WOW - ND LB T'eo's dead GF story a HOAX!!!

SharkHawk

Reaction score
That's where I disagree. I live in Utah County, which is the most Mormon place on earth. I grew up for the first big chunk of my life in Seattle, where I was always active in the church and did all of those things. I moved to Utah and didn't. I am treated just great here and have ever since I got here in junior high and quit scouts, stopped going to the dumb service projects and everything else. I was never treated as an outcast by my ward. In fact, if anything, they seemed to be nicer to me as they were trying to win me over.

I think it all depends on the situation though. You're right... nobody knows what we are talking about, but some wards just really suck and are full of judgmental pricks. They tend to end up in the same neighborhoods and then you end up getting treated like garbage. I just think that's human nature though. It's sad when it gets tied to religion, because that's not a church issue, that's a people are dickheads in general issue. No matter what, about half the people are cool, about half are buttholes. Religion doesn't change those numbers. :)

kearly

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3q5fn6uv said:
Tessi Tolutau is next up to confirm it was all on Tui. http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -was-prank

She's honest. I wouldn't hesitate to believe anything she says. Good rep. Good person. Has ZERO reason to lie.

Shark, I am not a criminal investigator but even I recognize the obvious conflicting statements that Te'o has made. Te'o had previously claimed meeting with her in person, and even after the news of the hoax broke he said he talked to her on the phone. Then you have the Notre Dame teammates saying they knew it was a hoax and Te'o was just having fun with it. Even if this was an extremely elaborate hoax by Tuiasasopo- setting up an actress to meet and speak with Te'o, it wouldn't have held up long because Te'o would have known the girl who's picture is on facebook was a different person. Even without the teammate confession, there is a lot of conflicting evidence that pokes holes in Te'o's claims.

Then you also have the "changing story" aspect of this, with people claiming that Kekua really did exist, etc. There is a whole lot of lying going on. If Kekua is fake and Te'o innocent, then it means Te'o is the only person not lying while the ND teammates, the guy from the Arizona Cardinals, and family members of Te'o are all lying.

I think Occam's razor applies. The simplest explanation is simply that Te'o was in on this lie, and now more people are lying to help cover his tracks and protect him.

kearly

Reaction score
So who is on the phone with Te'o with for hours and hours while "Kekua" is in the hospital with Leukemia? Tuiasasopo is male. He'd need to bring in a girl to take many, many hours out of her life to complete this deception. Which would also mean she'd need to be a talented actress and never break character. And yet, this accomplice has never come up in Te'o's story. Why is that? Why haven't we heard who this girl was? Why would she do it? Even Te'o's cover story is yet incomplete because he ignores this critical detail. If I was Catfished and spent hours and hours talking to a girl on the phone, my VERY FIRST reaction would be, "who the hell was that girl I was talking to?!"

And moreover, even if Te'o really was the victim, he still lied about it for a 3 week period in December. There is just no escaping the fact that Te'o is a liar.

No disrespect Rob, but I couldn't disagree more. If anything, this whole situation highlights how the media is often too scared to ask tough follow up questions. I get why- they don't want a potential defamation suit on their hands. But because of that timidity, they are playing perfectly into Te'o's hands.

Unfortunately for Te'o, NFL GMs will be far more pointed in their questioning. This story isn't going away any time soon.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
No disrespect taken.

Te'o said in his interview with ESPN today there are three people involved - two males and a female. I don't have a problem believing there was a female accomplice involved here, who was willing to tag Te'o along for the phone calls. I don't see why she'd have to be a talented actress either. She'd just have to play along. I don't find that part bizarre at all. Not as bizarre as the concept Te'o is just making all of this up because he decided a few weeks ago that it'd be a great idea to invent a fake dead girlfriend on the off chance it would lead to an emotional surge to the National Championship.

And yes he lied about it. He is a liar. But I believe that was to try and foolishly cover up what is an unbelievably embarrassing situation. He got in over his head and made a pretty retarded situation even worse.

kearly

Reaction score
What is the motive for those pranksters? As Scott points out, this is a massive amount of time and effort, over years. The "extortion" angle is stretching it, IMO.

Why would his own teammate(s) say he knew? Does that mean his teammate(s) are lying and just hate him?

What about the stories that were written that said Te'o and Kekua met in person in 2009 at Stanford? Even on the chance that Te'o did not seed those stories, it seems hard to believe that he wasn't aware of them.

He did not need to lie after December 6th. But he did, and it makes it harder to believe he's being completely honest.

And we still don't know who this actress girl is. Could be another creation of Te'o or Tuiasasopo. Until I get a name of a real person and a confession from her, I'm not buying it.

I was initially on Te'o's side on this. But as the details roll in it became more evident that his story isn't holding up. The fake GF thing is silly, it's the lying and persistent cover up lying that bothers me. The teammate aspect doesn't help things either.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Yes, he already said his cousin was "the girl" that was in on it. For all I know they were going to make him give them money or expose his stupidity and then realized that means serious jail time if caught and made up the leukemia stuff to get out of it. People have online relationships all the time. The reason he lied about her being real? He was embarrassed. I'm not a huge Manti Te'o supporter when it comes to his brain power, and have said so for many months. He is kind of a major dumbass. That's why I am not surprised he is in a bad situation, but people who are coming out of the woodwork now with viable explanations are NOT dumbasses and are people that I'd put a great deal of trust in. So I am not ready to say Te'o was in on it. Upon more reflection, I don't honestly think Manti is anywhere near smart enough to pull off a stunt for publicity and exposure, because literally the guy is a pretty big moron. He's also not the most honest guy on earth, so I can see him lying about a relationship... meaning claiming they had met and such because if he told the truth his teammates and others would laugh at him for having an "online girlfriend" and not hooking up with the ladies, which I am sure were plentiful.

Even though I think Manti is semi-stupid and not always honest, I also feel his commitment to his religion is strong, and that is where the lying kind of makes sense to me and helps hold his story up.... because I can see how he'd not want to "break church rules" and it is easy to get out of peer pressure situations if you always have a girlfriend that is in California and you don't get to see her until after the season. Again.... I've taken a few different approaches here for several reasons. I want to see how this plays out, and I'm not hedging my bets by going with every possibility. I am more interested in how it plays out and am playing devil's advocate in some respects, but when somebody who I find unimpeachable like Tessi Tolutau speaks out about it and her story seems to corroborate that Manti had no idea, then I start to go "hmmmm.... maybe there really is something there that clears him of any wrongdoing aside from being a chowderhead."

kearly

Reaction score
This whole thing just reeks of bullshit. I guess for now there are so many liars out there that it's worth withholding judgement for a long while until we learn more.

And FWIW, lying is a skill, much like acting. It is not an IQ thing (there are many brilliant people who can't lie for shit). The reason I'm a terrible liar is because my emotions betray me. I also can't act for shit when on stage. Good lying takes a lot of planning and thought, but given the holes that still exist in this story, and how the details rolled out progressively instead of immediately, I'm more convinced of Te'o's acting than his planning.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":2uqhmhz3 said:
What is the motive for those pranksters? As Scott points out, this is a massive amount of time and effort, over years.

Why would his own teammate(s) say he knew? Does that mean his teammate(s) are lying and just hate him?

What about the stories that were written that said Te'o and Kekua met in person in 2009 at Stanford? Even on the chance that Te'o did not seed those stories, it seems hard to believe that he wasn't aware of them.

He did not need to lie after December 6th. But he did, and it makes it harder to believe he's being completely honest.

And we still don't know who this actress girl is. Could be another creation of Te'o's. Until I get a name of a real person and a confession from her, I'm not buying it.

I was initially on Te'o's side on this. But as the details roll in it became more evident that his story isn't holding up. The fake GF thing is silly, it's the lying and persistent cover up lying that bothers me. The teammate aspect doesn't help things either.

What is the motive for the guy who sends me an email every week about Matt Barkley? The same guy who started a twitter account under the name 'Janet' to send me abusive messages? The same guy who sends abuse to the blog non stop, long winded rants because he doesn't rate Matt Barkley even though he knows I just delete them straight away and nobody ever reads them? He's wasted literally hours of his life over the last 18 months doing that. Or the different person who sent me a tweet of a picture of a note pad saying he wanted to kill me and my family because I commentated on a game his team were beaten in?

Some people take satisfaction is making others truly miserable. I'm willing to guess this was the same situation. More so than Te'o getting some form of 'benefit' by concocting a hoax.

His team mates said he was a good actor and he knew it was a hoax but continued to lie. Nobody is disputing that he's lied. He did. He kept the story going even when he knew it was a hoax. And I think he lied in a piss poor attempt to save face.

I've addressed the stories of him saying he'd met the girl in the piece. There's a complete stigma attached to meeting people online. I think he's come up with some royal bull shit to try and make it seem like he's not some weirdo who falls in love with people he meets on twitter and never has face to face interaction with. Not exactly a major stretch is it?

He did not need to lie after December 6th. He should've beat the media to the punch, revealed the hoax and taken the role of the victim. Instead he tried to save face. Big mistake. I can see why he did it, because either way it's truly horrendously embarrassing. But it doesn't mean he was 'in on it'.

CPHawk

Reaction score
So was it the guy who tricked him, who was having cyber sex with Teo? :pukeface: Or the girl? You know everyone is thinking it.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1hsqg0nr said:
What is the motive for the guy who sends me an email every week about Matt Barkley? The same guy who started a twitter account under the name 'Janet' to send me abusive messages? The same guy who sends abuse to the blog non stop, long winded rants because he doesn't rate Matt Barkley even though he knows I just delete them straight away and nobody ever reads them? He's wasted literally hours of his life over the last 18 months doing that. Or the different person who sent me a tweet of a picture of a note pad saying he wanted to kill me and my family because I commentated on a game his team were beaten in?

Some people take satisfaction is making others truly miserable. I'm willing to guess this was the same situation. More so than Te'o getting some form of 'benefit' by concocting a hoax.

Yes, but the difference is that something you did, fair or not, pissed those people off before they trolled you. And what they did to you is far less prolonged, far less cruel, and far less coordinated. I could maybe buy this if it was just one person, but bringing in a girl and supposedly a 3rd person do this? The girl was allegedly on the phone with Te'o for many hours a night. What is her motivation?

I've addressed the stories of him saying he'd met the girl in the piece. There's a complete stigma attached to meeting people online. I think he's come up with some royal bull shit to try and make it seem like he's not some weirdo who falls in love with people he meets on twitter and never has face to face interaction with. Not exactly a major stretch is it?

I actually agree with you here. In a "Te'o is innocent" scenario it would make sense that he might have let that lie go out of external pressure, since it was convenient for what he thought was a real person that he hadn't met with yet. But again, this is another lie charged against Te'o. It's hard to defend a liar with the "he told lies about other things" defense.

His team mates said he was a good actor and he knew it was a hoax but continued to lie. Nobody is disputing that he's lied. He did. He kept the story going even when he knew it was a hoax. And I think he lied in a piss poor attempt to save face.

His teammates said he was lying before Dec. 6th. IIRC, they specifically referenced the September incident. Te'o would later go on to give an emotional (and very convincing) performance on Jim Rome, when he knew it wasn't true. If you believe the teammates, this proves that Te'o is a very talented liar. Even if Te'o started out a victim, he took the deception to a new level anyway and milked it for all it was worth. That makes me think he was always in on it. Let's not forget that this guy nearly won the Heisman trophy, and his storyline played a huge role in that.

There is also the fact that the scammer was someone Te'o knew and was friends with. To me, the pieces fit together so much easier on the "Te'o was in on it" scenario.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Late Friday night release of Teo's confession. Screams PR spin machine. No footage of his interview. If he had nothing to hide, he wouldn't hide.

Dude can't even tell the truth about when he figured out it was a hoax. According to ND, he came to them Dec 26. He said he figured it out Dec 6. But yesterday he said he didn't know it was a hoax until this week.

The shit hasn't finished leaking out of this diaper yet.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Well... the girl supposedly requested Te'o keep the phone on while she slept. Come on Kip, it's not a big stretch to suggest she probably just left the phone in a quiet room while Manti Te'o sat there, awake, thinking he was tending to a sick girlfriend.

I'll say it again. What is anyone's motivation to do ANYTHING? I'm willing to believe a supposed 'friend' of Te'o's orchestrated this ridiculous hoax that got out of hand (so out of hand, they killed off the GF, then brought her back to life). I'm willing to believe that a girl would be willing to get involved in a cruel hoax of a high profile football player. In the same way I'm willing to believe anyone can be pursuaded to do pretty much anything.

His team mates claim he was lying before Dec 6th? Yeah -- he was lying before Dec 6th. He was telling them he'd met the girl. Which he hadn't. She was an internet girlfriend. He also lied to his parents, friends. Whoever he was close to, he seemingly made up a load of bull shit to hide the fact he was doing something that socially is considered a bit pathetic. He'd fallen in love with a girl he'd never met on the internet. And in order to cover that up, he created a back story. And ran with it. I can understand why he would do that, even if I personally would never fall in love with someone on Twitter.

And while we're talking about motives... what exactly is Te'o's motive here for being in on the hoax? To win a Heisman? Beat Michigan State? Achieve an unbeaten season? That to me is a hundred times more ridiculous than two guys and a girl deciding they're going to play a cruel, heartless prank on a guy who's a bit simple.

cesame

Reaction score
So he had an extensive "relationship" with a person he never met and who ultimately passed away in a tragic matter, only two have a brand new relationship with a new girl weeks after the supposed love of his life tragically passed away?

HA!

This has phony written all over it.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Your girl is sick but you don't think for one minute to go visit her? You have family and friends in Cali, if you couldn't make the trip, you wouldn't send someone to check on her? Multiple cancelled visits when you're both in Hawaii...blank screen everytime you try to Skype? But you can Skype your parents perfectly fine?

C'mon...the guy knew what the deal was.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":22vyp56e said:
Your girl is sick but you don't think for one minute to go visit her? You have family and friends in Cali, if you couldn't make the trip, you wouldn't send someone to check on her? Multiple cancelled visits when you're both in Hawaii...blank screen everytime you try to Skype? But you can Skype your parents perfectly fine?

C'mon...the guy knew what the deal was.

Yeah he did this to beat Michigan State... :roll:

He formed a relationship based on the internet and phone calls. He tried to meet her, she didn't show up. But he kept it going. Why do people think... after all that... he would accept it if she requested he didn't try to visit? Even if she was ill?

He's a gullible fool but FFS... why on earth do people think he was 'in' on this hoax? What benefit does he get out of that??? To help go unbeatean??? It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory. A completely outrageous suggestion that is a lot more bizarre than the idea that this guy is just very immature when it comes to relationships with the opposite sex, completely gullible and overly trusting, incredibly naive and in an attempt to cover up a very embarrassing situation, he lied through his teeth.

pinksheets

Reaction score
To milk the sympathy storyline? Either way he did that, because I'm not going to believe he was that broken up by some girl he never met who we tweeted with supposedly dying.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":3fs01us4 said:
I'm not going to believe he was that broken up by some girl he never met who we tweeted with supposedly dying.

Why?

Is it impossible that someone could 'fall in love' with someone via conversations on the internet or on the phone?

I wouldn't ever do it. You wouldn't do it. There are probably countless who would in this world though.

CPHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":18sqbepj said:
pinksheets":18sqbepj said:
I'm not going to believe he was that broken up by some girl he never met who we tweeted with supposedly dying.

Why?

Is it impossible that someone could 'fall in love' with someone via conversations on the internet or on the phone?

I wouldn't ever do it. You wouldn't do it. There are probably countless who would in this world though.

Yes, it is impossible for a guy like him. He could walk anywhere on campus and point out a girl and get laid. Why would he have to go online for love? Reminds me of the time I was at a club in Seattle, and a limo pulled up. Brett Boone stepped out, then pointed to two random girls standing in line, and then they all drove off in his limo.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":355gpk2w said:
Yes, it is impossible for a guy like him. He could walk anywhere on campus and point out a girl and get laid. Why would he have to go online for love? Reminds me of the time I was at a club in Seattle, and a limo pulled up. Brett Boone stepped out, then pointed to two random girls standing in line, and then they all drove off in his limo.

It's impossible then.

Because every football player is like Brett Boone.

That makes this 'impossible'.

:roll:

Latest posts