Fitzgerald for Flynn?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Fitzgerald for Flynn?
Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 pm
  • Why do people still think that Flynn is actually valuable? Maybe he could net us a conditional 5th in a trade or something, but no more........
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Montana needed Taylor and Clark and Jones to compliment Rice, but point of your statement is correct, you need guys that can seperate and catch the ball.

Most also had a decent rushing attack, James with Manning, Tyler, Craig, Watters in S.F., Warner Faulk, Bradshaw Blier and some Italian guy named Harris, Smith in Dallas, Marino was the only one that really had no rushing attack, and by chance the only one on that list not to win a Superbowl.

The ultimate team game
    warden
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm
  • i think you're thinking Fitzpatrick and not fitzgerald
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 pm
  • SPOHAWK wrote:If my grandma had wheels, she'd be a trolley!

You could tape a Cheetah to her back. Just sayin
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm
  • Hawkfan509 wrote:
    SPOHAWK wrote:If my grandma had wheels, she'd be a trolley!

You could tape a Cheetah to her back. Just sayin

If we take this concept and apply it to football we could be on to something, Niners think Kap is fast? Lets see him outrun an angry Browner strapped to an even angrier cheetah.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm
  • No way would I improve the Cardinals to the point of making them the next NFC West Powerhouse !

Oh, and on the whole "QBs needing elite WRs to be successful" point.....

Brady hasn't had an elite WR outside of Moss for one year. They've trotted out tons of journeymen in and out of that system and that QB. Brady made Welker elite, not the other way around. Branch was borderline elite when he was in NE, but he came here and showed he was merely above average. Went back to NE with Brady and bang! he's good again.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Do you realize HOW expensive we're talking for Fitz?

2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15), 2014: $12.75 million, 2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2016: $15 million, 2017-2018: $14.75 million, 2019: Free Agent

Dang. That is steep.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:No way would I improve the Cardinals to the point of making them the next NFC West Powerhouse !

Brady hasn't had an elite WR outside of Moss for one year. They've trotted out tons of journeymen in and out of that system and that QB. Brady made Welker elite, not the other way around. Branch was borderline elite when he was in NE, but he came here and showed he was merely above average. Went back to NE with Brady and bang! he's good again.

Eli doesn't have squat either. Its laughable how overrated whatever WR he plays with becomes.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm
  • Flynn for Fitz? I think we'd be giving up too much.. Maybe Flynn for Fitz, Peterson and Dockett.. plus 4 1sts
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:No way would I improve the Cardinals to the point of making them the next NFC West Powerhouse !

Eli doesn't have squat either. Its laughable how overrated whatever WR he plays with becomes.

You are underselling Nicks and Cruz.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm
  • No I am not. I'd catch 800 and 7 TD's with Eli.

Classic Deon Branch syndrome, except neither of those two were ever talented enough to be drafted in round 1.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 pm
  • warden wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote: but truly elite QBs don't need all-world receivers to run a dominant offense. .

Hmm

Peyton Manning had Harrison/ Wayne
    Montana had Rice
    Steve Young had Rice
    Marino had Duper and Clayton
    Warner had Bruce and Holt
    Aikman had Irvin
    Bradshaw had Swann and Stalworth

Just for starters , would you like me to continue

Gee, you think playing with HOF QBs might have aided in the development of some of those guys? Go look at Harrison and Wayne's career trajectory. Harrison's receiving yards went from 776 to 1,663 in Peyton's second year. It took Wayne four seasons with Peyton to break 1,000 yards. And now look what Peyton's doing for Decker and Thomas in Denver.

Please go see what Tom Brady has done for an entire career without a legitimate #1 receiver (besides Moss for one season). Please check out how the 2005 Seahawks had the most dominant offense in the NFL with a receiving corp worse than what we have now. Please take notice that Victor Cruz and Wes Welker were undrafted free agents who developed chemistry with great QBs. And finally, you might have already recognized that Russell Wilson has helped Golden Tate go from consensus bust to valuable contributor in a single season.

No one is denying we need to add more depth at WR. We just don't need to compromise significant cap space or talent to do it. Obsessing over finding "stud receivers" is quick way to bury your franchise. Go ask Detroit or Oakland how that worked out for them.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 pm
  • You would catch VD with Eli. If you were on the Giants, I give you 6 yards, 1 catch, and an extra point for the year.

True, Eli is a gambler and creates opportunities, but Nicks is good, and Cruz is a better UDFA than Baldwin by far.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm
  • Lol, don't really have much to add just, lol
    kbreitkreutz
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm
  • Also, regarding the perception that our receivers can't get "separation": a lot of this has to do with how careful Russell is with the ball, which is a great thing at this stage in his development. He doesn't make a lot of risky throws. As he continues to build chemistry with his receivers and as his own skills continue to develop, he'll become more confident in making the tighter throws, and the whole "separation" thing will become less of an issue.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 pm
  • I thought a dropkick is worth 2?
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I thought a dropkick is worth 2?

Yessir
    kbreitkreutz
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 pm
  • kbreitkreutz wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I thought a dropkick is worth 2?

Yessir

Scotte's SO DUMB.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 pm
  • Tony Ventrella and Clare Farnsworth for a six pack and some scratch tickets?
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:38 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    warden wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote: but truly elite QBs don't need all-world receivers to run a dominant offense. .

Hmm

Peyton Manning had Harrison/ Wayne
    Montana had Rice
    Steve Young had Rice
    Marino had Duper and Clayton
    Warner had Bruce and Holt
    Aikman had Irvin
    Bradshaw had Swann and Stalworth

Just for starters , would you like me to continue

Gee, you think playing with HOF QBs might have aided in the development of some of those guys? Go look at Harrison and Wayne's career trajectory. Harrison's receiving yards went from 776 to 1,663 in Peyton's second year. It took Wayne four seasons with Peyton to break 1,000 yards. And now look what Peyton's doing for Decker and Thomas in Denver.

Please go see what Tom Brady has done for an entire career without a legitimate #1 receiver (besides Moss for one season). Please check out how the 2005 Seahawks had the most dominant offense in the NFL with a receiving corp worse than what we have now. Please take notice that Victor Cruz and Wes Welker were undrafted free agents who developed chemistry with great QBs. And finally, you might have already recognized that Russell Wilson has helped Golden Tate go from consensus bust to valuable contributor in a single season.

No one is denying we need to add more depth at WR. We just don't need to compromise significant cap space or talent to do it. Obsessing over finding "stud receivers" is quick way to bury your franchise. Go ask Detroit or Oakland how that worked out for them.

Wayne had 1355 yards this year without Manning..
    Also, the year Brady had Moss it was by far his best statistical year.

No doubt that the HOF QB is good on his own, but to say that the QB makes them is a stretch. The only conclusion I can come to would be that it would definitely help a lot to have a pro bowl caliber WR on our team

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:47 pm
  • no body is on this Calais Campbell train with me huh?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:
    Wayne had 1355 yards this year without Manning..
    Also, the year Brady had Moss it was by far his best statistical year.

No doubt that the HOF QB is good on his own, but to say that the QB makes them is a stretch. The only conclusion I can come to would be that it would definitely help a lot to have a pro bowl caliber WR on our team

Wayne is the only decent skill player on that team, and Luck was chucking it this season. Of course he was going to get yards. The main point was that Manning helped develop Wayne into a good WR. He didn't walk into the league with pro-bowl skills.

And look, of course the offense gets a boost with super talented receivers. That generally happens when you put better players at any position. All I said was that an elite QB doesn't need all-world receivers to run a dominant offense, which has been proven time and time again. If the next Calvin Johnson falls in our lap, then great! But we don't need to spend tons of money or overreach in the draft to address this need. All I'm saying.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:08 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:Gee, you think playing with HOF QBs might have aided in the development of some of those guys? Go look at Harrison and Wayne's career trajectory. Harrison's receiving yards went from 776 to 1,663 in Peyton's second year. It took Wayne four seasons with Peyton to break 1,000 yards. And now look what Peyton's doing for Decker and Thomas in Denver.

Yeah and Harrison's yards actually went DOWN Peyton's rookie year (despite him breaking the record for rookie passing yards), despite the fact that a year previously he had John "led two teams in three years to the number 1 overall pick" Harbaugh throwing him the ball.

Terrible examples, Oakland didn't have a quarterback (as did Detroit for many years), and Detroit were doing pretty well with Johnson until they lost their running game completely
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:06 am
  • No way Matt Flynn is worth Larry Fitzgerald.

The Cardinals already traded for a QB similar to Flynn, with the same amount of experience in the NFL. His name was Kevin Kolb. That didn't work out too well for them. Kolb has a stronger arm than Flynn too.

I wonder if Steve Raible can still catch? Lets have him come out of retirement and sign him if we can't find a franchise receiver.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 am
  • We are paying Sydney Rice $8.5 million next season, while his cap# is $9 million..

Larry Fitgerald's salary for next season is listed at $5.25 million, but his cap# is $20 million..

How does that work?
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Sounds good but do u honestly think that would ever be considered from AZ point of veiw? :pray: Probably not. But there is a chance there's a trade made for Flynn at some point. :D
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:no body is on this Calais Campbell train with me huh?

He's a monster too. The Cards have a lot of talent on D. Hope they don't find a QB any time soon
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Larry is 29. His 128 million dollar contract takes him to 37. The way he looked this season I don't see him physically making it to the end of his agreement.

Our problem is not in recieving. It is in the O-Line not being able to open holes for our running backs against certain teams personell in the first half of a game. The Rams..Wash...The Falcons.. were all trouble for our O-Line in the first half of those games. The read option stagnates if our opponent doesn't respect the run.

It would be nice if we didn't have to put the team on the back of Wilson to come from behind in crucial second halves.

Whatever the problem is with our O-Line ..Fix it. Everything else will fall into place.
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm
  • I say we trade Flynn for Kevin Kolb.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:39 pm
  • ^ LOL NO!!! Please.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 pm
  • Flynn for Vincent wilfork
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 pm
  • Trades in the NFL are a relatively rare thing. Odds are good that we get our talent through the Draft.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 pm
  • xCalibur wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:Better chance of my ass spontaneously combusting tomorrow afternoon

lol...i second that.

Careful, you must have forgotten what happened last time a bunch of wise-guys made such a proclamation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPruGs4IyK4
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 pm
  • I'd prefer if we went after Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. Not only are both guys younger, but I think they'll come cheaper. Bowe for his recent injury issue, and Wallace for his recent reputation hit for holding out and then having a sub-par year for an under-achieving Steelers team.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm
  • kearly wrote:Honestly, if Fitzgerald was on the waiver wire I would not take him. Go to Spotrac and look at his cap hits for the next six or seven years. If we traded Flynn for Fitz, you might as well throw in Sherman and Earl, because we wouldn't have the money to extend them with that kind of contract on the books.

He also declined this year after putting up 1400 yards with the same QBs in 2011. Who's to say that decline isn't real?

AZ could end up releasing Fitz in a couple years. When that happens, I'd give him a reasonable contract. Until then, he's not worth it.

Holy crap i just did that. Did i read that right?! Is be really going to account for a $20M cap hit in 2015!? That's nutso. That's the stupidest contract I've ever seen! No wonder Arizona sucks...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 am
  • tacomahawk wrote:While I would love to have someone of Fitz's caliber, I do not want to make my enemy stronger. I also do not want to put Flynn in the same division with a possible chip on his shoulder that we would see twice a year.

This^

And, whoever said trade Flynn for Wilfork, I would be down for that.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 am
  • /thread
    ceej22
    NET Rookie

Previous

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]