Wilson's agent asks for raise?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Wilson's agent asks for raise?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am
  • Bunch of Hooey here! Wilson will get his payday!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am
  • Russell Wilson is officially the most underpaid player in the NFL. No doubt. He's making less than $3 million over 4 years, while his backup [Flynn] gets $26 million over three years. That's gotta suck. I doubt Wilson is the type of guy to be 'in it' just for the money. But you can't blame him for wanting a raise. If that's the case. Sounds more like RW's agent is looking to get a bonus for grabbing him a little more cash.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Can they give him a heafty Annuity?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm
  • I am all for this rookie salary cap.

Russel Wilson's big pay day is coming to him if he keeps this up for 3 seasons. Then when he gets his big payday, he will have earned it, received it on merit not potential.

This cap was needed big time, too many players like Arron Curry receiving big contracts for doing squat.
    warden
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm
  • everybody knows the big paydays come from nike and gatorade.all in due time the money will come, he's a ad man's dream
    come true.We finally got us one boys(wipes away tear).
    " There's levelz 2 these bezzles"
    HommyHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm
  • Sturm wrote:How about he just plays out the goddam contract he signed.

Tell him, Sturm! While you're at it, tell hit to pull his goddam pants up!! This isn't the prison yard for crying out loud!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    v1rotv2 wrote:This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

1) you missed the part that rookies subject to this didn't have a vote...
    2) You don't think the owners pushed for this?lol. Of course they did. Look at Bradford's contract and it is a joke

They simply went to far. A RB may have two three great years, suffer for life an never getthe second deal

1.) you missed the part when I said 100% on the players I did not say on 100% of the players. But remember this NFLPA could care less about future players. They know that it's the current players that pay the dues. It's those players that wanted a redistribution of the player share of revenue.

2.) Obviously you paid no attention to the contract agreement between the League and the NFLPA. The owners are required to pay out over 90% of the money they no longer have to pay to the rookies. That's how the NFLPA guaranteed the vets they would get the money. So basically it was a wash for the owners. The one benefit they get out of the deal is that rookie hold outs now are pretty much a thing of the past.

As far the RB that gets injured during his rookie contract that's life and it happens everyday to the millions of regular working folks. I bet the rookies look at disability insurance in a new light now.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:A few points/theories:

Would it be incredibly out of the question for Wilson's agent to at least bring the subject up with the Seahawks FO to simply keep dialogue open either regarding the future, or just in case any rules change in the offseason/future offseasons? These agents make money from new contracts, and I don't expect they like to sit around just 'hoping' everything works itself out. An inquiry and 'touching base' about the situation simply because that's part of your job doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Is the Agent just supposed to sit around for 3 seasons without doing his due-diligence in managing his clients?

These agents are experts at what they do; their entire livelyhood is based around this information so the idea that he simply 'didn't know' is obviously a joke.

The idea that Russell Wilson is standing outside paul allens office waiting for a hand out is equally ridiculous.

Russell Wilson is an investment for this agent; the idea that he isn't at least touching base about the contract and communicating in the best interest of any future deals or that if he is touching base about it, it's because he's clueless or RW is greedy is retarded.

Sometimes the media and fans need to grow up a bit and use their big-boy perspective on things.

It is pretty out of the question. It's an iron-clad part of the CBA that his contract won't be subject to change. Would you like it if you had an employee who had zero chance of getting a raise for two more years asking you about it? There's simply zero in it for RW or the agent to get on about it. All it does is start to establish a potential disgruntled player story. I'd be surprise if RW and his agent want to start those kinds of stories about him. Simply put again, no good can come from "touching base" about it right now.

Also, the team and Paul Allen can have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with him getting more money somehow. Those are the rules. Any under the table compensation also sets him up to look like a greedy, dissatisfied player. He's the exception to the rule of rookies and their payscale. As are guys like Sherman and it sucks for them, but they will get paid when it's time.
    MadSweeney
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm
  • Hey I'm with you guys. What we can do is create a Russell Wilson Micro Transaction site. We get 100,000 people to donate between 10 and 20 dollars once a year for 2 more years. Which will supplement his salary by 1 to 2 million.

His performances were definately worth a 20 spot this season. I just don't want to create the site, somebody else can do that. Also with that kind of support he should be showing well to prospective advertisers (which would supplement his salary further).
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm
  • v1rotv2 wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    v1rotv2 wrote:This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

1) you missed the part that rookies subject to this didn't have a vote...
    2) You don't think the owners pushed for this?lol. Of course they did. Look at Bradford's contract and it is a joke

They simply went to far. A RB may have two three great years, suffer for life an never getthe second deal

1.) you missed the part when I said 100% on the players I did not say on 100% of the players. But remember this NFLPA could care less about future players. They know that it's the current players that pay the dues. It's those players that wanted a redistribution of the player share of revenue.

2.) Obviously you paid no attention to the contract agreement between the League and the NFLPA. The owners are required to pay out over 90% of the money they no longer have to pay to the rookies. That's how the NFLPA guaranteed the vets they would get the money. So basically it was a wash for the owners. The one benefit they get out of the deal is that rookie hold outs now are pretty much a thing of the past.

As far the RB that gets injured during his rookie contract that's life and it happens everyday to the millions of regular working folks. I bet the rookies look at disability insurance in a new light now.

It is not 100% on the players. It is 100% on the players that agree to the CBA and 0% on incoming players the last two years

The owners did NOT like gettin hamstrung by Paton so much to unknown rookies. Total outlay is the same but they wanted this change big time
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:36 pm
  • Dude is going to be balls deep in endorsements by the start of next season. He'll be fine.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm
  • Why is this silliness four pages deep?

Uggh. Is it training camp yet?
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm
  • http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/2 ... wton_n.htm

""It won't be the same," Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said of his expectations for a rookie scale. "We all know that it's a common area of interest between us and the players. So it's reasonable to assume that there will be some changes there."
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 am
  • I love the rookie wage scale.A couple of years back teams were getting hamstrung by underperforming rookies eating up huge amounts of cap space.
    Pretty soon this team will have tough calls to make when Wilsons agent wants over 15 mil and you know Sherman wont be humble during contract talks he will be wanting over 10 a year.
    All good teams with developing stars end up keeping the 4 or 5 core players on either side of the ball and patching up the rest with low price pick ups.
    With the amazing job the FO has done drafting its going to almost impossible to keep this team together with all the huge pay raises coming up in the next few years. I wouldn't feel to bad for these guys they arn't missing any meals.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 am
  • Why not just keep him at the rookie contract until just before it runs out? Saves cap space that way.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 am
  • Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre
    RT @SI_PeterKing: Russell Wilson to me: "I speak for myself. I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract." More in my Tues column.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 am
  • I think this is more of an issue for fans than players. I am fairly certain wise players/agents have insurance policies out to insure that they make it into their contract year. Even without the cap, insuring players has always been around, but with the rookie cap, it's probably even more important for the younger guys now than ever before.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 am
  • CANHawk wrote:Well, hopefully some of his teammates can pitch in and buy him some new suits. Maybe set him up with a decent tailor.

It is kind of sad to see Wilson wearing those Jos. A Bank white banker suits. But if he was dressed like Deon Sanders that would suck more. He needs to take Golden with him next time he gets some threads. Golden wears some natty threads.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 am
  • pehawk wrote:It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

This is the CBA the player's association bargained.

On the flip side, it's also messed up that the Jets have to pay Mark Sanchez 9 million more dollars to stink it up next year.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre
    RT @SI_PeterKing: Russell Wilson to me: "I speak for myself. I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract." More in my Tues column.

Here's the actual article by Peter King:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130122/sean-payton-russell-wilson/?sct=hp_t2_a3

Russell Wilson says he hasn't asked for, and won't ask for, a new contract. Chris Mortensen reported that a representative of Wilson's reached out to the Seahawks and asked that his contract be modified in the way of his terrific rookie season, capped off by his 385-yard passing performance in a 30-28 playoff loss to Atlanta. Wilson reached out to me this morning to say: "I speak for myself, and I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract ... I have complete understanding and respect for the new CBA rules ... Anyone who knows me knows I play for the love of the game. I play for the challenge of being the best one day and know I have a long way to go.'' The CBA Wilson refers to is the Collective Bargaining Agreement, signed in July 2011, which mandates that rookies' contracts for draft choices not be "renegotiated, amended or altered in any way'' until after the final game of the player's third season. Wilson, a third-round pick in 2012 of the Seahawks, will make $527,000 and $662,000 over the next two seasons, and then, early in 2014, could get a commensurate payday from the Seahawks. But not until then. "I respect the NFL, respect the new CBA, respect my teammates, respect all of the other players across the league, and respect the Seattle Seahawks,'' Wilson added. So that puts a lid on that.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pehawk wrote:It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

On the flip side, it's also messed up that the Jets have to pay Mark Sanchez 9 million more dollars to stink it up next year.

That is in the contract that the Jets negotiated LAST YEAR. I mean if you are dumb enough to do that negotiation then you deserve what you got. This wasn't some unproven rookie this was a guy within their organization that they knew everything about.

We aren't going to give Trufant a $35 million 5 year contract at this point. If we did nobody would feel that it was messed up that we had to pay it right?
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pehawk wrote:It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

That is in the contract that the Jets negotiated LAST YEAR. I mean if you are dumb enough to do that negotiation then you deserve what you got. This wasn't some unproven rookie this was a guy within their organization that they knew everything about.

We aren't going to give Trufant a $35 million 5 year contract at this point. If we did nobody would feel that it was messed up that we had to pay it right?

I agree with you, I was just pointing out to the poster that the CBA is a two way street for the players.

IMO the NFL CBA is the fairest of ALL the pro sports CBA's. You play well you get rewarded. If you don't play well we can cut your ass if we've done our job with how we structured your contract.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am
  • Anybody glancing at this forum and seeing this thread topic would draw bad conclusions about our intelligence. Lock it, already. >.<
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am
  • Let's transition tag him when his rookie contract is up. That always works
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:Let's transition tag him when his rookie contract is up. That always works

His Rookie Contract is for 4 years, we can renegotiate after 3 years, giving us a full year to get him locked in long term before anyone else can even think about talking to him.

Basically, his rookie contract will not ever "be up". He will be extended before that happens.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information