Where will Flynn play next year?

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure how much Bradley knows about Matt being a good QB. He wasn't in the QB room with him so assuming he knows a lot about Flynn or has a good relationship with him is just conjecture. Maybe the defensive coaches got a chance to go against him in scrimmages or walk through but I think if it was Bevell in Jacksonville you could make a stronger case that he was intimate with Flynn.

I think he and Alex Smith would be a couple of names getting play this off-season but how hot the market is hasn't been determined yet. The 8 teams with new HCs and 5 new GMs have to get their plans together and the remaining 24 could contain some interested parties as well. I am not sure who is going to be looking. Jets look like a cap issue with dropping Sanchez. KC with Reid is a wildcard. Eagles and Kelly is yet another unknown. Are the Jags completely done with Gabbert or will the new regime consider him fixable? Cards, doubt it. Is there a starter in trouble like Freeman?

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2xg6m7br said:
"You're undervaluing Flynn!"

"No, you're overvaluing him!"

"Shut up!"

"No, you shut up!"

I think it's hilarious how this argument has morphed over the last year. I most definitely side with those who say certain fans are massively overvaluing Flynn. And I really don't think too many are saying he's a bum. Just overly sensitive folks taking "he's not amazing" comments way too harsh.

I disagree that any team trading for him is going to do so because they think he's amazing and the man. We acquired him last year while at the same time drafting a rookie that we liked a lot with a decently high pick. I could most certainly see another team do the same. Acquire Flynn as a low risk starter for the interim while also drafting a rookie with a 2nd or 3rd rounder to develop. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen.

Here's the thing. Your right. Teams may be interested in doing just what you say. The Seahawks, however, will not be interested in trading with such teams and would just as well hang on to him. The only benefit to trading him would be to get in return a higher value to our team than Flynn currently provides. In other words Flynn remains in Seattle unless some teams values him as a starter. Its certainly possible that no team will. If a team does value Flynn as a starter, however, why would they have a hesitation moving a 3rd round pick in order to fill the most important position on their team.

Example, though surely not the best one..... Charlie Whitehirst. The guy a project qb and look what we were willing to give for him. Hindsight is 20-20 and we way overpaid for this guy, but the point remains particularly if a team sees Flynn as a starter.

Once again, if no team does than he stays put.
I think there will be teams calling but we shall see.

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
drdiags said:
Not sure how much Bradley knows about Matt being a good QB. He wasn't in the QB room with him so assuming he knows a lot about Flynn or has a good relationship with him is just conjecture. Maybe the defensive coaches got a chance to go against him in scrimmages or walk through but I think if it was Bevell in Jacksonville you could make a stronger case that he was intimate with Flynn.

I think he and Alex Smith would be a couple of names getting play this off-season but how hot the market is hasn't been determined yet. The 8 teams with new HCs and 5 new GMs have to get their plans together and the remaining 24 could contain some interested parties as well. I am not sure who is going to be looking. Jets look like a cap issue with dropping Sanchez. KC with Reid is a wildcard. Eagles and Kelly is yet another unknown. Are the Jags completely done with Gabbert or will the new regime consider him fixale? Cards, doubt it. Is there a starter in trouble like Fr

Bradley's defense went up against Flynn in practice daily and he is sure to have and likely still have access to whatever evaluations of Flynn that are relevant. Does this mean that Bradley is a shoe in to be drooling over Flynn? No, but he will certainly have a solid basis for determining the guys value. Blaine Gabbert, on the other hand, is a worthless bum. Let's not get blinded by his draft status and recognize the in his many opportunities to produce hes proven himself to be a significantly worse option than even Henne.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I to believe Flynn is the best FA option this off season and there is definitely a much better market for his services but I still don't know how hot a commodity he will be, there are just to many factors that come into it.

KC seems like a very logical location but they have the #1 overall pick and I believe they will take Barkley. Now do they expect him to come in and start immediately? I don't know and even if they don't are they going to pony up draft picks for Flynn who would be seen as a stop gap QB while Barkley learns. Even if they like the idea of Flynn, how much is it worth for a stop gap? I could definitely see KC sticking with Cassell for a couple of reasons. Reid has had much success developing QB's and he might think he can still get the most out of Cassell. They may just want to open up a competition between Cassell and Barkley. A new coach is also going to want as much draft ammo as possible so they very well could avoid sending picks away even if they think Flynn is superior. Reid will have several years before he is expected to make that a top shelf franchise so while I am sure he would love to win now, if he had Barkley in the wings he likely would not feel a severe amount of pressure.

Jacksonville is another can of worms with Gabbert but is it to soon to give up on him? With the second overall pick and a QB needy team, I think Geno Smith lands there and then you are asking some of the same questions as KC. Not to mention if they decide to go away from Gabert, that puts another QB into the FA equation.

What I could see happening is the Jags and Seahawks play a little negotiations game (even if they are not really interested) to try and create/drive up a market for Flynn.

Raiders are heavily invested in Palmer and while you and I think he sucks (sorry DramaHawk) he still puts up huge numbers and often shows flashes of elite potential (and then he brain farts for another pick six of course) so will the Raiders move on? Maybe they could see a competition between Palmer and Flynn but that means giving up picks to a team that has squandered for to many and appears to be changing there philosophy about draft picks. I would be surprised if they went away from Palmer unless they want to put him on the market and then again you have more FA competition.

Philly? Uhm maybe but who knows. It makes sense they will move away from Vick but again that is another FA QB. They can't be completely disappointed in Foles but I could see a potential market for a QB competition between Flynn and Foles.

Cleveland? Weeden hasn't been a complete bust but could definitely see the possibility of an upgrade. He is going to be 29 (if not already) so bringing in another 28 year old would be kind of odd. They have to be thinking going young makes more sense but where do they find young? It's a possibility but again I don't see a high priority.

Arizona really seems to me like it could be a very good fit but would we trade him to a division rival? I think Flynn would be a huge upgrade over Kolb as he has all the attributes Kolb has but is much better at getting the ball out quickly and IMO is much better at reading defenses. It would be a heavy investment for AZ but with the 7th pick in the draft unless they pay through the nose to move up, the QB options are pretty slim pickens. When you consider Kolb's injury history and Fitzgerald's age I could see them making a push for Flynn and that is where the Jacksonville trade talks could really help out.

Buffalo is definitely a possibility but we just fleeced them for a draft pick for Tarvaris Jackson and he didn't even show enough to be activated for a single game last year. We also fleeced them a couple years prior for Lynch. I would think they would become a little Leary of dealing with Pete and John but who knows, it is Buffalo after all.

NY Jets? Uhg, who knows what that team will do. They are strapped pretty heavily to Sanchez but they definitely need to make a move however they are still getting over the burn of Tebow so they may want to be careful. I do think Flynn would be a huge upgrade over Dirty Sanchez but I don't know if the Jets are ready to jump back into the high profile life of the NFL QB market. The bright side is that Ryan maybe feeling pressure to do something and they don't have a ton of other options. Bringing in Flynn to compete with Sanchez could be as low profile a move as they could make and if Flynn performs the way I believe he would, Ryan would look like the franchise hero. Although Ryan would be under scrutiny for bringing in any QB to compete as he just failed miserably at just that last year.

Vikings? Maybe but IMO unlikely. To early to move on from Ponder who reminds me alot of Palmer in his ability to look great one minute and completely shit the bed the next. Flynn with AP though would put them right on the map and in the the thick of NFL talks but they did make the playoffs this year so they may already believe they are there. Do they see Ponder as part of the problem? If not then they should. He is easily upgraded and IMO would benefit from some time on the bench watch a QB that can actually read defenses and distribute the ball properly.

I think the entire NFL knows how in love Pete and John were with Wilson and with how he performed this year I think they understand why so I doubt anyone (with half a brain) is looking at Flynn and saying he must suck to lose to a short third round rookie. I also think GM's are smart enough to look beyond the preseason stats and see why Flynn's numbers looked so poor. In reality what you wanted to see from Flynn was would his ability to process the game be diminished without all the weapons he had in GB and what you seen him do in preseason was make good throws all over the field, including some very clutch perfectly thrown third down conversions and potential TD's if not for the worst collective performance ever put on but an NFL receiver crew. He showed he could step into a new system and acclimate nearly immediately and that his skill set is in fact transferable. It was obvious his ability to read defenses was on par with quality NFL caliber QB's and he proved to anyone with a question that his arm strength myth was exactly that, a myth. He showed excellent pocket presence and good speed when he did scramble along with very good awareness of his surroundings.

I think some believe in GB all Flynn had to do was take the snap, step back and throw it and his receivers would do the rest but even in a statistically poor preseason he showed he was much more to blame for the success of the GB offense than some want to give him credit for and in fact if paired up with a decent team could likely be the difference of being a playoff team or a pretender.

getnasty

Reaction score
Maybe the Jets, they just got our cap guy as there new GM. Maybe they'll give us Wilkerson for him

sutz

Reaction score
Left End
of Seattle's bench.

:)

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
Mthete are not any first round qbs IMO. Surely a desperate team will reach, butcall me crazy. Matt Flynn w8th Jones drew, blackman, shorts, and Lewis could work well. Bradley will build the defense through the draft.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
since Flynn seems to be an ok guy in the locker room, even though he didn't win the starting QB position with the Hawks, there is every chance he stays a Hawk,...the Hawks will move him if they get a decent offer, but he's not being a troubled malcontent, so he may well remain here,...

The Radish

Reaction score
Largent80":3o7bho2b said:

I'm with you here Rob, and only plays sparingly or when we need to win a coin toss.

BTW it seems moves like that are Pete's trying to involve Flynn with the team whereever he can. A good idea.

:les:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'd like Flynn here, but I'd love to bundle him up with our 1st and maybe something more to get the Jag's 1st.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think Flynn had conditional round pick written all over him. I doubt any team at the top of the draft will be interested as they can draft a QB. I think the most likely scenario may see him traded after the draft so whichever team wasn't able to satisfactorily get it's QB (and depending on Seattle's ability to get a new backup).

Two things are going to screw the Seahawks and Flynn over though - Alex Smith's availability and the fact that I doubt Seattle with trade him to Arizona.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":31toky6v said:
I to believe Flynn is the best FA option this off season and there is definitely a much better market for his services but I still don't know how hot a commodity he will be, there are just to many factors that come into it.

First off, Flynn isn't a FA option for teams. It would require a trade for a team to acquire him, or he'd have to be cut for teams to be able to bring him in and offer him a deal. And Flynn's not even the best TRADE option this offseason. Not with Alex Smith eating up even more cap room in SF than Flynn's taking up in Seattle.

What's more, Smith is a more attractive option for teams because he's got much more starting experience than Flynn. His 2011/2012 season numbers (over the course of 25 games) will be far more attractive to teams than Flynn's 2 starts from 2010/2011. Smith racked up a 64% completion percentage, 4881 yards, 30 TDs, and 10 INTs over that stretch. And he's the same age as Flynn. Smith looks the part of a franchise QB (even if it's just a game manager type of QB) far more than Flynn does right now.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
But Volungshawk which Alex Smith are you going to get because there is alot more poor stats on him than good. If my GM expects those good numbers without the best O-line in football, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a defense that allows you to be patient, I want my GM fired. Ignore all the stats and ask if he passes the eyeball test.

Again I disagree with you about Smith and Flynn and I am willing to make a sig bet if you like that Flynn will dramatically out perform Alex Smith next year and the reason I believe that is we have seen Smith perform poorly but even in a new system woth all new team mates we have yet to see Flynn play as poorly as Smith has the majority of his career.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1uytloot said:
But Volungshawk which Alex Smith are you going to get because there is alot more poor stats on him than good. If my GM expects those good numbers without the best O-line in football, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a defense that allows you to be patient, I want my GM fired. Ignore all the stats and ask if he passes the eyeball test.

Again I disagree with you about Smith and Flynn and I am willing to make a sig bet if you like that Flynn will dramatically out perform Alex Smith next year and the reason I believe that is we have seen Smith perform poorly but even in a new system woth all new team mates we have yet to see Flynn play as poorly as Smith has the majority of his career.

That's because in a new system, we have yet to see Flynn play at all, really. You don't judge stats based on preseason and mop up duty.

I know we got in a pretty fun habit here of bashing Alex Smith, but the fact of the matter is that he has a winning record against us as a starter and he's put up some pretty good performances against us. He's not a scrub QB.

And remember how earlier this week many of us were concerned about Bevell leaving because we felt it would be good for Wilson's continued development to keep the same OC? Smith had a different OC every single year in his first 7 years, and had to readjust to multiple different systems as a result. Once there was some consistency in the coaching staff, Smith played pretty damn well.

And you can talk about how Smith's stats were only reflective of a great O-line and Davis/Crabtree, but you have to apply that same caveat to Flynn's TWO performances in Green Bay. Sure, really nice games playing with an offensive cast that ranked in the top 10 in points scored and in yards gained every single season from 2007-2011. That wasn't all just Favre/Rodgers. It's the system and all the offensive pieces in it. Flynn benefited from that just as much as Smith benefited from anything he had in SF, if not more.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think you can look at the preseason games and easily extrapolate expected results based on all the throws, defensive reads, speed of getting the ball out and adjusting for horrific timing of key drops. Only if you discredit Flynn for receiver drops can you grade him poorly but the ball in 90+% was put were not only it should have been caught but was placed in a leading position that positively impacts YAC.

I honestly believe Flynn has better value than Smith and I would be surprised if the Niners will garner as much as Seattle will for each. Neither are UFA's and they're contracts are not hat dissimilar so we will see how things play out. I know I would be worried about my FO if they viewed Smith as viable starter and how each gets treated as far as traded or released as well as how each performs next year is my exact point.

If I am playing GM and need a QB to start for me next year, I am willing to invest more for Flynn than Smith. There are plenty of dumb GM's out there or we wouldn't have got anything for Jackson but I think the smart ones will actually look at the performances rather than the stats and will see more potential in Flynn.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":ebkmufrg said:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think you can look at the preseason games and easily extrapolate expected results based on all the throws, defensive reads, speed of getting the ball out and adjusting for horrific timing of key drops. Only if you discredit Flynn for receiver drops can you grade him poorly but the ball in 90+% was put were not only it should have been caught but was placed in a leading position that positively impacts YAC.

I honestly believe Flynn has better value than Smith and I would be surprised if the Niners will garner as much as Seattle will for each. Neither are UFA's and they're contracts are not hat dissimilar so we will see how things play out. I know I would be worried about my FO if they viewed Smith as viable starter and how each gets treated as far as traded or released as well as how each performs next year is my exact point.

If I am playing GM and need a QB to start for me next year, I am willing to invest more for Flynn than Smith. There are plenty of dumb GM's out there or we wouldn't have got anything for Jackson but I think the smart ones will actually look at the performances rather than the stats and will see more potential in Flynn.

Yeah, we'll just disagree then. Saying you'd be "worried about your FO if they viewed Smith as a viable starter" is ridiculous, imo, especially when compared with your unwavering support for Flynn. Flynn has not come close to proving himself as much as Smith has. All you're banking on with Flynn is potential, whereas Smith has proven that he can manage a game very well for you, and make some plays when necessary. All of 2011 and half of 2012 PROVE that for Smith. He's got tons more experience than Flynn does no matter how you measure it, and that matters to the FO types.

In 2011, Smith started all season long for a team that played deep into the postseason and played well. He was very much a game manager, but he showed flashes of being able to air it out when necessary (see the 299-yard, 3 TD, 0 INT performance against the Saints in the playoffs). In 2012, he was showing even greater accuracy, and outside of a bad game against the Giants, protected the ball well. Half of his first 8 games generated a passer rating above 100, and his Week 8 game against the Cardinals was one of the best passer performances of any QB in the league all season long. And he didn't lose his job because he played poorly... he lost it due to injury.

Smith's got 80 regular season games under his belt, and he's posted very, very good performances in at least a quarter of them. Of his top 20 games (all of which have a passer rating above 98), 13 of them have come in the last 2 seasons. That's what a FO will look at when considering Smith. They're not going to focus on his struggles in '05 or '06. His 2 postseason games last year were also strong performances.

Honestly, I don't see how you can be such a huge Flynn fanboy and yet dismiss Smith so readily. There is zero evidence of how Flynn will perform when a team can prepare for him as the starter. There's zero evidence for how he will perform when faced with a strong defense. There is zero evidence of how he will perform when given the keys to an offense that isn't among the very best in the league. In other words, Flynn remains an unknown quantity as a potential starting QB. Smith, on the other hand, is more of a known quantity - he's a game manager who avoids turnovers for the most part, with the potential to put up decent numbers, even against strong defenses. Smith isn't the inspirational leader type, but neither is Flynn.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.

OP
OP
J

joeshaney

Reaction score
RichNhansom":fm30tnl8 said:
Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.

Couldn't agree more. Smith certainly has a more expansive resume, but what does it really say.
A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive.

Flynn's mystery is definitely the issue, but that is exactly why I see him going to the Jaguars.
If Gus Bradley does not see Flynn as a starting QB in the league, we could hang on to him knowing Flynn's market value is not worth moving him.
If Gus Bradley does like him to start he will have no problem sending a 3rd round pick at the least.

In Jacksonville, Flynn would have a decent set of weapons to work with in Jones-Drew, Blackmon, Shorts, and Bennett. With a little help on their offensive line I think it'd be rather fun to see what kind of success Flynn would have. This way, Bradley and Jacksonville could shift their attention on their biggest problem (defense).