Still hung-up on the 65-yard FG attempt...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

Longwell's longest is 55 yards.
    Could he connect and get one 30 feet longer ??
    Maybe......
    Indoors,
    No weather elements to factor in ??
    Kick-offs ~ (from a tee, I know) ....spotted from the 35 to the endzone = 65 yards
    I know this is different, but he was putting this balls CLOSE to th endzone on kick-offs.
    He's been in the league for how long ??
    .....give him a shot !!
    What did we bring him in for ??
    .....60 yard kick-offs to the 5 yard line, I guess ????? :229031_banghead:
    "If You're Good At Making Excuses, You'll Never Be Great At Anything Else." ~ Richard Sherman

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk
    * PA's # 1 Seahawks Fan *

• Kickoffs are pretty different than field goals.. 65 yarder has a huge chance to get blocked, and an even bigger chance to come up short
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• The odds of making it?

How many 65 yard field goals have you seen made in the NFL?
    Because I KNOW I've seen more successful Hail Marys
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Kickers who can make 65 yarders are not unemployed in January. Maybe if it were Hauchska, but even then I dont think the chances are higher then a hail mary... Anyway, never an option with Longwell.
    roiyair
    NET Practice Squad

• Pstark3 wrote:Kickoffs are pretty different than field goals.. 65 yarder has a huge chance to get blocked, and an even bigger chance to come up short

So, what you're saying is the HAIL-MARY pass has a huge chance to get blocked (down), and an even bigger chance to come up short !!??

:hmmmm: hmmmmm, different odds for sure !!??
    lol
    "If You're Good At Making Excuses, You'll Never Be Great At Anything Else." ~ Richard Sherman

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk

• The difficulty is exponentially higher the farther away.

From 60 is probably 4 times more likely, and 55 is twice as likely at that.

55 would have been the closest I'd feel ok about without having a top 10 kicker.

If we had that kid from St Louis 65 might be worth it.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• but people,

My question is:
    Why not try ???

The odds of success for the two cases is very minimal..........

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk

• The record is 63 yards (I believe) Tom Dempsey, 1970 & Broncos' kickers just a few years ago, right ??

Why did their coaches send them out there to attempt such a long (and never tried before) FG attempt ??
    ....to just TRY and see what happens !!??

Those were both made successfully OUTSIDE.
    Longwell has the ability to make a FG (30 FEET) longer than his previous longest attempt !!
    (inside, no less)

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk

• Odds of a hail mary succeeding: slim
    Odds of a 65 yd FG succeeding: none

Whats the current NFL record? IIRC it's still 63 yds.

:229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• It's still 63 yards. Akers tied it this season against SF.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I believe I heard it was actually 67 yards if we would have attempted the kick. I don't know about you, but I trust Russ to make a deep play more than I trust Longwell (who was unemployed until we picked him up for the game) to make a 67 yarder. And we can play coulda woulda shoulda all day, but it's not going to change anything. We took a shot with the guy coach thought had the best shot at making a play for us, and it didn't pan out. That's just the way it works out sometimes. Just my two cents.
    Tezz
    NET Bench Warmer

• It would have come up short. That has been one of the main knocks on Longwell in recent seasons: he lost his range. He hasn't even attempted much over 50. That's part of the reason he was available.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• If we had attempted a 65 yard field goal for the win I would want Russell Wilson to do the honors.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• ...just a silly question to all of this...

What are the rules for the offensive team of scoring off a short FG attempt ??
    I know the defense has a chance to return a short FG - if caught in the air and returned like a punt.
    Can the offense score on a FG that is "popped-up" - caught in the air, like a pass, and run into the endzone ??
    Crazy I know, ....just asking ?? :stirthepot:

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk

• A 1% hail mary is still better odds than a 0% 65 yard field goal. Don't bother thinking about it anymore, that fg wasnt physically possible
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• If we had Zurlein, you might have a point. But we don't, so you don't.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• So you want a guy who has played 16 years and never made a FG longer then 55 yards to come off the couch and kick a 65 yarder. I'll take my chances with Golden Tate.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Because if he had called a FG it would have missed short 15 yards, and then you would say "why didnt we throw a hail mary, Russ was on fire, and Golden knows how to get them."

Not to mention kickers test their leg before the game. Coaches know how long their leg is that day and call kicks accordingly. If he didnt make any that far in practice vs noone how do you think its a great idea to send him out there with the game on the line?
    "When is the NFL going to start fining receivers for running routes across KAM’S MIDDLE?!?!"
    -bpup33
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

• Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Sprfunk wrote:Because if he had called a FG it would have missed short 15 yards, and then you would say "why didnt we throw a hail mary, Russ was on fire, and Golden knows how to get them."

Not to mention kickers test their leg before the game. Coaches know how long their leg is that day and call kicks accordingly. If he didnt make any that far in practice vs noone how do you think its a great idea to send him out there with the game on the line?

I love being an "armchair coach" but I don't think I would've cryin' about NOT throwing the hail-mary to Golden....

Fact is - a better 1st half performance...along with Russell's 4th quarter heroics, PLUS our D's final 31 second meltdown....
    and they'd be no need for a hail-mary or 65 FG to win it !!??

To win a championship, you can't play a divisional game for only 2 quarters and still win.... (maybe, with some luck)
    Mistakes cost us this game......not the hail-mary or 65 yarder.

The future is BRIGHT and we'll learn from these mistakes ~ NEXT YEAR.

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.

Yeah, but when the longest he was hitting in practice was 50, I don't think those factors add up to another 15-17 yards..
    Tezz
    NET Bench Warmer

• They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• This topic is completely idiotic
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter

• can we be done with this silly speculation. Longwell couldnt even kick a touchback, let alone a 55 yard field goal
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

• Zowert wrote:They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.

There were 2 seconds left on the clock after the pass. Even something a little bit longer likely would have ended the game
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• A 65 yard FG from a kicker that's nearly 40?

:lol:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• glowingeyedseahawk wrote:The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

Could he connect and get one 30 feet longer ??
    Maybe......
    Indoors,
    No weather elements to factor in ??
    Kick-offs ~ (from a tee, I know) ....spotted from the 35 to the endzone = 65 yards
    I know this is different, but he was putting this balls CLOSE to th endzone on kick-offs.
    He's been in the league for how long ??
    .....give him a shot !!
    What did we bring him in for ??
    .....60 yard kick-offs to the 5 yard line, I guess ????? :229031_banghead:

If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• glowingeyedseahawk wrote:...just a silly question to all of this...

What are the rules for the offensive team of scoring off a short FG attempt ??
    I know the defense has a chance to return a short FG - if caught in the air and returned like a punt.
    Can the offense score on a FG that is "popped-up" - caught in the air, like a pass, and run into the endzone ??
    Crazy I know, ....just asking ?? :stirthepot:

No. Once the ball is kicked, it is essentially a change of possession. On a punt, if the kicking team touches it first, it is downed at that spot. I'd assume a FG would be the same. The only kick the O can advance, I believe would be a kickoff, and I'm not sure about that. You can take possession, but may not be allowed to advance it.

If the d touches it first, it could be ruled a muff, which can also not be advanced. If that happens and is recovered in the end zone, it's a score, but not otherwise, IIRC.

Gawd, did I really kick this thread again? Sorry.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• SalishHawkFan wrote:If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?

Because kickers. Haven't you seen Ace Ventura?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• glowingeyedseahawk wrote:but people,

My question is:
    Why not try ???

The odds of success for the two cases is very minimal..........

Let's assume for the sake of the argument that the odds are exactly the same.

WTF are you complaining about? Turn your question around -- why not try the hail mary?

To answer your question, why not try the 65 yard long kick?

A. Pete obviously thought that FG attempt had less of a chance of succeeding than a pass play (which, I remind you, we have had success with earlier in the year with the same QB and receivers).

B. The last time he faced that situation while playing the Falcons, he did try the long field goal. It was unsuccessful, and he got raked over the coals for it.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• All season long we saw Wilson lead us on game winning drives, many of which had a long TD passes to seal it. No reason to take the ball out of his hands for a 65 yarder. It just didn't work out this time.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?

Because kickers. Haven't you seen Ace Ventura?

But how many times has a 65 yarder been the distance you need. Usually on hail marys its longer
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• With Clemons and Miller out, 49ers home field advantage, and their pumped up attitude, I do not doubt there was a strong chance we would have lost this game.

It's not worth spending too much time and energy on ifs, ands, and buts.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:B. The last time he faced that situation while playing the Falcons, he did try the long field goal. It was unsuccessful, and he got raked over the coals for it.

Thank you!

I've been reading these forums for a long time and finally registered here because I couldn't believe nobody was bringing this up. Exact same score and team...
    khc17
    NET Bench Warmer

• What would had been very hilarious was Pete going for FG and then calls timeout, and lets his kicker practice, then go back and call RW in to go for hail mary. :P
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

;)

Thank You, Sutz !!! :th2thumbs:
    FINALLY, a response that I can totally agree with.....
    I'll bye the hail-mary play to get a possible PI call and one more final play for the win......THIS MAKES SENSE

Otherwise, I'd have to "agree to disagree" with most responses from this thread...
    sorry, I just think the FG was worth the try here....something tells me it was makeable at that time ??

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk

• glowingeyedseahawk wrote:The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

I saw Longwell making 55 yarders during Viking practice easily near the tops of the goal posts, they weren't squeeking by they were sailing..

its real sad to me

the Gods were speaking and thats why the Hawks kicker was hurt and Longwell came aboard, so he could set a FG post season winning record of 65 yards, the GODS WERE SPEAKING

sadly no one was listening, Longwell was supposed to go down in history, the Gods were smited, I've competed enough to know what happens when you smite the Gods, typically they smite you back.. ;)

some times its better to roll with the punches than to have the punches roll you...

so many mental errors, learn from it and move on.
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

• Hawk-A-Loogie wrote:OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.

the percentage of kicking the FG is hihger than the 65 yarder, simply because there are no fails, cuz no one trys em

it was a sign, new kicker, FG to win, 63 yards is the current record, rookie in the superbowl...

you guys don't get how magic works or why it works for that matter, keep fighting it, see how that works out for ya...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• I hate to say this, but I think Longwell is actually the guy who cost us the game. After Seattle scored the go ahead Touch down, all he needed to do was boot the ball out of the endzone and give them the ball at their 20.
    NO. His kick off was returned to the 33 yards line. That's a massive difference of 13 yards. I don't know if Matt Ryan would have completed three long passes in a row. Everyone of the Falcons offense started well above the 25 yards line, while the Seahawks had to go 80 yards.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• It was a team loss. Longwell didn't cost us anything all by himself, but he certainly contributed per your observation.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.

When it hit the ground before even reaching the end zone you wouldn't have loved it.

I could get your "adrenaline" argument for a 55 or 58 yarder. A 65 yarder? Not a chance in hell.

I remember when I was a kid playing Madden, if you tried over a 55 yarder and missed. Madden would laugh at you and say, "Who do they think their kicker is, Superman?"
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Longwell would not even come close, just does not have that type of leg, heck not many kickers period have that type of leg, at least a hail-mary gave us a slim chance.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• The Hail Mary at least had a chance Wilson got the ball into the end zone also we could have gotten a PI call and won the game that way, the FG is never going to happen with Longwell from 65 yards. OP is saying well it's just an extra 30 feet well that's a big deal and Longwell is a long way from his prime when he could kick a 55 yarder.

We could go out there with 1000 footballs, no defense on the field and just let him kick every one of them from 65 he's not going to make any not a week ago, not today and at no point in the future is he making a 65 yard field goal.
    SuperFreak
    NET Starter

• glowingeyedseahawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

;)

Thank You, Sutz !!! :th2thumbs:
    FINALLY, a response that I can totally agree with.....
    I'll bye the hail-mary play to get a possible PI call and one more final play for the win......THIS MAKES SENSE

Otherwise, I'd have to "agree to disagree" with most responses from this thread...
    sorry, I just think the FG was worth the try here....something tells me it was makeable at that time ??

Well, that weed legalization thing just kicked in, didn't it? Maybe that's what's telling you it was a makeable kick.

Look, only 12 FGs in NFL history have been 60+ yards. Only 4 have been made from 63, and two of those were at a mile elevation where the thinner air aided the kick. It's not an accident that there are so few successful kicks from that range.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Greg Zeurlein of the Rams I'd let try the 65-yarder, but nobody else in the league would even be close.
    It could have been interesting to line up like attempting a FG but then throw the Hail Mary. Except I think Jon Ryan is the holder. So there's the case for signing Tebow, right there. Line up for the FG, Tebow as the holder, either throw the Hail Mary to Tate/Rice for the win, or run it in himself, or maybe a throw to Tate on the left, then a 31-home-run-throwback to Tebow on the right. Actually make that first throw to Rice. And there's always the hook and ladder play back to the QB. (Remember the Dolphins hook-and-ladder that beat the Steelers?)
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• In Denver on a clear day with a perfectly straight tail wind...I'd still go for the hail mary.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

• Can we lock this topic?
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter

• Twisted wrote:
    Hawk-A-Loogie wrote:OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

the percentage of kicking the FG is hihger than the 65 yarder, simply because there are no fails, cuz no one trys em

it was a sign, new kicker, FG to win, 63 yards is the current record, rookie in the superbowl...

you guys don't get how magic works or why it works for that matter, keep fighting it, see how that works out for ya...

:lol:

He's damn near 40.. the ball wouldn't have gone past the 5.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Next

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information