Why I am rooting for the 49ers the rest of the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's probably not very nice of me, but I'd love nothing better than to have the '9ers lose on a last-second Falcons score just like we did.

Hello, Mr. Schadenfreude!

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
drdiags":3km1s54h said:
BTW, hate to be a fuddy duddy, but this seems more like an NFL Forum Post. Though it tries to tie back to Seahawks interest if really is just a 9ers fan magnet and I see no reason to have to read 9ers posts in the main forum. The OP knows this but he tends not to like posting in the outlands because he likes for all to review his take. All I ask is that we be fair to those of us that really could do without the 9ers beehive this was intended to stir.

EDIT: And for the record. No way in hell do I want the 9ers to win the Superbowl or this coming weekend. I don't want to catch them while they were sleeping off a victory party. Catch them hungry. If you believe Pete's mantra of competition, you would want the team beating its opponents at their best.

I usually trust the mods to make that call. If they had moved it, I wouldn't have complained.

IMO, this IS a Seahawks topic though. Let's be 100% honest, if Seattle beats out SF for the division next year, their chances of winning the SB skyrocket. Everything that is bad for SF is great for us.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Are you seriously saying that the 9ers winning the SB is bad for them?

morgulon1

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":3o0bqzuo said:
Never.
Root.
For.
The.
Niners.

EVER.

The last thing I want is some Niner Fan in here, waving their SIXTH trophy while we have none.
At least those insufferable bastards shut up when I say "quit living in the good old VHS days of your Super Bowls."

Agreed. I cannot bring myself to bring myself to support the niners in any way shape or form. ANY.
I cant even share my true wishess on here as they have been labeled a little harsh, uncooth.

I hate the niners with all my heart.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":xmig51fk said:
HaHaHa. Well. That makes it a clean sweep of the division, kearly.

In 2009, you threatened to leave the Seahawks behind and support the Arizona Cardinals because you were pissed off about the Aaron Curry selection.

In week 17 of 2010 you openly supported the Rams to beat the Seahawks for the division and draft position.

And, here in 2013 you are rooting to see a San Francisco Super Bowl Chamqpionship.

Man. You get around.

Haha. Truth be told, the Rams are the only team in this division I don't like. I liked the 49ers and Cardinals a lot before realignment. I grew up in AZ and when I was a kid I got a signed football from Steve Young. I do dislike Harbaugh, but a lot of that shine has been taken off after Seattle humiliated him last month. As time goes on, I actually like having Harbaugh in the division because it gives the Seahawks a true rival, something they haven't had since the Raiders in the 80s.

AbsolutNET":xmig51fk said:
Are you seriously saying that the 9ers winning the SB is bad for them?

In 2013 and beyond yes. Albeit in a subtle fashion.

Here are how the last ten SB winning teams fared in their follow up season:

2012 Giants- Missed playoffs
2011 Packers- Had an incredible 15-1 season, but went one and done in playoffs.
2010 Saints- Failed to win division and went one and done losing to 7-9 Seahawks in first round of playoffs.
2009 Steelers- Missed playoffs.
2008 Giants- Had a very good 12-4 season, but went one and done in the playoffs.
2007 Colts- Had a good 13-3 season but went one and done in the playoffs.
2006 Seahawks- Won four fewer games and had a negative point differential, but still reached playoffs and won a playoff game. Lost in Divisional round.
2005 Patriots- Only went 10-6, which is the worst record of the Belichick/Brady era. Lost in divisional round.
2004 Patriots- Repeat SB Champs.
2003 Bucs- Missed playoffs with 7-9 record.

Of those 10, only 4 did not decline the next season (2010 Packers, 2007 Giants, 2006 Colts, 2004 Pats) compared to 6 teams that declined. Three teams failed to make the playoffs altogether*. The remaining teams all declined, but still made the playoffs (and then lost immediately). The last 6 champions in a row have failed to win a playoff game the next season, and only the 2004 Patriots made it further than the divisional round. It's worth noting that the only glaring exception on this list is a team most consider to be a modern dynasty.

*it's actually four, if you think the Steelers won XL.

Now, I'm not saying this is scientific. It's not. It's really a question of how psychology plays into the game of football. Once you've been to the top of the mountain, for most teams there is a let down during the following season.

Teams that lose the SB have it even worse. On second thought, I think that is what I'm rooting for. I'm hoping SF reaches the SB to face the Ravens for the "Harbaugh Bowl", and big bro wins it. That way he can hold it over his little brother for the rest of his life, and the 49ers have to recover from an intense emotional setback.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Well, I would bet you that if the 49ers reach the SB you'll see topics a couple days after the big game talking about the SB curse and other aspects that do not favor SF. I just like to post things I see over the horizon, and at times they end up ahead of their time. Which I'm fine with. There is no right/wrong here, I am just expressing what I see and I think this could work out in Seattle's favor.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
So how many times have the SB champs division rivals gone on to win the super bowl?

And, the Hawks didn't win the SB they played in...and notice on your list that 3 teams eventually repeated as champs. Whats to say the 9ers won't be one of them with your reasoning?

How about the 9ers don't win this year, we continue to improve and just win it ourselves? You're REALLY reaching here, my friend.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1xaa6dw2 said:
And, the Hawks didn't win the SB they played in.

I think I was too subtle with my humor on that one. The actual champs declined even more than Seattle did in 2006, fwiw.

No they aren't, and no it doesn't. If they win, are you going to say "Boy, those Cardinals really aren't so bad!"

Yes, the Cardinals aren't going to rep the NFC West very well. But if fans think the two best teams in the NFL play in the NFC West, and that the Rams would make the playoffs if they were in a different division, that's going to elevate the perception of the NFC West, and SF reaching the SB would further that perception. I think if anything people will feel really sorry for Arizona because their division is so brutal.

Of course, that doesn't help the Seahawks on the field in any way, I just think it's cool because it's more respect for the division and by extension more respect for our team.

So how many times have the SB champs division rivals gone on to win the super bowl?

How is this relevant? I am talking about the 49ers declining, not the Seahawks improving (I have a lot of faith in our FO and take improvement as a given). As far as eventual championships, that is a fair point, but IMO this trend could still benefit the Seahawks next season.

In other sports- college football, basketball, hockey, and most especially baseball, there is no such thing as a champship decline. It is rare for a powerhouse team to reach the championship and fall on hard times the next season. In football, it is more common than uncommon. I won't try to change your mind, because it's not scientific and it's not even a big sample size. But it's interesting enough to make me think there is a good chance there could be real reasons behind it.

And in the SB losers case, the evidence is overwhelming. I do not think SF will win it all, but I do think they will reach the SB. I trust Harbaugh will keep a tight ship and you won't see anything crazy like a 7-9 season out of them next year, but if they decline just a tiny bit and go 10-6, that opens the door wide for Seattle to get the division. Not saying it WILL happen, just saying that SF will face a psychological disadvantage this offseason if they reach the SB (especially if they lose it), one that has typically made an impact the next NFL season.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I happen to work with a huge niners fan, he's in the cube right next to mine. He rubbed it in my face when they barely beat us the first time (he was out of town when we destroyed them at home), he has let me know that it really didn't matter that we lost to the falcons because after killing greenbay we didn't have a shot to beat them at home, colin is way better than wilson, their D is better than our, blah, blah, blah...I hate the niners more than any other team on the face of this earth and nothing would bring a bigger smile to my face than seeing Atlanta destroy them.

I was hoping they beat GB because I wanted to rub it in his face when we smashed them up again in SF, but since that didn't happen there is no way I could bring myself to root for them again. In fact, I hope colin has the absolute worst game of his career, their D falls apart and Gore is stuffed for nothing like he was at Clink.

nuff said...

HawksFTW

Reaction score
kearly":26aqv50u said:
Well, I would bet you that if the 49ers reach the SB you'll see topics a couple days after the big game talking about the SB curse and other aspects that do not favor SF. I just like to post things I see over the horizon, and at times they end up ahead of their time. Which I'm fine with.

There is a difference between those two things, though, Kearly. Saying these things if SF wins the SB is more finding the silver lining in a bad situation. You are actively rooting for the bad situation, just to have that silver lining to look forward to. It isn't necessarily forward thinking or ahead of its time, as this has been talked about for the last decade at least.

Really, I think it has less to do with psychology of being on top, and more with a couple of facts: that the teams that win (or make it to the SB) are playing longer than everyone else, they in general are playing harder schedules the next year, and their players/coaches are sought after in free agency and coaching vacancies that offseason. It is rare to keep a successful team together on all levels for more than a year or two.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Ninerguy":1xriu989 said:
formido":1xriu989 said:
Only the last thing you've done counts. Even today, 42-13 wins a lot of arguments and

Wilson: 1
Kaep: 0

...head-to-head wins a lot of arguments. No matter what happens this year, when SF loses its first game to us next year, you're gonna be able to cut the angst in the Bay Area with a knife.

LOL, regular season is only for playoff seeding, if it makes you feel better that Carrol finally beat Harbaugh then more power to ya...Playoff wins are all that matters and winning the SB is the only goal.
see ya next season!

And it begins. I can't believe Kearly is the OPer on this topic. Shame OPer SHAME. :141847_bnono:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3r5lyn7o said:
AbsolutNET":3r5lyn7o said:

How is this relevant? I am talking about the 49ers declining, not the Seahawks improving (I have a lot of faith in our FO and take improvement as a given). As far as eventual championships, that is a fair point, but IMO this trend could still benefit the Seahawks next season.

I think you weaseled around the point Absolut made. Just because they might decline next year does mean they're being set up for the eventual decline. Both the Steelers (sort of) and the Giants have gone on to win multiple Super Bowls after a decline the season afterwards. So, there's no guarantee the 49ers will completely decline which is what people on this board really want.

drdiags

Reaction score
kearly":1h34arcj said:
IMO, this IS a Seahawks topic though. Let's be 100% honest, if Seattle beats out SF for the division next year, their chances of winning the SB skyrocket. Everything that is bad for SF is great for us.

Obviously the mods agree with you, since this post remains in the main forum.

I can respect one's right to say things. I just do not agree with this whole line of thinking. It seems like trying to sneak through the back door. Earn things on your own merit not wishing for the demise of your opponent. Be the better team, not one that gets in due to their opponents being emotionally and physically out of synch.

Big picture, different perspective. I understand the out the box thinking. Plus what else do we have going on? But you do tend to violate the spirit of the forums with attempts to play loosely with where appropriate discussions should occur. You have admitted to this in the past. As a community member I just asked that you consider what is asked of others, since we all can set examples of what is expected behavior. Just my two cents.

Twisted

Reaction score
WRONG!!!

I have been involved in competing long enough to know you can't get better unless you play BETTER opponents, and you CANNOT be the best until you compete with and beat the BEST

do you want the Hawks to be like the falcoons and go one and out in post season 3 years straight?

or how about the 2010 Saints?

you can't play at higher levels if you never play at higher levels!

sure the falcons are a little better by playing the Hawks but not good enough to beat the niners, maybe they can play at the Pats level but the niners are obviously elevated, WHY?

the spanking they got at the Clink thats why, they played a team at a higher level and that made them a better team

don't play like the falcons and expect to be a world beater competing against a total of only 13 teams that finished above .500.... to be the best, you have to beat the best... ;)

FOGHORN

Reaction score
As a Seahawks fan you should never root for the 9ers to win anything other than the first pick in the draft. As a Falcons fan I rooted for Peyton Manning and his forehead to beat the Taints in 2009.

Plus I can't stand the 9ers from the days when Falcons were in the division with them.

Starrman44

Reaction score
FWIW, I am vacillating between the Falcons and Niners this week. I still don't have the hatred for the Niners that I did for the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs (never could hate San Diego, I don't know why). The only team left that I truly hate is the Steelers. I can't hardly hate the Raiders after Al died and they are so awful.

I really want the NFC West to be the best division in football. I can't stand Jim Harbaugh, but there are a lot of players on the Niners that I like. Joe Staley, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, etc. They seem like pretty good guys, they just play for the other team.

I want the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, but I really don't hate any of the teams that are left. I more or less just want to see some great, competitive games.

As far as the Niners super bowl trophies, I really don't care how many they have (what's one more). The only thing that matters to me is whether the Hawks win it or not (aaaaand the Steelers don't). If the Niners have 13 super bowl rings and we win one, it won't make it any less sweeter for me.

I guess as a fan, I have began to mirror the players. Players rarely hate each other like they used to. It's about competing and respecting each other. It's weird, as long as we have a chance I can feel a lot of dislike for teams and fan bases, but when we are out of it the venom dissipates . I have found that I just don't get a lot of joy rooting against a particular franchise. With the Steelers, I can't help myself, it just hurts my soul any time I see that QB win anything. I would hate to see him win a game of checkers.

I know it probably opens me up for criticism, but Kearly is taking a beating over it and I feel like a hypocrite for not stating the way I feel.

Only other team I have a hatred for really, besides Pittsburgh, is the Oregon Duck football team (even then, sometimes I plug my nose and go for the Pac-12).

All right, where is my "terrible fan" t-shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.