Where will Flynn play next year?

pinksheets

Reaction score
I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.

sam1313

Reaction score
All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
sam1313":1pjxtn6w said:
All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).

12thMan1

Reaction score
joeshaney":3d95todv said:
pinksheets":3d95todv said:
joeseahawks":3d95todv said:
Jaguars are getting Tebow.
Cardinals are getting Mike Glennon from NC State
KC is going to get Flynn. We better get one of their studs.
Uh, why?

Andy Reid rips people off with backup QBs, not the other way around. He's not going to give up an elite player for Matt freaking Flynn.

I agree with you, however, it sounds like you are undervaluing Flynn.
The guys a good, starting caliber quarterback. I don't expect us to get a first round pick or likely even a second. Nonetheless, for any of you who think he won't be targeted by teams in need of a qb, you are blinded by Russell Wilson's success.

Matt Flynn is a good QB plain and simple. He's not a worthless asset as some of you seem to assume. He will either be in Seattle next year or net us something of value.

Since the whole Kevin Kolb trade, I would think FOs are being a little more cautious when it comes to dealing for backup QBs.

sam1313

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2udgke5k said:
sam1313":2udgke5k said:

I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).

I'm a lot more hesitant to give the Cardinals anything than you are. With Flynn they may have made the playoffs this year. They were tough enough defensively as it was, with Flynn they could be really difficult to deal with.

To behonest,I wouldn't be surprised to get something even better than a second for Flynn, but it all starts with the Jags. If they show a lot of interest, I think it ups Flynn's price tage significantly.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
sam1313":131llt0a said:
volsunghawk":131llt0a said:
sam1313":131llt0a said:

I'm a lot more hesitant to give the Cardinals anything than you are. With Flynn they may have made the playoffs this year. They were tough enough defensively as it was, with Flynn they could be really difficult to deal with.

To behonest,I wouldn't be surprised to get something even better than a second for Flynn, but it all starts with the Jags. If they show a lot of interest, I think it ups Flynn's price tage significantly.

I don't think Flynn would have improved the team that much. Even when they had Kolb in (who I think is probably on par with Flynn), he wasn't performing impressively. Their early winning streak was all about the D.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone - seriously, ANY team in the entire NFL - offered more than a 2nd for Flynn. I'd be really surprised at a 2nd and can't envision any scenario where a team offers more than that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1cnrynvi said:
I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone - seriously, ANY team in the entire NFL - offered more than a 2nd for Flynn. I'd be really surprised at a 2nd and can't envision any scenario where a team offers more than that.

I think Pete and John would jump at a 2nd. It's when you get into a 3rd or 4th round pick only territory that I think they'd keep Flynn.

I do think there are 4-5 teams that'd give up a 2nd for Flynn. His salary is perfect for taking a risk on bringing him into places like Philly, Jacksonville, Oakland, KC, Buffalo (if they cut Fitzpatrick), etc.

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
pinksheets":txrd03mp said:
I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.

Im not worried about clearing a billion dollars of cap space for the purpose of "rollover". Lets at the very least wait until after our cap situation becomes hampered before we decide that rolling over 20 million dollars is going to help us.

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
[/quote]
Uh, why?

Andy Reid rips people off with backup QBs, not the other way around. He's not going to give up an elite player for Matt freaking Flynn.[/quote]

I agree with you, however, it sounds like you are undervaluing Flynn.
The guys a good, starting caliber quarterback. I don't expect us to get a first round pick or likely even a second. Nonetheless, for any of you who think he won't be targeted by teams in need of a qb, you are blinded by Russell Wilson's success.

Matt Flynn is a good QB plain and simple. He's not a worthless asset as some of you seem to assume. He will either be in Seattle next year or net us something of value.[/quote]

Since the whole Kevin Kolb trade, I would think FOs are being a little more cautious when it comes to dealing for backup QBs.[/quote]

I agree....this is why I don't believe we will land a probowl player in addition to a second round pick.
A simple 3rd and a depth player would be a more realistic bargain.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Given the way the Hawks have been drafting, I'd almost hope for as many picks as possible, screw the round. Schneider can get 'em late just as well as he can get 'em early.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder and PC/JS jump at it and send him packing..... 6th and I think they have to think about it.

Im guessing they get a 5th for him. If some team sends a 4th to the hawks we are blessed and take that pick to the bank laughing.

pinksheets

Reaction score
joeshaney":sqa0hw9x said:
pinksheets":sqa0hw9x said:

Im not worried about clearing a billion dollars of cap space for the purpose of "rollover". Lets at the very least wait until after our cap situation becomes hampered before we decide that rolling over 20 million dollars is going to help us.
That's how horrible front offices think, not ours.

"Let's not worry about making cap moves until we're dangerously limited by the salary cap."

Great strategy.

We're not going to roll over $20 million, the $18 mill we're starting with will get spent in a variety of ways, maybe not fully, but adding another $3 or $4m (which I think is what we alleviate with Flynn in terms of cap space) might not sound like a lot, but it could very well be a difference maker next year.

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
pinksheets":1ziq7qtj said:
joeshaney":1ziq7qtj said:
pinksheets":1ziq7qtj said:

That's how horrible front offices think, not ours.

"Let's not worry about making cap moves until we're dangerously limited by the salary cap."

Great strategy.

We're not going to roll over $20 million, the $18 mill we're starting with will get spent in a variety of ways, maybe not fully, but adding another $3 or $4m (which I think is what we alleviate with Flynn in terms of cap space) might not sound like a lot, but it could very well be a difference maker next year.

You are not understanding what I meant. Nobody wants us to be "dangerously limited by the salary cap" silly.

I understand that horrible front offices maintain strategies to be "dangerously limited by the salary cap". Take the 49ers for example.....Wait a minute....

The point is were not going to spend money just to spend money. At the same time, unless it makes the team better (which in a draft where we are already overloaded with picks, a 6th round pick and the subtraction of a quality backup qb will not) there is no reason to salary dump.

Now, it is quite possible that Seattle finds a replacement for Flynn and needs his salary cap number off there books in order to complete free agent acquisitions. I don't personally see them spending much money this offseason, but even if they wanted to there is no point in speculation.

Simply, at there current cap position there is no stress to unload Flynn's contract for an additional 6th round pick in a year they don't need more picks. Certainly, this could change through the extension of Kam Chancellor and the signing of a big free agent target (for example). Until that happens, however, Flynn is a good player to keep around unless you bring back value that is worth more than the crap Tarvaris Jackson netted us that some of you are so keen to believe is a worthy move to exile Flynn.