Wilson's agent asks for raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispy

Reaction score
Maybe there are loopholes, but that's a slippery slope. If you set the precedent once, there will be Sophomores all over the NFL sitting out of camp because they didn't get a guaranteed endorsement/house/kickback.... The owners would never allow themselves to be pressured back into the same situation. ... and you know Jerry Jones would de everything he could to disallow it even if, in this particular case, it's the right thing to do.

Right now, no FO has to ever worry about a rookie or sophomore or even 3rd year player holding out. Yes, of course rookies can hold out, but probably for a few weeks of camp, not fractions of the season because the stakes are so much lower. I don't think anyone ever expects a Michael Crabtree scenario where his value was 0 for the first year because of a holdout.

Currently, rookies (right or wrong) have to trust they'll be paid for past and future performance on their second contract. I would guess, Paul Allen and the Seahawks might be more willing to do this than many other organizations.

... or we could all donate an extra $10,000 to bring him up to his earned 10 mil....

Hawknballs

Reaction score
A few points/theories:

Would it be incredibly out of the question for Wilson's agent to at least bring the subject up with the Seahawks FO to simply keep dialogue open either regarding the future, or just in case any rules change in the offseason/future offseasons? These agents make money from new contracts, and I don't expect they like to sit around just 'hoping' everything works itself out. An inquiry and 'touching base' about the situation simply because that's part of your job doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Is the Agent just supposed to sit around for 3 seasons without doing his due-diligence in managing his clients?

These agents are experts at what they do; their entire livelyhood is based around this information so the idea that he simply 'didn't know' is obviously a joke.

The idea that Russell Wilson is standing outside paul allens office waiting for a hand out is equally ridiculous.

Russell Wilson is an investment for this agent; the idea that he isn't at least touching base about the contract and communicating in the best interest of any future deals or that if he is touching base about it, it's because he's clueless or RW is greedy is retarded.

Sometimes the media and fans need to grow up a bit and use their big-boy perspective on things.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
In retrospect, there should be an "out-performing rookie contract" clause in the CBA that allows a player and his agent to appeal to a committee consisting of past players, past agents and the NFL, which would exist for the purpose of hearing cases like Russell Wilson's.

Appeals could be submitted to the committee after years one and two of rookie contracts are complete.

Just a thought to chew on.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawknballs - yeah except everyone knows he will get a raise not like this needs to be discussed even one bit. In a year they can start talking about $18 million / year vs $20 million......

mikeak

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":13i1iytm said:
In retrospect, there should be an "out-performing rookie contract" clause in the CBA that allows a player and his agent to appeal to a committee consisting of past players, past agents and the NFL, which would exist for the purpose of hearing cases like Russell Wilson's.

Appeals could be submitted to the committee after years one and two of rookie contracts are complete.

Just a thought to chew on.

I don't disagree with the thought behind this but it will create a mess with everyone trying to appeal (what is the downside right)...

I believe in set incentives. Set by the league and the untion. They are black and white. A 7th rounder is NOT getting paid with the expectancy that he plays 10 games in a season 50% of the snaps on either side of the ball and neither is a 3rd rounder etc. When they do you could very simply have escalators in there and the cost of those could apply to the cap 2 years down the road etc.

If they don't make expectations (expectations are what they get paid for) then they will get cut. Don't ever forget the other side of the coin to the whole "honor your contract argument" is that the owners have an out. They always have an out

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about what happens for rookies like wilson that out-perfrom their contracts, when they finally do get the chance for a new one, are there going to be astronomical demands that out-strip any current superstar contracts because they feel like they've been undervalued? (Wilson doesn't seem like the type of player to do so but we all now how unique he is).

If so the window for the Seahawks might be smaller than we think unless there are cap adjustments.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
mikeak":2j6ae313 said:
Hawknballs - yeah except everyone knows he will get a raise not like this needs to be discussed even one bit. In a year they can start talking about $18 million / year vs $20 million......

it's easy to say "its not worth talking about now" when it's not your career/job to manage a client and keep discussions open and expectations known with their employer.

From a fan perspective it's true that it's not worth discussing. As an agent, regardless of the CBA, there has to be some expectation of conversations about the future, or you wouldn't be doing your job right.

It's obvious nothing can be done now but there's no reason to not keep communication open until you get to that point.

If I invest 100K somewhere, but I'm not allowed to withdraw my principle or earnings for another 3 years, does that mean that the management of my assets is not worth routinely evaluating? I realize this isn't a 1-for-1 comparison but it's only naive to think that the agent isn't going to bother talking to the team for 3 years simply because the contract can't change right now.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Well, hopefully some of his teammates can pitch in and buy him some new suits. Maybe set him up with a decent tailor.

Veilside

Reaction score
This is so rediculously hilarious! I can't believe how many people (outside .net) actually think Wilson would be apart of this!! I don't believe even his agent would be this stupid just by associate alone.

I think if anyone in the league were to pull a "Ron Paul" and suggest his salary be 30k to make it easier for everyone else in the country to live; it would be Wilson.

Zowert

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is officially the most underpaid player in the NFL. No doubt. He's making less than $3 million over 4 years, while his backup [Flynn] gets $26 million over three years. That's gotta suck. I doubt Wilson is the type of guy to be 'in it' just for the money. But you can't blame him for wanting a raise. If that's the case. Sounds more like RW's agent is looking to get a bonus for grabbing him a little more cash.

warden

Reaction score
I am all for this rookie salary cap.

Russel Wilson's big pay day is coming to him if he keeps this up for 3 seasons. Then when he gets his big payday, he will have earned it, received it on merit not potential.

This cap was needed big time, too many players like Arron Curry receiving big contracts for doing squat.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
everybody knows the big paydays come from nike and gatorade.all in due time the money will come, he's a ad man's dream
come true.We finally got us one boys(wipes away tear).

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Sturm":3m7zo31k said:
How about he just plays out the goddam contract he signed.

Tell him, Sturm! While you're at it, tell hit to pull his goddam pants up!! This isn't the prison yard for crying out loud!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
mikeak":1ar8j4k5 said:
v1rotv2":1ar8j4k5 said:
This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

1) you missed the part that rookies subject to this didn't have a vote...
2) You don't think the owners pushed for this?lol. Of course they did. Look at Bradford's contract and it is a joke

They simply went to far. A RB may have two three great years, suffer for life an never getthe second deal

1.) you missed the part when I said 100% on the players I did not say on 100% of the players. But remember this NFLPA could care less about future players. They know that it's the current players that pay the dues. It's those players that wanted a redistribution of the player share of revenue.

2.) Obviously you paid no attention to the contract agreement between the League and the NFLPA. The owners are required to pay out over 90% of the money they no longer have to pay to the rookies. That's how the NFLPA guaranteed the vets they would get the money. So basically it was a wash for the owners. The one benefit they get out of the deal is that rookie hold outs now are pretty much a thing of the past.

As far the RB that gets injured during his rookie contract that's life and it happens everyday to the millions of regular working folks. I bet the rookies look at disability insurance in a new light now.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Hawknballs":w7mknaay said:
A few points/theories:

Would it be incredibly out of the question for Wilson's agent to at least bring the subject up with the Seahawks FO to simply keep dialogue open either regarding the future, or just in case any rules change in the offseason/future offseasons? These agents make money from new contracts, and I don't expect they like to sit around just 'hoping' everything works itself out. An inquiry and 'touching base' about the situation simply because that's part of your job doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Is the Agent just supposed to sit around for 3 seasons without doing his due-diligence in managing his clients?

These agents are experts at what they do; their entire livelyhood is based around this information so the idea that he simply 'didn't know' is obviously a joke.

The idea that Russell Wilson is standing outside paul allens office waiting for a hand out is equally ridiculous.

Russell Wilson is an investment for this agent; the idea that he isn't at least touching base about the contract and communicating in the best interest of any future deals or that if he is touching base about it, it's because he's clueless or RW is greedy is retarded.

Sometimes the media and fans need to grow up a bit and use their big-boy perspective on things.

It is pretty out of the question. It's an iron-clad part of the CBA that his contract won't be subject to change. Would you like it if you had an employee who had zero chance of getting a raise for two more years asking you about it? There's simply zero in it for RW or the agent to get on about it. All it does is start to establish a potential disgruntled player story. I'd be surprise if RW and his agent want to start those kinds of stories about him. Simply put again, no good can come from "touching base" about it right now.

Also, the team and Paul Allen can have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with him getting more money somehow. Those are the rules. Any under the table compensation also sets him up to look like a greedy, dissatisfied player. He's the exception to the rule of rookies and their payscale. As are guys like Sherman and it sucks for them, but they will get paid when it's time.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Hey I'm with you guys. What we can do is create a Russell Wilson Micro Transaction site. We get 100,000 people to donate between 10 and 20 dollars once a year for 2 more years. Which will supplement his salary by 1 to 2 million.

His performances were definately worth a 20 spot this season. I just don't want to create the site, somebody else can do that. Also with that kind of support he should be showing well to prospective advertisers (which would supplement his salary further).

mikeak

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2wisw1q7 said:
mikeak":2wisw1q7 said:
v1rotv2":2wisw1q7 said:
This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

1) you missed the part that rookies subject to this didn't have a vote...
2) You don't think the owners pushed for this?lol. Of course they did. Look at Bradford's contract and it is a joke

They simply went to far. A RB may have two three great years, suffer for life an never getthe second deal

1.) you missed the part when I said 100% on the players I did not say on 100% of the players. But remember this NFLPA could care less about future players. They know that it's the current players that pay the dues. It's those players that wanted a redistribution of the player share of revenue.

2.) Obviously you paid no attention to the contract agreement between the League and the NFLPA. The owners are required to pay out over 90% of the money they no longer have to pay to the rookies. That's how the NFLPA guaranteed the vets they would get the money. So basically it was a wash for the owners. The one benefit they get out of the deal is that rookie hold outs now are pretty much a thing of the past.

As far the RB that gets injured during his rookie contract that's life and it happens everyday to the millions of regular working folks. I bet the rookies look at disability insurance in a new light now.

It is not 100% on the players. It is 100% on the players that agree to the CBA and 0% on incoming players the last two years

The owners did NOT like gettin hamstrung by Paton so much to unknown rookies. Total outlay is the same but they wanted this change big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts