Osi to the hawks very logical per Clayton

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Osi to the hawks very logical per Clayton
Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 am
  • Was listening to his show, and he thinks its the most logical landing spot. Said we could expect something like a 1year 4 million type deal.

Now, Clayton is wrong pretty much 95% of the time these days, but I'd like this one to work out as he says. Just seems to make a ton of sense for both parties.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• That would be a good deal.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Whaaaaat? I campaigned for this LAST off-season. Not so sure I care so much this year-as I didn't pay any attention to him and don't know what he has left. Is he a free agent? Whoever we go after, I'm expecting us to load up on players across the D-Line and let them battle it out in camp.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Thread title is a little misleading. A logical landing spot does not mean "very likely."
    Last edited by brendonkuhn on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    brendonkuhn
    NET Practice Squad

• We need a dude like this on our team - if he is serious about winning. I don't a single player on our team has won a Super Bowl and having a veteran oh his caliber would be nice.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• That would be friggin great, and would let us spend some on a WR.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Osi = :les:
    parson420
    NET Practice Squad

• I think Osi is a little over the hill and I'm not a big fan of his attitude. But if we got him for cheap, sure, why not, give it a go.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• He talked about it a bit the other day as well. Saying our system is set up well for Osi to succeed and produce sacks (allowing him to potentially get one more big deal the following season). Osi made it no secret last season he liked the hawks, and the hawks had interest in trading for him. Compensation was too great, so we did not make the move. Now that he is a free agent, lets hope it all comes together.

Would be very clutch if Clem can't star the season. Would be awesome to see a NASCAR type package with Clem, osi and Irvin. Bring the heeeeeeeeeeat!

Osi is the same age as Clem by the way. . . With no acl injuries. The age comments are a bit silly.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:He talked about it a bit the other day as well. Saying our system is set up well for Osi to succeed and produce sacks (allowing him to potentially get one more big deal the following season). Osi made it no secret last season he liked the hawks, and the hawks had interest in trading for him. Compensation was too great, so we did not make the move. Now that he is a free agent, lets hope it all comes together.

Would be very clutch if Clem can't star the season. Would be awesome to see a NASCAR type package with Clem, osi and Irvin. Bring the heeeeeeeeeeat!

Osi is the same age as Clem by the way. . . With no acl injuries. The age comments are a bit silly.

I will be stunned if Clem sees the field very much, if at all next year.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I was lingering around the Vikings forums and noticed more than one thread about Jared Allen. Seems to be quite a bit of talk about the Vikings off-loading Jared Allen this off season since he is coming to the final year of his contract. Allen is 30 years old and I suppose the Vikings are trying to get as much as they can for him, before his value drops significantly.

In 2011 Jared Allen has 22 sacks. Then this last season he put up 12 sacks, quite the drop. But 22 sacks in a single season is ridiculous anyway.

This is all rumor. So i'm not thinking anything of it. But I wouldn't mind the Hawks pursuing Jared Allen. The downside is his contract. He will take up a considerable amount of cap space, however its only for one season. Then we could sign him to a two or three year deal and have him for the twilight of his prime, up to age 33, then let him walk. Thirty years old isn't too old for a DE is it? Especially an elite pass rusher like Jared Allen.

Not sure why the Vikings would want to get rid of Allen, other than his value..? Or wait, the Vikings do have a pretty solid D-line already, but Allen is their D-line's workhorse. Maybe they want to open up some cap space..
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• Do it.......Do it
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:I will be stunned if Clem sees the field very much, if at all next year.

Isn't there some kind of new roster injury exception where we can let him focus on healing and then return for the last portion of the season and playoff run or am I imagining this to make myself feel better?
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I will be stunned if Clem sees the field very much, if at all next year.

Isn't there some kind of new roster injury exception where we can let him focus on healing and then return for the last portion of the season and playoff run or am I imagining this to make myself feel better?

Yes, this exists now. You can designate one (I think) player as IR but eligible to return. There's also the PUP list, and players can come off of that after a certain amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if Clemons is able to return in the latter half of the year.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I will be stunned if Clem sees the field very much, if at all next year.

If you are thinking of the new IR rule, I believe he would have to pass a physical first to be considered for it. There is the PUP list, which basically would hold him out until week 7 at the earliest, week 12 at the latest.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• bestfightstory wrote:

Yes. IR doesn't have to end the season now. There just isn't any track record for defensive ends having much impact the season after an ACL, especially in the 30's. I think Pete's admission we need a couple of pass rushers was open admission Clem is not being relied on to come back in 2013.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:

Yes. IR doesn't have to end the season now. There just isn't any track record for defensive ends having much impact the season after an ACL, especially in the 30's. I think Pete's admission we need a couple of pass rushers was open admission Clem is not being relied on to come back in 2013.

If Clem can't pass his physical before the first week of the season, I don't think he can be eligible for the new IR rule. I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe in order to use the eligible to return designation, the player must be on the final 53 man roster. It makes a lot more sense to put him on the PUP list, and stretch it out the maximum amount of time, which is I believe 12 weeks (6 weeks, plus 3 practice, plus 3 to activate).
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• Unlikely

JS/PC will not spend large on someone in their thirties. Any big free agent signing will be for someone in their early to mid twenties. If that someone is not available, they will be low key in FA.

That has pretty much been the course of action the first 3 offseason with these two in charge
    warden
    NET Veteran

• warden wrote:Unlikely

JS/PC will not spend large on someone in their thirties. Any big free agent signing will be for someone in their early to mid twenties. If that someone is not available, they will be low key in FA.

That has pretty much been the course of action the first 3 offseason with these two in charge

Disagree. When faced with similar issues, we have dipped into FA for cast off vets. Alan branch, Raheem Brock, milloy etc. With the injury to Clem, we can not afford to sit idle in FA just because some hot shot 26 year old that we like is not available. 4 million for Osi is cheap, and he has proven production. If we can draft someone and sign him, even better. A one year deal is pretty low key IMO.

I just think we will do whatever it takes to win now, while not hindering the future. A middle of the road one year deal is win/win under the circumstances.

We shall see.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    warden wrote:Unlikely

Disagree. When faced with similar issues, we have dipped into FA for cast off vets. Alan branch, Raheem Brock, milloy etc. With the injury to Clem, we can not afford to sit idle in FA just because some hot shot 26 year old that we like is not available. 4 million for Osi is cheap, and he has proven production. If we can draft someone and sign him, even better. A one year deal is pretty low key IMO.

I just think we will do whatever it takes to win now, while not hindering the future. A middle of the road one year deal is win/win under the circumstances.

We shall see.

Also, Robert Gallery. We signed him to a 3 yr, front heavy deal. He was stop gap for one year and we cut him after that and he retired. I would love for Osi to come here and do the same. Except, of course, for him to perform better than Gallery did.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Was listening to his show, and he thinks its the most logical landing spot. Said we could expect something like a 1year 4 million type deal.

Now, Clayton is wrong pretty much 95% of the time these days, but I'd like this one to work out as he says. Just seems to make a ton of sense for both parties.

Clayton is still pretty accurate, not sure how much you listen to him.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Given, Clayton is a nerd. But I like what he is thinking here. I can see Osi getting the same look, similar deal as Jones. 1 year, no guarantee on playing time. ComPETE, make the roster.

I wouldn't expect much more production than Jones, though. The DT needs to be priority in the draft, but bring in as many people as possible and weed 'em out.
    Attachments
    ogre.jpg
    ogre.jpg (9.21 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• 1 year for 4 mil? thats a bargain for a dude like Osi, i'd do that in a heartbeat, and we know with Pete that if he isn't up to snuff, dude won't make the team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Here is another interesting stat, in 2010 Osi broke the NFL record for most forced fumbles with 10!
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Putting milk in cereal is logical, but that doesn't mean it is guaranteed to happen.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Fox0r wrote:Putting milk in cereal is logical, but that doesn't mean it is guaranteed to happen.

But when you are low on calcium, just makes too much sense not to. Can easily get milk on a 3 dollar, two week contract. Milk gets to do work, body gets nutrients. Everybody wins.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Chukarhawk wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Was listening to his show, and he thinks its the most logical landing spot. Said we could expect something like a 1year 4 million type deal.

Clayton is still pretty accurate, not sure how much you listen to him.

Clayton is wrong constantly. He has a lot of good contacts, and keeps up with what is going on with a lot of NFL teams, so he has a good mastery of the facts of the situation in the NFL, but when called on to do anything resembling analysis with those facts he's hopeless. Strikes me as a guy with good memorization skills but nothing else going for him upstairs. Just an utter zero. I can listen to entire shows where he's supposed to be giving insight, and again all it is is a relentless stream of facts but no added value above that verbal diarrhea.

I like the guy well enough but he's about as insightful as Mike Ditka or Herm Edwards (shudder).

That aside, please let's get Osi.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Signing Osi to 1yr low $ contract would be an insurance policy for Clemons return from knee surgery, as he would
    fit into the leo roll without much tail-off in production from that spot and would give time for the player we take in the draft to
    get coached up to start or back-up the position

Osi is 31 yrs old, had 6 sacks last year, his 2013 contract w Giants is "voidable" (perhaps by either side?)
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

• Chukarhawk wrote:Clayton is still pretty accurate, not sure how much you listen to him.

Not really. He had Seattle and Atlanta as the two teams to challenge for Mario Williams the day before free agency. When the window opened, he was was already in Buffalo ready to get the deal done. I can't remember the last story he broke. He just poo-poo's other people's suggestions and throws a few darts himself. Somehow he's become an analyst rather than a reporter these days.

Osi is another dart being thrown. Everything he says is correct - Umenyiora does fit the Seahawks. He would be a very, very logical fit for the defense. It just depends how interested we are in signing a soon to be 32-year-old pass rusher who has seen better days... and what contract is he's looking for. Is he still hungry? The guy has two super bowl rings. Is he going to be busting his ass for another? Or is this the final pay day?

Anyone can throw his name out there though.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• he's a shell of his former self
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Rookie

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    Fox0r wrote:Putting milk in cereal is logical, but that doesn't mean it is guaranteed to happen.

But when you are low on calcium, just makes too much sense not to. Can easily get milk on a 3 dollar, two week contract. Milk gets to do work, body gets nutrients. Everybody wins.

actually milk has been linked to osteoporosis, the animal protein(in milk) is acidic and your bones remove calcium to make the blood more alkalin.
    Studies has showed that countries that drink more milk (Like Sweeden) have much higher osteoporosis rates than areas that dont (African Countries).
    Therefore we must sign Osi.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• For that type of contract I would be all for signing him, but John has been pretty inaccurate lately so I won't hold my breath.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• He'd be a decent stop gap. I wouldn't be too disappointed if it happened, but I'm not sure we'd get as much production out of him as we'd hope, either.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Does not excite me as much as it does others. But with Clemons being an unknown, the veteran presence could be useful. He is outspoken but would need to establish himself in the locker room. I am not sure why he would want to move from the NY presence to the Northern outpost to end his career. I would bet he looks other places first and would only look to use the Seahawks to set his market.

Do not want.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Only Riddell 360 Seahawks helmet I've ever seen, in his room.

652cHAWK
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*

• SURE....great,wondful, I love it when we throw a ton of cash out for a over priced free agent we don't need. There are other areas that we can generate presser from. Pleace forget this grandeous idea of Mr. Macky's. I mean REALLY?
    2013-2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

• Osi does make sense for the Seahawks. Osi played a weak side 9-tech role in New York so he's familar with our style of pass rush. Having watched him a little just now, I think he's got more in the tank than his declining sack numbers might indicate. I don't think it's a stretch that he could have a Raheem Brock type season for us in 2013. Seattle is also looking for players that would be willing to sign 1 year deals so that they can avoid cap complications in 2014.

That said, the player I'd really want is Jared Allen if Minnesota was open to dealing him. Allen is the perfect fit for what Seattle needs, and has exactly the kind of "Will Ferrell" type personality that would fit in with our locker room. So far Allen has aged very well, basically about as well or better than John Abraham has. He might be more than a 1 year rental. Allen has just 1 year left on his deal (for a LOT of money), but Seattle can afford it if they move Flynn.

The money Minnesota saves, the draft pick added, and the need for more talent on Minnesota's roster could be enough to entice them to get a deal done. If I thought Allen had just one year of greatness left, I'd offer our late 3rd. If I thought he had more than that, I'd offer our late 2nd and still feel pretty good about it. Jared Allen is still a star, IMO.

Seattle can't afford to leave free agency without upgrading the pass rush. The draft is looking like far from a slam dunk when it comes to pass rush options outside of the top 5 picks.

bestfightstory wrote:

I'm guessing that Seattle will try to rush Clemons back for the season opener like they did for Carpenter, with similar results. But on the chance they don't feel Clemons is ready, the PUP list is a great option. You can manipulate the roster to delay PUP players as late as week 13 before being forced to IR, if they play their cards perfectly right. Something like that.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• The Battle #83 wrote:he's a shell of his former self

Who? Clayton or Osi?
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• hehe, kip
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Another thing about Osi, he had 9 sacks in just 9 total games in 2011. He played 16 games this past season, but only started in four of them. Sounds like New York (a team loaded with pass rushers) was turning him into a rotational end in his final year, and could explain the drop in production. If anyone has access to PFF's scores, I'd love to know how he did the last two seasons.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I'd be OK with it. Definitely past his prime, but we're so close to being a Super Bowl team that he's well worth the gamble.

The only thing I disagree with Clayton is on the contract. Osi has whined a LOT about his contract in recent years. I can't see him signing a one-year deal unless it's at the end of free agency and he's desperate.

I'd rather make a run at Michael Johnson, but I could see the Bengals tagging him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• kearly wrote:
    That said, the player I'd really want is Jared Allen if Minnesota was open to dealing him.

This is what would be weird about that:

Carl Eller
    Keith Millard
    John Randle
    And Jared Allen

All former Vikings D-Line Pro Bowlers who relocated to Seattle.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• I saw every giants game this year as well as the hawks IMHO osi is just a name his game is done . I think JS and PC know better names don't get sacks .
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:Osi does make sense for the Seahawks. Osi played a weak side 9-tech role in New York so he's familar with our style of pass rush. Having watched him a little just now, I think he's got more in the tank than his declining sack numbers might indicate. I don't think it's a stretch that he could have a Raheem Brock type season for us in 2013. Seattle is also looking for players that would be willing to sign 1 year deals so that they can avoid cap complications in 2014.

That said, the player I'd really want is Jared Allen if Minnesota was open to dealing him. Allen is the perfect fit for what Seattle needs, and has exactly the kind of "Will Ferrell" type personality that would fit in with our locker room. So far Allen has aged very well, basically about as well or better than John Abraham has. He might be more than a 1 year rental. Allen has just 1 year left on his deal (for a LOT of money), but Seattle can afford it if they move Flynn.

The money Minnesota saves, the draft pick added, and the need for more talent on Minnesota's roster could be enough to entice them to get a deal done. If I thought Allen had just one year of greatness left, I'd offer our late 3rd. If I thought he had more than that, I'd offer our late 2nd and still feel pretty good about it. Jared Allen is still a star, IMO.

Seattle can't afford to leave free agency without upgrading the pass rush. The draft is looking like far from a slam dunk when it comes to pass rush options outside of the top 5 picks.

Now that's an intriguing thought that I hadn't considered. Allen's contract calls for him to be paid $11.62 Million next season. In addition, he was scheduled to have shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum. Being that he's going to be 31 when the season opens next year, some teams are going to look at that situation with a lot of skepticism.

If they're honestly looking to offload Allen though, that kind of a deal might make some sense for both clubs.

Minnesota clearly is in need of an upgrade at QB and it's highly unlikely they're going to be able to get a legitimate one with the 23rd Pick. Moving up in the draft to get a Barkley or Gino Smith will be expensive for them ... and there aren't a whole ton of really good options out there in free agency or in the trade market from what I can see other than Flynn. Flynn would cost them $7,250,000 against the Cap next year ... and $8,250,000 against the Cap in 2014 (fairly reasonable IF they view him as a guy who could start over Ponder [I believe he'd win in an open competition].) If Seattle actually sent them a draft pick (say a 3rd or 4th Rounder) along with Flynn ... from their standpoint, they'd be saving money, getting a potential starting QB, and a high enough draft pick that they could bring in another young quality player.

I think you're on to something there Kip. If Minnesota is looking to move him, that's something that could actually work IMO.

Still, if Osi Umenyiora can be had for $4 million/year ... that would be quite a value pick-up. I'd have to seriously consider that one if I were Schneider.

Edit to add: Just checked out Jared Allen's Cap Number for next season. His contract for next season is scheduled to be a cap hit of over $17 million. That's a LOT of coin ... and a contract that the Hawks would have to be quite creative on in trying to restructure several existing veteran contracts IF they were to try to make that one happen. I'm a bit more skeptical now that I've seen the actual number, but still think that it could have an outside shot of being workable.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information