NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:27 pm
  • On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I'm just so happy for my city to get the NBA back. Like I've said before, I was never the biggest NBA fan, pretty fair-weather, but I wanted it badly for our city pride. I'll get really excited when we start hearing news of an NHL team coming here. Pro-Hockey was always a sport that I felt was missing a fan.... ME! Once I hear news of the NHL coming, I'll scour the rule books to learn that sport inside and out! I loves me some violence in my sports, and Hockey is a sport I'm willing to jump into big-time! But of course, when the SuperSonics make the playoffs, I'll be there in all my Band-Wagon glory! :lol:

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I'm just so happy for my city to get the NBA back. Like I've said before, I was never the biggest NBA fan, pretty fair-weather, but I wanted it badly for our city pride. I'll get really excited when we start hearing news of an NHL team coming here. Pro-Hockey was always a sport that I felt was missing a fan.... ME! Once I hear news of the NHL coming, I'll scour the rule books to learn that sport inside and out! I loves me some violence in my sports, and Hockey is a sport I'm willing to jump into big-time! But of course, when the SuperSonics make the playoffs, I'll be there in all my Band-Wagon glory! :lol:

I agree, SuperSonics is 100x better of a name. It makes me think of Boeing and the futuristic past of Seattle - the space needle, the bubbleator, etc.

It's a shame that when I go to the Seattle Times and read the comments, 75% of the commenters seem to oppose the new team. I personally couldn't be happier with all that Hansen, Ballmer, etc have done to bring back our beloved Sonics.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 am
  • The Outfield wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I agree, SuperSonics is 100x better of a name.

:th2thumbs:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I agree, SuperSonics is 100x better of a name.

:th2thumbs:

Im kinda ignorant on the subject, but I thought we were always officially the SuperSonics, but we would be referred to as sonics as a shortened nickname, kinda like the hawks from seahawks and bucs from bucaneers. No?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 am
  • Can I ask why people wouldn't want Bird as GM?

To me, it appears he did very well in small-market Indiana. It's not a landing place for free agents, so Bird was forced to build that team through the draft. He also had to keep things fiscally responsible. He also tends to build in an old-school, 1980's, Kersey vs X-Man type of team.

In Seattle Bird can build that type of tough team, and be a player in free agency. Sounds like a good formula to me.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:01 am
  • Mike Dunleavy Jr. & Troy Murphy are why to me.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Mike Dunleavy Jr. & Troy Murphy are why to me.

I cant remember if he drafted Murphy or not. If he did, weren't each taken about the spot other GM's would?

I swear last year you, peaches and I we're singing the praises of that Pacers squad. It was during the series that Bird came out and told his team to man-up and punch the Heat on the mouth.

I respect your view, but IMO, other factors have to be weighed when evaluating his tenure in Indiana. The same way s you cant necessarily use W's and L's to evaluate Raider HC's.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am
  • I thought Bird got fired last season? I might be wrong, they got their act together finally.

Trading for Granger was a good move, but it took 6-7 years for Bird to put a team around him, drafting George Paul was smart and getting George Hill was smart, I don't know if matching what the Blazers offered Hibbert was really exactly smart, he looks like hes regressed a bit.

Most underrated move in the NBA IMO was getting David West, the team got a constant double-double veteran to go along side Granger and Paul.

But honestly I wouldn't want Phil Jackson either, 'specially if it came down between Bird, Jackson, & RC Buford, I'll take Buford with the quickness, the Spurs model should be replicated more often IMO.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 am
  • Bird retired last year from that job. That team is his build.

As long as Hibbert's there they're a contender in the East.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am
  • Oh hell we was all wrong!

Bird was only the President of Basketball operations! Not even the GM! So he wasn't the one who traded Stephen Jackson & Al Harrington for those scrubs Murphy & Dunleavy, that was Walsh! Jeeeeez that was a total Rick Sund/Wally Walker move if I ever seen one.

More-so in 2008, he got his own man and then built what they have now (he also has Pete Carroll type of power with having the final say in all moves), I was all wrong on this!

I'd still want Buford though lol.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am
  • I like Buford as well. He's the John Schneider of the NBA.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 am
  • So when do we know for sure it's a done deal?
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 am
  • pehawk wrote:I like Buford as well. He's the John Schneider of the NBA.

So is Mr. Presti... Maybe Hansen can open up that pocket book a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit more to steal away the brain of the Thunder?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I like Buford as well. He's the John Schneider of the NBA.

So is Mr. Presti... Maybe Hansen can open up that pocket book a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit more to steal away the brain of the Thunder?

Buford's better than Presti, IMO. Durant and Westbrook give Presti alot of room for error.

Buford pulls All-Pro's from late 20 picks.

Cousins went for 23 and 13 last night, I believe. Isiah dropped in 20.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am
  • Throwdown wrote:

No.
    Never.
    Go away.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Buford's better than Presti, IMO. Durant and Westbrook give Presti alot of room for error.

Buford pulls All-Pro's from late 20 picks.

Cousins went for 23 and 13 last night, I believe. Isiah dropped in 20.

No one saw Westbrook going that early though, and no one thought he was that good though. Westbrook didn't even start at UCLA and was only there one season, and don't forget Ibaka, probably the only guy on the Thunder I have some weird love for.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 am
  • I'm familiar with Westbrook. That was a ballsy pick at 4.

We'll just sign Duratula when he hits the market.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am
  • pehawk wrote:I'm familiar with Westbrook. That was a ballsy pick at 4.

Which will be when he's 41 years old. KD is more than happy where he's at.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I'm feelin you on the old name. Even though "Sonics" is prettty cool in it's own right, I always prefered the old jet-city psychedelic long form.
    PLAYING REGULAR SUNDAY SCHEDULE WILL HELP HAWKS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/10/15/ ... mojo-back/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:37 pm
  • So KJ has nothing.

His big announcement was that 19 local investors have pledged $1 million as a part of an ownership group.

And they hope to announce a "whale" soon. Meaning they don't have one.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:49 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:So KJ has nothing.

His big announcement was that 19 local investors have pledged $1 million as a part of an ownership group.

And they hope to announce a "whale" soon. Meaning they don't have one.

Does Kevin "Desert Princess" Johnson have a ref to whine too still? Hated him as a player.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I'm familiar with Westbrook. That was a ballsy pick at 4.

Which will be when he's 41 years old. KD is more than happy where he's at.

No he isnt. He hates Oklahoma. He said its a bunch of inbred morons. He regrets signing an extension. He is also tired of Westbrooks "tired routine."
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:34 pm
  • kdurant@twitter - "How can you tell an okcthunder fan? He keeps his food stamps on a money clip. Ha ha! When an okcthunder fan say 'ho down', his sister gits down on her knees. P.S. Westbrook can suck my ass."
    PLAYING REGULAR SUNDAY SCHEDULE WILL HELP HAWKS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/10/15/ ... mojo-back/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm
  • Haha! I'm gonna follow Kevin Durant now!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 pm
  • That's not Durant's twitter, his twitter is @KDtrey5
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm
  • It will be. Hanson is 10 steps ahead of these guys.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm
  • Yeah, they're just finding their money guys now, that's where they're at.

Ours bought the team, that's where we're are at. Just let it unfold.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm
  • Like I said, I dunno how it's possible with the papers already signed and delivered. The only hope they really have is the BOG saying no to Hansen and CO, and even that is opening up a huge can of worms if they do so.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 pm
  • The have Clay Bennett as head of relocation commitee to still get this by. Stern wants his image polished, Bennett is a person that I think given the latitude and personal involvement won't be neutral about this unless Stern sways the situation with him. Hansen still has to file relocation papers also. This vote of approval is "EXPECTED" to happen in April at a ownership meeting. Thats not to say there cannot be one earlier if they so choose. Stranger things have happened.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 pm
  • The part that they are not stating is the NBA needs a team in Seattle. The Sacramento gate attendance is very poor and I suspect they want to draw fans from a similar base to the Seahawks.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 pm
  • Happypuppy wrote:The part that they are not stating is the NBA needs a team in Seattle. The Sacramento gate attendance is very poor and I suspect they want to draw fans from a similar base to the Seahawks.

And they want the chunk of change Hansen will be giving them as a relocation fee, and our beer money, our t-shirt money, and our big heavy corporate spenders.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm
  • It seems like a conflict of interest that clay heads the relocation committee and owns all the sonics logos until Seattle gets a team then he will give them to Seattle. Yet right now all the sonics merchandise that's been reportedly flying off the shelves in Seattle. Meaning if he approves the relocation he loses some cash income.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Well, I have been a huge NHL fan since the late 70's. I must pre-warn you that while there are still the occasional fights here and there and yes even more during a few big rivalry matches, it definitely isn't as fun as old time hockey.

You might well indeed love this website- http://www.hockeyfights.com We have interesting conversations at the forum. :0190l:
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 am

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 am
  • Don't fret, young Blitzer.

Chris Hansen the great's got this!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Don't fret, young Blitzer.

You know me, I freak out about everything. And this is very concerning, if the Penguins owner and 24-HR fitness guy are on board, that could tilt this deal. Man I just want the NBA to approve this pronto!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Don't fret, young Blitzer.

You know me, I freak out about everything. And this is very concerning, if the Penguins owner and 24-HR fitness guy are on board, that could tilt this deal. Man I just want the NBA to approve this pronto!

It could, but if the owners do decide to kill this deal, it opens up an entirely new can of worms that I'm not sure the NBA as a whole wants.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:

Doesn't matter, too little too late. The Hanson group has a binding contract to buy the Kings. What's going to happen if the Sactown group is legit (which is still up in the air) is they will either get an expansion team or another team within a year or 2, Kings to Seattle next season.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Doesn't matter, too little too late. The Hanson group has a binding contract to buy the Kings. What's going to happen if the Sactown group is legit (which is still up in the air) is they will either get an expansion team or another team within a year or 2, Kings to Seattle next season.

Pretty sure the sale has to be approved by the NBA. The Maloofs also surely have a binding contract with the NBA, which I would guess states that should they sell the team, it must be approved by the NBA. The Maloofs could be in breach of that contract, regardless of whether they have a contract with Hansen.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 pm
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:50 pm
  • I have been reading more and more articles about this potential deal the KJ and Sactown is putting together and many believe that it has a very good shot to keep the Kings In Sacramento.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 pm
  • Forbes said if the Seattle group buys the Kings, it will help increase the value of all NBA teams by 30%. NBA owners want this to go through.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:12 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Forbes said if the Seattle group buys the Kings, it will help increase the value of all NBA teams by 30%. NBA owners want this to go through.

That's another reason this will happen.
    $$$$ > Sacramento to the NBA ownership!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:I have been reading more and more articles about this potential deal the KJ and Sactown is putting together and many believe that it has a very good shot to keep the Kings In Sacramento.

Blitzer, I hereby forbid you from seeking out any information on this topic beyond what we give you here.

It's not good for your health, my friend.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I have been reading more and more articles about this potential deal the KJ and Sactown is putting together and many believe that it has a very good shot to keep the Kings In Sacramento.

Blitzer, I hereby forbid you from seeking out any information on this topic beyond what we give you here.

It's not good for your health, my friend.

lol you have no idea. Everything I read about this seems like a brick house is falling on me.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 pm
  • Do you go to SonicsRising?

It's a great place to read the info analyzed and discussed by Sonics fans as it comes in. Perhaps it has a tad bit of bias for that reason, but all in all, I'd say it's pretty straight forward and a great place to get readjusted with reality and commonsense while on the rollercoaster.

All the "Sac is in the driver's seat" talk is wishful thinking by Sac fans, don't let it get to you.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Do you go to SonicsRising?

It's a great place to read the info analyzed and discussed by Sonics fans as it comes in. Perhaps it has a tad bit of bias for that reason, but all in all, I'd say it's pretty straight forward and a great place to get readjusted with reality and commonsense while on the rollercoaster.

All the "Sac is in the driver's seat" talk is wishful thinking by Sac fans, don't let it get to you.

Yeah, just checked it out, and really.......it didn't make me feel much better lol.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information