Jaye Howard

JerHawk81

Reaction score
The notion that Howard didn't see the field because of depth and quality ahead of him feels wrong to me. McDonald had a bad year, and saw the field and active roster a ton. Probably because we didn't have anyone else better to take that role.

pehawk

Reaction score
To the knucklehead who didn't get my reference; um, I meant Jaye Howard got the same treatment Tate did in year one.

I'm with ya Jerhawk81, sounds odd to me. This is a dude who's only strenght is collapsing the pocket and he gets beat out by Scruggs, 7th rounder who barely played in college.

I got to go tend to my daughter, she's up with her Tubbs syndrome.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If we had not signed Quinn i would not have been surprised to see Howard cut next year. PC/JS are way to active to keep a unutilized DT for another season. I am happy Scruggs did so well, but considering Howard was a 4th round pick Howard has been a dissapointment. Not to say he is a bustbut his first season was sure a bust. Lane, Guy, Sweezy, and Suggs all got more playing time and were later picks.

I hope Howard can turn it on but I also expect us to bring in 2-3 mroe DLine through the draft and FA and with a tough competition in the preseason he will have a hard time making the roster next year.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
if Tubbs didn't have knee problems, he would be exactly the type of D Lineman the Hawks would love to have now

CANHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":qn0yuu7h said:
If we had not signed Quinn i would not have been surprised to see Howard cut next year. PC/JS are way to active to keep a unutilized DT for another season. I am happy Scruggs did so well, but considering Howard was a 4th round pick Howard has been a dissapointment. Not to say he is a bustbut his first season was sure a bust. Lane, Guy, Sweezy, and Suggs all got more playing time and were later picks.

I hope Howard can turn it on but I also expect us to bring in 2-3 mroe DLine through the draft and FA and with a tough competition in the preseason he will have a hard time making the roster next year.

Yeah, Howard is definitley in that bottom 1/3 of the roster that Pete and John like to keep under a constant churn. I love that concept as it makes the cream rise to the top. Having Quinn on board now likely gets Jaye a little more... not sure what the right word is... attention maybe...? opportunities...? I dunno, but I don't think it gives him any kind of license to under-achieve. Being a USC guy didn't give anyone any special treatment under Pete, so I don't think being a Florida guy is going to give anyone any special status under Quinn.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Howard will now need to 'show me' to the coaching staff to stick around. He's reported to have a good first step and reasonable power pass rushing so I guess we'll see

At present the reasons why he hasn't passed up the others on the DLine are not transparent but it appears he was out-competeted by them. Seems to be an underachiever so far.