Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

-The Glove-

Reaction score
He's listed as 6'2" 195 but measurements this week have him at 6 even. Said to have a wingspan that rivals any WR in the draft, though. He has some great quickness, but not exactly the fastest from what I have seen of him. He hasn't played against the best talent but when he has, he lights it up. Against Texas A&M he had 21 receptions for 233 yards and TDs.

[YouTube]htOC2hKV7iM [/YouTube]
(can someone post his highlights if this doesn't work. Trying to figure it out on my phone)

Lots of posts on Twitter about him standing out and looking really good out there on day 2 of practices. That got me to look him up and his highlight reel intrigued me the most. Now I have never evaluated players in the past or even paid too much attention to players before the draft, but PC and JS have me getting excited about every facet of football.

What do you guys know about him? Where would he likely go in the draft? How does he compare to the upper tier WRs?

ruca

Reaction score
I really like Patton.

Last year, he gave Johnthan Banks a run for his money. Blew it up again this season and is definitely an interesting prospect. I think he's a mid to late 2nd rounder come draft day but could be there in the 3rd. He has less red flags than some of the other 2nd rounders (Hunter, Woods) and I think is just lost in the shuffle atm.

There's some good articles out there about him. Apparently he has quite the work ethic, is an unquestioned leader type, and has not only produced but improved every season.

From what I've seen, his route running and ability to separate makes him very appealing. Not top notch speed but is NFL caliber regardless.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Patton's an intriguing guy. He put up some monster numbers at Louisiana Tech, somewhat taking advantage of a weak schedule, but also playing well against top talent.

My opinion, I think Patton fits directly in the Second-tier with a lot of other good receivers, so while he may deserve to go round 2 this year, he might also fall into the 3rd rd (It's a draft where many receivers equal in talent will get drafted at different spots, based on a teams preference of the position).

He never looked the 6' 2" it was said, but he plays big for his size and is not afraid of contact in either blocking or over the middle. He's a very complete player. His strengths are probably his ability to get open in his routes. He has a quickness to everything he does. I think he'll post a solid 40 time, but he won't surprise anybody with his straight speed.

I've read NFL player comparisons would be Brandon Lloyd, which i agree with. As for Tier-1 comparisons, I'd compare him to DeAndre Hopkins, but lacking the catching ability Hopkins has.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":x8egz7wx said:
Patton's an intriguing guy. He put up some monster numbers at Louisiana Tech, somewhat taking advantage of a weak schedule, but also playing well against top talent.

My opinion, I think Patton fits directly in the Second-tier with a lot of other good receivers, so while he may deserve to go round 2 this year, he might also fall into the 3rd rd (It's a draft where many receivers equal in talent will get drafted at different spots, based on a teams preference of the position).

He never looked the 6' 2" it was said, but he plays big for his size and is not afraid of contact in either blocking or over the middle. He's a very complete player. His strengths are probably his ability to get open in his routes. He has a quickness to everything he does. I think he'll post a solid 40 time, but he won't surprise anybody with his straight speed.

I've read NFL player comparisons would be Brandon Lloyd, which i agree with. As for Tier-1 comparisons, I'd compare him to DeAndre Hopkins, but lacking the catching ability Hopkins has.
I've heard Brandon Lloyd as well. An interesting one was someone saying he's like a younger Greg Jennings. Huge praise there.

kearly

Reaction score
The WR class this year is pretty unreal. And I'd bet JS was fully aware of that this time last year. It's going to be a lot of fun watching the Seahawks pluck two WRs out of this draft class.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":u0spm27l said:
The WR class this year is pretty unreal. And I'd bet JS was fully aware of that this time last year. It's going to be a lot of fun watching the Seahawks pluck two WRs out of this draft class.
I'd love to hear your assessment of Patton, Kearly.

lukerguy

Reaction score
oh my goodness..This kid is unbelievable. He NEVER catches it with his body. Even on the deep balls he catches it with two hands. DOes he really have 4.40 speed?

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
lukerguy":2w0d1utz said:
oh my goodness..This kid is unbelievable. He NEVER catches it with his body. Even on the deep balls he catches it with two hands. DOes he really have 4.40 speed?
Yeah that's what most are saying. Doesn't have breakaway straight line speed, but as you can see, he has some nice moves and just knows how to get open.

Funny you talk about his hands catching. A lot of scouts raved about that today.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
"@LATechPWalsh: Louisiana Tech's Quinton Patton (@4_Turnt_Up) named the Most Outstanding Receiver at the Senior Bowl Banquet #WeAreLATech"

pugs1

Reaction score
I agree 100% on picking two receivers in this draft. While I don't think this draft is loaded with Calvin Johnson's. I do like the depth of this receiver class. I'm a big fan of Patton and T.King from UGA.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Love his quick feet to beat press coverage and to also elude the first tackler on WR screens.