NFL players can bet on other games? Ummm Sherm?

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1o7flss4 said:
It's interesting that this hasn't popped up on any sports news page.

They're gonna go with the "oh we knew it for months" but just wanting to make it public before the first week for the season.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
You guys really think Sherman is breaking rules and tweeting about it? Do you really think he's that stupid? Wow. No respect.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
His season is over and he is betting on a game he is (presumably legally) betting on a game he isn't involved. I've never heard how that is against the code of conduct.

kidhawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":27v4287v said:
His season is over and he is betting on a game he is (presumably legally) betting on a game he isn't involved. I've never heard how that is against the code of conduct.

Current CBA:
[urltargetblank]http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf[/urltargetblank]

From page 261 (page 276 of the pdf file):

15. INTEGRITY OF GAME. Player recognizes the detriment to the League and pro-fessional football that would result from impairment of public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games or the integrity and good character of NFL players. Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League or pro-fessional football, the Commissioner will have the right, but only after giving Player the opportunity for a hearing at which he may be represented by counsel of his choice, to fine Player in a reasonable amount; to suspend Player for a period certain or indefinitely; and/or to terminate this contract.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
• League employees (players, coaches, and staff) are prohibited from betting on any NFL game.

It's common sense.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible that Sherm is stupid enough to believe he can break serious NFL rules, snitch on himself on twitter about it and still get away with it? Sure. I'll go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt though.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Just reading through that little section of the CBA, one could easily assume that gambling in any form is prohibited by the NFL, but everyone knows it happens and you don't hear of people being suspended for it. Players travel to Vegas all the time.

Perhaps this was written in such a way as to cover more than the NFL actually means it to cover, and perhaps there have been clarifying papers sent out to players with allowances for betting at legal establishments such as Vegas or such. Honestly, I have no idea what the ACTUAL NFL policy is. If I was going strictly by the verbiage above, I'd say that placing any bet would be against NFL rules, but when looking at it realistically, I do not believe that is the case.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Don't over think it, kid. You highlighted in green the critical and accurate piece.

It is well known by the players they are not to gamble on NFL games.

It is a condition of their employment.

They aren't even suppose to 'associate with known gamblers'. That phrase has always cracked me up.

I know several former NFL players, an NFL referee, coach, etc. and trust me:

The NFL is very clear on this.

I know there used to be placards reminding/warning players of the rules around this posted IN EVERY NFL LOCKER ROOM.

All this said; would Sherman be dumb enough to violate the rule???

IMO, whether he did or not, his twittering shows an obvious presence of reckless judgement.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
bestfightstory":33qv6cyz said:
All this said; would Sherman be dumb enough to violate the rule???

IMO, whether he did or not, his twittering shows an obvious presence of reckless judgement.

Maybe since he won that appeal he thinks he's untouchable??

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Maybe he's just being comical about his views on the Superbowl. Hates the Whiners and thinks the Ravens will win easily.

Winning money at the craps table...

I'm gonna go with that and believe it until we hear otherwise.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":1zq5dmfu said:
Maybe he's just being comical about his views on the Superbowl. Hates the Whiners and thinks the Ravens will win easily.

I'd be willing to bet money (and tweet about it) that he was just being a smart ass. But we should totally freak out about it. ;)

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":12oln83u said:
CrimsonWazzu":12oln83u said:

I'd be willing to bet money (and tweet about it) that he was just being a smart ass. But we should totally freak out about it. ;)

I can see how you could think this is freaking out, but is it a bad thing to be concerned about the actions of a premier player? The tweet can be construed either way depending on your view, but I don't want to see him lost because of a possible simple mistake. And to the person who said he went to Stanford and wouldn't be this dumb, evidently you haven't met or dealt with many smart people, they can be dumb as hell too.

Basis4day

Reaction score
OkieHawk":xn79ot75 said:
Zebulon Dak":xn79ot75 said:
CrimsonWazzu":xn79ot75 said:

I can see how you could think this is freaking out, but is it a bad thing to be concerned about the actions of a premier player? The tweet can be construed either way depending on your view, but I don't want to see him lost because of a possible simple mistake. And to the person who said he went to Stanford and wouldn't be this dumb, evidently you haven't met or dealt with many smart people, they can be dumb as hell too.

When it's a blurb on twitter By Sherman and not a member of the media, no, it's not worth being concerned about.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I disagree when it is something that, potentially, could mean a suspension for him depending on how bad the NFL would want to pursue it. Either way, it is probably a non-issue, but still something that he should be more cognizant of in the future.

PAT206

Reaction score
your reading it wrong.

Anquan and Flacco are referred to in the present.

money and gambling were referred to in the past tense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":2nof1196 said:
HawkWow":2nof1196 said:
Stanford coach Bill Walsh once lobbied for an investigation into the U-Dub football program. Whether he knows it or not, Sherm is now lobbying for an investigation into Stanford's football program.
How..?

By showing he's none too bright. But you could have figured that out...right?

Latest posts