NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spounge84

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3vyua8ht said:
Congrats, Sonics fans, now do your due diligence and actually attend the games, even when the team sucks.

You do realize that even in their last 2 years, the Sonics averaged around 16,000-15,000 fans per night. And this is in an arena that only seats about 17,000.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Kings might just tank on their own - what reason do they have to play hard when they know the current regiem is probably history and the team is moving. Lottery, here we come! :)

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Spounge84":28wy9dmk said:
SmokinHawk":28wy9dmk said:
Congrats, Sonics fans, now do your due diligence and actually attend the games, even when the team sucks.

You do realize that even in their last 2 years, the Sonics averaged around 16,000-15,000 fans per night. And this is in an arena that only seats about 17,000.

Why didn't any of them show up to the games, then? There were many occasions when Key Arena was anything other than packed.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to kill anyone's joy here. A lot of people are happy about the return of the basketball team, and I am happy for them.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Kings have the ninth worst record. Aren't the lottery teams the ones who don't make the playoffs? I can't remember how the NBA works. Maybe we can get Stern to put the fix in and hook us up with a high pick guard to go along with Cousins.

pehawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":251u67al said:
Spounge84":251u67al said:
SmokinHawk":251u67al said:

Why didn't any of them show up to the games, then? There were many occasions when Key Arena was anything other than packed.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to kill anyone's joy here. A lot of people are happy about the return of the basketball team, and I am happy for them.

Not REALLY. Attendence was never an issue. In terms of loyalty, the Sonics we're the heartiest fans in Seattle. Being contenders in 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's will do that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Looking at the positives, it took Clay Bennett to get rid of Wally Walker, hopefully we don't get a new GM that is threatened by coaches that know more then he does.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Oh, didn't you hear? Wally Walker is special buddies with the Hanson group. He's getting a pct and Team President title.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I'm just so happy for my city to get the NBA back. Like I've said before, I was never the biggest NBA fan, pretty fair-weather, but I wanted it badly for our city pride. I'll get really excited when we start hearing news of an NHL team coming here. Pro-Hockey was always a sport that I felt was missing a fan.... ME! Once I hear news of the NHL coming, I'll scour the rule books to learn that sport inside and out! I loves me some violence in my sports, and Hockey is a sport I'm willing to jump into big-time! But of course, when the SuperSonics make the playoffs, I'll be there in all my Band-Wagon glory! :lol:

The Outfield

Reaction score
BlueThunder":fr2f8jva said:
On an unimportant note, I'd like to know how to start a meaningful petition for Chris Hansen to bring back the "Super" to the "SuperSonics". I hated it when they declared they would now be known as the "Sonics". Sonics doesn't really mean anything. Now, SuperSonics means flying at faster than the speed of sound. WAY cooler! Don't know why they did that. And, of course, I really missed the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS! in the intro's... :D

I'm just so happy for my city to get the NBA back. Like I've said before, I was never the biggest NBA fan, pretty fair-weather, but I wanted it badly for our city pride. I'll get really excited when we start hearing news of an NHL team coming here. Pro-Hockey was always a sport that I felt was missing a fan.... ME! Once I hear news of the NHL coming, I'll scour the rule books to learn that sport inside and out! I loves me some violence in my sports, and Hockey is a sport I'm willing to jump into big-time! But of course, when the SuperSonics make the playoffs, I'll be there in all my Band-Wagon glory! :lol:

I agree, SuperSonics is 100x better of a name. It makes me think of Boeing and the futuristic past of Seattle - the space needle, the bubbleator, etc.

It's a shame that when I go to the Seattle Times and read the comments, 75% of the commenters seem to oppose the new team. I personally couldn't be happier with all that Hansen, Ballmer, etc have done to bring back our beloved Sonics.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The Outfield":3oawok9s said:
BlueThunder":3oawok9s said:

I agree, SuperSonics is 100x better of a name.

:th2thumbs:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":qi6bvk6t said:
The Outfield":qi6bvk6t said:
BlueThunder":qi6bvk6t said:

I agree, SuperSonics is 100x better of a name.

:th2thumbs:

Im kinda ignorant on the subject, but I thought we were always officially the SuperSonics, but we would be referred to as sonics as a shortened nickname, kinda like the hawks from seahawks and bucs from bucaneers. No?

pehawk

Reaction score
Can I ask why people wouldn't want Bird as GM?

To me, it appears he did very well in small-market Indiana. It's not a landing place for free agents, so Bird was forced to build that team through the draft. He also had to keep things fiscally responsible. He also tends to build in an old-school, 1980's, Kersey vs X-Man type of team.

In Seattle Bird can build that type of tough team, and be a player in free agency. Sounds like a good formula to me.

pehawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":23ai9xpp said:
Mike Dunleavy Jr. & Troy Murphy are why to me.

I cant remember if he drafted Murphy or not. If he did, weren't each taken about the spot other GM's would?

I swear last year you, peaches and I we're singing the praises of that Pacers squad. It was during the series that Bird came out and told his team to man-up and punch the Heat on the mouth.

I respect your view, but IMO, other factors have to be weighed when evaluating his tenure in Indiana. The same way s you cant necessarily use W's and L's to evaluate Raider HC's.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I thought Bird got fired last season? I might be wrong, they got their act together finally.

Trading for Granger was a good move, but it took 6-7 years for Bird to put a team around him, drafting George Paul was smart and getting George Hill was smart, I don't know if matching what the Blazers offered Hibbert was really exactly smart, he looks like hes regressed a bit.

Most underrated move in the NBA IMO was getting David West, the team got a constant double-double veteran to go along side Granger and Paul.

But honestly I wouldn't want Phil Jackson either, 'specially if it came down between Bird, Jackson, & RC Buford, I'll take Buford with the quickness, the Spurs model should be replicated more often IMO.

pehawk

Reaction score
Bird retired last year from that job. That team is his build.

As long as Hibbert's there they're a contender in the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts