How much of our top ranked defense is....

Axx

Reaction score
How much of our top ranked defense is a product of personalle, and how much of it was a product of Gus Bradley?
Were we a top ranked defense off of pure talent? how big of a role did Gus Bradley play into us having a top 5 unit across the board.

ProckHawks

Reaction score
I doubt we'll see a drop off with him gone. Players like Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Mebane and Wright ae just to good. This is Petes defense. He installed it when he came to Seattle. Gus was good at calling the plays and making adjustments.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It was because of talent and a top 5 D despite Gus Bradleys crap schemes and playcalling!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Well, the players are talented, no doubt, so they deserve most if the credit, but lets not forget, Gus and Pete turned one youngest team in the league, made up of mostly lower draft prices, into a top defense.

You cab hate Gus for his scheme and playcall, but it hard to ignore that the results. Plus, I'd say that there's the side of player development that we as fans don't get to see because it happens behind the scene, on the practice field and in the film room. I have a feeling that was one of Gus' strong suits.

Smoke

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1i27rnrn said:
Well, the players are talented, no doubt, so they deserve most if the credit, but lets not forget, Gus and Pete turned one youngest team in the league, made up of mostly lower draft prices, into a top defense.

You cab hate Gus for his scheme and playcall, but it hard to ignore that the results. Plus, I'd say that there's the side of player development that we as fans don't get to see because it happens behind the scene, on the practice field and in the film room. I have a feeling that was one of Gus' strong suits.

I disagree. Sherman, Kam, Browner, 2010/2011 Red Bryant, Clem, KJ, Wagner are all players that match Pete's scheme. Pete is the architect of the Defense, and we are about to see that our Defense Coordinator is plug and play.

Dan Quin is going to be to our Defensive line as Cable is to our Offensive line
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -in/nTBzg/

Im a betting man, and I bet that our Defense gets better under Quin. Imagine that, and drool

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":27x6iewb said:
It was because of talent and a top 5 D despite Gus Bradleys crap schemes and playcalling!

Uh oh, another 'expert' post. Yeah the lack of pressure from our base set was all Bradley's fault. Considering we were lacking TALENT on the D line, it's a wonder our D was ranked in the top 5. That was some GOOD coaching that got us there.

formido

Reaction score
I don't know, but here is Brock Huard breaking down the first play of that season ending drive:

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2179342/Chal ... ff-Falcons

Note that Brock says when he was a QB the thing he didn't want to see in this situation was press man coverage. He wanted to see zone so that he had big space to throw into.

We had a top 3 press man coverage unit, but you know which coverage we chose.

Press man is what had got Ryan off the field the last two drives, trying to thread the needle on those tightly covered out routs. Ryan was choking. I don't see any way he converts on that drive into tight coverage. We had the personnel. We made it as hard as possible for them to be successful.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Hopefully it was Bradley as we couldnt stop teams when we needed to this season.

We need some (who knows where they are going to come from) defensive lineman and we need to dump Trufant. Zero pressure on the QB at too many times this season. Failures, like Trufant's on the last drive against Atlanta, have haunted us a critical times this season.

We need help or we are just going to be in track meets with any team that has a good offense.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Hard to say, it may be Carroll's scheme but Bradley setup the rotations, play calling, and game plans, so losing him will be felt on game day. Also, I think Bradley was somewhat responsible for teaching so many of our young players and getting them starting early with results. I do think Quinn can accomplish this as well but we'll have to wait and see if we get better or worse when it counts.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Better question is how much of our top ranked defense is a product of the 12th Man?

Not taking anything away from our defense, because it is great......but I see our offense being better than our defense next year.

12evanf

Reaction score
Our offense looked top 5, not our defense. Looking forward to the draft and Dan Quinn.

OP
OP
Axx

Axx

Reaction score
Steve2222":jfbln9j9 said:
Better question is how much of our top ranked defense is a product of the 12th Man?

Not taking anything away from our defense, because it is great......but I see our offense being better than our defense next year.

Our secondary and linebackers looked great on the road, our d-line looked pretty bad even at home several times during the year.
Even against the 49ers, Kaepersnicks had all day to throw the ball unless if we blitzed LBs.

mrblitz

Reaction score
yeah, our d-line didn't hold up very well this last season.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Personnel decisions... 30%

Pete's contribution in scheme/personnel... 50%

Bradley's contribution... 20%

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Smoke":3mz9p8xn said:
Recon_Hawk":3mz9p8xn said:

I disagree. Sherman, Kam, Browner, 2010/2011 Red Bryant, Clem, KJ, Wagner are all players that match Pete's scheme. Pete is the architect of the Defense, and we are about to see that our Defense Coordinator is plug and play.

Dan Quin is going to be to our Defensive line as Cable is to our Offensive line
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -in/nTBzg/

Im a betting man, and I bet that our Defense gets better under Quin. Imagine that, and drool
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, but I do agree we get better on defense, though I would have said that if either Bradley or Quinn was here next year. We're a young defense with room to grow and we'll have a few new players on the defensive line through the draft and FA. We better improve!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Axx":l6re8h8d said:
Steve2222":l6re8h8d said:

Our secondary and linebackers looked great on the road, our d-line looked pretty bad even at home several times during the year.
Even against the 49ers, Kaepersnicks had all day to throw the ball unless if we blitzed LBs.

That kind of what Im saying in a way. Our DL is definitely the weakness of our defense, especially rushing the passer. However, that weakness is concealed better at Cent Link where they can get an actual jump on the OL due to crowd noise.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Axx":3u8a5oo5 said:
How much of our top ranked defense is a product of personalle, and how much of it was a product of Gus Bradley?
Were we a top ranked defense off of pure talent? how big of a role did Gus Bradley play into us having a top 5 unit across the board.
Having talented players makes the Coaches look good.
Players still have to "Get It Done" regardless how the play gets called.
Bradley screwed up in the last few playcalls in the Falcons game, by positioning his players in the wrong places.
You could have driven a Mack Truck thru the hole on that long pass by Ryan and his wide open Receiver.
You could tell that Browner was peeved about that particular play call by the Defense Coach...I'm glad he's gone, and I'm not looking back,,,,,,Welcome Home Quinn,,,,now, please learn from Bradleys mistakes.