Votes: 90 52.0%
  • Wes Welker

Votes: 23 13.3%

• Total voters

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":11y4la0j said:
SalishHawkFan":11y4la0j said:
I'm frankly surprised that Welker isn't the overwhelming favorite. Incredible hands. Always gets open. Think Rich Man's Bobby Engram. Wilson won't have to scramble to buy nearly as much time with Welker out there. Guy is the best slot WR in the NFL and possibly the greatest possession receiver of all time. And he's not shown any signs of letting up.
+1

And I don't understand the comments that his success at NE is only due to their system.

The dude knows how to get open... period... and his YAC is pretty damn good as well.

Hell, I just went and researched his YAC... and he led the league the past two years in total yards after the catch.

If he's available, sign him to at least a 2-year contract.

Because an inside slot receiver is not what this team truly needs. Golden Tate IMO should be this team's Wes Welker, as that's exactly where I'd move him with a speed guy who can really stretch a defense (like Wallace) on the outside. Now, that's no slight against Tate -- far from it. It's just acknowledging that Tate could do a heck of a lot of damage as an inside slot receiver (where I view him being ideally suited to).

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So what you're saying is the Hawks are mis-using Tate. Interesting.

It would be fun to have endless game film on Welker... and also on Tate... and overlap one image on top of the other while they are both running the same route.

My guess is if we were able to do that, Welker's league-leading success in catches and YAC would be obvious.

Just a hunch.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Read the scouting reports on Bowe. He is a recognizable name, but he is slow, drops balls, has a poor work ethic, and disappears from games regularly. If you have actually done any research on him, you will realize you don't want him near your team. There's a reason why KC was making efforts to deal him this year.

Jennings has been hurt more that Sidney Rice the last 2 years. He should not even be an option for those of you that complained about Sidney at all.

Welker makes me nervous because I really believe that he will not be nearly the player he is without the Patriots.

Wallace is a premier WR talent, except for some reason he started dropping balls like crazy this year. If he can fix that, he's the best on the list. But if that is his new normal, I would honestly rather take a shot in the draft than dropping money on any of these guys.

Zowert

Reaction score
Mike Wallace is my choice or Dwayne Bowe if we can't get Wallace.

Comparing the two:

Mike Wallace - 26 yrs old, 6'0" 199 lb, 4.33 sec 40-yard dash & 40 inch Vertical w/ 10 ft 9 in Broad..
College: Mississippi - NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 3 / Pick: 84 - 1x Pro Bowl (2011)

Dwayne Bowe - 28 yrs old, 6'2" 221 lb, 4.51 sec 40-yard dash & 33 inch Vertical w/ 10 ft 5 in Broad..
College: Louisiana State - NFL Draft: 2007 / Round: 1 / Pick: 23 - 1x Pro Bowl & All-Pro (2010)

As far as statistics. They're pretty much on par. I believe Wallace averages more TD catches a season (he has 32 career receiving touchdowns since 2009). While Bowe has 39 receiving TD's since 2007.

Mike Wallace seems good for about 8 TD's on 800 rec yds. But if we could get the Dwayne Bowe that showed up for the 2010 NFL Season, we would have an elite receiver. Bowe put up 15 rec TD's on 1,162 yds, and that was on a team that went 2-14 in the AFC West. Matt Cassel has a good season that year, going 27 TDs and 7 INTs with 3,100+ yards. The years that Dwayne Bowe had average to good stats, happened to be the years when Matt Cassel struggled. So if you give Bowe a good QB, he'll thrive. While Mike Wallace has Big Ben, who's pretty consistent, year in-year out.

Zowert

Reaction score
ProckHawks":2tchjysx said:
Wallace! We don't have anybody on this team thats like Wallace. He's big, fast, pretty good hands can help keep plays alive when Wilson scambles. I could pitcure him giving us 10 plus TD's, most coming of play action. If he asks for to much. PASS on him and the rest. DB is to much like Rice. Welker and Jennings are to old. PASS

You're right about everything except Wallace being 'big'. He is average size. Some may even say he's a bit smaller compared to most of the high-talent receivers in the league.

Mike Wallace is six-foot nothing, 199 pounds. When I think BIG, Calvin Johnson [6'5"], Vincent Jackson [6'5"], Sidney Rice [6'4"], Randy Moss [6'4"], AJ Green [6'4"], Larry Fitzgerald [6'3"] and Andre Johnson [6'3"] come to mind.

getnasty

Reaction score
From this list i'd go Bowe, he's been pretty productive without a QB. A guy who's not on this list but was really good at the end of the year is Danario Alexander, he is younger and might be a little cheaper then these guys. Not sure if he's a UFA or a RFA though.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd be open to Bowe. Bowe could be the type where he needs strong leaders and contending circumstances to concentrate. His skillset is jaw-dropping, for sure.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I vote Welker. He has far more proven himself statistically than than any of the other options. But he does have one of the best quarterbacks...

Interceptor

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":cz8cvxt8 said:
SalishHawkFan":cz8cvxt8 said:
I'm frankly surprised that Welker isn't the overwhelming favorite. Incredible hands. Always gets open. Think Rich Man's Bobby Engram. Wilson won't have to scramble to buy nearly as much time with Welker out there. Guy is the best slot WR in the NFL and possibly the greatest possession receiver of all time. And he's not shown any signs of letting up.
+1

And I don't understand the comments that his success at NE is only due to their system.

The dude knows how to get open... period... and his YAC is pretty damn good as well.

Hell, I just went and researched his YAC... and he led the league the past two years in total yards after the catch.

If he's available, sign him to at least a 2-year contract.

This +1 bag of chips. His hands and YAC tops this group.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Wallace and Bowe will be out of our price range. We should not look to spend a ton on a WR. Russel will make any WR look better and this draft has a ton or talent that will be available at the top of the 2nd round.

Welker would be fun to have but how many short WR's do we want?

Gennings is older and isn't a big body but he might bring some leadership to our WR's he has speed and experience winning, plus has a backround with JS. If GB doesn't resign him which I think they will, I could see Seattle as a good fit for him over the next 2-3 years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If I were to pick I'd take Wallace. I trust no receiver from New England, Bowe is maddenly inconsistent and drops too many balls. I don't know enough about Jennings to know if he'd be worth it.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Changing pick to NONE, as Wallace & Bowe $$$, and Welker runs alot of slant routes, which we don't do much of - RZ at times

and Doug Baldwin's first year was Mr. clutch for checkdown Tavaris in short patterns, so he could fill this role on the cheap

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":2z2m3m18 said:
I lean towards Welker. He was good before NE. He's not playing his age yet, and fast players tend to age better. He'd sign a shorter contract because of his age. Welker is the best slot WR in the NFL, he'd be an enormous upgrade over Baldwin. He is very hard to defend, and can get open at will. He's even a deep threat.

I'd be very surprised if New England let him hit UFA, but if they did, I'd love to see Seattle schedule him a visit.

NE already decided where to spend their money. With the two freak TEs they have. They arent afraid of losing Welker. I voted for Welker btw.

kearly

Reaction score
SharkHawk":bf8ndm8p said:
Welker? Blecccch. He wasn't much of anything in Miami, and seems to be a Brady player (like Branch was).

Welker is his own man. Just go back and watch the Seahawks-Patriots game again. Welker is not being made good by perfect Brady throws. He was legitimately carving our secondary up and getting WIDE open with consistency vs. our outstanding man coverage.

Granted, I don't think Welker is putting up 1500 yards in our offense, but he's not a product of a great QB, and he'll have another elite QB throwing him passes anyway. The appeal for me is that he's by far the best WR on the market when it comes to just flat out getting open at will, and that's what our WR corps needs the most right now.

mrblitz

Reaction score
can we get vincent jackson through a trade?

v-jack, julio jones, or megatron are the only veteran players i'd be interested in getting. or fitz... definitely fitz.

otherwise, rice is really good, and tate was really good and will only get better; so we have some players already on the roster who are good. add in a rookie or two.

i'm thinking someone like jurevicius; not necessarily having a great top gear, but someone big who can move the chains. you get 2 or 3 guys like that, along with miller/mccoy and rice/tate/baldwin, it would be tough for a defense to stop.

if there's a julio jones type in the draft, definitely consider trading up.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldn't make a huge push to sign any of them, as I'm generally very leary of free agent wideouts. They seem to have the biggest fizzle out rate of any position in free agency. However, if we had to sign one, Mike Wallace is the most attractive to me. Elite deep-play WR combined with an elite deep ball quarterback? That'd be fun.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm tired of seeing RW run for his life while waiting for a receiver to come open. Baldwin probably does the best job of it, but he's seldomly as wide open as Welker consistently is.

A good secondary can cover Rice and Wallace because Baldwin doesn't really scare them. Welker gives people fits. His threat from the slot would definitely make it easier on the guys running the deep routes.

Latest posts