Still hung-up on the 65-yard FG attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I hate to say this, but I think Longwell is actually the guy who cost us the game. After Seattle scored the go ahead Touch down, all he needed to do was boot the ball out of the endzone and give them the ball at their 20.
NO. His kick off was returned to the 33 yards line. That's a massive difference of 13 yards. I don't know if Matt Ryan would have completed three long passes in a row. Everyone of the Falcons offense started well above the 25 yards line, while the Seahawks had to go 80 yards.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It was a team loss. Longwell didn't cost us anything all by himself, but he certainly contributed per your observation.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":27m3zxpb said:
Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.

When it hit the ground before even reaching the end zone you wouldn't have loved it.

I could get your "adrenaline" argument for a 55 or 58 yarder. A 65 yarder? Not a chance in hell.

I remember when I was a kid playing Madden, if you tried over a 55 yarder and missed. Madden would laugh at you and say, "Who do they think their kicker is, Superman?"

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Longwell would not even come close, just does not have that type of leg, heck not many kickers period have that type of leg, at least a hail-mary gave us a slim chance.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
The Hail Mary at least had a chance Wilson got the ball into the end zone also we could have gotten a PI call and won the game that way, the FG is never going to happen with Longwell from 65 yards. OP is saying well it's just an extra 30 feet well that's a big deal and Longwell is a long way from his prime when he could kick a 55 yarder.

We could go out there with 1000 footballs, no defense on the field and just let him kick every one of them from 65 he's not going to make any not a week ago, not today and at no point in the future is he making a 65 yard field goal.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":3emytoun said:
sutz":3emytoun said:
Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

;)

Thank You, Sutz !!! :th2thumbs:
FINALLY, a response that I can totally agree with.....
I'll bye the hail-mary play to get a possible PI call and one more final play for the win......THIS MAKES SENSE

Otherwise, I'd have to "agree to disagree" with most responses from this thread...
sorry, I just think the FG was worth the try here....something tells me it was makeable at that time ??

Well, that weed legalization thing just kicked in, didn't it? Maybe that's what's telling you it was a makeable kick.

Look, only 12 FGs in NFL history have been 60+ yards. Only 4 have been made from 63, and two of those were at a mile elevation where the thinner air aided the kick. It's not an accident that there are so few successful kicks from that range.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Greg Zeurlein of the Rams I'd let try the 65-yarder, but nobody else in the league would even be close.
It could have been interesting to line up like attempting a FG but then throw the Hail Mary. Except I think Jon Ryan is the holder. So there's the case for signing Tebow, right there. Line up for the FG, Tebow as the holder, either throw the Hail Mary to Tate/Rice for the win, or run it in himself, or maybe a throw to Tate on the left, then a 31-home-run-throwback to Tebow on the right. Actually make that first throw to Rice. And there's always the hook and ladder play back to the QB. (Remember the Dolphins hook-and-ladder that beat the Steelers?)

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
In Denver on a clear day with a perfectly straight tail wind...I'd still go for the hail mary.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Twisted":20c9pup8 said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":20c9pup8 said:
OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.

the percentage of kicking the FG is hihger than the 65 yarder, simply because there are no fails, cuz no one trys em

it was a sign, new kicker, FG to win, 63 yards is the current record, rookie in the superbowl...

you guys don't get how magic works or why it works for that matter, keep fighting it, see how that works out for ya...

:lol:

He's damn near 40.. the ball wouldn't have gone past the 5.

Twisted

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1f3emspb said:
I hate to say this, but I think Longwell is actually the guy who cost us the game.

meh, smite the Gods they will smite you back 10 fold

NOT having longwell kick the 2 3s in the first half were the real mistakes, payback, karma whatever, it was a poor decision to not kick the 3 and maybe one that will haunt PC the rest of his life, especially if he never gets to the bowl game...

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, some kid at my old high school here in Spokane made a 67 yard field goal.

If some 17 year old kid can make a 67 yard field goal, why can't a 38 year old make a 65 yarder?

Well, it's all in the past now. We already had one hail mary this season, I suppose that was enough

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Jerhawk":190tb2x0 said:

If some 17 year old kid can make a 67 yard field goal, why can't a 38 year old make a 65 yarder?

Well, it's all in the past now. We already had one hail mary this season, I suppose that was enough

That 17 year old kid didn't have an entire line of 6' 4" 250 pound men who are some of the best athletes in the country jumping up to try and block the kick.

ceej22

Reaction score
Zowert":dxy6onoe said:
They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.

It took them 4 seconds to get what 5-8 yards on the first pass play. You think they had time for another 15 yards? NO WAY

Largent80

Reaction score
Holy shit man, why is this still being discussed.. Does the term move along mean anything?

Reaction score
Jerhawk":oe8qf92g said:

The kid in your highschool used a tee. Not to mention the fact that he didn't have to kick over a NFL size defensive line.

ensett

Reaction score
olyfan63":2pdf7ila said:
Greg Zeurlein of the Rams I'd let try the 65-yarder, but nobody else in the league would even be close.
It could have been interesting to line up like attempting a FG but then throw the Hail Mary. Except I think Jon Ryan is the holder. So there's the case for signing Tebow, right there. Line up for the FG, Tebow as the holder, either throw the Hail Mary to Tate/Rice for the win, or run it in himself, or maybe a throw to Tate on the left, then a 31-home-run-throwback to Tebow on the right. Actually make that first throw to Rice. And there's always the hook and ladder play back to the QB. (Remember the Dolphins hook-and-ladder that beat the Steelers?)

I'd let Janikowski try it, he might have the strongest leg in the league. The Raiders even tried a 76 yarder, into the wind, with him a few years ago. He only kicked it to the 1 or 2 yard line, but that's still pretty good. Other than that, yeah. 65 yard FGs are something you only try if the conditions are all in your favor, and even then, its iffy.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Someone mentioned being in a dome would have extended his range. Domes only help with directional kicks, not with the distance.

Longwell played in Minnesota several years, and his career long was still only 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.