Are there any future Hall of Famers on our current roster?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Obviously its way, way, way too early to be saying that any of our players are future Hall of Famers, but I still think its fun to look to the future and to speculate. I see 3 guys who have a legit good chance of being HOF'ers some day and a few others who might get some consideration.

1. Richard Sherman: Even though he hasnt made a probowl yet he was widely considered the best cornerback in football this year. Plus the All Pro selection shows that he has the respect of the writers who vote for Hall of Fame. Any time you're the best at your position you deserve consideration. If he can put together another 4 or 5 years playing at his current level, and then 3 or 4 at a pretty high level after that, i think he'll be in Canton.

2. Russell Wilson: For him I think it will come down to winning Super bowls. If he wins 2 or more, which I fully expect him to do, he'll be in. And you just know he'll end his induction speech with, "Go Hawks!"

3. Earl Thomas: He's 3 for 3 in Probowl selections and already has 2 (i think?) All Pro selections so he has the respect of players, media and fans across the country. If he can keep it up I think he has a pretty good chance.

Two guys who I think will get a bit of consideration and maybe a few votes are Lynch and Okung, but ultimatly I think they'll come up short. Of course, if we can string together 2 or 3 Super Bowls over the next seven or eight years our guys will get a ton of national recognition and it might help a few of their causes.

So, bottom line, Let's go win a few Super Bowls!!!

P.s. I believe Owen Schmitt will be eligible for Canton in 3 more years, and we all know that he's a lock.

ProckHawks

Reaction score
Thomas-Two probowls and a All-ro. Already on his way if he keeps it up
Sherman-Only if he has like 6/7 more seasons like this.

Wilson, Okung, Wagner have a good chance if they keep on improving and ball out for 10plus years

Axx

Reaction score
Russel Okung and Max Unger, if we can get this kind of production out of them for the next 8+ years they are shoe in hall of famers.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Axx":1yyjgo77 said:
Russel Okung and Max Unger, if we can get this kind of production out of them for the next 8+ years they are shoe in hall of famers.

I might be wrong but I believe center is the hardest position (other then punter) to get into the HOF. Even if he's the best center in the league for the next decade there's a good chance he wouldn't make it.

drdiags

Reaction score
This crop would have to be part of a couple championships before thinking they would be able to get into the HOF. At least that is my thinking. I don't think the young guys have started out with eye-popping performances. Really good start but not league-wide explosive playmaking for ET and injuries hit Okung/Unger early. Sherman needs to keep up his current performance level but I think he can get there.

Reaction score
JSeahawks":g4sqrprd said:
Axx":g4sqrprd said:

I might be wrong but I believe center is the hardest position (other then punter) to get into the HOF. Even if he's the best center in the league for the next decade there's a good chance he wouldn't make it.

Don't forget about Long Snaper.

Matticus

Reaction score
Right now I think everyone who has looks like they could be one are too young to really know. If he can keep up the same level of play every year for 5-6 years Sherman is the only one I can say I think could. It's far too early though.

Erebus

Reaction score
Matticus":2slh5hcn said:
Right now I think everyone who has looks like they could be one are too young to really know. If he can keep up the same level of play every year for 5-6 years Sherman is the only one I can say I think could. It's far too early though.

So you dont think Wilson could?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Too early to tell, what really helps a Hall of Fame resume is All-Pro selections and Super Bowl wins. Especially for a QB. I think Thomas is off to a great start though, only 23 already 2 pro-bowls and 1 all-pro.

BASF

Reaction score
I believe that Earl Thomas needs to improve his hands before we start talking about the Hall Of Fame. He left about five interceptions out there this season. The argument is always, "He gets to more balls than other people could, so the fact he didn't bring it in is kind of negated." However, he will be the first person to tell you that he left picks out there and that he should have had them.

Rat

Reaction score
It is really, really hard for a safety to make it, but hopefully that'll change by five years after Thomas retires.

Next to zero chance for Lynch. RBs have too short a shelf life and Lynch has too far to go to get there.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Rat":3h04twqj said:
It is really, really hard for a safety to make it, but hopefully that'll change by five years after Thomas retires.

Next to zero chance for Lynch. RBs have too short a shelf life and Lynch has too far to go to get there.

Lynch is turning 27 and has 6000 yards so the chance isn't at zero but he would have to maintain his level for at least 4 more seasons before dropping off into mediocrity. I would say around 6000 more yards at least. He does have a little bit of notoriety (beast quake) which will help him and his running style is admired by all.

drdiags

Reaction score
TDOT, Lynch's back makes me leery about him holding up another 4 years. I could see maybe 2 more before he becomes like Michael Turner with the Falcons.

themunn

Reaction score
Thomas will have to up his game considerably to be considered for the HoF.
Only two safeties that played after 1980 have made it - Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson, and of the 12 players that have made it as a safety, every single one of them has at least career 48 interceptions, though Woodson and Lott have 134 between them.

I think Thomas is capable of 50+ career interceptions as he can get to the ball, he just needs to catch them.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
drdiags":1jr7vwat said:
TDOT, Lynch's back makes me leery about him holding up another 4 years. I could see maybe 2 more before he becomes like Michael Turner with the Falcons.

I am not saying it is likely - just that the chance isn't zero.

As for Thomas, I think he will be the eminent safety of his generation - like Ed Reed was for his. Thomas will literally have to be a perennial pro-bowler/all-pro. The thing with safeties is that most of them are retired corners or journeymen. Rod Woodson was a corner first. There aren't many safeties who play safety from

Ed Reed will make it without a doubt. Dawkins has a good chance. Lynch less-so. Polamalu may be Easley-ed if he doesn't come back from his injuries.

firebee

Reaction score
Potential Hall of Fame candidates???

First, I'd like to say that I think some are vastly overrating our offensive line. Wilson 's mobility and Lynch's ability to break tackles makes our offensive line look a lot better than it really is. If we had a back that wasn't hard to bring down like McFadden or Bush and a pocket QB like Matt Ryan, Stafford or Manning; our line would've given up a lot of TFLs and Sacks this year. I'm not saying Unger and Okung didn't play well, but I am saying they didn't play as well as some are being led to believe. Okung has to stay healthy and keep playing at a high level if he wants to get in and Unger needs to limit the number of missed assignments by our offensive line if he wants to get in. Interior blitzers coming through free was a major problem for our offensive line this year, but I'm going to chalk that up to a lack of experience at the OG position.

My Most Likely Potential HoF candidates...
Richard Sherman, Brandon Mebane and Russell Wilson.

My under the radar HoF candidate...
JR Sweezy... This kid is going to be a monster at OG once he settles into the position.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It's way to early to tell. If all of them retired today, of course we'd have none. However, plenty of players have put together a solid past couple seasons.....

Earl Thomas
Russell Okung
Max Unger
Richard Sherman
Marshawn Lynch

And the emergence this year of these young players

Russell Wilson
Bobby Wagner
Richard Sherman

All 8 of these players are currently Top 5 at their respected positions (yes that includes Wilson) imo. All are in the Top 100 players in the NFL in my book too.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Guys, Earl Thomas has TWO pro Bowls and TWO All Pro's. He was 1st team all pro in 2012 and 2nd team all pro in 2011. He started both years in the Pro Bowl.