Wilson's agent asks for raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat

Reaction score
Dude is going to be balls deep in endorsements by the start of next season. He'll be fine.

justafan

Reaction score
I love the rookie wage scale.A couple of years back teams were getting hamstrung by underperforming rookies eating up huge amounts of cap space.
Pretty soon this team will have tough calls to make when Wilsons agent wants over 15 mil and you know Sherman wont be humble during contract talks he will be wanting over 10 a year.
All good teams with developing stars end up keeping the 4 or 5 core players on either side of the ball and patching up the rest with low price pick ups.
With the amazing job the FO has done drafting its going to almost impossible to keep this team together with all the huge pay raises coming up in the next few years. I wouldn't feel to bad for these guys they arn't missing any meals.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre
RT @SI_PeterKing: Russell Wilson to me: "I speak for myself. I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract." More in my Tues column.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think this is more of an issue for fans than players. I am fairly certain wise players/agents have insurance policies out to insure that they make it into their contract year. Even without the cap, insuring players has always been around, but with the rookie cap, it's probably even more important for the younger guys now than ever before.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CANHawk":2bi7m6hl said:
Well, hopefully some of his teammates can pitch in and buy him some new suits. Maybe set him up with a decent tailor.
It is kind of sad to see Wilson wearing those Jos. A Bank white banker suits. But if he was dressed like Deon Sanders that would suck more. He needs to take Golden with him next time he gets some threads. Golden wears some natty threads.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":1fh9m1os said:
It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

This is the CBA the player's association bargained.

On the flip side, it's also messed up that the Jets have to pay Mark Sanchez 9 million more dollars to stink it up next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3eodcxeh said:
Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre
RT @SI_PeterKing: Russell Wilson to me: "I speak for myself. I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract." More in my Tues column.

Here's the actual article by Peter King:

[urltargetblank]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130122/sean-payton-russell-wilson/?sct=hp_t2_a3[/urltargetblank]

Russell Wilson says he hasn't asked for, and won't ask for, a new contract. Chris Mortensen reported that a representative of Wilson's reached out to the Seahawks and asked that his contract be modified in the way of his terrific rookie season, capped off by his 385-yard passing performance in a 30-28 playoff loss to Atlanta. Wilson reached out to me this morning to say: "I speak for myself, and I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract ... I have complete understanding and respect for the new CBA rules ... Anyone who knows me knows I play for the love of the game. I play for the challenge of being the best one day and know I have a long way to go.'' The CBA Wilson refers to is the Collective Bargaining Agreement, signed in July 2011, which mandates that rookies' contracts for draft choices not be "renegotiated, amended or altered in any way'' until after the final game of the player's third season. Wilson, a third-round pick in 2012 of the Seahawks, will make $527,000 and $662,000 over the next two seasons, and then, early in 2014, could get a commensurate payday from the Seahawks. But not until then. "I respect the NFL, respect the new CBA, respect my teammates, respect all of the other players across the league, and respect the Seattle Seahawks,'' Wilson added. So that puts a lid on that.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32zuqn5u said:
pehawk":32zuqn5u said:
It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

On the flip side, it's also messed up that the Jets have to pay Mark Sanchez 9 million more dollars to stink it up next year.

That is in the contract that the Jets negotiated LAST YEAR. I mean if you are dumb enough to do that negotiation then you deserve what you got. This wasn't some unproven rookie this was a guy within their organization that they knew everything about.

We aren't going to give Trufant a $35 million 5 year contract at this point. If we did nobody would feel that it was messed up that we had to pay it right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":1a3nvvnm said:
Sgt. Largent":1a3nvvnm said:
pehawk":1a3nvvnm said:

That is in the contract that the Jets negotiated LAST YEAR. I mean if you are dumb enough to do that negotiation then you deserve what you got. This wasn't some unproven rookie this was a guy within their organization that they knew everything about.

We aren't going to give Trufant a $35 million 5 year contract at this point. If we did nobody would feel that it was messed up that we had to pay it right?

I agree with you, I was just pointing out to the poster that the CBA is a two way street for the players.

IMO the NFL CBA is the fairest of ALL the pro sports CBA's. You play well you get rewarded. If you don't play well we can cut your ass if we've done our job with how we structured your contract.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Anybody glancing at this forum and seeing this thread topic would draw bad conclusions about our intelligence. Lock it, already. >.<

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Let's transition tag him when his rookie contract is up. That always works

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":25fkre3k said:
Let's transition tag him when his rookie contract is up. That always works

His Rookie Contract is for 4 years, we can renegotiate after 3 years, giving us a full year to get him locked in long term before anyone else can even think about talking to him.

Basically, his rookie contract will not ever "be up". He will be extended before that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.