Still hung-up on the 65-yard FG attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezz

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":33vybvja said:
Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.
Yeah, but when the longest he was hitting in practice was 50, I don't think those factors add up to another 15-17 yards..

Zowert

Reaction score
They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
can we be done with this silly speculation. Longwell couldnt even kick a touchback, let alone a 55 yard field goal

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Zowert":3blsxs32 said:
They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.

There were 2 seconds left on the clock after the pass. Even something a little bit longer likely would have ended the game

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":s45992oh said:
The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

Longwell's longest is 55 yards.
Could he connect and get one 30 feet longer ??
Maybe......
Indoors,
No weather elements to factor in ??
Kick-offs ~ (from a tee, I know) ....spotted from the 35 to the endzone = 65 yards
I know this is different, but he was putting this balls CLOSE to th endzone on kick-offs.
He's been in the league for how long ??
.....give him a shot !!
What did we bring him in for ??
.....60 yard kick-offs to the 5 yard line, I guess ????? :229031_banghead:

If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?

sutz

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":2meq0b5c said:
...just a silly question to all of this...

What are the rules for the offensive team of scoring off a short FG attempt ??
I know the defense has a chance to return a short FG - if caught in the air and returned like a punt.
Can the offense score on a FG that is "popped-up" - caught in the air, like a pass, and run into the endzone ??
Crazy I know, ....just asking ?? :stirthepot:
No. Once the ball is kicked, it is essentially a change of possession. On a punt, if the kicking team touches it first, it is downed at that spot. I'd assume a FG would be the same. The only kick the O can advance, I believe would be a kickoff, and I'm not sure about that. You can take possession, but may not be allowed to advance it.

If the d touches it first, it could be ruled a muff, which can also not be advanced. If that happens and is recovered in the end zone, it's a score, but not otherwise, IIRC.

Gawd, did I really kick this thread again? Sorry.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SalishHawkFan":20ew0v61 said:
If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?

Because kickers. Haven't you seen Ace Ventura?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":2edi7qjq said:
but people,

My question is:
Why not try ???

The odds of success for the two cases is very minimal..........
Let's assume for the sake of the argument that the odds are exactly the same.

WTF are you complaining about? Turn your question around -- why not try the hail mary?

To answer your question, why not try the 65 yard long kick?

A. Pete obviously thought that FG attempt had less of a chance of succeeding than a pass play (which, I remind you, we have had success with earlier in the year with the same QB and receivers).

B. The last time he faced that situation while playing the Falcons, he did try the long field goal. It was unsuccessful, and he got raked over the coals for it.

sutz

Reaction score
Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

;)

hawkmanj

Reaction score
All season long we saw Wilson lead us on game winning drives, many of which had a long TD passes to seal it. No reason to take the ball out of his hands for a 65 yarder. It just didn't work out this time.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":iru924lz said:
SalishHawkFan":iru924lz said:

Because kickers. Haven't you seen Ace Ventura?

But how many times has a 65 yarder been the distance you need. Usually on hail marys its longer

The Outfield

Reaction score
With Clemons and Miller out, 49ers home field advantage, and their pumped up attitude, I do not doubt there was a strong chance we would have lost this game.

It's not worth spending too much time and energy on ifs, ands, and buts.

khc17

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1vxzyeop said:
B. The last time he faced that situation while playing the Falcons, he did try the long field goal. It was unsuccessful, and he got raked over the coals for it.

Thank you!

I've been reading these forums for a long time and finally registered here because I couldn't believe nobody was bringing this up. Exact same score and team...

Carmon1274

Reaction score
What would had been very hilarious was Pete going for FG and then calls timeout, and lets his kicker practice, then go back and call RW in to go for hail mary. :p

OP
OP
glowingeyedseahawk
Reaction score
sutz":32u7gwp7 said:
Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

;)

Thank You, Sutz !!! :th2thumbs:
FINALLY, a response that I can totally agree with.....
I'll bye the hail-mary play to get a possible PI call and one more final play for the win......THIS MAKES SENSE

Otherwise, I'd have to "agree to disagree" with most responses from this thread...
sorry, I just think the FG was worth the try here....something tells me it was makeable at that time ??

Twisted

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":314mkwki said:
The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

Longwell's longest is 55 yards.

I saw Longwell making 55 yarders during Viking practice easily near the tops of the goal posts, they weren't squeeking by they were sailing..

its real sad to me

the Gods were speaking and thats why the Hawks kicker was hurt and Longwell came aboard, so he could set a FG post season winning record of 65 yards, the GODS WERE SPEAKING

sadly no one was listening, Longwell was supposed to go down in history, the Gods were smited, I've competed enough to know what happens when you smite the Gods, typically they smite you back.. ;)

some times its better to roll with the punches than to have the punches roll you...

so many mental errors, learn from it and move on.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.

Twisted

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":2xkrozl4 said:
OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.

the percentage of kicking the FG is hihger than the 65 yarder, simply because there are no fails, cuz no one trys em

it was a sign, new kicker, FG to win, 63 yards is the current record, rookie in the superbowl...

you guys don't get how magic works or why it works for that matter, keep fighting it, see how that works out for ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.