Assuming Flynn's traded - who do you want?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I think it's funny that I read the list and said "Chase Daniel and T-Jack" and then get to the bottom and see the OP says the same thing. Chase Daniel is a lot like Russ. He was a tremendous college QB, but was labeled "too short", even though he had a great arm and was a great leader. I think he is looking to take over for Brees someday though. T-Jack is an ideal backup. Hard worker, good guy, great teammate, strong, big, willing to support his team.

I found it interesting at the end of the game that Flynn walked over to Russ and gave him a hug and said a couple of words to him like he was wishing him luck moving forward and saying his big adios. It was like how opposing QB's greet each other at midfield at the end of the game, but this was our own players. I think Flynn 100% knows he has no chance in Seattle, wishes them well, but wants to go away.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ryan Young... er, Vince Leaf?
In an ideal world, Vince Young if a year out of football has given him a new outlook.
So PC/JS should give him a look; the TO circus had no ill effects, so what the hell, why not.
I just won't bet on it turning out successful.
While we're at it, let's bring in Tebow for a look.

Keep Flynn, unless we get a Godfather offer (one we can't refuse), and look to score a hit in the draft the next couple years. Washington unfortunately won't be willing to part with Kirk Cousins. TJack unfortunately can't seem to read defenses, but who knows. maybe Wilson could teach him. So let's go with TJack if we can get him really cheap. Seneca wouldn't be a bad deal either, and if nothing else, would be another receiving option.
Does anyone else remember the UW vs. Baylor game where Keith Price made RGIII look like the "other" QB? Sure, Price has had ups and downs, but he'd be worth a 3rd or 4th draft pick if he declares.

canfan

Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to keep Flynn as he gives us a very good backup. But if he has to go, how about a trade to Jacksonville for Chad Henne and a draft pick or one of their D linemen (I won't claim to know their roster well enough to know who would be a good one to go after). I think Chad could get you through a few games as long as we keep the passing attempts down and lean on the running game and play action. Then draft somebody like Matt Scott out of Arizona in the late rounds as a developmental guy.

jdblack

Reaction score
Tebow would be my choice. He would be overshadowed by Wilson in every way, avoiding the media problems, I don't think he would find a rabid fanbase here like he did from Bible belters, he would get along great with Wilson, and he fits most of the playbook. He's also a very hard worker, and would probably improve more by spending time with Wilson than he would anywhere else. Could even help Wilson out just by being a sounding board (no idea how smart Tebow is, but I think he'd be willing to play the part), where few other backup quarterbacks would stick with Wilson through his long hours watching film. I could also see him splitting time at a few positions if there is a need from injury, especially at tight end where I think he could be an elite player.

If not Tebow, then I'd say go with a raw talent late in the draft or a UDFA.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
AgentDib":2chrdwee said:
I only see two possibilities if we go with a rookie as our #2 this season. We could prepare him to start NFL games if needed by giving him a lot of snaps in the preseason that could otherwise be going to Wilson. Alternatively, we could give those snaps to Wilson anyway and risk having a completely under prepared rookie starting at the most important position on our team. Neither one of these seems like a good idea to me. Am I missing a possibility?

The only other possibility that comes to mind is the concept of learning something better when you have to teach it to someone else. What I mean is, now that Bevell is locked in, he and RW are going to be developing next year's playbook and sorting every little detail throughout the off-season. If we select a rookie in April, RW can take him under his wing and teach the rook, thereby solidifying RW's own comprehensive knowledge of the offense. As many hours as RW puts in on his own time, I'd be willing to bet the rookie would get quite a few snaps and an understanding of the playbook before training camp even starts. It all depends on whether the right guy is out there and available where JS/PC would want him. And I suppose, again with the right guy, that this approach would work with a young-ish veteran as well.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
m0ng0":2f8r7jrj said:
Whats Dennis Dixon doing these days?

Still complaining that he's not the starter in Pittsburgh. At least that's the last anybody heard from him.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Pat White's going to attempt a comeback. He seems to think his NFL failings was due to his lack of commitment.

He'd be worth a look-see.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":7ewa0mo7 said:
Pat White's going to attempt a comeback. He seems to think his NFL failings was due to his lack of commitment.

I remember the first time I saw him take an NFL hit. HEY -OOOOO! It looked like a grade schooler walked in traffic.
It has to be such a rude awakening for the superior college athlete who has no inherent toughness the first time somebody smokes his ass.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3gq9e4ei said:
pehawk":3gq9e4ei said:

I remember the first time I saw him take an NFL hit. HEY -OOOOO! It looked like a grade schooler walked in traffic.
It has to be such a rude awakening for the superior college athlete who has no inherent toughness the first time somebody smokes his ass.

Exactly.

With him, it appeared to be a toughness thing. He just wasn't an option in the Dolphins "Wild-pat". Pistol? Read option? Maybe...

We'll have to ask Montanahawk to be sure, but, you may not be able to change your genitalia from an innie to an outy. If not, he'll be to running QB's what Brock Huard is to pocket passers. One of those "wow, if he had a pair the sky's the limit"

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
pehawk":3e9gi9kp said:
I dont know Salamander.

Alex Smith, Tebow, Shaub come to mind.

Maybe your post was tongue in cheek but Schaub is a pro bowl QB, he chokes in big games but he's still a pro bowl qb. He's not backing anyone up next year.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ttahr0l said:
I just don't think Vince Young's potential reward is worth the risk. I'm not diametrically opposed to it as many others on here are, but I just feel like there are much better options available for us without the risk of being a complete headcase.
Vince's mouth gets him in trouble.

Another thing I don't like about Vince is he tries to play hero too much, you want your backup QB to take care of the ball. When Vince started for the Eagles he threw so many interceptions.

Pstark3

Reaction score
The Battle #83":1ud0ay21 said:
Tebow. Jets messed up by making him bulk up. Him running the read option to give Wilson a breather will keep Wilson fresh in the playoffs
The power of god would be too strong for any team to stop

Throwdown

Reaction score
The Battle #83":24f8qzx2 said:
Tebow. Jets messed up by making him bulk up. Him running the read option to give Wilson a breather will keep Wilson fresh in the playoffs

no way, are you talking about pulling Wilson out for a few plays during drives? Talk about messing up dudes rhythm and such! Did we not see what kind of trouble that causes when the Jets came here and got smacked?

Even Pete had some things to say about the way they were pulling Sanchez out after 2 completed passes to have Tebow go in and screw up the game more!

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The Battle #83":m3sj01rv said:

No, Tebow wouldn't be run in like the downs syndrome kid from Snohomish High School, if brought to Seattle. He'd be a #2, period. And, actually, this offense matches his strengths. He wouldn't be asked to drop and throw to spots, drop, read, make a play.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd want a veteran that can close out a game, sell play action, take a hit, and be accurate on at least intermediate routes. This team is good enough, Wilson is good enough, that it's hard to justify a young, developmental QB. You just want a guy that can beat teams that the Seahawks should beat.

Scotte is right. Grossman makes some sense. Gradkowski would if he had an arm. He's a tough dude and good teammate by all accounts.