, but it's really the same difference with the new cap rollover rules (since whatever money we save in 2013 goes towards 2014's cap number). Basically you are looking at paying $5.83 million without Clemons over two years or paying $17.83 million with him, a difference of $12 million. If Clemons was a UFA with that knee at age 32, do you think he'd get a 2/12 contract offer? I don't.

But lets focus on 2013. The 2014 signing bonus would be moved into 2013. Making it $5.83 million so against the cap next year the saving is only some $2.7million. If you think he plays then the upside is to small for me to not take the risk. Then you look at 2014 separately it doesn't make sense to look at this as a 2 year deal. for 2014 there is no guaranteed money from what I am seeing and the signing bonus would only be the $2.2 million so there is a much bigger issue with keeping him in 2014. If he shows in 2013 he can perform - ok keep him / restructure. If he can't perform in 2013 then cut him........

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
The 2013 money isn't that important. We have more money this year than we could spend realistically. The 2014 money is what's critical. That's when we have our first big wave of free agents to find money for.

I think for me the money part is the lesser half of the equation. If Seattle goes into next summer and finds out that Clemons is basically going to have the type of season that Carpenter had last year where he plays a few games and then gets IR'd again, then it's too late to replace him- the FA period and draft have already passed. The time to think about life after Clemons is right now, and Seattle should only hold out hope for Clemons after more realistic options have already fallen through.

Jville

Reaction score
I anticipate that Chris Clemons may start the season on PUP.

In any case, they will not cut an injuried player without (in Clemons case) a significant settlement payment. I fully expect Clemons to be around next year.

Jville

Reaction score
That would be something if he can heal that quickly. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hlqgeb6 said:
I'm betting that he's ready to go week 1.

That seems likely. The real question is this: will he be 95% in week 1 or 70%? If he's like 2009 Patrick Kerney, I don't think I'd want him back, especially at his price tag.

Jville":3hlqgeb6 said:
I anticipate that Chris Clemons may start the season on PUP.

In any case, they will not cut an injuried player without (in Clemons case) a significant settlement payment. I fully expect Clemons to be around next year.

Not sure if an injury settlement will apply. That's usually done for players that are not on long contracts (camp bodies, etc). Further, the settlement is usually based off of how much time the player will miss because of that injury. In Clemons' case, he will technically be recovered by August, but he probably won't be 100%. If Seattle cuts him, he can sign with other teams right away and try to play in 2013. He's also covered by the NFL's health care policy since he's played 3 years, and he's already made millions of dollars. So (could be wrong), I don't see an injury settlement as being in play here.

If my understanding is correct, players on the PUP/IR still receive full compensation. Seattle can't really afford to pay Clemons another $8+ million to sit on PUP/IR. They would/should only take that chance with Clemons if they are optimistic about his recovery. In the meantime, Seattle will have to make decisions in March/April that will tip their hand as to what their intentions with Clemons are. If it were me, I'd plan for life after Clemons right now, look into Cliff Avril, talk to teams about moving up for Werner/Moore/Jones, etc. Even if I thought Clemons was coming back, I'd sign Umenyiora at the very least. We need some real injury depth at LEO and Irvin isn't it.

Might have to carry an extra DL this year, going to be an interesting offseason.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
James Andrews also did Marcus Lattimore's knee and has said he'll be ready to go for their first game next season. Shredding a knee isn't as big of a deal now as it was even 5 years ago. The procedure is just getting better and better. It's realistic anymore to believe that Chris Clemons could have an impact on the field for the Seahawks next year and probably until he decides to retire.

mikeak

Reaction score
Also remember that you can bring one guy back from IR after 6 games and I wouldn't be surprised to see this expanded to two players this year

Because of the "small" difference cutting him this year vs 2014 I say he will probably be back so they can see how well he will do. Now if it is one of those full contract guaranteed if he is on rosterd March 1 etc then everything is out the window

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I for one, want to see Clem recover and make it back healthy, but I also do not see the Hawks giving up on the hunt for DE players until they have it covered with depth.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3jw7p2gk said:
kearly":3jw7p2gk said:
I don't begrudge the Seahawks for extending Chris Clemons last summer. It sounds like Clemons was likely holding out, and Seattle really didn't have a choice. They did the right thing signing him that extension.

But coming off a knee injury that Clemons won't be fully recovered from in either 2013 or 2014, is Clemons worth paying to keep around? His cap hit next year is $8.17 million. It's $9.67 million the year after that. His guaranteed money is only $2.16 million each year, meaning that if Seattle cut Clemons today they'd only have $4.33 million total dead money over the next two years.

I'm wondering this because if Clemons is not a realistic option to come back in 2013, Seattle would best served releasing Clemons before the season so as to increase Seattle's cap rollover number for the next season. It would be crazy to pay Clemons $8 million next season if he is likely to be a shell of his old self. He's 32 years old on a bad knee next season.

Kind of a tough situation to be in. This could impact Seattle's plans in free agency as well. Should be interesting to see what they do.

I said he would not be, made a thread about it, then got flamed by everyone. Why would they keep him and pay him when you can get someone else younger to replace him.

Because the replacement isn't very good at playing his position. For all the talk about his ability to rush the passer Clemons is extremely good against the run for such a light player.

Irvin was on skates in the Atlanta game, I think Irvin for now is still only a 3rd down rusher. In the future who knows.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, Irvin got pushed around by Atlanta and it was painful to watch. That didn't happen much with Clem.