• Mike Wallace

Votes: 90 52.0%
  • Wes Welker

Votes: 23 13.3%

• Total voters

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3nr1kw57 said:
So what you're saying is the Hawks are mis-using Tate. Interesting.

It would be fun to have endless game film on Welker... and also on Tate... and overlap one image on top of the other while they are both running the same route.

My guess is if we were able to do that, Welker's league-leading success in catches and YAC would be obvious.

Just a hunch.

I'm not saying that the Hawks are "mis-using" Tate whatsoever. It's about realizing what this team already has on its roster ... and what's missing. Right now, the Seahawks already have 2 guys who can play in the slot and do a good job with that -- Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. What they DON'T have ... is a guy who has real game breaking speed. No WR on this roster really has that -- Wallace does. And Tate's skill-set translates very well to the slot ... and in fact, I believe he'd be quite dangerous there. Tate excels at really making things happen and once he has the ball in his hands -- precisely what you ask a slot receiver to do.

I contend that if the Seahawks DO add a guy like Wallace that they're going to be running a lot of 3 WR sets next season. That's exactly what I would do IF they add a receiver like him.

Adding a guy like Wallace to the mix would help out the rest of the receiving corps immensely, as having a receiver with that kind of speed gives opposing secondaries someone that they really have to worry about. He would make Sidney Rice and Golden Tate all that much more productive ... as he'd create greater separation for them out there in zone coverages. That's what adding that kind of speed can do.

Wes Welker doesn't have that same kind of speed -- and as I said, they have guys like this on the roster already. Plus, I just don't see that Welker fits in with the whole "youth first" philosophy that Carroll and Schneider both clearly have. Welker will be 32 when the 2013 Season starts ... whereas Wallace will be 26. Something else to keep in mind.

formido

Reaction score
We don't need another receiver. Rice is awesome. There's no reason to think something will happen with another receiver that can't happen with Rice. Wilson just has to trust him to make plays. Rice cleaned up with Favre cos Favre would just throw it to him. Wilson prefers to play it safer.

Look at Favre mic'd up talking about Rice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -nM#t=155s

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
formido":26zk2yuw said:
We don't need another receiver. Rice is awesome. There's no reason to think something will happen with another receiver that can't happen with Rice. Wilson just has to trust him to make plays. Rice cleaned up with Favre cos Favre would just throw it to him. Wilson prefers to play it safer.

Look at Favre mic'd up talking about Rice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -nM#t=155s

Rice IS awesome ... and adding another WR who can make plays as well (and really stretch the field) makes him even MORE awesome. Having 3 WR's out there (Rice, Tate, and Wallace) plus a TE who can do the same makes a team even that much more dangerous. Case in point -- tonight's AFC Championship Game (the Patriots). There's a reason that that team is in the AFC Championship -- and it's not just because of Tom Brady. That WR corps is downright scary (no real weaknesses -- with Gronkowski that is) - and because of that, makes that offense even more difficult to defend. That's something I'd love the Hawks to have as well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I didn't realize Bowe was that "slow"... but compared to Wallace, yes.
I think we need a big, physical, fast receiver. I say pick one up in the draft and let him develop. We'll probably have a healthy Baldwin next year.
All that said, Wes Welker would be a great add for a couple seasons. The dude just gets open. He'd be awesome with a scrambling QB like Wilson.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Welker drops a TON of passes, especially lately. No thanks. Our offense doesn't throw enough to be able to put up with guys who miss their opportunities.

Say what you will about our receivers, but they made their catches all year. I think Miller will have a big receiving year; Tate will continue to develop, and hopefully Rice and Baldwin can get a little healthier than they've been. I think we also draw up more receiving opportunities for Turbin. Hopefully, we can find a big, athletic WR somewhere in the draft and give them a chance to develop.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
olyfan63":3decukp2 said:
I didn't realize Bowe was that "slow"... but compared to Wallace, yes.
I think we need a big, physical, fast receiver. I say pick one up in the draft and let him develop. We'll probably have a healthy Baldwin next year.
All that said, Wes Welker would be a great add for a couple seasons. The dude just gets open. He'd be awesome with a scrambling QB like Wilson.

I agree that Schneider probably WILL draft a WR ... but part of the issue with looking to improve the offense for next season is that the vast majority of WR's don't make a real splash in Year 1. They just don't. Take a look at a list of many of the greats and you'll find again and again that it takes time for these guys to develop. Sidney Rice wasn't Sidney Rice in year 1 ... neither was Golden Tate ... neither are tons of other receivers out there if you take a look at their profiles. I don't care if you're talking about guys like Sidney Rice ... or Hall of Famers like Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, and Michael Irvin -- very, very rarely do WR's make a real splash in their first year.

So, IF the Seahawks are looking to improve their offense even more ... they're probably also going to look to add someone via Free Agency. From where I'm standing, the one element that this WR corp is really lacking is Speed. The only guy I see on the Free Agent Market who's a potential impact player who has that is Mike Wallace. And if you believe the reports, it is highly unlikely that the Steelers will use the Franchise tag on Wallace ...

http://nfltraderumors.co/steelers-likely-wont-use-franchise-tag-on-wr-mike-wallace/

Would truly be interesting if he pops free and becomes a UFA, that's for sure.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Wes Welker ?... This guy has taken so many hits in his life (look at his frame)... I'm not sure he can play another few years ...

edogg23

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it. Sign Wallace and drop Rice. Rice is good but he isn't earning his fat paycheck with Russell for whatever reason.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
kearly":30d9rflc said:
I lean towards Welker. He was good before NE. He's not playing his age yet, and fast players tend to age better. He'd sign a shorter contract because of his age. Welker is the best slot WR in the NFL, he'd be an enormous upgrade over Baldwin. He is very hard to defend, and can get open at will. He's even a deep threat.

I'd be very surprised if New England let him hit UFA, but if they did, I'd love to see Seattle schedule him a visit.

Problem is, not only is Baldwin fine in the slot but slot guys are a dime a dozen. I think we need an outside guy more than anything else who can beat press coverage. Wallace is the superior option.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wallace would be a huge upgrade and fit well with Wilson...but at what cost? You can expect his new contract to about a 5yr $55mil with $26m guaranteed

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... itzgerald/

Rice's is currently 5yr $41 mil, If we bring in a $$$ FA WR like Wallace you can bet we will not be resigning Tate after next season to anything but a modest contract.

Winterfell

Reaction score
My personal choice would be Mike Wallace.

There are a lot of criteria that should be kept in mind.

Team Need:
In this regards, Mike Wallace makes the most sense. We don't have an elite speed WR who can stretch the field and open the underneath routes for our TE and slot receiver, and pull a LB or S back from the line of scrimmage to make things easier for Lynch.

Also Wallace would play to our QBs strength of a cannon plus arm, and our team's offense would have the capability of striking from anywhere on the field.

Wallace wins.

Out of the four FA WRs mentioned, Wallace is the youngest and freshest, followed by Bowe, then Jennings, and lastly Welker.

We don't want a WR who has a lot of mileage on him, it's safer for us to go with someone younger.

Wallace wins.

Speed:

Not much to comment, Wallace is the winner here.

Wallace wins.

Height:

Order from tallest to shortest is Bowe, Wallace, Jennings, then Welker.

Bowe wins (with Mike Wallace second).

Previous QBs
I think the QBs for these FA WRs should also be taken into account. Try to look for the WR who has done the most with the least help/talent around him. If we talk about elite QBs then we should take out Welker and Jennings, since Brady and Rodgers respectively were throwing to them. They are most likely to have benefited from phenomenal QB play.

And if you look at it there is truth to it. Jennings was out and Rodgers was able to keep the engine running quite well without him, throwing it to Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, James Jones, and Jermichael Finley. Same with Welker. Even when Belichick was sitting Welker in favor for Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez, and Rob Gronkowski, Brady was still keeping the offense rolling. It wasn't until alternating injuries to Hernandez, Edelman, and Gronkowski that Belichick was forced to go back to Welker.

On the other hand, Wallace had only a good, but not elite, QB throwing to him on an aging team with less offensive talent compared to the Patriots and Packers. Bowe had a mediocre QB throwing to him on a horrible Chiefs team. Wallace and Bowe had success with less going for them the last few years, so in this category Wallace and Bowe would win.

Wallace and Bowe win.

Quality of Opposing Defenses:
Next we should probably consider the strength of the passing defense these FA WRs have had to face, and mostly focus on defense within their own division since that is the only constant year in year out, plus they play 6 games against divisional rivals every year.

Now I don't want to type it all out, but in my personal belief Wallace (AFC North) has had to face stronger defenses overall the past several seasons compared to Bowe (AFC West), Welker (AFC East), and Jennings (NFC North).

Wallace wins.

So all, in all, I think the obvious choice would be Wallace here. Now I know that you can't 100% accurately predict a free agent's success on a new team based on only the above criteria, but I think it does lay an argument and statistical likelihood for a particular player over another. And in that case, I believe it is Mike Wallace.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
I chose Wallace but I think our FA money will go toward DT/DE and OL. We have 10 picks so you can bet JS & PC will fill our needs in the draft moreso than free agency.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1iap75sy said:
I'm frankly surprised that Welker isn't the overwhelming favorite. Incredible hands. Always gets open. Think Rich Man's Bobby Engram. Wilson won't have to scramble to buy nearly as much time with Welker out there. Guy is the best slot WR in the NFL and possibly the greatest possession receiver of all time. And he's not shown any signs of letting up.

All true, but we already have a quick possession type slot receiver.........his name is Golden Tate. It'd make no sense to go out and give Welker a big contract.

What we need is a burner receiver on the other side of Rice to stretch the defense. Therefore none of these choices make sense except for Wallace.

But having said that if we know Carroll and Schneider, they're going to try and address that need in the draft. You're already paying Rice big money, I doubt our FO wants to have that much cap space tied up in the WR position by signing another high priced free agent.

If this teams spends money in free agency, it's going to be on the lines.

Latest posts