Flynn to Jax?

Zowert

Reaction score
Why would we waste a first round pick on a QB when we don't need one? I know Pete is all about competition, but I don't think he would throw away our top pick just to get a QB competition in training camp. Especially when Russell Wilson will win the starting job anyway. I don't think anyone can work harder, stay as focused and dedicate themselves to the game more than Russ. Dude is one of a kind.

And for Matt Flynn. I think his departure is inevitable. Where To, that's the question. The Jags are probably one of the most likely teams. But there are other teams out there who need a QB that is capable of coming in and making an immediate impact. I'm stilling thinking that Dallas is going to ditch Tony Romo and snag Barkley in the draft. If that doesn't work out, I see them making an offer for Flynn. Hell, I could see them making an offer for Flynn regardless of whether or not they get a decent QB out of the draft.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I really don't know what value Flynn has but I doubt this year hurt it any. Had Wilson not shown the entire football world why he won the starting role then maybe you could question how Flynn lost to a rookie but with Wilson's performance this year I doubt anyone is holding that against Flynn.

If GM's only look at stats then they will dismiss Flynn's preseason performance but that GM shouldn't have a job in football at any level. I suspect if the GM's around the league with potential interest in Flynn will actually watch the preseason tape and see a! QB with no continuity with his receivers and running a new offense still making good defensive reads, audibling when needed and getting the ball out quickly, accurately and with plenty of zip and arm strength. They will also see tons of critical drive killing drops as well as what looked like a requested force feeding the ball to TO.

The point being he looked like he was doing all the right things and this time in a new offence lacking all the weapons he had in GB.

Some here I think want to discredit Flynn so bad they ignore whatever they need to and hang onto comments like no one wanted him last year but if you look at Flynn and the situation objectively I think it really is just ignoring for whatever reason. I'm even seeing the weak arm comments resurfacing. Like Flynn or not he definitely disproved that in preseason.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeaWolv":1oebyf2x said:
seabowl":1oebyf2x said:
Don't think we get much for Flynn in a trade. Personally I would rather hold onto him. With Russ's tendency to run I think there is a decent chance he gets hurt at some point. Would rather have a good backup to get us through that period.

He doesn't take a lot of hits like RG3. He's effective at sliding and getting out of bounds. I don't remember seeing him take a big hit all year.
One. It was a helmet-to-helmet vs. either Skins or last game against Lambs. Skins IIRC. No penalty called (but if ET merely touches Tannehill's head it's freakin' flag city).

The Battle #83

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3vaxr4u3 said:
Why do we think anyone would trade for him when nobody else even wanted to sign him last year? We think losing his starting job and sitting on the bench all year somehow makes him more valuable? I don't get it.

this, stop being homers

pehawk

Reaction score
The Battle #83":3cqph2a4 said:
Hawkstorian":3cqph2a4 said:
Why do we think anyone would trade for him when nobody else even wanted to sign him last year? We think losing his starting job and sitting on the bench all year somehow makes him more valuable? I don't get it.

this, stop being homers

Yeah, because there's 6 potential franchise QB's in the draft and Manning THIS offseason too!

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The Battle #83":muyo7ahc said:
Hawkstorian":muyo7ahc said:

this, stop being homers

I think you are over-generalizing the situation. This year is not last year, for one. Tons of new head coaches, GMs and QB openings. Lots of need, crap draft, few viable options, value is up.

He did not lose his starting job. It was never his. Regardless, he did not become a less talented player sitting on the bench this year.

We can definitely move him, teams will be interested. Guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out to see who is really the homer here. :p

Fanatics

Reaction score
We are going to get the same thing the 49ers are going to get for Alex Smith, nothing. Personally I would give more for Alex, since at least he has proven he can win in the right system. So I will ask everyone, what is Alex worth? Whatever you state, we can assume Flynn is worth a little less.

I believe both Flynn and Smith are cut to save money, if the cap hit is not too large.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Battle #83":33ukiynr said:
Hawkstorian":33ukiynr said:

this, stop being homers

The 2012 NFL Draft and FA were far superior to this years class. We won't get a first rounder.. but saying a team wouldn't be interested in Flynn is foolish IMO. Not to mention.. 8 teams changed coaches.. 4 teams changed GM's AND Coaches. That means there will be some teams who may be interested in a Matt Flynn that weren't a year ago.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
No, i agree that we can get something for flynn, but not a 1st rounder. i should have made that more clear. I was calling those people homers

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Fanatics":2nrarl2v said:
We are going to get the same thing the 49ers are going to get for Alex Smith, nothing. Personally I would give more for Alex, since at least he has proven he can win in the right system. So I will ask everyone, what is Alex worth? Whatever you state, we can assume Flynn is worth a little less.

I believe both Flynn and Smith are cut to save money, if the cap hit is not too large.

Gotta disagree about Smith. If anything he has proven he is not starter caliber and even in a system loaded with talent and a probowl O-line they still had to dumb down the system for him to be successful. It is similar to Tarvaris Jackson here last year, he was the weak link and was holding the team back, yet we still got a draft pick for him and now in a lessor system he wasn't even good enough to be activated for a single game.

Flynn hasn't proven that he can consistently produce but so far has passed with flying colors every test he has come up against including preseason were his stats look horrible. An intelligent GM/Coach understands how the team affects positively and negatively how the QB performs. Would you rather have a QB that at least has shown good reason to believe he won't hold your team back or a guy you know you have to dumb down your system and likely have a dominant system just for him to be decent?

I think most would be more willing to take a risk on Flynn were there is still hope he can become the next Hasselbeck instead of taking a guy they know they have to massively adjust for to hope he can be successful.

Fanatics

Reaction score
RichNhansom":13jchgrl said:
Fanatics":13jchgrl said:

Gotta disagree about Smith. If anything he has proven he is not starter caliber and even in a system loaded with talent and a probowl O-line they still had to dumb down the system for him to be successful. It is similar to Tarvaris Jackson here last year, he was the weak link and was holding the team back, yet we still got a draft pick for him and now in a lessor system he wasn't even good enough to be activated for a single game.

Flynn hasn't proven that he can consistently produce but so far has passed with flying colors every test he has come up against including preseason were his stats look horrible. An intelligent GM/Coach understands how the team affects positively and negatively how the QB performs. Would you rather have a QB that at least has shown good reason to believe he won't hold your team back or a guy you know you have to dumb down your system and likely have a dominant system just for him to be decent?

I think most would be more willing to take a risk on Flynn were there is still hope he can become the next Hasselbeck instead of taking a guy they know they have to massively adjust for to hope he can be successful.

If this is true, I am very worried about the 49ers now. They dumbed down the system for Smith and still made it to the NFCCG last year...wow!

mikeak

Reaction score
Don't worry about 49ers. They wont be as good once Crabtree gets locked up for a year

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd think it would be a 3rd rounder for Flynn. Multiple teams interested and the contract isn't that heavy, but still probably a 3rd rounder.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Fanatics":vz7cgd5h said:
RichNhansom":vz7cgd5h said:
Fanatics":vz7cgd5h said:

If this is true, I am very worried about the 49ers now. They dumbed down the system for Smith and still made it to the NFCCG last year...wow!

With good reason but there are other factors that also come in. The Niners key players are aging. Justin Smith who is the key to that defense and that defense is the key to their flexibility on offense, is turning 34 in September. Worse than that Harbaugh plays his starters 97%+ of snaps so you can reasonably expect breakdowns in health as well as lack of experience for the replacements.

The QB gets far to much credit and blame for a game that is the ultimate team sport. A good one can make a big difference just like a bad one can but ultimately it is the team that dictates wins and loss's.

Right now Kapernick isn't my biggest worry. So far he has shown he is athletic and has great physical intangibles but ultimately the QB position is a cerebral position and that question about Kap has definitely still been unanswered. We've seen him do good and bad but what happens when the team around him deteriorates or defenses learn how to take away his mobility? Which I think will happen sooner rather than later. He hasn't shown to be a good pocket QB so far.

I honestly believe this is the last year the Niners will be as dominant as they have been recently. It is unsustainable the way Harbaugh plays them and without Justin Smith that team will become average in a hurry.

Throwdown

Reaction score
If we got offered anything above a 6th rounder, I'd take it and laugh all the way to the draft.